[Fallout 4 VR] Working Adult Mods

Most things do seem to work and apparently you can plug in the DLCs from standard Fallout 4 and they work, although there are some missing textures, so I think even mods that rely on the DLC will work.

3 hours ago, number1blind said:

Oh by the way I am using Nexus Mod Manager to install mods, just direct it to Fallout 4 VR instead of Fallout 4.

I had issues doing this where it wouldn't copy the meshes etc from mods, it would only copy over the esm/esp 

59 minutes ago, number1blind said:

Sorry I wouldn't normally do this, but could you advise me on how you got Armored Leotard working please? I can't get anything that requires crafting to work, either manually or through the Mod Manager.

There's a couple of things that you need to do and a couple of ways of doing it :smile:

Easy Method - if you already own 2D Fallout 4

1. Install 2D Fallout 4 and all DLC

2. Install all your mods that you want in the VR version to the 2D version using your Mod Manager

3. Copy all the new files (esp, esm etc) in the 2D Fallout 4 data folder including the sub folders and the DLC files to your Fallout 4 VR data folder.

4. Tricky bit - navigate to your local appdata folder - usually c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\ (folder may be hidden)

5. In that folder you should have a Fallout4 and Fallout4VR folder. Copy DLCList.txt, loadorder.txt & plugins.txt from the Fallout4 folder to the Fallout4VR folder

6. Check your documents/my games/ fallout4VR/Fallout4VrCustom.ini file and ensure the following lines are present...

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

7. Start Fallout 4 VR - all your mods should load.

Tricky Manual Method

1. Manually copy the mods files into your Fallout4VR data folder. Which files you need to copy vary from mod to mod and some are setup to use the Mod Manager scripts to choose various versions etc so it can be tricky to workout which one you need.

2. Tricky bit - navigate to your local appdata folder - usually c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Fallout4VR (folder may be hidden)

3. See if DLCList.txt, loadorder.txt & plugins.txt exist. If not create them or, if they do exist, edit them as follows...

DLCList.txt - always the same (delete any DLC you don't own)

DLCCoast.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm

loadorder.txt - Fallout4_VR.esm is always 1st followed by your other mods, in this case Amoured Leotards.

Fallout4_VR.esm

CBBE.esp

ApalLeotard.esp

plugins.txt - this is the list of active esm/esp files. Active files are denoted by a * before them

*CBBE.esp

*ApalLeotard.esp

4. Check your documents/my games/ fallout4VR/Fallout4VrCustom.ini file and ensure the following lines are present...

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

5. Start Fallout 4 VR - all your mods should load.

Hope that helps :smile:

Have I understand it correctly that the only thing F4SE is needed for in Four Play is stripping the involved actors? It should be easy to implement another stripping method that does not require F4SE by using a combination of Actor.UnequipItemSlot() and listening to unequip events to learn what got unequipped. Why is the normal version of Four Play not using this method, is there anything that speaks against it?

47 minutes ago, lordescobar666 said:

Have I understand it correctly that the only thing F4SE is needed for in Four Play is stripping the involved actors? It should be easy to implement another stripping method that does not require F4SE by using a combination of Actor.UnequipItemSlot() and listening to unequip events to learn what got unequipped. Why is the normal version of Four Play not using this method, is there anything that speaks against it?

It doesn't return a value. From what I understand the problem is not the stripping but the dressing after that. There is no way to know what was stripped in order to equip it again. F4SE gives access to the outfit of the actor. 

I believe a solution for this would be to randomly choose items from leveled lists for the actor and to hardcode outfits for the NPCs that have their own specific one.

1 hour ago, lordescobar666 said:

But whenever an item is unequipped an OnUnequippedItem() Event should be emitted which gives you exactly this information.

Maybe it will, I guess it needs to be tested. 

Way back then I wanted to make mod that would make the NPCs sleep naked and I gave up for that reason. There were 1 or 2 mods that were undressing actors and after that were dressing them with other outfits. That's why it is stuck in my memory that this is the problem. But of course I might be wrong.

Added: I can't find a single mention of OnUnequippedItem in relation to FO4 online. 

12 hours ago, ilostmysn1210 said:

Has anyone here tried playing Fallout 4 + vorpX? Is it worth it or is fallout VR better?

I assume it's a pick your own poison. Fallout 4 will allow mods out of the box, but Fallout VR requires hoop jumping.

Let me know! I'm getting my VR headset this xmas.

I have VorpX and quite frankly compared to proper Fallout 4 VR it sucks and makes me sick almost straight away - I just can't deal with aiming with a pad or by using my head.

Proper Fallout 4 VR connects your Pipboy and your current weapon to your hands allowing you to aim properly, there's nothing better than peeking round a corner, seeing a hiding Raider then aiming your shotgun round the corner and giving them both barrels without exposing yourself. That's something you can't do with VorpX or even in the original game!

You then get a choice of locomotion to suit your tastes and bullet time VATS (slowing time just as a feral ghoul lunges at you allowing you to headshot it and watch it fly by spewing blood never gets old!)

It's not perfect, but it is 1000 times better than the experience VorpX gives you and the hoop jumping for mods is minimal really.

But all this requires a HTC VIVE. There are some serious issues when using the Rift, although they will probably get fixes eventually.

I consider VorpX an essential VR software and it is responsible for most of my time in VR until now. I have spent more than 100 hours playing Oldrim alone via VorpX. 

With FO4 it is complicated. I guess it depends on what you consider important and what kind of problems you are willing to overlook. So if you are a shooter fan then it is simple - the vanilla FO4 port is all you need. And there are quite a lot of other games where you get to shoot at stuff.  I'm not - so for me VorpX was almost the only way to enjoy experiences I like in VR.

The problem I have with FO4VR now is - I think it is a bad and lazy port. I would definitely not show it to people when demoing the Vive and I believe it is a very bad intro to VR for people who have never experienced it. It is :

- unoptimized - has problems with OC'd 7700k and 1080ti, the assets are taken directly from Flatout4 with no optimization;

- gimmicky - there are controllers rendered in-game which is a very serious sin that even the cheapest indie game doesn't dare commit;

- it has further stripped what few RP elements were in the flat game - it not only completely locks out 3rd person view but also removes any visual cues of the player character;

- schizophrenic - it is a 1st person only experience visually, but the voiced protagonist and the dialogue system are kept intact so there is a voice in your head speaking to NPC's and you have no idea what it is going to say, so you just stand there pressing frantically the right touchpad hoping everybody will shut up already;

- controls are ... umm.. not optimal and un-rebindable

However since it is a Bethesda game, most of those issues can be fixed via mods. People are experimenting and soon we will have a better idea how many of the bigger flaws of the port are fixable. Since it is basically the same game, all mods work (excluding the functionality that relies on F4SE). DLC's can be manually enabled. Playing them can create problems, but they can at least be enabled so any mod that requires them can be used. 

So specifically about FO4 - while I really do not like the vanilla port I still think it is the better option for playing the game in VR than via VorpX. However this is not the case for Skyrim. Flatout 4 was already a gamey shootery action game, the port just brings that further. However butchering Skyrim the same way would be painful and terrible experience. We'll need to wait and see what (if anything ) did Bethesda learn from this first wave of ports. But for now I do believe that for playing Skyrim with VR the best option is to try and mod Oldrim in a way to make it better VR experience via VorpX. Since I do not believe Bethesda will be able to create a port of Skyrim that will even be redeemable.

To be completely honest I wish Bethesda didn't even consider making those ports. This way the focus of the community would have been in modding in as much as VR support as possible into the flat games via VorpX. And if the PC VR port of Skyrim will be just a small update to the PSVR port that was released in November I hope they decide to not release it.

Added: 

I think my personal preference for FO4VR and not FO4 via VorpX is mostly because of the way the free locomotion works. The relative to the controller motion is the one I like and feel comfortable with and it is in the vanilla port, but is not possible with VorpX.

Added:

Here are two discussions about FO4VR vs VorpX: one and two.

One more thing - seems the saves between Fo4VR and Flatout4 are compatible. But nobody is sure for now if it is safe to use them between the games. If it is then it would be the perfect solution - switch between the two depending on what do you feel like doing at the moment. 

I do agree that it is a lazy port to VR especially when a lot of the visual issues can be cleared up with some ini tweaks. I'm running on a 1070 and it seems perfectly smooth for me now and the image quality seems absolutely fine.

What really does annoy me though is that it didn't just ship with these settings already correctly set. I've just found the fix for the stars appearing below the clouds...

edit your Fallout4VrCustom.ini with the following...

[VR]

fSkyScaleFactor=5000.0

I mean, did no-one in testing see that? Then you have the complete fiasco with the TAA settings making everything look terrible which were easily cleared up with some more ini settings (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7jkk8g/permafix_for_fallout_vr_fps_issues_ugly_taa_and/). Again, no real excuse for it shipping with poorly optimised settings seeing as they must have been using the same VIVE hardware.

For all the issues though it is still a great piece of VR gaming and I have now spent more time in F4VR than in any other VR game. It also bodes very well for future AAA games that are designed with VR in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

when running a sex animation on a NPC, I can't get close to the animated NPC, they keep teleporting back, so can't put my VR self/position in place where the 2nd actor would be.

does anyone have a fix for this? was wondering if it's a camera fix?