About Fallout 4 Updates from Bethesda.

I got errors for LooksMenu, Terminal+, and ShadowBoost, and a CTD on startup. I updated LooksMenu and uninstalled ShadowBoost and still no luck. I am not sure what Terminal+ actually is from offhand, but it also says starting up that it will be disabled. 

Edit: It's Transfer Settlements? I could've sworn I had that disabled for a while now since I wasn't using it

Edit 2: It appears you have to delete the F4SE files for it as well

Ah good, F4SE has been updated. I'll update the OP. However, I'll still recommend avoiding the Bethesda update if possible. But if someone already made that mistake, then F4SE is now available for it.

Four-Play and its mods should work fine with old FO4 version + old F4SE version, as well as new FO4 version + new F4SE version

I'm fully expecting more F4SE-breaking updates from Bethesda since there are tons of bugs with their Creation Club rollout (People can't purchase credits in game, 2.1 GB of Creation Club content in your Data folder you haven't bought lol), so the next time Steam asks you to update, don't, unless you can see F4SE has been updated for it.

I wonder how far down the road we are from FO4 VR (something they showed about a year ago when people thought VR was going to be the next big thing). That will also come with updates and other fun shit that will break f4se.

Creation club... The bright side... it gives you the BA2's which can be opened with Ousinus's BAE extractor...

From there you can just extract/rip what you want and make your own esp (or get creative and rename the bsa's to match an esp you create that calls on the files).

Bethesda: offering up free stuff and not even knowing it....  I mean it would be harder if we were talking a dlc with new locations (like far harbor or nuka world) but just mesh, textures, and what not...

I can see this happening in the near future for crap off the club: End user - "That is a nice outfit in this bsa, but it cost how much?. Yeah right, let me make an esp for it in FO4EDIT... Thanks Bethesda for the free shit!!!". Cause it really is that simple... just create a new esp in FO4edit, setup the armor, armor add-on, weapon, omod, constructable object, etc, extract the shit out of the bsa and off you go...

Don't know if this is just me, but the update appears to have borked up the Unlimited Survival Activations mod and causes the game to CTD on startup. I'm no modding genius, but I'm looking to see if I can hack together some sort of functioning version for this update. 

Just one more mod gone haywire with this damn update. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I somehow managed to forget it's a swf file, and I am but a poor plebian without Adobe's tools. 

Over 2 gig for an update to install something that has virtually no content as far as being something thought out to placate people to make them think it's actually any good to have in the first place.

To me it's a bit like no one was doing any thinking about actually adding content to make it work in the first place,, to make the punters go,, oooh that's nice I want that,, but instead allotted some hap hazard eye-candy,, and that you still have to do missions to get what your paying for,  it seem's to me like their not really understanding the client base that would buy the crap for the sake of buying crap.

From the simplest of marketing strategies this Creation Club screams out,, keep away,, it's not worth the trouble of your dollars or time, and that as well with them breaking other mods and of F4SE going south as of update/s, that no one possibly really want's to do an update to F4SE,  if that there will more than likely be any number of updates to FO4 just for more eye candy and that F4SE could be on the back burner as far as wanting to update it for how many continual updates that will be thrown at everyone,, nope I don't think it will be happening till Bethesda reaches a limit to how many updates they will do till it becomes a dead fish for them to even think of.

But that one thing did make me ask a very simple question,, of no one in particular,, why,, when that they already have the services of Steam to host their DLC as Steam is already doing,, is this being implemented to cut out profit sharing and possibly to remove DLC from the Steam site,, could be something to look at if that the game will be going to the back of the shelf as of now not making money as of game sales and headed for the Orange box, to the under $10 games bin.

Could be their last ditch attempt to make money from the game franchise,, specially if there is no Fall Out 5 being talked about.

Guys i'm totally on board for the Bethesda and Creation Club bashing, but let's get the facts straight.

The CC content downloaded so far is 681MB, everything else are updated files that apparently were already part of the game before:

Fallout4 - meshes.ba2 (1.5GB)

Fallout4.esm (323MB)

Fallout4 - Interface.ba2 (211MB)

Fallout4 - Startup.ba2 (36MB)

Fallout4 - Misc.ba2 (17MB)

Fallout4 - Materials.ba2 (1.7MB)

Here is my question... Why can't Beth.. Just make CC optional? Like do you have to be forced to download the creation clue and break the mods.. Like just allow users to download at will instead of making it a force download. This would really solve a lot of the problems. 

My take on all of this is that Beth implemented this as a way around Sony's draconian mod practices....and it it makes them more money, then they are all the happier for it. It was probably easier for them to just implement it cross platform wide, instead of targeting one specific platform. And also, there are some ppls on Xbox and even PC who will most likely use it for ease of access, so again, more money for them. Where they kind of messed up (as they normally do) was the roll out aspect of it all. Forcing close to a gig of unwanted files onto an already jaded and suspicious PC crowd was probably not the wisest course of action from a PR standpoint, but again, it may be that it cannot be helped from a logistical point of view. We'll just have to wait and see where it all goes.

.....just put steam into update when launched mode and put it in offline mode for good measure.

I learned that trick a long time ago.

And I back up my Fallout4 exe just for good measure.

It's actually good to have a completely clean version of the entire game folder backed up. I used to do this for Skyrim and New Vegas. Got Lazy with Fallout 4 and now I regret it, though the Rollback worked so whatevs.

Guest kimbale

Here is my question... Why can't Beth.. Just make CC optional? Like do you have to be forced to download the creation clue and break the mods.. Like just allow users to download at will instead of making it a force download. This would really solve a lot of the problems. 

My take on all of this is that Beth implemented this as a way around Sony's draconian mod practices....and it it makes them more money, then they are all the happier for it. It was probably easier for them to just implement it cross platform wide, instead of targeting one specific platform. And also, there are some ppls on Xbox and even PC who will most likely use it for ease of access, so again, more money for them. Where they kind of messed up (as they normally do) was the roll out aspect of it all. Forcing close to a gig of unwanted files onto an already jaded and suspicious PC crowd was probably not the wisest course of action from a PR standpoint, but again, it may be that it cannot be helped from a logistical point of view. We'll just have to wait and see where it all goes.

You can't make mods on PS4. PC users actually make the mods.

...so "fuck the PC people, they ain't getting us money"?

How do you avoid installing it? I don't see any options in Steam to NOT install updates. That's kind of annoying, actually;

well it looks like it downloaded for me while sleeping, but had bodyslide opened with MO2 locking down the game files, the update is downloaded but says "content file locked", what do i do, help!

Man, I saw that update while I was downloading something else and thought Steam was just being stupid about my mods replacing core files. I didn't realize there really was an update. Glad I didn't let it download. I came within a few pixels of downloading this by accident, even as careful as I am.

A few tips from someone (me) who completely frickin loathes Steam:

As several  people said already, set Fallout 4 to "update only when I launch" (Steam library > Properties > Updates)

Personally, I hate Steam, so I keep it offline when not using it for something. I also firewall the damn thing for good measure, because even in offline mode, it still uses my network without permission to update itself.

Never, ever, EVER launch the game from within Steam, or from the desktop shortcut that Steam creates. Never do that.

Zip up your entire Fallout 4 folder and save it somewhere, just for situations like this.

If Steam says there is an update required, but has not yet downloaded it...

Immediately put Steam into Offline mod and then close it. Check the system tray to make certain it's not still running.

Find the file appmanifest_377160.acf, which should be in the \Steam\Steamapps\ folder. Open it in a text editor. Look for this line:     "StateFlags"        "XX" where XX is a number. Change that number to "4". This tells it that the game is installed and is fully up-to-date, no update required.

Look for these two lines and make sure the number is 0 in both:    

"BytesToDownload"        "0"

"BytesDownloaded"        "0"

When you're done, save it, close your text editor and set the file to Read-Only. You'll need to undo this if you ever decide to allow the update.

Look in the \Steam\Steamapps\Downloading\ folder and if there are any files or folders with "377160" in the name, delete it immediately.

You *should* be safe to play the game now, as long as you DO NOT EVER launch it from within Steam. To be extra safe, only ever launch the game while Steam is offline.

If it already started downloading the update but didn't install it, this *might* work to halt the update and return it to a playable state, but I can't promise anything.

1st off, thanks to those who did the hard work of updating F4SE and creating the patch!. That was fast. 

I think I am missing something in the process though.

Updated F4SE -- Check

Installed the patch -- Check

Fly cam is not working for me and neither is the "0" change positions key. 

I've deleted all FP files and animations and started from scratch, still not flying.

Any ideas ? 

1st off, thanks to those who did the hard work of updating F4SE and creating the patch!. That was fast. 

I think I am missing something in the process though.

Updated F4SE -- Check

Installed the patch -- Check

Fly cam is not working for me and neither is the "0" change positions key. 

I've deleted all FP files and animations and started from scratch, still not flying.

Any ideas ? 

Until you figure out how to sort it out, assuming the Hotkeys mod on Nexus isn't also broken, you can set a hotkey to run the TFC command. That's what I do.

/edit: I meant TFC, not TCL

How do you avoid installing it? I don't see any options in Steam to NOT install updates. That's kind of annoying, actually;

well it looks like it downloaded for me while sleeping, but had bodyslide opened with MO2 locking down the game files, the update is downloaded but says "content file locked", what do i do, help!

Man, I saw that update while I was downloading something else and thought Steam was just being stupid about my mods replacing core files. I didn't realize there really was an update. Glad I didn't let it download. I came within a few pixels of downloading this by accident, even as careful as I am.

A few tips from someone (me) who completely frickin loathes Steam:

As several  people said already, set Fallout 4 to "update only when I launch" (Steam library > Properties > Updates)

Personally, I hate Steam, so I keep it offline when not using it for something. I also firewall the damn thing for good measure, because even in offline mode, it still uses my network without permission to update itself.

Never, ever, EVER launch the game from within Steam, or from the desktop shortcut that Steam creates. Never do that.

Zip up your entire Fallout 4 folder and save it somewhere, just for situations like this.

If Steam says there is an update required, but has not yet downloaded it...

Immediately put Steam into Offline mod and then close it. Check the system tray to make certain it's not still running.

Find the file appmanifest_377160.acf, which should be in the \Steam\Steamapps\ folder. Open it in a text editor. Look for this line:     "StateFlags"        "XX" where XX is a number. Change that number to "4". This tells it that the game is installed and is fully up-to-date, no update required.

Look for these two lines and make sure the number is 0 in both:    

"BytesToDownload"        "0"

"BytesDownloaded"        "0"

When you're done, save it, close your text editor and set the file to Read-Only. You'll need to undo this if you ever decide to allow the update.

Look in the \Steam\Steamapps\Downloading\ folder and if there are any files or folders with "377160" in the name, delete it immediately.

You *should* be safe to play the game now, as long as you DO NOT EVER launch it from within Steam. To be extra safe, only ever launch the game while Steam is offline.

If it already started downloading the update but didn't install it, this *might* work to halt the update and return it to a playable state, but I can't promise anything.

Thank you for this, I bookmarked this thread if I ever need it.

Steam fucked me in the ass and installed the update in the background while I was working and not paying attention. Finally I got my game fixed again. Steam is set up properly now, and in offline mode for punishment. They had me since Morrowind. I started on a path and became a professional artist mostly because of that game. I loved Oblivion. Fallout 3 I really enjoyed. Skyrim was my life, over 4000 hours in it. Fallout 4 I am still having fun with. Bethe$da, or should I call them Greedthesda is slowly but surely digging their own grave. 

Never will I buy their game again. There are other ways. 

1st post, so to start it's a little (completely) off topic but many thanks and giant props to all the people involved in modding Fallout 4, some amazing work especially from Vinfamy who appears to be basically running the show at this point.

So anyways, I got caught out by the update, hopefully it won't screw up everything. I haven't updated F4SE yet, that is next on the list. Just a heads up, it would appear that Bethesda are releasing regular 'bug-fixing' patches, and these all include the entire Creation Club archive. Apparently it's also messing with load orders.

Cribbed from https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-4/fallout-4-bethesdas-creation-club-forced-downloads