Site questions, comments, and suggestions

12 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

The website's ability to follow a post-specific link back to the specific post it references is apparently broken- I got the link below by right-clicking on the number at the top-right corner of the target post, and pasted it into another post in order to refer people back to the target post. However, after several tries, the only place the link takes me is to the very bottom of the thread, below even the Edit/Reply text-input box. This is 100% repeatable for me.

Here's the link:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/68731-hdt-smp-for-sse/?do=findComment&comment=2438879

This is a fairly important functionality and I would love to see it fixed. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, this is getting curiouser and curiouser... I tested the link above after posting it and it works perfectly. But it doesn't work when inserted into the post with a label as I did using the chain icon in the toolbar. Here is the post wherein I did that- apparently it's the url-inserting function that is broken, not the link-following function as long as the link is entered directly and cumbersomely without trying to shorten it via the link-insertion function.

Here is the post in which the inserted link is broken:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/68871-what-iswhere-is-searches-and-requests-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2440228

EDIT: sorry, thanks to a couple of friends who tested with other browsers, I have found that the problem is apparently all on my end, in Firefox. Now my issue is that I have no idea how to fix it or even begin to troubleshoot it. Sorry for the false report.

For me, Windows 7 Pro 64bits, Firefox 63.0.3 64bits aswell, the "broken link" and this direct link directs to the same post which contains the exact citation. Number 2493. I don't understand...

Well... Firefox works pretty nicely here. The only "problem" I have here is caused by one of my addons. Not a big deal though.

To @Vyxenne> I can suggest to you to test in a new Firefox profile. Yours may be buggued right now. To test that, just lanch your Brownser with the "-p" option. Like this: "firefox.exe -p".

8 hours ago, Benmc20 said:

Well... Firefox works pretty nicely here. The only "problem" I have here is caused by one of my addons. Not a big deal though.

To @Vyxenne> I can suggest to you to test in a new Firefox profile. Yours may be buggued right now. To test that, just lanch your Brownser with the "-p" option. Like this: "firefox.exe -p".

Thanks- I just tried that, logged on to LL with a new, plugin-free, default-settings profile, and the behavior was the same- it works on some links but not on any that have been shortened by displaying a label instead of the entire link. I'll post something on Mozilla's site and see if any Firefox gurus can help, I'll also consider another browser if I can find one as secure, or more secure, as/than Firefox. Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:49 PM, Vyxenne said:

Thanks- I just tried that, logged on to LL with a new, plugin-free, default-settings profile, and the behavior was the same- it works on some links but not on any that have been shortened by displaying a label instead of the entire link. I'll post something on Mozilla's site and see if any Firefox gurus can help, I'll also consider another browser if I can find one as secure, or more secure, as/than Firefox. Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

I use Firefox almost exclusively for LL and rarely if ever have any issues with it. I know that isn't helping you much except perhaps to add more to your frustration :(  But could it be something else?

I have a lot of mods that I follow, that get constantly updated, so it would be really nice if there is a method to categorize mods into groups and set group specific instructions for notifications.

I am sure a lot of people would be really happy to have this function.

29 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

I use Firefox almost exclusively for LL and rarely if ever have any issues with it. I know that isn't helping you much except perhaps to add more to your frustration :(  But could it be something else?

Well, given that it works fine with (ugh) Microsoft Internet Exploder, I have to believe that it's Firefox and not some obscure computer setting or file. I would really like to get it figured out but have no clue where to start troubleshooting. As is the case with all software publishers, the Mozilla FAQs operate from the assumption that "nothing could possibly be wrong with our software so we will devote our FAQs to admonishing users to plug their computers in to AC power and reboot their routers."

1 hour ago, Vyxenne said:

Well, given that it works fine with (ugh) Microsoft Internet Exploder, I have to believe that it's Firefox and not some obscure computer setting or file. I would really like to get it figured out but have no clue where to start troubleshooting. As is the case with all software publishers, the Mozilla FAQs operate from the assumption that "nothing could possibly be wrong with our software so we will devote our FAQs to admonishing users to plug their computers in to AC power and reboot their routers."

are you sure you removed all traces of the old Firefox and its settings when you uninstalled it. The only time I ever had any issues when reinstalling it was when some of its settings stayed around after I did the uninstall.  could be that when you uninstall a fresh version it accessed some older settings that are the cause of your troulbes. I can't figure out much other than that.

Capture.PNG

Now I am not sure it is the case but I use a cleaner and sometimes in the past I had to go in and  manually remove some remains for programs from time to time. Steam did this once and fucked up my game as a result.

15 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

are you sure you removed all traces of the old Firefox and its settings when you uninstalled it.

I don't recall ever uninstalling Firefox. Maybe way back in my Windows XP days or sometrhing... Of course I have allowed it to update itself many times, but I trusted their installer to know what to delete.

I used to use CCleaner regularly until I noticed that every time I used it, it removed all my stored/saved passwords, causing me untold aggravation since I have no idea what my passwords are (there are hundreds of them because every damned little thing you want to do online requires an "account" for no obvious reason other than phishing) and I rely on a triple-encrypted PW Manager and FF to remember them for me. So I stopped using CCleaner and that was the end of my PW troubles.

1 hour ago, Vyxenne said:

I don't recall ever uninstalling Firefox. Maybe way back in my Windows XP days or sometrhing... Of course I have allowed it to update itself many times, but I trusted their installer to know what to delete.

I used to use CCleaner regularly until I noticed that every time I used it, it removed all my stored/saved passwords, causing me untold aggravation since I have no idea what my passwords are (there are hundreds of them because every damned little thing you want to do online requires an "account" for no obvious reason other than phishing) and I rely on a triple-encrypted PW Manager and FF to remember them for me. So I stopped using CCleaner and that was the end of my PW troubles.

This crap is way more problematic than you can think. It can breack registry for example, Or, worse, can be shipped with a trojan (happened once).

To clean your system, you don't have to use such "tools". Follow these simple steps:

- go to c::\users\yourprofile\appdata\local\temp and empty it

- go to c;:\windows\temp and empty it

- open your computer manage interface (right click on the computer icon, manage). On the new window, go here:

windows_manage.png.1aab8e8600f28bbabcc3efc524323eae.png

(sorry for the french interface, youll find it easily I'm sure)

- right click on each journal (don't open them!) on the side panel and choose to empty them one by one, and don't save them, it isn't usefull for us.

- now, reboot your computer

Side note (and it's visible on my image), each journal has a 20MB size limit. When this limit is there, you can notice your computer running a bit slowly (for each journal like this).

DON'T TOUCH ON THE REGISTRY (unless you really know what you are doing).

2 hours ago, Benmc20 said:

- open your computer manage interface (right click on the computer icon, manage). On the new window, go here: 

MissingLink20181130.png.dc4097a1dab0b5bcb29f6677ef10ed4a.png

I think I'm really screwed. Normally, that's a good thing, but in this case... not so much.

Time to drag out the Windows DvD and do a repair?

15 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

MissingLink20181130.png.dc4097a1dab0b5bcb29f6677ef10ed4a.png

I think I'm really screwed. Normally, that's a good thing, but in this case... not so much.

Time to drag out the Windows DvD and do a repair?

Well... That sucks a bit there... Your Windows may be infected. Even without any administrative rights you can open this interface.

Try to clean your HDD before reinstalling. My PMs are open if needed. No need to pollute this topic anymore.

11 hours ago, Benmc20 said:

Well... That sucks a bit there... Your Windows may be infected. Even without any administrative rights you can open this interface.

Try to clean your HDD before reinstalling. My PMs are open if needed. No need to pollute this topic anymore.

Computer is not infected. Apparently, that missing shortcut is a common issue with Win7. I restored the shortcut so now I'll go back to trying to manually clean out the crap. Thanks.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:48 PM, Benmc20 said:

This crap is way more problematic than you can think. It can breack registry for example, Or, worse, can be shipped with a trojan (happened once).

To clean your system, you don't have to use such "tools". Follow these simple steps:

- go to c::\users\yourprofile\appdata\local\temp and empty it

- go to c;:\windows\temp and empty it

windows_manage.png.1aab8e8600f28bbabcc3efc524323eae.png

(sorry for the french interface, youll find it easily I'm sure)

- right click on each journal (don't open them!) on the side panel and choose to empty them one by one, and don't save them, it isn't usefull for us.

- now, reboot your computer

Side note (and it's visible on my image), each journal has a 20MB size limit. When this limit is there, you can notice your computer running a bit slowly (for each journal like this).

DON'T TOUCH ON THE REGISTRY (unless you really know what you are doing).

I got past the missing Computer Management shortcut by creating a new one, but now when I click Event Viewer (c'est l'Observateur d'évènements en anglais) I get this:

EventViewerNope.png.be1b130030ef364bc13427da7c51fac8.png

It's lovely to know that some un-named service ne va pas but which one? You would think Microsoft would be smart enough to make their error dialog name the Service needed so I could start it. But NOOOOOOOOooooooooo... :classic_angry:

There is no "Event Log Service" available for me to start, so without some guidance as to which service they're talking about, I'm done.

EventLogServiceNope.png.3f373502ce31e66dde206ef0147c21ee.png

(This is the alphabetical sort by name, so if there was a Service named "Event Log" it would show up in this view.)

Actually, I run sfc /scannow about once a month just as a matter of course. There is nothing wrong with my windows installation according to sfc. Also, I found the Event Log service- it's named "Windows Event Log" and so I was looking for it under the E's when it's hiding in the W's. I hate it when it does that. :classic_wacko:

After I found it I tried to start it and it threw a specific error message instead of the previous generic ones, so I googled the error message and found a lot of info on it- turns out it's common. The recommended fix was to reset my WMI using a netsh command, which I did, but then the next part failed (renaming the log folder) even in Safe Mode because one of the files in it was in use.

It's just a rabbit hole of errors, so I'll keep running it down via Google and thanks for your help.

10 minutes ago, Psalam said:

I have a conversation going with GenioMaestro now. We both wanted to add Donttouchmethere to the conversation but the site won't allow it. Is there something special that I need to do that I am obviously not aware of?

If it is a PM you should be able to add him to the PM.

But ask him if he disabled PMs (yes PMs can be disabled), in this case you will not be able to add him to the conversation.

Be also aware that you can have up to 10 people in the same PM.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, CPU said:

If it is a PM you should be able to add him to the PM.

But ask him if he disabled PMs (yes PMs can be disabled), in this case you will not be able to add him to the conversation.

Be also aware that you can have up to 10 people in the same PM.

Thanks as usual CPU. It is now showing that he is part of the conversation although he hasn't read it yet. ?

I hope we will keep the conversation under 10 but, you never know how interesting it will get! ?

Edit: For the benefit of anyone who looks at this later I think that only the person who started the PM in the first place (in my case GenioMaestro) can invite additional people to a conversation. At least, that appears to be what happened in my case.

3 hours ago, Psalam said:

Edit: For the benefit of anyone who looks at this later I think that only the person who started the PM in the first place (in my case GenioMaestro) can invite additional people to a conversation. At least, that appears to be what happened in my case.

Probably you are right.
I always forgot that moderators can do a little bit more (like inviting other people also if they are not the initiators of the conversation.)

3 hours ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thanks as usual CPU. It is now showing that he is part of the conversation although he hasn't read it yet. ?

I hope we will keep the conversation under 10 but, you never know how interesting it will get! ?

5 minutes ago, CPU said:

Probably you are right.
I always forgot that moderators can do a little bit more (like inviting other people also if they are not the initiators of the conversation.)

The person that created the PM is the one that can add people (a few people only) in regular accounts.

Contributors can add people to a PM that they are on without the original person adding them. I have experienced this (at least in the past. ) also the amount that can be added is much larger) Not to mention if there are more than one contributor you can use any of them to add to the message.

Moderators can do the same.. (and possibly more like remove or delete the PM lol)

About embedded images that can't be enlarged or viewed with the new forum software:

I can replicate this by pasting any image in portrait format that has a native height of 1080 pixels. Example a 3x4 portrait with 810x1080 size.

If you insert this image into a post, the site will either default to 1079 or 1080 height. In either case if you then submit the post, this image will permanently not be accessible with the image viewer.

The workaround is to paste an image, immediately double-click on it to change the width (example 640), and press the "Update" button. If you submit the post, the image now works with the image viewer as usual.

It seems like portraits that are significantly taller (1920 or 2160) are not affected by the bug, so perhaps ~1080 is the problematic threshold.