An introduction to 3ds Max and Skyrim

canderes

people please help me :(
why cannot i use scale scale transforms in my skyrim anims?

to be clear, here's a test case: i want my forearm to scale to double the size in idle animation

16iseiw.jpg

but all i get is translation of children bones (arm, fingers)

1zzkr2w.jpg

i've searched ans searched and searched... but all i'm getting is a vague information about scale bones. although i'm still not sure if they are really related to scale in animation, not scale in ECE or some SKSE calls.

if scale bones are what i need, can someone please explain their use and meaning to me?
otherwise, can you please give me a hint? using other methods then HCT? nifscope edits of skeleton or body flags? sacrificing to gods? :blink:

Hello guys, Im fairly new to skyrim modding (started yesterday eheem) and Im glad to find this thread here :) I made a quick bikini mesh for testing porposes, set it up and exported my nifs with 3ds max (did extremly basic skinning with the skin warp modifier in max) okay so good so far. I already made the 0_ and the 1_ version but I wanted to test 0_ in game. 

post-570193-0-29523000-1411413659_thumb.png

So I opended the new o_ nif with nifskope, deleted the shaders,  made new ones bal bla balaaa, added a crappy pink texture to the b ikini (only for testing purposes, Ill make a right texture later when I finally get everything to work in game...) and I expected everything to work in game.

I was wrong. I put the deadric armor (I replaced for testing purposes) on my char and well... she was just naked?? I dont have alpha properties or something in the nif. This is how the nif looks:

post-570193-0-65745300-1411413858_thumb.png

And ofc I replaced my nif files with the vanilla ones in the game data directory.

post-570193-0-27076700-1411413890_thumb.png

I really dont know why it gives my the nude base body in game. But as i said Im a total noob. I hope people can explain me what went wrong and how to fix that stuff :( 

Hey canderes, what do I do if I need a nif plugin for 3DS Max 2014? This issue stopped me from getting back into Skyrim modding the other day. :-/

http://tesrenewal.com/forums/tools-and-coding/nif-importexport-plugin-for-3dsmax-2013

Despite the name, the above plugin works for 2014 just fine. (Warning, it does not import skeletons as bones in case you need to do stuff like animations and all that. You can download provided .max scene files though to get around that.)

Hey canderes, what do I do if I need a nif plugin for 3DS Max 2014? This issue stopped me from getting back into Skyrim modding the other day. :-/

http://tesrenewal.com/forums/tools-and-coding/nif-importexport-plugin-for-3dsmax-2013

Despite the name, the above plugin works for 2014 just fine. (Warning, it does not import skeletons as bones in case you need to do stuff like animations and all that. You can download provided .max scene files though to get around that.)

I read all about that on different sites. Perhaps I should have downloaded it. I read something about problems with it on 2014 somewhere along the way, which is why I didn't get it. I suppose I should at least try.

Thanks blabba! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys its me again noob number 21376582458.

I hope Im in the right thread this time so I made a nun outfit thingy consisting of 3 parts (bodysuit, heels and a head accessory). Bodysuit and Heels are working fine with the hdt high heels system and I had to make a proper weight paint for the lower part of the bodysuit and now there are now longer clipping issues so what i wanna say I want o finish the full outfit but I planned to add physics to the cloth piece of the head accessory. 

33sl6acm4x8r.png

I saw the tutorials here in this thread and the autopilot tutorial (orginally for hair physics) and now my question is: How many bones can I add to the accessory to get a 'good looking and fluent movement' of the cloth piece of the head accessory? Do I need to make a bone for every fold I meshed to make it look realistic? (so I would end up with 8 bones???) Or is there a limit somehow?

Thank you guys for answering, please have mercy with a bloody beginner like me :0

I honestly can't think of any good way to use the current restraints to add physics to your faux-physics mesh.

Personally I don't think there is any good way to get the lame havok physics to do your mesh justice in-game.

You can try 8 bones or so, but do note that higher bone count = better simulation of physics.

It also means a close to exponential increase in performance impact.

@blabba and @gerra6: Hmm okay guys thanks to y'all maybe I expected too much from thr havok physics ;() I meshed some folds in the cape thingy thats why its even more weird looking in game ahahaa these static folds ughh guys its really weird. But I guess I'll release the rest of the outfit without the head piece. fail project. When I have time I'll try to add 8 bones and see how even more weird its gonna be looking :P

So what pieces are worth to add havok physics to them? Only hairs and long dresses? Btw is there a way to add physics to a originally static mesh that has no skeleton? Because I made a container object (a kind of blackboard thing with hanging bags from it (where the outfit is purchasable) and it would be nice if these bags could somehow move like grass etc.

Or is this not possible? :P 

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best way to create a tight bodysuit.

Copy body and scale it a bit or just use current body and change textures/paint new textures over the body ?

But what if I wanted to do body gaps ( like belly/boob gap )? 1st way seems better here.

If you wanted to do it that way, you could then use the element or polygon "Selection" tools to select the parts you want to remove, then go to "Detach" in the Geometry panel, detach the parts as a new object, and then delete it. This will remove the desired parts without breaking the skin. This is exactly how I do the body meshes for my (more recent) armours. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Canderes and all,

I am trying to add physics, bones to one of the Azars ponytail mod. So it can become dynamic. But I dont know how to do it. I tried to use one of the skyrim vanilla hair. using 3d max 2012. have the nifscope and plugins to import hair mesh skeleton but unable to add bones to Azhar ponytail.

I am following your video tutorial to do so. please help.

• 1 year later...

thanks for your tutorial. I'm want to learn some 3ds modelling , but now I have confronted a problem .When using  havoc content tools , in the havoc tools framework  window, I don't know how to select or drag a rigid object, only to see them fly everywhere. errr, help .

Archived