Petition To Revoke EA's Star Wars Licence

DickTracy

4 hours ago, Cema said:

There are still people buying EA games?

They must be dumb as fuck !

Of course, there are many who continue to buy EA games!
But EA is not the only corrupt company, also UBISOFT is not better!

good example: Assassin's Creed Origins.

but nobody complains except me!

I will this Game not even buy it!

that has different reasons.
1. triple copy protection, one of them is in criticism to overload the processor!
2. the price for the PC Version!
simple version approx 41.49 €, it lacks game elements!
Delux version approx 119,99 € all elements of the game are available.
but now it comes!
I have no desire for further material (armor, weapons and mounts) extra money to pay!

No way!!!

Damn this petition has really taken off.   Just over 73000 signatures just now with my sig.  I hate EA.  The last game I bought from them was Dragon Age: Inquisition and that was because of two things.  First I enjoyed the first Dragon Age.  Second I had nostalgia for BioWare.  But yeah fuck EA!

1 hour ago, johntrine said:

guys. the story of EA lootboxes 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLFNlu2N_M&t=232s

:grin::grin::grin:

Ubisoft lootboxes!

https://youtu.be/H1yxkM_St-8

Monolith Productions lootboxes!

https://youtu.be/IvztJXFPUzQ

Bethesda CC Pay Mods!

https://youtu.be/sF9pRWP_RxQ

all developers \ publishers do not get the neck full enough!

only exception * Piranha Bytes * with Elex!
a price, no lootboxes, no DLCs!

https://youtu.be/Q8H6UQrfjjg

On 11/29/2017 at 3:37 PM, DickTracy said:

Not sure if anyone here would be interested in signing a petion to have EA's Star Wars Licence revoked so they cannot trash the franchise any further than they already have, so I am leaving it here just in case anyone is interested.

https://www.change.org/p/lucasfilm-revoke-ea-s-star-wars-license

That's very nice of you for putting up petition on the site. You see, in my country petition never works for no matter how many citizens sighed them, the authorities always did as they wanted. So, I learned to know to not to relay on winning the case by petitions. I hope your will work out. :)

Give this a couple of months. Nobody will remember it that clearly besides a few "cranks" and "anti-EA fanatics" (read: people with long-term memories). Some new outrage will come along and the sheeple will latch onto that. It's sick and disheartening, but that's the way it's always been. That's how politicians keep getting reelected, why we keep going to see movies with actors that are human waste, and what keeps companies like EA in business.

Misanthropic? No, I'm not misanthropic! I'm just a humble little lemming! :exclamation:

21 minutes ago, JackBikwik said:

lol this isn't how business works, guys.  I mean, I hate EA as much as the next guy, but this is some weird naive slacktivism. 

If you want shit to change, talk with your wallet.

I'd say a 3.1 BILLION dollar hit to EA's company value says people are doing that too.

10 years ago this wasn't how business works.  Nowadays companies are VERY aware of how social media and campaigns like this can impact their image and bottom line.  Some companies are more responsive than others but still...  Disney is one of those companies BTW.  As much as I bad mouthed them earlier in this thread for being willing to market anything to anyone, they're also EXTREMELY PC and image conscious.  The last thing they want is their positive image damaged by EA's zaibatsu business practices.

Will it get the license ganked?  Maybe, maybe not.  It'll enact some level of change though.  Disney's CEO already called EA and told them to straighten this mess out or else.

3 hours ago, Shadowhawk827 said:

I'd say a 3.1 BILLION dollar hit to EA's company value says people are doing that too.

10 years ago this wasn't how business works.  Nowadays companies are VERY aware of how social media and campaigns like this can impact their image and bottom line.  Some companies are more responsive than others but still...  Disney is one of those companies BTW.  As much as I bad mouthed them earlier in this thread for being willing to market anything to anyone, they're also EXTREMELY PC and image conscious.  The last thing they want is their positive image damaged by EA's zaibatsu business practices.

Will it get the license ganked?  Maybe, maybe not.  It'll enact some level of change though.  Disney's CEO already called EA and told them to straighten this mess out or else.

pffft. have you even heard the news about EA's latest board meeting with their investors or maybe seen their latest game UFC? they don't give a fuuuuuuuck, boi.

15 hours ago, johntrine said:

pffft. have you even heard the news about EA's latest board meeting with their investors or maybe seen their latest game UFC? they don't give a fuuuuuuuck, boi.

Stop and think for a minute. A $3.1 billion drop in value. Because the customers boycotted them. Assuming they don't get locked into a cycle of investors selling their shares in a panic, their name is mud among potential investors. Nobody who plays the markets is going to want to invest in a company that hurts the bottom line so spectacularly. Plus other corporate sharks already smell the blood in the water and will no doubt try and get a bite. It would surprise me if EA survived the 2018 fiscal year intact.

21 hours ago, JackBikwik said:

lol this isn't how business works, guys.  I mean, I hate EA as much as the next guy, but this is some weird naive slacktivism. 

If you want shit to change, talk with your wallet.

+1. A commercial license is an authorization to make money balanced by a fee set by contract. Unless there is a specific mention in the contract, it's very unlikely that the selling company could end the license (being bound by their contract) for one part ; and that the buying company would simply renounce to it despite the astronomical fee of that kind of license. 

At the other end, if EA's exploration of the license isn't profitable for them, they would renounce to it's future exploration by themselves. Money talk, that's the only thing making sense in that kind of domain. :)

Such a mention may have been included. As far as I know Disney has just terminated the contract with Gazilion Games for Marvel Heroes originally running until 2020. Employes got notified the day before Thanksgiving. Disney sure seems pretty protective about their IPs and associated pictures / practices / images so it just might happen.

My earlier made point exactly.  Hiding apathy behind a definition of contract law and how a license works doesn't change that.

Let me break it down in the simplest terms.  Yes money is actually what changes things in a capitalist business model.  Consumers don't buy, company loses money.  Consumers are ALREADY not buying AND damaging the EA and Disney / LucasArts brand by spreading how terrible the products are.  ONCE AGAIN, it's cost EA 3.1 BILLION dollars in lost value.  I did a price check on their stock.  As of December 1st (last day of active trading), the company had lost just shy of 1/10th of it's total value from it's all time high.

413682396.jpg

If you notice, even after the market closed Friday, EA still lost another 2/10s of a percent of it's value in after hours trading.

Show me any company that takes losing 3.1 billion dollars lightly and is still on a downhill slide, I'll show you a company that's out of business soon.

To top it all off, Disney has called EA and told them they're on thin ice.  They don't want their wholesome image tarnished.  It keeps them from swallowing up more and more companies while people are worried about much smaller mergers.

Weird Slacktivism is signing a petition expecting ISIS to disarm and start acknowledging the rights of women.  THIS is spreading awareness.  Awareness that changes people's spending habits and forces business to change.   It's certainly better than doing nothing but mocking those who have changed their spending habits already and are trying to do something more.

I went of Change,org and found in the first 4 pages of their "Victory" announcement, 15 or so cases where they had gotten a business to change it's practices.

Here's the most relevant one however:

https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-include-women-players-in-your-soccer-games/u/10935281

A girl got EA to put female players and teams in EA's FIFA soccer game starting in 2016.  She pulled that off with only 47,000 signatures too.

It should also be noted that the negative press this petition and the gamer outrage in general is causing has been covered by everyone from PC Gamer to major business publications:

Silicon Valley Business Journal: Electronic Arts' bungled 'Star Wars' game launch wiped out more than $3B in stock value

InvestorPlace.com - Bad Monetizing Decisions Hamstrung EA Stock

That last article even points out that " ...the situation got so intense that the holder of the Star Wars license, Walt Disney Co (NYSE:DIS), got concerned about potential harm to the brand. Even CEO Robert Iger intervened. "

What do you think that does to investors reading that?

107,053 signatures and still rising. The first 3 weeks it gained roughly 40k sigs, but now in less than a week it has gained almost 70k sigs. It is really starting to take off. I really do hope this leads to something and since it does not seem to be stopping anytime soon, it may do just that. Thankyou all for your help with this. EA has taken greed to a whole new level and needs to know that we will not stand for it.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:11 AM, Shadowhawk827 said:

What do you think that does to investors reading that?

I'm singling this out because I promise you they're not. Investors are paying attention to the stock prices and nothing else. If EA were to tank on the market, and I mean really  tank, then yes, you're getting somewhere with them.

I'm not saying "Don't put pressure on corporate systems," because that's the absolute base foundation of all counter-capitalist systems ever. What I am saying is temper your expectations. If you and others want to win this fight, you have to positively convince EA to never  go after profit over the consumer. That's going to be a very long fight.

Why? People aren't terribly bright. We're a species mired in emotion over reason, and when 99.9% of our problems are rooted in poverty and mortality, we're nowhere near as sophisticated as we would like to believe. The potential  is there, the execution  is not.

What's my point? Until we actually figure out that there are better ways to live than "He who dies with the most toys dies best," we're going to have difficulty overcoming the idea that profit is more important than product or people. i.e.: If I can sell you a sewer disguised as a palace, I can and will. (Note that doesn't reflect my actual opinion, but the general opinion of most people with sewers for sale.)

Thus:
1. Be realistic in your expectations.
2. Understand that victory, if attained, is temporary.
3. Be prepared to fight the same fight over again.
4. Realize you're fighting against something outside direct human control, e.g.: mortality and fear.

Archived