What are your Modding Horror Stories?

KoolHndLuke

Hello Guys

Damsel in distress here.  I am playing FO4 and I recently removed several mods that I was not using any more.

Now I find I can no longer save my play time in FO4.

I checked all the mods I removed, and none of them should be responsible for this.

Have any of you ever had such problems??

Hello Guys

Damsel in distress here.  I am playing FO4 and I recently removed several mods that I was not using any more.

Now I find I can no longer save my play time in FO4.

I checked all the mods I removed, and none of them should be responsible for this.

Have any of you ever had such problems??

Well first, this should really be in the FO4 section. Second I have read that it is a bad idea to remove mods in the middle of a playthrough. Baked saves and all that. Better to just disable them instead of removing them entirely is what I heard from a few ppl. One reason is because NMM does not always remove all of a mod leaving orphaned files in your game folder. One thing you can do is go back to a save you have from before removing those mods f4se will show what you are missing and reinstall those mods- then just disable them or whatever you need to make it work. You can get away with a little more in FO4 than Skyrim- but not much more.

I tried to make a custom summoned NPC in Skyrim who explodes when dying. Took me fucking ages because I don't know shit about scripts. First it didn't work at all, then it crashed, then the explosion did absolutely no damage. Took a lot of rage quitting Skyrim and getting back to CK. This one simple script caused a massive blyatfest.

I also tried to remove all the bullshit spells from the Deadly Wenches mods. I didn't know how to do that quickly so I simply deleted all the new spells, which caused almost every new NPC to disappear.

And of course random CK crashes, which means that 2 or 3 hours of modding went straight to the shitter.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :P  :P  :P

Skyrim has been the biggest pain by far!! That game straight up demands some wizardry to make playable with a large mod list. I have come close to smashing something, or peaking my blood pressure on that devil of game more times than I can count. If it is not simply freezing or ctds all the time, then it is screwing up with placement of objects, wacky physics, weird texture bugs, the sky turning up side down, suspended animations, npcs or followers disappearing, strange lighting effects, and on and on. Luckily I have learned how to fix or avoid all these issues for the most part. But Sky stubbornly refuses to cooperate fully with even some of the most experienced modders.

Crash Fixes + Enboost. It's miraculous, I'm serious.

I kept having the New Vegas GECK crash over and over and over on me and I was about ready to start a nuclear war until I finally found the reason why after hours of googling. The fucking GECK will crash while editing dialogue if you don't have a microphone plugged in. Doesn't matter that you're not using the mic for anything, the stupid thing just dies without any explanation if you don't have one plugged in.

While making one mod for Fallout 3, I had to teach myself how to write scripts. I'd never really done it before, so I was a total n00b. Took me two whole days to figure out how to make explosions trigger on a timer and I nearly had a frustration stroke trying to figure out why it wouldn't work at first. Pretty awesome once I figured it out though.

Archived