[Stellaris] Modding Help, Ideas and Suggestions

Okay, so the you should report your problems with the traits to the corresponding mods threads, in your case it's Sexual Traits and Sexy Xenos threads, as Make Space Sexy Again only add a couple of specific traits (with only two being selectable from the empire creation menu).

However note that different mods adding the same type of traits isn't an issue in itself, since it come from two mods, so different mod authors with different ideas. On a side note, Sexual Traits hasn't been updated since a long time, so I would say it's normal to see other mods doing similar traits now.

Regarding .dds files, GIMP with the .dds plugin is what I use and I've rarely had issues saving images.

I know there's some minor overlap with traits between the existing mods, a couple traits I think, but I'm not sure which ones off the top of my head.

Also, I know there's going to be some overlap with the three "nudity" traits from the mod I'm working on and the nudity trait from Sexy Xenos. Sexy Xenos' being a massive habitability bonus, while the three I've made take an empire opinion modifier approach with three different variants of nudity (pleasant, repulsive and prudish).

I'm also scrapping the civics I had planned since the policies added to Make Space Sexy Again cover what I had been planning in a much better way. I'm going to keep the government types though, but I'm probably going to weight them around traits and policies instead.

Speaking of, I'm not sure how soon, but I'm probably going to ask for a little assistance with the events surrounding one of my mod's other traits. Partially because events aren't as straightforward as other aspects of Stellaris modding, but also because I want to take advantage of the larger event windows the other mods have switched to.

Don't know if this is the best place to ask, but, What would be the ideal combination of government ethics if I play an empire that goes around enslaving aliens to keep them as sex slaves with good living standards? I usually go with authoritarian+militaristic while not caring much for the spiritual/materialist axis, but when it comes to xenophobe/phile,  I can't lean towards one or the other. On one hand, I want to enslave them, but on the other, I also want them to be "happy". Should I just not pick either?

1 hour ago, encon said:

Don't know if this is the best place to ask, but, What would be the ideal combination of government ethics if I play an empire that goes around enslaving aliens to keep them as sex slaves with good living standards? I usually go with authoritarian+militaristic while not caring much for the spiritual/materialist axis, but when it comes to xenophobe/phile,  I can't lean towards one or the other. On one hand, I want to enslave them, but on the other, I also want them to be "happy". Should I just not pick either?

There are a lot of ways to make pops happy, even ones in impoverished conditions. Researching cyber sex toys is +5 happiness. Pleasure districts give +10. Having the Dominant pop have a trait that boosts other species happiness, like enlarged sex organs. There is also the vanilla Harmony tradition (assuming you have Utopia) for the paradise dome.

• 3 months later...

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any suggestions for insult and compliment dialogue text related to tentacle species? I've been playing around with animated portraits and have kind of hit a wall on what to put for those two entries in the species class text.

Scratch my previous comment, I came up with something.

That said, a little preview of the squirmy, slithery things I've been trying to make.

Also, bipedal things. They don't blink like vanilla portraits since none of the vanilla portraits go any lower than the waist, which I wanted these to do, but they do breathe slightly. The guys will get dongs at some point as well. I just wanted to get the templates working before adding in the details.

Preview.thumb.png.a15c2a9192db17953828eb38370d90d5.png

Mainly working on getting a bunch of "part templates" set up right now. That way I can mix and match them by layer toggling to pump out as many different bipedal species as I feel like making. The tentacle ones are a bit less flexible since I wanted a bit more motion to them and pretty much just hijacked vanilla portraits, but there's still a few portraits I could potentially convert.

Decided I didn't like how the bipedal appearances were turning out, so I decided to completely redraw them from scratch. Remembered to draw up all of the "accessory" parts this time as well so I wasn't freehanding them on the computer.

If anyone has any suggestions for species variants let me know. I've got most of the common ones planned, but I may have missed some. Currently have them split up into two planned portrait categories:

Hominids - Human, Satyrian (original Greek), Elves, Rainbow Elves, Kemonomimi, Anubi, Draenei, Aetherian (angellic), Cthonian (demonic)

Anthronids - Feline, Canine, Equine, Cervine (deer), Leporine (rabbits), Murine (mice), Taurine (cow/bull), Lacertine (lizard), Draconine (dragon).

Now to spiffy these up digitally.

1951172257_Portrait1.thumb.png.cefd69fd90e398e2644edbad5a9966c0.png1789979478_Portrait2.thumb.png.ef9086f0c86733c0e14bc41e0b44dfef.png

I have finished the new female portrait templates I've been working on. Switched the base mesh and animations to a different vanilla portrait that not only has a lot more surface area to work with, but also doesn't cause any unusual stretching with the animations. Also, they "breathe" more noticeably than they did due to the new animation base.  ?

Males should be a bit easier to work with since the majority of the part variants can be copied over from the female templates. After that it's figuring out how to get hair and clothes to work.

Spoilered for slightly larger image than previous.

Spoiler

Preview2.thumb.png.c5bcdebf9b5d803499614cf3c22087e0.png

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the mod I'm working on. I was about to start working on a sort of size difference aspect for species traits, and the idea was to have a range of endowment sizes:
Minute < Meager < Average (no trait) < Ample < Massive

The traits were themed to include both genders too. So larger endowments means the males are hung and the females are curvy and vice versa for smaller endowments.

From there if two or more species of different endowment sizes shared a planet there was a chance, depending on how far apart on the scale they were, of a pop taking on more than they can handle when getting down and dirty with more well-endowed pops. Resulting in a negative species trait being applied.

The problem is, with the upcoming removal of individual pops the resulting effect won't be as visible as it would be now. It would still be there, but instead of seeing an individual pop with the negative trait applied you'd likely only see a new sliver in the population demographics chart as that trait would technically create a new "subspecies."

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on alternatives that would have a more visible effect, or if I should just trim it down to simple, random alerts that just add temporary modifiers to the affected planets?

Here's an idea. Just a simple mod which makes the Leader appear in bondage gear and nude if you have forcibly vassalized them. The bondage gear assets can be taken from Nessa's real human slaves. I tried making it a long time ago and it kinda worked, but only sometimes for some reason. Would appreciate if somebody implements it.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm using mods from here and my game crashes whenever I try to click on another empire or to communicate with them (diplomacy).  I think it might have to do with the new portraits they have but that didn't seem to mess anything up when I started. 

It somewhat depends on what exactly you want to do, but you'll want to use an on_action no matter what.

# A war has ended
# Root = Loser
# From = Main Winner
on_war_ended = {
    events = {
    }
}

There's a bunch of on_actions and the best way to figure out which to use and when is to go digging in the vanilla files yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 11:52 PM, Hunter136 said:

So I'm a very direct learner, anyone with experience think they can help me set up an event?

Well my suggestion is, as always, to look at vanilla files and mods to see how people coded their own events. That's how I learned how to mod. 

If you are having a specific problem/concept you are working on I'm always happy to help, but I would prefer to do so after you've done a bit of self study first.

Been stuck on this problem for almost an hour and a half now so I figured it was time to try outsourcing some help, I've gotten icons and effects of traits to show up but the localisation files haven't replaced the coded names and descriptions like they should've. BTW currently using Atom as my code editor, if that's relevant

edit: Nevermind, must've forgotten to save after changing the file name