Modern Firearms (OUTDATED, NEW LINKS NOW POSTED) 2.5 1.4 by Idlesheep

Lol, yeah the workbench was never very happy about the load put on it by mf. A lot of folk had issues in the early days with whole categories of modifications disappearing unless you backed out of the bench, equipped the weapon you were trying to mod and then going back in to modify it. We never figured that out if it was a problem at our end, and put it down to some memory glitch in the game engine.

Will you do quest-script driven Level-List injection? I really like to see THAT convenience feature.

Edit: Also, could you revert the start area edits? Maybe in favor for a weapon box or something like that outside Vault 111... It generates hickups a lot... though... could be an issue in combination with "Start me Up" though.

Will you do quest-script driven Level-List injection? I really like to see THAT convenience feature.

Edit: Also, could you revert the start area edits? Maybe in favor for a weapon box or something like that outside Vault 111... It generates hickups a lot... though... could be an issue in combination with "Start me Up" though.

Scripted leveled-list injection is currently item 4 or 5 on the priority list, so it *will* happen eventually. If we can find someone willing to pitch in there it'll hopefully be in the next major update.

For now, just grab Wrye Bash and build a Bashed patch, that'll solve any LL conflicts. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20032/?

As for the edits to Vault 111 and providing some start-up kit, we're debating what exactly to do there. Thankfully LegacySlayer actually knows how to do it right so the edits don't break precombine data or anything like that, so it's just a matter of deciding the "what" and "where".

I did have the 2.41 version from this site: http://darkheartsdream.eu/gallery 

it's an old version and very raw, but still have better sound (firing sounds) that I use to like. Now this version 2.51 is way better but the gun sounds are different, I particularly like 2.41 sound better. I've tried to manually overwrite but the 2.51 is compiled into the ESP fie.

Could you make a " regular-folder" version ? or a patch with the old gun sonuds?

it's an old version and very raw, but still have better sound (firing sounds) that I use to like. Now this version 2.51 is way better but the gun sounds are different, I particularly like 2.41 sound better. I've tried to manually overwrite but the 2.51 is compiled into the ESP fie.

Could you make a " regular-folder" version ? or a patch with the old gun sonuds?

Loose files - No. That would literally double the download size, and potentially cause performance issues due to the game having to load a couple thousand uncompressed files instead of two big-but-compressed files like it does with .ba2 archives.

As for a sound replacer - I'll have to go through and check, but IIRC some of the sound keywords were altered on top of the new SFX files, which means that building a patch to use the old SFX is gonna be a bit of a pain. Also, don't let Cemology hear you complaining about them :P dude put in a fair bit of work getting these new SFX made for us.

That said, you can always try just dropping in the SFX from 2.4 as loose files, since loose files override archives. That might work.

Spent the last year on and off switching out gun sounds for this mod and others it was a good portion of the fun using the mod. I managed to separate the ATG sound resources from the 20mm vulcan gun so they have separate sounds now. There was a sound replacer mod on nexus a while back I think I got that ATG sound from there. Even harder to find is really good 3rd person sounds or npc sounds as the game sees them. The vanilla plink plink sounds from the game are terrible lol. Trying to make sound loops for automatic weapons is really hard I don't think I can get audacity software to ever do it right.

Cool... i'd help out... but modding with CK or FO4Edit is beyound my skills... and yeah... i know how to manually merge and fix things with FO4Edit at least.

But its great to see it in development again.

A suggestion: make the Companion Overhaul optionally, please? I like the weapon distribution but yeah... would be better if it was optional.

Loose files - No. That would literally double the download size, and potentially cause performance issues due to the game having to load a couple thousand uncompressed files instead of two big-but-compressed files like it does with .ba2 archives.

As for a sound replacer - I'll have to go through and check, but IIRC some of the sound keywords were altered on top of the new SFX files, which means that building a patch to use the old SFX is gonna be a bit of a pain. Also, don't let Cemology hear you complaining about them :P dude put in a fair bit of work getting these new SFX made for us.

That said, you can always try just dropping in the SFX from 2.4 as loose files, since loose files override archives. That might work.

thanks for the reply

Placing the loose files didn't work. may I check the directory? 2.4 is:

data/sound/SHEEP/Modern Firearms

is this correct to replace the 2.5?

You could try unpacking the ba2 file - 'main' contains everything but the textures, then see what the new sound files are called. I still have a lot of the old sound files on my Google drive if you need them. If you can track down the ones you don't like, and rename the ones you preferred to have the same names then copy/pasting/overwriting in the loose files should work.

If you can't find them, gimme a shout, I'm away from home at the moment but I'll help if I can.

Find a ba2 extractor here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/78/?

...that's just the first Google result, there are others. Once you unpack the main ba2 you can use the loose files (maintaining the filepath of course) or repack after replacing the sounds in question.

@Zor2k13: afaik the only weapon that uses a loop is the minigun, all the other 'auto' sounds are a single sample played repeatedly til you let go of the trigger or your mag runs dry. You may be right about them needing loops for the distant NPC's though. Trick is only to tail your sounds fairly abruptly, otherwise the game runs out of assigned voices and you start to hear shot tails cutting off as the voice is assigned to a new shot. As the game applies its own reverbs, the result ain't near as ugly as what you'd hear listening to them dry in audacity.

Yeah that single shot sound works great for weapons with a low rate of fire like say 60 or 80 but once you hit 90 or higher it jumbles together sounding like misfires every once in a while. The loop sound fixes that but a loop is hard to make since changing the speed in audacity (to fit more shots in the loop) also changes the pitch and makes the sound higher and offbeat. I think the people on nexus making loops are using something better than audacity to make their loops.

Best bet is to set up say five or six channels, and edit single shots into them overlapping by the desired amount to get your rof, working your way cyclically through the channels as often as needed.Then bounce the thing down into one stereo file, done. You're right, simply pitching the sample up and down won't be pretty. If you've really got to use a premade loop then you need a timestretching function, sorry but I'm not familiar enough with audacity to tell you if it has that. Be aware though that you'll still only get about 10-20% in either direction before you start to notice it degrading the quality.

thanks siframe, it worked!

tho I still have something I don't like in most gun mods, and that's how crumbled (or robotic) the automatic shots sound. In my searches around the files I realize that vanilla weapons (and some weapons mods) use a different type of file for automatic, which contains an interrupt firing sound instead of a singe shot, that makes the experience way smoother, it's not that I'm that kind of picky with mods perfection, it's just that the sound of the gun have a lot of importance to me, more than the gun itself sometimes.

That beign said, this mod have only one weapon that I like the automatic version: the UMP / MP5, somehow the automatic sound is smooth and rewarding.

I know i've been asking a lot since I've started here, but is it possible/viable to make the automatic type of file (with ongoing shots)?

I'll take a look at it when I get back home, sure. I won't be at my studio til early September, but I can certainly make some loops for you. If we figure out between us how those things work then it could benefit the whole mod, so it sounds like a worthwhile exercise, and we can start by making some custom loops for you and see how it goes. Sounds like it might be fun and a useful learning exercise all in one of you don't figure it out for yourself before I'm home.

The smooth sound from the ump and mp5 is only because their rate of fire is low, try adding a legendary rapid enchantment to either of them and it gets closer to not so smooth but still those two guns I think they have slow enough rate of fire it is better sounding with those two even with that enchantment compared to other guns in the mod.

Useful to know, cheers Zor2k13. As I've said to Tali, when I get back home in September I'll take a look at making some loops myself, but in the meantime look up timestretching in audacity, see if that's possible. If so then that's how to get your loop sounds to specific rates of fire, even if you need to find something close-ish to start with.

Edit: I'll probably talk it through some with both you and Tali at the time, getting stuff like the length of loop required and a few of the rates of fire needed will be useful.

I'll take a look at it when I get back home, sure. I won't be at my studio til early September, but I can certainly make some loops for you. If we figure out between us how those things work then it could benefit the whole mod, so it sounds like a worthwhile exercise, and we can start by making some custom loops for you and see how it goes. Sounds like it might be fun and a useful learning exercise all in one of you don't figure it out for yourself before I'm home.

I would really appreciate. Also, I could use some "loping sonds" from other weapon mods or even vanilla, I just don't know where to place them, it don't work when place a loop type on a semi-auto type.

No, I'm guessing the set up for those sounds is totally different, rather than the rate of fire setting how often the semi sound is played, there has to be an on/off setup for the loop and interrupt to be triggered by the fire button being pressed and released. The only way to find out how it works is to look at another mod that uses the method, so me providing loops is far from where the work ends, but then nothing is ever simple, huh?

Any chance to get caliber conversions for modern side arms?

I'ld really like to see the SIG and HK's offered in 10mm (P220, 1911, usp, socom, etc) and the Walther P99 offered in .380 acp...

In RL some people have converted the USP's 40's over to 10mm (can also use the USP 45's as a conversion but will need more parts like a custom barrel along with the usp 40 s&w extractor, and ejectors).... but yeah caliber swaps for the pistols to use vanilla ammo would be nice.

Any chance of a high capacity frame swap for the H&K 1911 (say something like a para ordance HC frame, STI 2011, Caspian High cap Titanium frame, or Bull's Composite high cap frame... that last one was offered in the US for a while from Kimber as there high cap 45 a couple of years back) along with the double stack mags.... Toss in some 4in Commander and 6in Hunter style slide and barrel sets.... Along with regular night sights for folks that don't want a rail and a red dot on there pistol's.

Damn shame STI doesn't make the "Perfect 10" any more (but who in the hell could afford a $3000 price tag for a pistol, for that much you could get 2 sig P220 elite's in 10mm).... guess I'll stick with my cheap ass EAA Witness and Glock 20c in real life.

Oh speaking for the Sig P220... any chance of re using the Sig P226 meshes and offering a 220 .45 acp and 10mm conversion???

Uh not sure if anyone has even done meshes for it but....

The DesertTech's MDR (Micro Dynamic Rifle) would be a nice weapon for a future version for Modern Firearm's.

It is similar to the Tavor/TAR-21 (gas piston bullpup), but starts out with a Nato 7.62x51 mag well (along with barrel and bolt for 7.62x51).

Then with a mag well insert, barrel swap and bolt swap goes down to .300 blackout or 5.56 nato. (at the 2017 shot show they stated they might offer it in 6.8 spc as well).... They are also planning a 20in barrel variant.

More info on it can be found here https://deserttech.com/product_overview.php?product_id=4&load=product_overview

It would be nice to have a 20in Semi Auto in 7.62x51 as a Marksman variant then have a 6.8 spc 16in full auto as a CQB weapon... just a thought.

Yeah that mdr is pretty sexy huh? We'll keep our eyes open for models.

As for the ms caliber conversions, many of the ms guns already have conversions, but I'm not entirely sure that the specific ones you've requested are in, (I'm sure you can understand that in a mod this size remembering everything when I haven't seen my pc in over a week is plain impossible lol.)

Some good news though- we're due in an upcoming version to include ense7en's 1911's thanks to LegacySlayer joining us and ense7en kindly giving his blessing. Thus a Kimber model is incoming, along with a whole bunch of goodies from what's a pretty amazing mod. Give it a shot if you haven't already:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24989/?

Anyway, I'll point Whiskey in this direction to look over your requests- he's both more immediately knowledgeable about what's in already and he's about as big a gun-nut as you'll ever meet, so he can talk about real steel options we haven't yet included all day long lol.

Any chance to get caliber conversions for modern side arms?

I'ld really like to see the SIG and HK's offered in 10mm (P220, 1911, usp, socom, etc) and the Walther P99 offered in .380 acp...

In RL some people have converted the USP's 40's over to 10mm (can also use the USP 45's as a conversion but will need more parts like a custom barrel along with the usp 40 s&w extractor, and ejectors).... but yeah caliber swaps for the pistols to use vanilla ammo would be nice.

Any chance of a high capacity frame swap for the H&K 1911 (say something like a para ordance HC frame, STI 2011, Caspian High cap Titanium frame, or Bull's Composite high cap frame... that last one was offered in the US for a while from Kimber as there high cap 45 a couple of years back) along with the double stack mags.... Toss in some 4in Commander and 6in Hunter style slide and barrel sets.... Along with regular night sights for folks that don't want a rail and a red dot on there pistol's.

Damn shame STI doesn't make the "Perfect 10" any more (but who in the hell could afford a $3000 price tag for a pistol, for that much you could get 2 sig P220 elite's in 10mm).... guess I'll stick with my cheap ass EAA Witness and Glock 20c in real life.

Oh speaking for the Sig P220... any chance of re using the Sig P226 meshes and offering a 220 .45 acp and 10mm conversion???

Uh not sure if anyone has even done meshes for it but....

The DesertTech's MDR (Micro Dynamic Rifle) would be a nice weapon for a future version for Modern Firearm's.

It is similar to the Tavor/TAR-21 (gas piston bullpup), but starts out with a Nato 7.62x51 mag well (along with barrel and bolt for 7.62x51).

Then with a mag well insert, barrel swap and bolt swap goes down to .300 blackout or 5.56 nato. (at the 2017 shot show they stated they might offer it in 6.8 spc as well).... They are also planning a 20in barrel variant.

More info on it can be found here https://deserttech.com/product_overview.php?product_id=4&load=product_overview

It would be nice to have a 20in Semi Auto in 7.62x51 as a Marksman variant then have a 6.8 spc 16in full auto as a CQB weapon... just a thought.

Re: 10mm conversions - Consider it done. I just added 10mm and .40 S&W conversions to the Vector's options last night.

Re: Hi-cap 1911 frames - Definitely doable. Was gonna bring up the possibility of replacing our current H&K prototype 1911 with a proper one (got a model and textures, just gotta rig the damn thing), if we get that done it shouldn't be too hard to kludge together some wide-body variants. And hey, that way I can build a replica of Rock Island's .22TCM - that's a screamer of a cartridge, 40 grain slug at around 2,100 FPS from a 5" pistol barrel.

Re: SIG P220 conversion - Again, consider it done. May not look right since it'll be using the default 226 parts, but it'll do for now.

Re: DT MDR - Definitely possible, but don't hold your breath. Only model I've found for it is massively incomplete, still needs UVs and textures before anyone could even consider rigging it for in-game use.

Sure, I'll pass this along. Any more details? That's the dragonskin vest is it? Male or female character? Vanilla or cbbe/evb? Any fov or character size tweaking on your end?

Interestingly it is not from the armors in your mod, but only on that rifle animation... i also sent it to the armor maker... so maybe delay it a bit. I can't figure out myself if it is a model or animation thing :/