Major Site Upgrade Coming - November 5th, 2017

Important news!

Come November 5th - LoversLab will attempt again the upgrade to the newest version of IPB.

This will be our 3rd, and likely (hopefully), final attempt. For security and future growth, this is an upgrade that must happen sooner or later, and we are well past later.

---

How the Upgrade Will Happen:

On October 9th, the site will go down for an extended amount of time and afterward will come back the same as it currently is. However, there will be an alternate version of the site, accessible via new.loverslab.com.

All posts on the old site at that point should be considered temporary and with a short lifespan.

The current version of the site shall remain the "default" version of the site until the new one is ready. This new alternate version will become the permanent version of the site, and anything posted on the old site, from October 22nd, may be lost.

Once the new version of the site, after an indeterminant amount of time, will be ready, the domains shall swap, and the new version of the site shall become the default. At this point, the current old version of the site will enter a read-only mode for a short amount of time while the new version takes over entirely. 

---

Questions or Concerns:

If you have any question or concern, do not hesitate to ask, I will be observing this thread heavily to answer as much as I can in the time leading up the upgrade.

Along with the forum software upgrade, there will also be various feature updates and structural improvements to existing forum organization, including both current and new sections. Not all of these changes are set in stone, so I am happy to hear any suggestions from the community here.

Some stuff I remember...

Things I really liked:

Long pages. More content per page means less clicking.

Removal of nested quotes, or at least some alteration.

Things I was mostly ambivalent on:

Activity streams. I hated this at first, but got used to it.

Things I'd like to change:

Differentiation between OP/main mod page updates and actual mod updates. Every time I make a change to the mod description, it counts as an update. I don't really mind dealing with "did this mod update?" questions, because they aren't that numerous, but I do see download numbers take a sharp jump, despite absolutely no version changes - probably eats bandwidth a bit.

Do not save unposted text! The last update had a problem where if I started to write something, then exited (even exited the entire browser), and came back, the text would still be there. This included quoted posts and the order of multi-quote posts. IIRC it was hard to delete, meaning people would be getting quote notifications without my quoting them.

One thing about the last update attempt I really hated was the inability to remove old notifications from my list. Things quickly began to clutter up and it was hard to tell what was new and what was old after a while. Otherwise here's hoping things go well this time!

There is kind of no pleasing people here. If I remove all old notifications during the upgrade, I can guarantee somebody will complain about losing their old notifications. However! when the upgrade happens, message me about this and I can manually wipe out your old notifications for you.

By default, they will remain. Just message me afterward and I'll look into manually wiping yours out if that's what you'd prefer. 

There is kind of no pleasing people here. If I remove all old notifications during the upgrade, I can guarantee somebody will complain about losing their old notifications. However! when the upgrade happens, message me about this and I can manually wipe out your old notifications for you.

By default, they will remain. Just message me afterward and I'll look into manually wiping yours out if that's what you'd prefer.

i think your going to get lots of notifications from people wanting to delete some notifications if you do it that way.

i myself get around 5-15 notifications a day, so i do clear it out quite often.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

for what it's worth the last failed update worked much better than the first failed update, so i do have some optimism that it will work this time.

Few questions

Anything posted before October 9th will be remain and moved to new site only lost if posted after it right?

What about the blogs?

Everything posted before the 9th will be kept, and will go to the new site.