[mod] [Stellaris] Sexual gameplay

On 4/26/2018 at 3:13 PM, darkspleen said:

Its a well known fact that several of the mechanics in this mod is causing major lag issues. However it causing MORE lag on BETTER computers is.... really fucking weird. Honestly I don't know why it would do that. If I had to hazard a guess its because the faster computer is able to call on the events more. That's really weird....

Graphical settings should, honestly, have no baring on whether this mod causes lag or not.

It's not all that crazy: Maybe the aspect only operates on a single core. Old computers may have fewer but fast cores when newer computers are designed to split things between more cores. So the fancy new computer has 4 cores which are individually slower than your old 1-core PC, and so that 1/4th of the CPU gets clogged up... and every other script has to wait in line too now... etc

Sorry JesusKreist I didn't see the word active there.

Now, what kind of lagdowns are you getting? What does the speed arrow animation do in the upper right when you get them?

What does task manager say when you are getting them, as in is there a program or something that is fighting the game for resources? (I ask this cause of windows superfetch and that some anti-viruses has to scan a file before it is accessed every time it is accessed causing strain on hard-drive and cpu alike.)
Have you tried playing with cpu affinities and priorities in task manager(assuming you are on windows.)

I am assuming that you also got drivers for the chipset on your motherboard when the system was put together and not using the generic windows one.

I am also assuming that you don't have a bunch of background applications running, or have a bunch of tabs in an open internet browser.

I know that the mod is not that optimized it just is that it seams something is compounding the issue, because there is no reasonable reason why my 1.3L hatchback can out tow your F250; so to speak.

3 hours ago, Dramegno said:

<snip on all the technical questions>

While I think your points are valid, it's a pretty damning defense for a mod to suggest that a multitude of hoops need to be jumped through in order for it to be "kind of" serviceable.

I think (and I have literally zero proof of this) the biggest problem for speed is that MTTH of every trigger is being checked for every pop in the galaxy every day.

my comp is a dino (I don't meet minimum specs for stellaris) and for some reason I don't seem to have a major lag issue with this mod. I am not saying that it doesn't run slower with this mod but I don't have stutters with the current version of this mod. I haven't tried the balanced variant yet though. I did experience lots of micro-stutter on version 1.3.2 of this mod no matter how I started, also I used the balanced version of 1.3.2. Now also I haven't tried yet to see if the interbreeding traits scrips are even running in my game, I have started a game to test to see if it is. In case it matters I am running stellaris and os off of the same ssd.

6 hours ago, Dramegno said:

The problem has absolutely nothing to do with my computer and is solely caused by the mod. I thus far found the event file for the perfect hybrid. There may or may not be other parts of the scripts that cause issues. As said after removing this file from the mods folder the lags have been vastly reduced.

Maybe the trigger itself for the lag is the "too new" CPU architecture.

As previously said on my old dinosaur of a computer with the same files that problem wasn't present.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:34 PM, Virodhi said:

So I've been trying out different versions, and this is the result. Completey clean install of Stellaris, with this as the only active mod. Each version is tested twice, with "perfect interspecial incubator" as the only species trait - first without a syncretic species, and then with a syncretic species. The game runs one year with no expansion to other planets.

1.3.2 - works as intended.

1.3.2 balanced - works as intended, but with a syncretic species (and presumably other xenos as well - i only run the game for a year to check) I get the "xeno incubator breeding with xenos" popup several times.

1.3.3 - issue mentioned above. Species starts breeding with xenos, even when there are none present. All pops on a planet are flagged as breeding with non-existent xeno males.

1.3.3 balanced - same as 1.3.3

On the plus side, I'm not getting any of the lag that seems to bother some of the others, so that's something I guess! I'll stick with 1.3.2 for now.

hmm thats really strange, I wish I could help more but its a bit hard for me to do that when I don't seem to be getting the issue, theres one other person thats also experiencing this issue now too but so far no one else has complained about that in the past two months haha, I will see if I find anything thanks for the heads up

2 hours ago, Comrade Necron said:

For some reason Perfect interspecial incubators get the "breeding with xeno pops" thing even if they're the only species on the planet, I.e. immediately after start

You're the second person thats mentioned that very strange indeed, I can't seem to replicate the issue!

9 hours ago, JesusKreist said:

The problem has absolutely nothing to do with my computer and is solely caused by the mod. I thus far found the event file for the perfect hybrid. There may or may not be other parts of the scripts that cause issues. As said after removing this file from the mods folder the lags have been vastly reduced.

Maybe the trigger itself for the lag is the "too new" CPU architecture.

As previously said on my old dinosaur of a computer with the same files that problem wasn't present.

Yes I am aware this mod causes some serious lag, I've been trying to figure it out for some time now, I will have a look at adjusting the hybrid events to see if I can activate it using pop on_actions

15 hours ago, wolfiespring said:

its the elves mod

4 hours ago, Comrade Necron said:

ah, I guess I'll stop messing with that for now then.

Alas, it really, really is not.

Exhibit #1 - a screenshot from a clean install of Stellaris with Sexual gameplay 1.3.3 balanced as the ONLY mod. Note every pop on the planet being flagged as breeding with xenos - even the one who is still growing.

image.thumb.png.01284b20867104ae4ce94d4529bea2ed.png

Problem: the random traits make sure interspecies offspring are never more useful than the ones I choose and design. As a result, the best thing I can do with them in every game I have played is turn them into food.

Suggestion: interspecies breeding reproduces one of the parent species, however it adds a special interspecies-only trait that generates unity and a trait that makes their fertility very low. (Both parent races are now more united via offspring, but mules don't breed...) Later they could be genetically altered to remove the fertility penalty, naturally.

3 hours ago, SexDwarf2250 said:

Which civics did you pick?

I've tried several variants in the course of my testing, just to see if I could spot a pattern. That particular species had Aristocratic Elite and Efficient Bureaucracy (also Fanatic Authoritarian/Materialist - Despotic Hegemony).

It's all odd, but I'm fine sticking with 1.3.2 for now. Niven's not too far off, so I'll wait and see if the post-update breaking and fixing of mods changes things.

Hit "Download this file".

And prepare for an ordeal to install the mod.

Extract the downloaded archive and put the files into C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod

Yes that process is way harder than hitting the subscribe button in the steam workshop.

After mucking around with the mod and the files, and playing with the debug tooltips on, there seem to be two components to the bug where interbreeder pops will spontaneously reproduce without aliens on the planet even at game start. The first is the has_blocker = tb_tentacle check, where this mod checks for a tileblocker defined by the Make Space Sexy Again mod. Without MSSA, that apparantly gets resolved as true with any tile blocker at all present. This normally shouldn't do anything because you'd also need the technology required for planets with tentacles to have the can_breed_wildlife flag, but either fallen empires or advanced empires, I'm not sure which, are starting with the wildlife taming technology, firing the event to set the safe_wildlife flag on all planets on the map.

On 4/30/2018 at 1:10 AM, schni11 said:

After mucking around with the mod and the files, and playing with the debug tooltips on, there seem to be two components to the bug where interbreeder pops will spontaneously reproduce without aliens on the planet even at game start. The first is the has_blocker = tb_tentacle check, where this mod checks for a tileblocker defined by the Make Space Sexy Again mod. Without MSSA, that apparantly gets resolved as true with any tile blocker at all present. This normally shouldn't do anything because you'd also need the technology required for planets with tentacles to have the can_breed_wildlife flag, but either fallen empires or advanced empires, I'm not sure which, are starting with the wildlife taming technology, firing the event to set the safe_wildlife flag on all planets on the map.

AHAAAAA that must be it! great job on spotting the error! I'll see what I can do to fix it, will take time though since I'm quite busy but I will try my best to patch it, thanks!

8 hours ago, Dwari225 said:

hmm i'm trying to change how the Perfect interspecial incubators perk works, Which lines would I have to edit to make is so that other species get a massive population boost instead of the listed 10%?

Check the statics modifier file

I looked at how you did the events and i think i found the reason for the lag :

Yours events are checked waaaay too aggressively by the game, thanks to the very short mean_time_to_happen and big triggers (Like every_pop)

Just for the brood parasite, you're checking every pop of every planet in the galaxy every 6 days !

I tried to use a bigger MTTH, but even with 3 month it's still laggy. (And also it create new bugs)

You must use on_actions for events like this, otherwise the game will be slow as hell later in the game, even on a small galaxy.

I don't know if you use the wiki of Stellaris so i will drop the link here.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Modding

But even with this problem, your mod is very fun !

8 hours ago, Nalca said:

I looked at how you did the events and i think i found the reason for the lag :

Yours events are checked waaaay too aggressively by the game, thanks to the very short mean_time_to_happen and big triggers (Like every_pop)

Just for the brood parasite, you're checking every pop of every planet in the galaxy every 6 days !

Not totally familiar with the mechanics, but...

Best in this case (in addition to using on_action) might be to use pop numbers of races with the perk, per planet, as %. So if a planet has 5 brood parasites with available hosts (available # being total planet pop - brood parasites) there is 5x10% chance of parasites, etc.

It could be even faster if it could be done on a nation-wide scale, first, perhaps at least as a check. Ie if a nation has no races with the brood host trait, skip them. Otherwise, start checking planets.

What about instead of checking for condition to happen and then trigger it, you make it a 'law / policy' instead?

Like if you have tb_tentacle or tb_wildlife + inter-breed trait , you can select 'xeno breed' law. After selecting law, it then apply the 'modifier' (I don't know what's its technical name) to everypop and  no longer check every pop every 6 days. When new pop is generated/migrate it check if this law is selected and apply the 'modifier'.

This way any race that didn't have the trait won't even bother checking under any situation, saving even more processing power.

To avoid cheese maybe if this law is selected, those tile blocker is 'locked' and cannot be removed. Or just ignore it and pretend there's tiny reserve area that didn't appear on the map where people keep their 'partner'.

How exactly does the Perfect interspecial incubator perk work? I tried to give my species robots with an artificial womb so they could reproduce with their robots instead of still needing an other inferior species. But for some reason they still don't start producing offspring. Don't robots with artifical womb count as organics? If so what exactly is the benefit of having robots with articial womb?