sse or not to sse that is the question

darkconsole

374 members have voted

1. 1. sse or not to sse

• go oldrim
    • go newrim
    • neither of those are fallout 4

When SSE was first released I said I will never play it.  I had good old Skyrim classic with mods and all.  Then I bought my new pc and the game kept on crashing when nearing Whiterun or riverwood.  I tried with many different characters.  Modded and unmodded.  Everywhere else worked except riverwood and whiterun.  So I made the then painful decision to uninstall and install SSE.  I downloaded some mods, many of which were from the classic version, and I was surprised how fast the game loads when entering or leaving a cell.  Also I played a 30 hour session and the game did not crash.  Now after multiple playthroughs and hundreds of hours, I never experienced one crash.  Now luckily some older mods have been ported over like 'Better Vampires', and 'Moonlight Tales.'  There is also a non SKSE dependent sex mod 'Flower Girls.'  There is a new body in CBBE, SexLab lite is in production, Better Males and SoS light have been released.  Other classic armor and weapon mods that haven't been officially ported.  I've converted them myself for SSE.  So my fetishes have been satiated.  I do miss RaceMenu, SKYUI, Additem Menu, and many other essential mods that too difficult for me to convert, or depend on SKSE.

So in closing.  I enjoy making the decision to install SSE and never looked back.  Most of the mods I wanted have been ported either by others or myself.

one thing that's kinda off putting with this thread, is some of the degrees of completely blind skepticism popping up. think what partially bothers me about that is that three months ago i probably came off just as arrogant. if you don't want cc, there is literally nothing that forces you to log in to it. i tried to login, but when i hit tab to go to the password field the menu closed and so i just laughed at it and ignored it.

another interesting thing is this reoccuring theme:

i'll play it when the mods i want are there

now what makes this interesting is that, imeanwell i consider myself a mod authour so... and hopefully if you are even in this thread you actually like my mods rofl. which means by proxy i should make the jump to get the red carpet rolled out before you get there...

actually surprised by how lopsided the results are atm in the black-and-white data. expected the rimjobs to be more even.

if you don't want cc, there is literally nothing that forces you to log in to it. i tried to login

type creation club in google and...

171004045929691709.jpg

742 animals mods? wait, blad castle is an animal mod?

171004045926229559.jpg

171004045937555340.jpg

yewston, we got a problem

171004045937708839.jpg

wops, i broke it?

171004045927583208.jpg

something else that don't look right

171004044824708599.jpg

above it's from skyrim bsa, under it's what crap kit generate, on the right the path there is in skyrim esm

why does that thing add data\texture for the faceting, and textures\ for the _s, if it look directly in textures folder?

and why isn't it the same for armors?

171004044825693294.jpg

left vanilla, right mods

that sheogorath nif no longer have textures\, it's better that way? or worse?

actually surprised by how lopsided the results are atm in the black-and-white data. expected the rimjobs to be more even.

Doesn't really surprise me that much because IMO we've all been playing "Skyrim Super Special Edition" for years now thanks to the awesome mod community.  The biggest draw to SSE seems to be the stability and an improved "base" experience, which is more marketed to people who played Skyrim years ago, possibly goofed around with a few mods, then stopped.  I know for me after playing for so long with ENBs, modded character textures, HDT, armor/clothing replacers, Climate mods (and on and on and on)  the SSE "base" experience is a downgrade in every way except for frame-rate and stability.  I'm pretty happy with Skryim's stability in my current setup, so for me personally that isn't as much of a draw as for some and the question becomes more about what mods I love in my current game aren't yet available in SSE.

I'm sure at some point for myself the benefits of SSE will outweigh the shrinking list of mods that have not/cannot be converted or redone.  We just aren't really all that close to it yet, but new SKSE64 actually being a thing is probably a huge leap towards that happening.

now what makes this interesting is that, imeanwell i consider myself a mod authour so... and hopefully if you are even in this thread you actually like my mods rofl. which means by proxy i should make the jump to get the red carpet rolled out before you get there...

This is the same catch 22 that I noticed with the fallout 4 modding community.  You find pages of people saying that the lack of mods or script extender is the biggest deterrent.  The problem is that without good mod authors putting in the work to make the mod scene better progress is severely hampered.  

I think it is quite clear at this point that you are motivated to go SSE by personal interest.  I think the quality of your work speaks volumes for itself in terms of what you could do to make that scene a lot better than it is now.  I think that the more knowledgeable people contribute the faster things will develop.  I really can't see anything but good things if you make the jump.

Regardless of which choice you make there will be grumblers about it.  The only thing that really matters, what all of this boils down to, is what you are more excited to do and what you will gain more enjoyment from doing.  In everything you have written I haven't seen you mention any meaningful positive to staying with SLE.  I have seen you make the argument to switch.

I will be honest when I say that I honestly don't even see the need for SSE on PC at all other than for Bethesda to try and market to the modding community.  I played SSE through, it's not more stable, it's not any prettier than a  modded 32 Bit Skyrim and I doubt we will see all the mod author's migrating their mods over.  Since a lot have quit or moved onto other games, I think that we are fine where we are.

That being said, I can see a future where 32 Bit Skyrim vanishes, but who knows.

That's my opinion on the subject.

one thing that's kinda off putting with this thread, is some of the degrees of completely blind skepticism popping up. think what partially bothers me about that is that three months ago i probably came off just as arrogant. if you don't want cc, there is literally nothing that forces you to log in to it. i tried to login, but when i hit tab to go to the password field the menu closed and so i just laughed at it and ignored it.

Well you shouldn't have posted a poll in the first place and should have announced off the bat that your future content will be made in SPEEESSIAL edition from now on...don't be surprised if all the reasons we Oldrim fucks will give is the generic "I'll play it when the mods I want are there.."

or maybe as some people here are ashamed of telling that some of us here still have a toaster PC that can't run SE's higher minimum requirements in 2017...sucks living at mama's basement...

but if you really want to make said mods in SE from now on then I have no choice but to DL it just to play your mods because they are THAT good and because I have a crush on you...lol...

so this poll would really lean in favor of us Oldrimjobs...because it has 6 years worth more content...

and I doubt people would spend the rest of their 6 years playing an old-ish game in a new upgraded engine...or mod authors like yourself would continue making content at those 6 years...

think of the new titles that will come out in those years that will be moddable from companies that will not pull off a shitfest...you should also keep an eye for that Darkconsole...

I have  a technical question - the way I understand it porting a mod from Oldrim to SSE is (relatively) easy, but not the other way around. So a mod made for Oldrim has to be simply re-saved in the SSE's CK and it will work, but for a mod made for SSE to work with Oldrim it would need to be remade? Considering the assets themselves pretty much work on both. 

So a mod for Oldrim can easily be made to work on both versions, but a mod for SSE is pretty much "exclusive" and leaves the Oldrim users behind. Or not? Because it seems the real question in the pool is if people want  mods for 1/both Oldrim and SSE or 2/only for SSE.

This is LL after all and most of the users here enjoy a big ecosystem of mods that is simply not available for SSE. It is even a bit surprising how many votes SSE gets. I don't believe there is a Catch 22 here because there is an easy solution - gradually porting all the mods to SSE giving people time to migrate. There are enough users that would be glad to handle the porting and it can be a smooth transition. 

About CC - yes, you can ignore it and not use it, but the problem is that nobody knows yet how many mods it will keep breaking and how often. 

I have  a technical question - the way I understand it porting a mod from Oldrim to SSE is (relatively) easy, but not the other way around.

that's because bethesda want you to switch to sse for the mods only available for it, to release more sse mods, that can be download by console on the creation club, to give them a reason to buy sse

a stupid choice, if they want skyrim with mods, it's better to just switch to pc version (no skse or enb on consoles)

or maybe as some people here are ashamed of telling that some of us here still have a toaster PC that can't run SE's higher minimum requirements in 2017...sucks living at mama's basement...

I haven't even tried SE but wasn't it supposed to perform better than LE with ENB? Anyways if you're ashamed to have a weak PC you should probably be more ashamed for being ashamed you have a weak PC. Only douchebags take pride in a powerful "rig" and brag about it.

my computer is 10 years old, i have never reinstalled the OS and sometime i leave it turned on for months without ever turning it off, and it's still running just fine. so why would i ever want to replace such a battle hardened machine with a modern gimmicky piece of shit that is made to die in 9 months?

my computer is 10 years old, i have never reinstalled the OS and sometime i leave it turned on for months without ever turning it off, and it's still running just fine. so why would i ever want to replace such a battle hardened machine with a modern gimmicky piece of shit that is made to die in 9 months?

I left mine on for less than a week and I couldn't write on my flash drive, said it was write protected, I restarted and it worked wtf?

I have  a technical question - the way I understand it porting a mod from Oldrim to SSE is (relatively) easy, but not the other way around.

that's because bethesda want you to switch to sse for the mods only available for it, to release more sse mods, that can be download by console on the creation club, to give them a reason to buy sse

a stupid choice, if they want skyrim with mods, it's better to just switch to pc version (no skse or enb on consoles)

Whatever the reason - a mod for Oldrim is a mod for Oldrim and SSE.

A mod for SSE is exclusively for SSE. 

So the question is not about Oldrim vr SSE, but for abandoning Oldrim. Those who play SSE will not gain anything (they would get access to the mod anyway), those who prefer Oldrim would lose. 

What the hell computers are you looking at. I mean we get it, you like you're old computer but damn. You're reaching.

I haven't even tried SE but wasn't it supposed to perform better than LE with ENB? Anyways if you're ashamed to have a weak PC you should probably be more ashamed for being ashamed you have a weak PC. Only douchebags take pride in a powerful "rig" and brag about it.

bethesda didn't gave the game to testers to test it

they don't know the differences between sse and skyrim, and it's not with the useless youtube video from some fanboys you could check that

-in skyrim bsa you have mostly 1k textures, in sse bsa it was resize one size up (256*256 became 512*512, 1k became 2k)

if you use textures packs, you replace sse 2k armors with amidian, 2k farmhouse with pfuscher, or noble skyrim, or skyrm 2k, or tamriel reload...

you lose more fps with those textures pack than by replacing skyrim texture bsa with sse texture bsa (bodies are 4k in sse bsa? mountains? creatures?)

-some enb sun something can crush your fps with their 2k sun tga file

it's the same for the sun something in sse to mimick that, when you lower the setting game use the 1k textures in th 2k, or 512*512 in the 2k (same with enb, if you resize down the tga, fps go up)

that stuff isn't in skyrim, so if you use enb with sse, you lose more fps here if you let enb handle that (enb replace sse sun something, but sse still do sun something)

- there's a new snow shader, some weather mods add some too

no idea if the one from sse is more performance friendly than the one from skyrim

you go back to your save where it snow, replacing the sse snow nif with skyrim snow nif, and only that, to not get a performance difference from textures or whatever, someone did that?

-the nifs are no longer the same, a new format is supposed to be better

smco nif optimisation replace the nitrishape (skyrim) by nitristrips (oblivion)

nitristrips nifs are smaller than nitrishape nifs, it's that the "optimisation"?

didn't saw any difference on fps when i tried smco architecture folder (you will ctd if you run that on all folder, it fail with some nifs, can't use that thing without something to find the nifs that no longer work)

- in the sse section x was blabla about an incoming patch will boost performance a lot

read some stuff about unoptimised code in his link

some remember tesval? bethesda did the same for sse, it's just a console port (if i remember right tesval wasn't taking care of all performance wastes, if that was done for sse, the performance difference would be enought to switch to sse, even if that mean losing skse mods)

-it's 64 bits now, skyrim.exe can use more than 3.1 gb, that mean less stutterring

you need 2.4 gb in whiterun, you enter breezhome, there's 800 mb to load, sse can use 3.2 gb, no need to unload anything to load that

to have to unload that when you leave breezehome, to reload what was unload to load breezhome stuff

if you use enb, that doesn't matter (good luck to get skyrim.exe to use 3.1gb with your load order, sound files, pex files...)

forgot something? complete it the ones that use sse

bethesda didn't gave the game to testers to test it

they don't know the differences between sse and skyrim, and it's not with the useless youtube video from some fanboys you could check that

-in skyrim bsa you have mostly 1k textures, in sse bsa it was resize one size up (256*256 became 512*512, 1k became 2k)

if you use textures packs, you replace sse 2k armors with amidian, 2k farmhouse with pfuscher, or noble skyrim, or skyrm 2k, or tamriel reload...

you lose more fps with those textures pack than by replacing skyrim texture bsa with sse texture bsa (bodies are 4k in sse bsa? mountains? creatures?)

-some enb sun something can crush your fps with their 2k sun tga file

it's the same for the sun something in sse to mimick that, when you lower the setting game use the 1k textures in th 2k, or 512*512 in the 2k (same with enb, if you resize down the tga, fps go up)

that stuff isn't in skyrim, so if you use enb with sse, you lose more fps here if you let enb handle that (enb replace sse sun something, but sse still do sun something)

- there's a new snow shader, some weather mods add some too

no idea if the one from sse is more performance friendly than the one from skyrim

you go back to your save where it snow, replacing the sse snow nif with skyrim snow nif, and only that, to not get a performance difference from textures or whatever, someone did that?

-the nifs are no longer the same, a new format is supposed to be better

smco nif optimisation replace the nitrishape (skyrim) by nitristrips (oblivion)

nitristrips nifs are smaller than nitrishape nifs, it's that the "optimisation"?

didn't saw any difference on fps when i tried smco architecture folder (you will ctd if you run that on all folder, it fail with some nifs, can't use that thing without something to find the nifs that no longer work)

- in the sse section x was blabla about an incoming patch will boost performance a lot

read some stuff about unoptimised code in his link

some remember tesval? bethesda did the same for sse, it's just a console port (if i remember right tesval wasn't taking care of all performance wastes, if that was done for sse, the performance difference would be enought to switch to sse, even if that mean losing skse mods)

-it's 64 bits now, skyrim.exe can use more than 3.1 gb, that mean less stutterring

you need 2.4 gb in whiterun, you enter breezhome, there's 800 mb to load, sse can use 3.2 gb, no need to unload anything to load that

to have to unload that when you leave breezehome, to reload what was unload to load breezhome stuff

if you use enb, that doesn't matter (good luck to get skyrim.exe to use 3.1gb with your load order, sound files, pex files...)

forgot something? complete it the ones that use sse

So you're saying that it is easier to run SE on weak PC's than LE with ENB, that's what darkconsole and arthmoor said. What about using SE textures on LE with this http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/4482-from-bc7-to-uncompressed-8888-argb-bat-for-texconv/, will they look better than the official hi res pack?

Well you shouldn't have posted a poll in the first place and should have announced off the bat that your future content will be made in SPEEESSIAL edition from now on...don't be surprised if all the reasons we Oldrim fucks will give is the generic "I'll play it when the mods I want are there.."

but if you really want to make said mods in SE from now on then I have no choice but to DL it just to play your mods because they are THAT good and because I have a crush on you...lol...

so this poll would really lean in favor of us Oldrimjobs...because it has 6 years worth more content...

and I doubt people would spend the rest of their 6 years playing an old-ish game in a new upgraded engine...or mod authors like yourself would continue making content at those 6 years...

think of the new titles that will come out in those years that will be moddable from companies that will not pull off a shitfest...you should also keep an eye for that Darkconsole...

This is a funny (funny as in "you sold me queer giraffes" not funny as in puppies attempting to use a box as a wind tunnel") premise you have considering how ass 64 screens look like and not ass most of the 32 screens posted here look like, so your premise of "secret potato illuminati"  not only does not hold up to any kind of scrutiny but ignores that with precompiled shaders 64 is always going to look like ass compared to 32 unless someone literally injects a rather large chunk of code directly into the runtime rendering pipeline.

Also to note certain people desperate for attention and upvotes routinely post their SSE screenshots in the 32 section because no one posts in the SSE section, and no one posts in the SSE cause 64 looks like ass. All 64 brings to the table is 64 bit stability for badly written mods and the ability to cram 11 billion ugrids into the player's active memory allocation, along with much much faster frametime. (not framerate) 

Also of note is most of the glowing 64 testimonials are from people who refused to stop using badly made mods whom now evangelize 64 because those badly made mods no longer ctd but simply thrash the shit out of active memory and papyrus, and therefore their system. The additional memory allocation also means 64 runs better on potato systems that meet the requirements because the memory allocation is far less dynamic and reliant on correct syncing of assets being loaded in.

That 64 will eventually replace 32 is a given due to bethesda literally hiding the means to buy 32 at all behind an unlisted URL, but it will be YEARS before 64 reaches 32's state if ever at all, and with rendering in the state it is now, it will never look as good as 32, period.

So you're saying that it is easier to run SE on weak PC's than LE with ENB, that's what darkconsole and arthmoor said. What about using SE textures on LE with this http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/4482-from-bc7-to-uncompressed-8888-argb-bat-for-texconv/, will they look better than the official hi res pack?

you don't compare vanilla sse to modded skyrim...

you compare vanilla sse to vanilla skyrim, or modded sse to modded skyrim

and you don't use sse textures, you replace that crap by textures packs

like you replace the crap in your facegendata folder with npc replacers

and you inventory swf by the one from skyui

and the rest (there's a reason if console want those mods)

If SSE had the same mods....then I'd say SSE since it is far more stable with mods+doesn't run out of available memory. It runs so much better as a result (plus the engine was improved significantly since it was the FO4 prototype)

What the hell computers are you looking at. I mean we get it, you like you're old computer but damn. You're reaching.

*looks at 1x suddenly deceased 2013 motherboard*
*looks at another one from 2014 with suddenly dead onboard audio*

*remembers the shit Windows 10 has had added to it*

It can be easy to understand why. Though I have to deal with a desktop that is 4 years old+with upgrades, and relegate my 2x favourite desktops (rock solid AF) to DOS games and early Windows XP games respectively.

What the hell computers are you looking at.

the parts (with fucking crapco capacitors) and the warranties they have now + the operating systems and drivers needed to run said parts.

We are a bit beyond the days of the capacitor plague. Most stuff worth buying now either uses Japanese 105oc caps, or polymer caps (like my 1998 Intel motherboard-which runs flawlessly after all these years due to the build quality+attention to detail).
Edit: Stay away from Asus though-5 board from them, all of them developed problems (even the one with a 5 year warranty)

Yep Reaching.

Anyways, Personally I would say go to SSE. It may be lacking mods (not as much as people say to be honest) but thats why I would recommend going to SSE. If SSE gets mod authors on board, especially lately with all the mods being ported and skse64 and even before that with the mod replacements without needing SKSE, id say SSE has a great chance of being something awesome.

It just needs time and mod authors. 

People just tend to be very critical, i get it, i was too at first, but with all the mods that still work from Oldrim, and that are being ported, worked on ect, it has so much potential.

Archived