[Update - 2017Nov04] Tera Elin HDT Ears-n-Tails with Painted Lady Re Compatibility

Equippable Elin Ears/Tails update

I recorded a short video to show what I've done so far since I found out that adding your elin ears and tails to NPCs is harder than I thought :P  Sorry for the bad quality, I had it originally set up for recording and streaming dark souls so I didn't edit OBS for skyrim recording.  Also I sound like crap, was pretty ill last night (but feeling better now!)

As you can see, the HDT properties of the rabbit tail work fine on both my player character and on the follower I have equipped with the items.  Now the ears are problematic.  I get HDT on the ears for myself but not for anyone else that the item is equipped to.  Any idea why this is?

Edit: scratch that last comment, the follower's ears hdt movements are working now.  I forgot to copy over the rabbit.dds and rabbit_n.dds files.

7 hours ago, deathneko11 said:

Equippable Elin Ears/Tails update

I recorded a short video to show what I've done so far since I found out that adding your elin ears and tails to NPCs is harder than I thought :P  Sorry for the bad quality, I had it originally set up for recording and streaming dark souls so I didn't edit OBS for skyrim recording.  Also I sound like crap, was pretty ill last night (but feeling better now!)

As you can see, the HDT properties of the rabbit tail work fine on both my player character and on the follower I have equipped with the items.  Now the ears are problematic.  I get HDT on the ears for myself but not for anyone else that the item is equipped to.  Any idea why this is?

Edit: scratch that last comment, the follower's ears hdt movements are working now.  I forgot to copy over the rabbit.dds and rabbit_n.dds files.

Good that you got it working.  To answer your question about making the equippable ears/tail change color with the hair, the game only changes color of headparts not armor.  When you converted the ears and tail to an equippable item it is now considered an armor piece.

2 hours ago, PsychoMachina said:

Good that you got it working.  To answer your question about making the equippable ears/tail change color with the hair, the game only changes color of headparts not armor.  When you converted the ears and tail to an equippable item it is now considered an armor piece.

That is what I was afraid of.  I still want to figure out how to get it working properly for my original intent, which was to add them to the facegen data for NPCs in skyrim, but unless your last stated method of exporting the PC head works I'll still have to figure out how to export HDT facegen data from the CK without making it crash. I plan on doing some research into that tomorrow, though all I can do is see what information I can dig up on the subject (if there is any).

Recoloring worked btw :D I didn't edit the textures files, just changed the emissive color and specular color in nifskope.  It doesn't do a solid color change but it does a nice transparent color change that I think will help match better, for example if I do  shade of brown this way then it can match most brownish hair colors for npcs that equip it.  Should mean a little less work for me on the editing side if I make a full mod addon this way for equippables :D

I have one question: If I follow through and make an equippables full version, can I upload it as an addon to your mod?  Or would you like the files yourself for your mod page?  I can make it separate from the mod I was testing with, and just have the new plugin point to your mod as master to get the NIf files.

Edit:  Success!  I have made one of the ears in a separate plugin that doesn't rely on the other mod, pointing to your nif files with your mod installed as the master.  So I can effectively make Elin Ears and Tails HDT Equippable as a standalone mod using your mod Painted Lady as the master.  I just have to do the rest of them, and some recolor options.  Would there be any interest for this so others like myself would be able to add them to followers and such?  To be clear, the armor pieces I've made DO have the hdt movements on followers, just like hdt wigs for followers. No bugs (that I see yet).

And if I feel up to it after Xmas, I can add these to various NPCs in their outfit package as a seperate addon so that not only followers can have them, but others in the game can as well.  I would have to leave that one up in the air though, play it by ear to see if there is interest.

Addon to last post:

Equippable Tails and Ears, now only with Painted Lady dependency and with default set and blue set

I do apologize for the bad mic quality.  I don't have everything set up for good recording, but I think the vids still get what's important across.  I'll turn the game audio down for less distortion on the next recording/progress report :)

Just showing that I have it fully working now, with even a recolored set as an optional.  I don't know why the tail showed up as black, because I did go back into nifskope and edit it to make sure it was white.  I'll double check it.  I plan to make more colored variants, not just for rabbit2 but also for rabbit1 and the other ears and tails provided by the painted lady mod.

Edit:  I have no idea how in the hell it works, but if  you equip my default ear and tail using the original, unedited mod's ear and tail nifs, the hair color slider works in RaceMenu.  I could change the color of my equipped ears and tail with the color of my hair.  NO, it was NOT because I had facial hair set to those ears and tail.  I could change the facial hair slider and still keep my equipped tail and ears while also putting on a second set of tail and ears, looked really weird.  It was on the default, no facial hair position on the slider.  So yes, the hair slider option from your mod PsychoMachina DOES work with the armor equippables! But only if you equip first, then go into RaceMenu and change the hair color.  I doubt this will work for NPCs, so I might still do some color variations just for giving to a follower.

Unable to view the vid, Youtube might be experiencing difficulties or something with the vid itself.

If you want to upload them then go ahead, but this means you'll have to deal with questions and requests from the community as I have more than enough on my own plate to contend with.  I might step in now and then to assist with answers.

I think RaceMenu allows for adding color to armor pieces then again it could have been something you did.  Could be RaceMenu still sees the equippable ears/tail as a headpart.

The Additional Hairs slider should still work with your equippable version regardless of whether you equip them before or after using showracemenu. 

Are you saying that equipping an ear/tail set will not change color ONLY if equipped before going into showracemenu?

Then this is a bug, albeit with favorable effects.  As I mentioned before, RaceMenu is likely still seeing the equipped set as a Headpart.

Your last statement is true.  I had not tried at first going into RaceMenu before equipping the ear or tail piece.  However, unless you mess with your body scales or something in the RaceMenu that "resets" your tail/ear armor, the color of it is remembered after unequipping them.  the default one (unaltered by me colorwise) was still my hair color when I re-equipped it.  (after more testing I found this only works sometimes, but easy fix is to go back into racemenu and tweak the hair color sliders).  The one I altered, the blue one, stayed blue even when I equipped it and went into the RaceMenu.

I should note though that the default rabbit tail was black for me once I started ducking around in the RaceMenu.  It's only white if you stay away from character edits while equipped. (as far as I know), so if you want a white tail as default you're gonna have to make sure not to have it equipped while doing any character edits.

Small Update: I'm experimenting with retextures since I can't quite get darker shades just editing the emissive color and specular color in nifsKope.  I have some small knowledge of photoshop, using cs5.1 extended edition, but I've never edited textures before.  I did a quick and dirty edit using the nvidia plugin for importing, editing, and exporting .dds files for photoshop.  When I did my edit, it saved the black chunks around the ear parts and the black chunks showed up in game (though my retexture looked good overall, just the extra stuff that got tacked on).  I believe I'm partway there, just missing a couple of tips.  Would you mind throwing some tips my way for a clean edit and proper export so I can provide some nice looking edits for this?  I should be able to pick it up no sweat.

Edit: I found a good tutorial using Gimp.  He uses patterns to layer on the texture, but I can figure out the brush in it well enough.  I didn't know you could alter a texture file in Gimp while having nifskope open and see it update, and it looks like a cleaner method than what I was trying to do.  One question would be if I want to make a part of an ear slightly transparent, but still with color, would i have to do that in the texture file or the mesh file?

Sorry for triple post here, trying to keep these chunks of information separate in case anyone has been following this thread lately.

RETEXTURED rabbit ears! and small showcase of my WIP character.

Haven't retextured the tail yet, I might do that next.

Things I have learned since I first posted here:

How to create an armor mod from scratch in the CK.

How to fix meshes to said armor mod.

How to assign a texture to a nif file in nifskope.

How to retexture a DDS file in GIMP, as well as how to make custom pallets and whatnot.

Any thoughts on the retexture?  I actually put FUR on the body of the ears!  (well, a texture of fur anyway) :P

so what do y'all think of the ear retexture?  first ever messing with that sort of thing, I like how it came out.

The ear textures look great, gives it a slight fuzziness.

To add transparency of any degree, you need to edit both the mesh and textures.  The mesh will need a new block called NiAlphaProperty and the textures will need an alpha channel if it does not already have one.

Here is a tutorial done on a custom armor.

how to make some parts of an armor transparent-translucent-invisible v1.0.pdf

Those ears are my first retexture ever.  Never done it before, though nothing was hand painted.  I doubt I could do anything decent looking from scratch yet.

I'll check that tutorial out.  I have to focus on work this week so I might not mess with the mod too much.  Eventually I will have more retextured variants for more vanilla hairstyles, and some like the blue ears for followers that have brighter hair colors like green and red.

Bugs to note that I have found thus far:

1: If for some reason you are using the default ear and tail on yourself instead of the facial hair slider (really you should be using the slider for your player character and not the armor), the armor won't remember your hair color when you exit and relaunch skyrim.  It will be back to white ears and a black tail until you tweak the hair color slider in racemenu.

2: Sometimes the tail sags.  Just unequip/requip to get it up and perky again (tested with rabbit tail)

3: More bugs for player character using the armor pieces (really, just use the facial hair slider). This is, after all, meant more as an addon to get this feature on followers.

On 12/10/2017 at 5:04 PM, deathneko11 said:

If for some reason you are using the default ear and tail on yourself instead of the facial hair slider (really you should be using the slider for your player character and not the armor), the armor won't remember your hair color when you exit and relaunch skyrim.  It will be back to white ears and a black tail until you tweak the hair color slider in racemenu.

That is not a bug.  The game sees the armor as nothing else but armor and you cannot recolor armor like skin and hair.  When you reload a save or exit then restart the game, the armor will lose it's custom color.

You might want to have a look at Expired's Dye Manager.  I remember he made something that allows recoloring armor in-game.  It hasn't been updated since 2014.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56420/?

On 12/10/2017 at 5:04 PM, deathneko11 said:

Sometimes the tail sags.  Just unequip/requip to get it up and perky again (tested with rabbit tail)

Probably because the tails were never meant to be equipped/unequipped.

22 minutes ago, PsychoMachina said:

That is not a bug.  The game sees the armor as nothing else but armor and you cannot recolor armor like skin and hair.  When you reload a save or exit then restart the game, the armor will lose it's custom color.

You might want to have a look at Expired's Dye Manager.  I remember he made something that allows recoloring armor in-game.  It hasn't been updated since 2014.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56420/?

The armor dye mod does look interesting, Would be fun to play with.  As far as the side project i'm doing for your mod is concerned though, I'm more interested in doing more retextures in Gimp.  This has been valuable experience for me, I'm doing things I didn't think I would ever be doing a few years ago when Skyrim first came out.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I've greatly enjoyed working on this stuff so far, and look forward to finishing it.  No idea if anyone else is interested in having the extras though :tongue:

• 2 months later...

I though I should at least post you some nice comments here after working on your ears for my own project (thanks again for the agreement)! ^_^

Great mod. Really. Glorious ears'n'tails for furry lovers! With optionnals sliders for ECE and Racemenu moreover. Perfect! Bravo!

Some news now^^

I tweaked a bit your base texture on your Cat Ears and the fluffy effect I'm working on.

I'm almost satisfied with the result now. As said, if you want to use this concept : feel free! It's all thanks to you that my fluffy cat will have fluffy ears! :smile:

A picture to show you the result for now.

(I'll send you a version of meshes/textures/esp to give you at least something usefull to work with^^)

40440264501_50fbf6ebb6_o.jpg

Btw I can't post a review of your base mod, don't know why... 5 stars when I'll be able to do it of course! :smile:

On 2/23/2018 at 2:37 PM, AshnurLegba said:

I though I should at least post you some nice comments here after working on your ears for my own project (thanks again for the agreement)! ^_^

Great mod. Really. Glorious ears'n'tails for furry lovers! With optionnals sliders for ECE and Racemenu moreover. Perfect! Bravo!

Some news now^^

I tweaked a bit your base texture on your Cat Ears and the fluffy effect I'm working on.

I'm almost satisfied with the result now. As said, if you want to use this concept : feel free! It's all thanks to you that my fluffy cat will have fluffy ears! :smile:

A picture to show you the result for now.

(I'll send you a version of meshes/textures/esp to give you at least something usefull to work with^^)

40440264501_50fbf6ebb6_o.jpg

Btw I can't post a review of your base mod, don't know why... 5 stars when I'll be able to do it of course! :smile:

I wouldn't mind having a look at the files, thank you.  I'll have a look at the links you posted on your Nexus thread when I have the opportunity.  The idea of an adoptable cute, little kitten has crossed my mind.

I remember playing the Elin race a long while back and always wanted their physics based ears and tails on some of my other non Elin characters. I decided to try this out but then realized I use CustomRaces rather than the vanilla races which is unfortunate on my end since these are really well done. I tried to see if I could get them to work with CustomNord, my preferred Race in the batch but I couldn't quite get it. Still a good job though!

On 3/1/2018 at 7:10 PM, GelatoMix said:

I remember playing the Elin race a long while back and always wanted their physics based ears and tails on some of my other non Elin characters. I decided to try this out but then realized I use CustomRaces rather than the vanilla races which is unfortunate on my end since these are really well done. I tried to see if I could get them to work with CustomNord, my preferred Race in the batch but I couldn't quite get it. Still a good job though!

I never tried CustomRaces so I don't know what is involved.  I can suggest adding their race (CustomNord and CustomVampireNord (or whatever EditorID they use)) to the race form list as an edit of the Elin ears/tails plugin or as a separate patch (plugin).

2 hours ago, PsychoMachina said:

I never tried CustomRaces so I don't know what is involved.  I can suggest adding their race (CustomNord and CustomVampireNord (or whatever EditorID they use)) to the race form list as an edit of the Elin ears/tails plugin or as a separate patch (plugin).

That would be fantastic.

After testing some custom races I thought would not work with the Elin ears and tails, it came as a surprise that they are indeed compatible without any additional work.  I finally installed the Custom Races mod and the ears and tails do appear for the custom Nord (I did not test the other custom races, but assume the results are the same).  The only problem I had was that they use their own skeletons so the ears were floating on the female custom Nord's head.  Replacing their skeleton with mine fixed the problem.

5aa0b0625dfc9_enb2018_03_0722_18_14_34.thumb.jpg.9db2484277a84560ed116d17de700062.jpg

Tested with both ECE and RaceMenu and the both work from the start, the only problem (I had) was the floating ears.  Here is the fix; I replaced the Custom Races skeletons with the Elin skeleton from the HDT ears and tails mod.

Elin_HDT_Ears_n_Tails_Fix for CustomRaces.7z

@GelatoMix and anyone reading this, don't be so vague when seeking help with a mod, I would have provided a fix immediately had I known the problem was the skeleton.

• 5 months later...
On 3/8/2018 at 3:53 AM, PsychoMachina said:

After testing some custom races I thought would not work with the Elin ears and tails, it came as a surprise that they are indeed compatible without any additional work.  I finally installed the Custom Races mod and the ears and tails do appear for the custom Nord (I did not test the other custom races, but assume the results are the same).  The only problem I had was that they use their own skeletons so the ears were floating on the female custom Nord's head.  Replacing their skeleton with mine fixed the problem.

5aa0b0625dfc9_enb2018_03_0722_18_14_34.thumb.jpg.9db2484277a84560ed116d17de700062.jpg

Tested with both ECE and RaceMenu and the both work from the start, the only problem (I had) was the floating ears.  Here is the fix; I replaced the Custom Races skeletons with the Elin skeleton from the HDT ears and tails mod.

Elin_HDT_Ears_n_Tails_Fix for CustomRaces.7z

@GelatoMix and anyone reading this, don't be so vague when seeking help with a mod, I would have provided a fix immediately had I known the problem was the skeleton.

I use the Ningheim race, seems to work at first but when any animation plays the skeleton can go a bit crazy, especially around the hips / waist, could you take a look at it for me please?

• 7 months later...

Hey. I almost completed the adaptation for SE and SMP (wearable ears and tails, updated skeletons, physics. Slightly changed the texture), but there was one problem. I could not fix the rabbit tail mesh (dark stripe in the picture)

Spoiler

7535dcab45ff67bfff3b1fb49b54365f-elincos

I don`t know what to do with this mesh. 

I can try to make a new mesh and texture, but it will take time. 

11 hours ago, Gromilla said:

Hey. I almost completed the adaptation for SE and SMP (wearable ears and tails, updated skeletons, physics. Slightly changed the texture), but there was one problem. I could not fix the rabbit tail mesh (dark stripe in the picture)

Reveal hidden contents

7535dcab45ff67bfff3b1fb49b54365f-elincos

I don`t know what to do with this mesh. 

I can try to make a new mesh and texture, but it will take time. 

Fixed the tail.  It's in OBJ format so you can import the mesh with the smp tail, adjust the transformations (scale and position) to match the original, parent the skeleton to the new mesh, transfer weighting (if different) from the original mesh to the new, and when all is complete, delete the original mesh.

ElinRabbitTail_fixed.7z

I can't work with the HDT tail because I use Blender and keep getting exporting errors.

10 minutes ago, PsychoMachina said:

Fixed the tail.  It's in OBJ format so you can import the mesh with the smp tail, adjust the transformations (scale and position) to match the original, parent the skeleton to the new mesh, transfer weighting (if different) from the original mesh to the new, and when all is complete, delete the original mesh.

ElinRabbitTail_fixed.7z 37.51 kB · 0 downloads

I can't work with the HDT tail because I use Blender and keep getting exporting errors.

Wow, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ! 

So i love this mod but i want unistall this mods ... 

I can't ! 

When i unistall this mods and i load my game and he crash in the loading , help me please ! 

Also, i am blocked with rabbit ears i cant change in the racemenu, when i make a loading he return to rabbit ears !