Is Anyone Using the Creation Club?

Ernest Lemmingway

Using the Creation Club  

583 members have voted

1. 1. Have you used Bethesda's Creation Club?

• Yes, I've paid for mods from it or downloaded free mods from it.
    • No, I've never used it.
    • What's this "Creation Club?"

On 8/27/2018 at 9:32 AM, Alkpaz said:

Ernest, sorry to be devil's advocate here but they just don't care about PC gamers anymore, they are only concerned with console gamers who don't like the idea of messing with TESedit/LOOT/etc. Console gamers will, more than likely, buy the next Beth game (TES/FO) without any cares if it supports modding or not. 

and buy that creation club crap that they are selling as well

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Alkpaz said:

Ernest, sorry to be devil's advocate here but they just don't care about PC gamers anymore, they are only concerned with console gamers who don't like the idea of messing with TESedit/LOOT/etc. Console gamers will, more than likely, buy the next Beth game (TES/FO) without any cares if it supports modding or not. 

Consoles is where the money is. Marketing consoles made gaming mainstream. Dumbing down and all that. Very sad.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, Daedric_Cat said:

Consoles is where the money is. Marketing consoles made gaming mainstream. Dumbing down and all that. Very sad.

off topic
and if the development with Microsoft Win10 so goes on, then I will  after so many years from PC player to the console player!
I lets me reluctantly in the cards look, I hate from Microsoft to be spied on! :classic_angry:

1 hour ago, winny257 said:

off topic
and if the development with Microsoft Win10 so goes on, then I will  after so many years from PC player to the console player!
I lets me reluctantly in the cards look, I hate from Microsoft to be spied on! :classic_angry:

I did not let my Win 8.1 update for over a year to keep that Win 10 update out. Same with my Win 7 machine. No Win 10 here!

It's sad I went from console to PC thinking to get away from control but now it's getting worse!

• 1 month later...
Guest AthenaESIV

Creation Club will kill the future of Bethesda modding communities.

Def not going to be any LL style community for ES6, lol. Not legit copies of the game anyway.

And Im sure that the Override style modding with CE scripting is going to be locked behind so many different levels of DRM and CC protection that having a LL style ES6 install will be a dubious proposition at best. We already see Bethesda doing everything they can to kill SKSE for ESSE.

We'll see just how micromanaged and meddled with the modding aspect of future games will be when Fo76 comes out later this month... I would be money it is going to be worse than people are expecting by a huge margin.

The only consolation is, it will have a huge negative impact on the future as Bethesda as a company, and when people look back to the titan it once was, the reason people will explain the company diminishing is going to be "they fucked their modding community every which way they could"

On 1/13/2018 at 5:41 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Would that redistribution be possible with files hot off the 'Net or would there need to be some security cracking done first? It would be just like Bethesda to forget to include anti-piracy measures with their own mods.

According to the grapevine, in Creation Club Beta, Bethesda's staff had either proposed or informed that they planned to add Denuvo to Fallout 4 coinciding with the launch of CC. Updates system was suggested by players in the closed beta as an alternative "DRM" system so that the game wouldn't have Denuvo added to it.

• 1 month later...

All of the consumer backlash and now legal issues with FO76 has me wondering about the future of the CC. I'm not a lawyer, or involved with Zenimax, but with millions of people suing Bugthesda and an investigation by the Federal Trade Commission over similar issues, things are not looking good for the company. Microsoft and/or Sony could easily decide they don't want to get involved--or they could get drawn into it themselves, one way or another--and decide to drop all support for BethNet and the CC on their respective networks. The sorry state of the CC alone even before the current fiasco did not paint a pretty picture for its future.

Then there's the very real possibility of Bugthesda itself terminating the CC as a cost-cutting measure. Especially if it's not making a profit. Since Zenimax is a privately traded--not privately owned--company, they don't have to tell anyone who isn't involved a thing about their finances. Nobody outside the company knows their real financial status. For all we know the bad publicity and poor sales of FO76 alone could have been the proverbial kick to the groin. Throw in the legal fees just to defend themselves from the civil suit and there's another serious hit in the wallet. If they lose said suit and have to offer refunds...I'd actually rather not think about it. The FTC investigation could be even more damaging.

TL;DR The debacles over FO76 could easily lead to the death of the CC. So call your congressperson and tell them you support an intensive investigation by the Federal Trade Commission into Bethesda Studios' deceptive business practices. Better still, tell them you also support a referendum to make paid loot boxes in video games a form of gambling. Keep that momentum going and we can nail an even bigger bunch of liars and frauds, Evil Arts.

By Dog! For the first time since they made same-sex marriages legal on the federal level, I'm actually on the side of the government.

Well...if you've been following gaming news you should know by now about Bugthesda's private info leak. The sheer incompetence that allowed that leak to happen, coupled with the fact it took them twelve hours to acknowledge it after someone finally posted an image of it to Reddit, does not inspire confidence. The sick part is, I actually feared this would happen! Their track record speaks for itself and the decision to handle running an MMO themselves--with no prior experience--had me on red alert months before FO76 ever launched. But even I'm consistently shocked at how poorly they've handled everything since. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking a game or franchise; the years of watching their downward slide has reached its zenith. Or would it be more accurate to say, "It's hit rock bottom and started digging?"

This isn't even considering how well (or more likely, how poorly) they've handled security on BethNet and the CC. Especially as those relate to the XBOX Store and PlayStation Network. My cynicism prevents me from getting my hopes up that either or both Microsoft and Sony will terminate support for the CC (and thus kill paid mods by cutting off its primary source of money). But I also can't dismiss the idea out of hand just yet. They may do just that for reasons mentioned above.

So if anyone who reads this thread is considering buying CC mods, remember: Bugthesda has proven they can't keep your private info secure. So caveat emptor!

The latest releases for Skyrim CC has been out for about a week now and it includes their largest release to date. Basically a massive dungeon. The cost? $12! Now I'll admit that this latest batch is actually pretty good by Bugthesda's (already low) standards. The rest of the new stuff averages a buck-fifty to three dollars apiece.

My advice? Spend the money on chocolate. At least chocolate will make you feel better.

12 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

The latest releases for Skyrim CC has been out for about a week now and it includes their largest release to date. Basically a massive dungeon. The cost? $12! Now I'll admit that this latest batch is actually pretty good by Bugthesda's (already low) standards. The rest of the new stuff averages a buck-fifty to three dollars apiece.

My advice? Spend the money on chocolate. At least chocolate will make you feel better.

The cost seems to be the result of multiple modders collaborating together on the project in one way or another. While TrainWiz designed the dungeon, several modelers provided meshes and textures for objects in the area.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:50 PM, FauxFurry said:

The cost seems to be the result of multiple modders collaborating together on the project in one way or another. While TrainWiz designed the dungeon, several modelers provided meshes and textures for objects in the area.

I hadn't even considered that. :classic_huh: Did they have to hire additional modders or something? Because if the others were already under contract, they likely wouldn't be paid extra for collaborative work.

EDIT: Not "likely," modders already under contract wouldn't be paid extra. They get a flat pittance salary just for selling their souls.

• 1 month later...

I heard this on one of Juicehead's videos. Apparently there's an issue with console mods--mostly XBOne but also PS4 to a much lesser extent--where they either won't download at all or aren't loading. Bugthesda isn't even addressing it. None of the videos I've seen say much besides the fact that it's a known issue that's been going on for a while. There are questionable fixes for it, but it does raise my eyebrows that this is an issue at all. I wish I knew more but apparently no one knows what's going on. It could just be neglect of the network as the company focuses all of its assets besides its Austin studios on Starfield to make up for the financial flop that their latest game turned into. Which is actually a very bad thing (for them) because it could snowball into more serious technical issues, lead to Microsoft and/or Sony pulling support if it threatens their networks' integrity, or just convinces people not to bother with BethNet or the CC at all and they lose a revenue source.

Anyone know anything more about it?

3 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

That doesn't really shock me Ernest, they support their games as much as Electronic Artists supports theirs'.

That's true as far as their games go. But we're talking about their money-making scam. They've always been keen to keep that going. Or someone was. ? Pete Hines has been MIA since before this started and he's been the most vocal defender of it. Aggressively so. :classic_unsure: Or maybe it's been such a financial flop they're letting it die of neglect? I guess we'll find out if/when there's another unannounced update to Newrim or FO4.

5 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I heard this on one of Juicehead's videos. Apparently there's an issue with console mods--mostly XBOne but also PS4 to a much lesser extent--where they either won't download at all or aren't loading. Bugthesda isn't even addressing it. None of the videos I've seen say much besides the fact that it's a known issue that's been going on for a while. There are questionable fixes for it, but it does raise my eyebrows that this is an issue at all. I wish I knew more but apparently no one knows what's going on. It could just be neglect of the network as the company focuses all of its assets besides its Austin studios on Starfield to make up for the financial flop that their latest game turned into. Which is actually a very bad thing (for them) because it could snowball into more serious technical issues, lead to Microsoft and/or Sony pulling support if it threatens their networks' integrity, or just convinces people not to bother with BethNet or the CC at all and they lose a revenue source.

Anyone know anything more about it?

Problem is on Microsoft's and Sony's end although happens more on Microsoft's side. You can have the same problems trying to download games and dlc from the Playstation Store and Xbox Live been like that since the X360 and PS3 days. Had both an X360 and PS3 and currently have an Xbox One (which just gathers dust these days).

On 1/14/2018 at 7:31 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I asked simply because the lack of any copy protection means paid mods make even less sense than before. If it can too easily be shared among friends or on some underground site, it's pointless to charge anything. I'm not condoning piracy; I'm just pointing out a grim fact of the modding world that Bethesda doesn't seem to have taken into account.

Or maybe they have. The CC is aimed at console players so they seem to be assuming that sales to them will offset any potential losses from PC pirates.

I think that's actually not true at all.

One side of that is: Did you ever see a (single player) game that wasn't cracked at some point? There are people who do that as a sport, not even getting anything for it, just like other people do modding.

The other side of it: Games like Minecraft and Witcher at least 1, not sure about 2 & 3) didn't have any DRM and were still selling pretty good. 

Or are you only refering to (Beth) modding? My first thought here would be Enderal, where the creators didn't demand money but definitly hope for it. I have no clue if these hopes were met, though. Could be intresting if it pays off if you do more than a horse armor.

*edit: whoops. I missed the date of your post. Doesn't change my mind, though.^^

*edit2: Not that i'd actually believe it, but FO76 actually gives me some hope. There is a chance, how smal it may be, that Bethesda finally learns that they can't do shit if the community isn't there to fix their bugs.

NO!

Never have and never will use Creation Club. It's an obvious money grab based once again on the player ingenuity, testing and talent that preceded these Corporate decisions that only benefit shareholders.

Employing mod makers is the equivalent of the CIA and other software security companies hiring hackers, while the later, actually provides a useful service (well, maybe not the CIA). I don't blame mod makers from trying to earn some cash, and attempt to 'break into' a position within a successful software environment, but they don't realize, in the end, they are just being 'Pimped Out".

I doubt I'll be alive in 40 years (I'll be 100), but younger players here will look back at these times with warmth, remembering the 'golden age' of modding, while kids will laugh at you for being nostalgic.

Creation Club is another term for Bethesda Demon Spawn, intended to cripple mods dependent on the .exe layout, like SKSE.

I highly recommend the mods that hide CC advertising in game - and don't let your game engine update until you are ready.

But then I may be biased.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder: Bethesda is running out of time to settle the refund lawsuit. In two or three days the affair will be brought before a judge to determine if the hidden arbitration agreements nullify any right players have to refunds for the game and the nylon bags or if there's actually a case and the company gets sued. The arbitration agreement part is what could attract a lot of outside attention: worker advocacy groups are challenging the legitimacy of such where they could protect a company from legal consequences when said company does something wrong. If the courts decide that the agreements are invalid or do not apply, it sets a legal precedent that will echo outwards. I don't even want to think about the inevitable hate storm that's brewing once whatever happens is announced.

This is all on top of no news regarding whether Bethesda addressed the issues with console mods. Microsoft and Sony might be the cause, but it's up to Bethesda to actually fix the issues by upgrading the operating protocols of BethNet and the CC. So far the company has been completely silent on all fronts.

I think I'll go hide in an underground bunker (no, that's not a Fallout joke). This is not a good time for lemmings to be exposed. I anticipate a lot of flames from the haters and the fans alike all across Planet Internet by this weekend and I'd rather not have my shaved butt burned because of some stray comment. :classic_ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

? There might be more Cancer Club updates on the way for FO4. Nothing is confirmed yet, but Juicehead posted a video today detailing three possible CC mods: two weapons and a player home. No news on whether the company is going to fix the issues consoles are having, or whether they'll even address an issue with Codsworth breaking if you use too many CC mods.

I'd urge folks to vote with their wallets...but no one who uses the CC visits LL more than once. Not after they learn adult mods can't be created for their console. Yes, I'm calling CC users console plebs because that's the audience the CC is aimed at.

Archived