About Fallout 4 Updates from Bethesda.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:03 PM, Kain82 said:

Bueno, yo estoy jodido. El parche descarga automáticamente y ahora no puede jugar. Puto Bethesda. Ahora tengo que esperar a que el equipo de F4SE lanzar una actualización cada vez que pueden. Sé que publicó recientemente una actualización. Así que voy a mantener mis dedos cruzados.

STEAM, LIBRARY, CLICK RIGHT ON PROPERTIES OF THE GAME,
updates, activate the second option,
No more automatic update !!
I hope you understand

Google translator

STEAM, BIBLIOTECA, CLICK DERECHO EN PROPIEDADES del juego,
actualizaciones, activar la segunda opción,
No más actualización automática!!
Espero que se entienda

There are two methods that I can recommend:

1. Browse Steam Settings>Downloads and change update hours.

Example:

SteamSettings.png.33518e8498442b82bddc2e288971c5c8.png

2. Right click on the game in your library and browse Properties>Updates, and change update behavior (since you're running game from f4se launcher, it'll never update)

Example:

GameSettings.png.7bb23002c881549ab95e5d148b4c4cdd.png

Or you're still late, and steam client just begun downloading? Then it's a little tricky but exit the client immediately and read 2nd chapter here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885555151

Very good explanations to how to trick steam client about versions and downloads.

• 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend everyone get in the habit of backing up the Fallout4.exe file after an update so you can roll back to the previous version by just copying it over from your backup until F4SE and all the mods that depend on it that you use are updated. 

Worse comes to worse you can always download the previous version of fallout.exe using the steam console by adding -console to the target line on your steam desktop link and close steam and reopen it. Then visit steamdb.info

-Click on the Fallout 4 link and copy down the App ID # to the right game version (Fallout 4... not Fallout 4 VR or Fallout 4 Creation Club or anything like that. Just the one that says Fallout 4. Paste the App ID# to notepad or whatever is convenient.

-Then click on that App ID which will take you to the Depots. Look for the Fallout4.exe entry. Copy down the Depot ID # in the same place you copied down the App ID. Then click on the Depot ID for Fallout4.exe

-This takes you to Manifests. You don't want the current version since steam already updated to that, you want the previous version. Copy down the Manifest ID # to that version.

-Open up Steam and go to the Console tab. If it's not there, doublecheck that you added -console to the Target field on your Steam desktop link, close steam and reopen it and it should be there.

-In the console type download_depot APP ID # Depot ID # Manifest ID #

So it'll look something like: download_depot ###### ###### #################

-Hit enter, it'll say downloading. Then it'll give you the path it downloaded to. Go to the folder it downloaded to and copy that Fallout4.exe version into your Fallout 4 base game folder.

-Next time remember to back up Fallout 4.exe each time it updates so you don't have to do all this again!

If that was hard to follow, there's a video someone put up showing it here

On 6/28/2018 at 11:13 PM, Destynova99 said:

I highly recommend everyone get in the habit of backing up the Fallout4.exe file after an update so you can roll back to the previous version by just copying it over from your backup until F4SE and all the mods that depend on it that you use are updated. 

Worse comes to worse you can always download the previous version of fallout.exe using the steam console by adding -console to the target line on your steam desktop link and close steam and reopen it. Then visit steamdb.info

-Click on the Fallout 4 link and copy down the App ID # to the right game version (Fallout 4... not Fallout 4 VR or Fallout 4 Creation Club or anything like that. Just the one that says Fallout 4. Paste the App ID# to notepad or whatever is convenient.

-Then click on that App ID which will take you to the Depots. Look for the Fallout4.exe entry. Copy down the Depot ID # in the same place you copied down the App ID. Then click on the Depot ID for Fallout4.exe

-This takes you to Manifests. You don't want the current version since steam already updated to that, you want the previous version. Copy down the Manifest ID # to that version.

-Open up Steam and go to the Console tab. If it's not there, doublecheck that you added -console to the Target field on your Steam desktop link, close steam and reopen it and it should be there.

-In the console type download_depot APP ID # Depot ID # Manifest ID #

So it'll look something like: download_depot ###### ###### #################

-Hit enter, it'll say downloading. Then it'll give you the path it downloaded to. Go to the folder it downloaded to and copy that Fallout4.exe version into your Fallout 4 base game folder.

-Next time remember to back up Fallout 4.exe each time it updates so you don't have to do all this again!

If that was hard to follow, there's a video someone put up showing it here

Do we really have to wait for updates for every single mod that uses F4SE? I thought it was just F4SE that needed to be updated.

you don't have to wait, if you are ready to accept your save game becoming corrupt and starting over. Most mods that rely on F4SE will not function with any version other than the specific one set for the version of FO4 that F4SE it set for.  This is by design, as many changes that take place when they(Bethesda) update the game will cause the mods to not only fail to function but will often cause cross linked references and crashes.

Unfortunately this seems to be a concerted decision by Bethesda for reasons unknown, though the popular theory is that they are intentionally trying to alienate and discourage those who make tools that allow modding outside of their(Bethesda) specific tools and repositories.

Do they still download gigs of crap from the Creation Club whenever you update or did they fix that at some point? I've never permitted it up to update past 1.9, so I've never had the Creation Club installed. I'd like to finally update and try out the MCM and some of the mods that have come out using it, but stealing my bandwidth to store gigs of garbage I don't want on my SSD is absolutely a deal breaker.

3 hours ago, Rooker said:

Do they still download gigs of crap from the Creation Club whenever you update or did they fix that at some point? I've never permitted it up to update past 1.9, so I've never had the Creation Club installed. I'd like to finally update and try out the MCM and some of the mods that have come out using it, but stealing my bandwidth to store gigs of garbage I don't want on my SSD is absolutely a deal breaker.

The last few updates have been around 100 MB but considering the "content" of the CC it is likely that you will be getting all of the support data files and simply not getting the esp/esl, though I don't know for sure.

Well, i am always updating my FO4 (i am waiting for a few mods before updating to .98) and about CC content: They don't come with the updates. Steam will only downlod CC stuff if you verify game integrity (after deleting them, of course). So whenever you need to do it, remember to delete all the CC stuf it will download.
And if you are concerned about CC, install CCCleaner. Before going baack to the game after i updated it to the version with CC content, i installed it and never had any problem since then.

After every Fo4 update, i wait for a week or more for all mods that use F4SE to be updated too, and it is just fine, because running the game with MO2 and F4SE doesn't trigger the download (it only detects the launcher). I think that the only mod that needs updating now is FreeFlyCam, and i use more or less 10 mods that depends on F4SE version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm new to F4SE Fallout modding, been modding Skyrim for a long time and just only got into the Script extender with Fallout so I never realized updates would be such a huge problem. Needless to say Steam updated me while I was sleeping. I have now changed my settings so that shouldn't happen again, but I was hopeing someone could offer me a rollback to the previous patch, pretty much anyone who didnt update and was on version 1.10.98, I would really appreciate a rollback. I don't want to have to wait for not only F4SE update, but an update on all the mods that rely on it.

Edit: So I did a bit of searching and ran into threads on how to restore the previous version of your Fallout.exe.

This link will give instructions on what you need to do to revert to a previous version. Normally it requires a lot of steps and can be a bit annoying to find the right string of codes to revert, but thankfully for anyone who just needs to go back to 1.10.98, it can be simplified into 3 easy steps since I have the download string.

**For anyone who just needs to revert to 1.10.98, scroll down to the bottom for a simplified version**

Follow up to step 2, clink the link to open console on your steam. Now with steam console opened, enter in this command > download_depot 377160 377162 2144426079840954483 (please remember this code is ONLY for people who want to revert to 1.10.98, for anyone else, you will need to follow the rest of the steps to figure out which 3 number strings you need)

Steam will now download fallout.exe from the previous patch, note after it downloads it will give a line showing where your file has been downloaded. This path will be different for everyone, but for example it will look like this:

Depot download complete : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_377160\depot_377162" (1 files, manifest 2144426079840954483) 

Remember, it will be different for everyone. Now go to that file path and you will see the files that were downloaded. Simply copy and paste them into your fallout directory, you will now be reverted to that patch.

I will never let Bethesda get me again with an auto-update, lesson learned.

F4SE has been updated to the current FO4 exe. if you don't see the updated version remember to refresh your browser page. Now hopefully it won't take too long for all the mods to get patched.

Another helpful tip on preventing steam from updating you unexpectedly is to set your update time to only happen at 0300 or whatever time you generally don't have steam active.

• 2 weeks later...

i am so sick and goddamn tired of this bullshit

i have fallout 4 installed every once in awhile steam says fallout 4 is not installed, i click install it finds my game then it downloads a update. 

i try to keep steam offline but when this happens i have to go online to "Fix" it. i am seriously considering Just Downloading a Cracked Version, i hate Bethesda So Fucking much.

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

I always play in offline mode.  Saves me alot of trouble and even then, updates are limited to very late hours as a precaution as well. 

For me, this didnt work. I was still forced to update. Now I have set Steam to offline, with my launchers read-only and write privilege taken off. I am even thinking about doing the same for steam but I do not know what it would do to my downloaded games.

1 hour ago, Ghostman7nz said:

From the looks of things they have pushed an update to most of their "current" games, and the patch notes are so in depth you almost might possibly get an indication as to what the patch might be intended to "fix". . . Not really

I agree. I was foolish to try and grab the last of my games off of steam. When it started to dl. However do to me having my application set to read-only. It is stuck on download pending. Nothing is wrong with my game. I cannot wait for 76, that wat Beth can leave us alone.

Also I was talking to a few friends that have law degrees, and I told them what was happening with these "updates". And what they told me was that due to the game being one of transaction (I give them money, they give me a product.) that concluded our business. They asked was there any bug fixes, I told them the only one I knew about was two updates ago and everything else was to push m e into buying something I dont want. The answer was do to this game being an offline game (while the law is sticky) could be illegal. 

Offline games does not have a terms of service. Whereas, online games do. In an online game everyone has to have the same files, offline doesn't. I do wonder why the first iteration of cc failed. I think it do to people not buying their crap. Now they found a way to force people to update, even when they dont want to.