OMG the Hypocrisy

Shadowhawk827

I was really hesitant about getting FO4. It seems the prettier the game, the more hollow it becomes.

Mods really are the only reason I continue to purchase their games (modable ones) as I found even the newer Wolfenstein an annoying console port compared to the wonderful one released over 10 years ago.

They know the ability to mod their sandbox games is a big draw, but don't seem to understand that it's this freedom which made us willing to put up with a sub standard product. Because the time in between games is getting longer, my bet is on them playing the long game, weeding out us 'older' gamer's whom won't put up with it, while trying to indoctrinate newer players to 'this is how it is'.

EA was a go-to company for me back in the late 80's and thru the 90's. Now I cringe when I hear the name. Bethesda is getting there as well. Shame.

The only port I like comes in a bottle with a cork.

On 12/9/2017 at 4:03 AM, myuhinny said:

Glad I stopped buying their shit.

I never paid for their shit to begin with.

I mean...PIRACY IS BAD, MMKAY?

On 12/10/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

It feels like Bethesda doesn't understand or appreciate what modders have done for their games.

Of course they don't, that's not even a feeling, it's a truth

On 2/6/2018 at 3:27 PM, RussianPrince said:

I never paid for their shit to begin with.

I mean...PIRACY IS BAD, MMKAY?

Of course they don't, that's not even a feeling, it's a truth

What is there to appreciate it's all about the money and lootboxes (lol jokes aside)

If they going to be this greedy about this they might as well make a legal copywrite to say modding is illegal for their game if they getting offended that the modders are doing a better job making their game fun then before the mods.

3 hours ago, Deviljho-san said:

If they going to be this greedy about this they might as well make a legal copywrite to say modding is illegal for their game if they getting offended that the modders are doing a better job making their game fun then before the mods.

They won't do that for two reasons. 1) It would destroy what little public relations they have left and tank the company. 2) They would have to admit they're butthurt by the fact that people working for free do a better job than they themselves can do.

3 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

They would have to admit they're butthurt by the fact that people working for free do a better job than they themselves can do.

Pete Hines should just say this already. If he doesn't I'll just harass him on Twitter until he does.

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I think ol' Pete "Fines" would rather drop dead from a massive, painful heart attack than admit that.

I'll just have to arrange for that to happen, then. You wouldn't believe the people I know even if I took selfies with them!

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2017 at 2:52 AM, Shadowhawk827 said:

I saw this tonight on the Bethesda forums and I almost died of hypocrisy poisoning.  This from Jleavey; their Community manager.

Recently we’ve received an influx of queries related to the ability to receive funding for mod projects, including crowd sourced sites like KickStarter and Patreon. Per the language defined in the our EULA for the Creation Kit, this practice is not allowed.

In section 1 of the EULA, the following details are outline:

B. No Fees for Use. In exchange for the Editor being provided to you free of charge, You agree that You will not charge or require, directly or indirectly, a fee or other consideration for others to download, install or use Your Game Mods, including without limitation selling, licensing or other commercial distribution or commercial exploitation (e.g., by renting, licensing, sublicensing, leasing, disseminating, uploading, downloading, transmitting, whether on a pay-per-play basis or otherwise) of any Game Mods without the express prior written consent of an authorized representative of ZeniMax. This includes distributing a Game Mods as part of any compilation You and/or other users may create. You further agree not to charge, accept or solicit, directly or indirectly, fees or non-monetary contributions for developing or creating Game Mods, including without limitation fees collected through “crowd funding.” However, the foregoing limitations in this Section shall not apply if and to the extent such agreement violates applicable law. You further agree that You are only permitted to distribute the Game Mods to users who have purchased the Product through authorized and legitimate distribution channels, solely for use with such users’ own authorized copies of such Product and in accordance with and subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and all applicable laws

So bottom line, their own TOS for the CK says mods have to be free...  At least unless there's a buck in it for them.

Just.....  WOW.

Fuck em...

Their creation kit is buggier than the game itself is, not to mention there is a TON of work that goes into mods that happens outside of CK. Albeit small, but take tattooes for instance. Creating tattoo layers doesnt require CK at all. You grab a map, again CK not needed, nor are game files since you can design one yourself, do youe editting in photoshop, paint.net or any other programs, write the JSON script if being called by another mod/function. Zip it up, send it out. CK not included.

Scripting, texturing, modeling , mapping, linking textures to models, allll takes place outside of the creation kit.

Also, Patreon REQUIRES that any and all adult content be locked behind a Patron subscription (free) or a pay tier. Again, they are not "Donating to use the mod" they are "Donating" to support the person creating all that stuff that Bethesda barely hsa the brain power to do considering everything theyve ever made is 60% broken on release.

I give no cares about Bethesda trying to shut down creativity or make a buck off the backs of people who do a lot better of a job than they ever will.

Sorry to be so frank, and while the games might be fun, I hate the principles of the company.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived