UglyKidCid's BBB Corner 1.0

Some things I'd like to mention. Many of the BBB meshes I find are poorly optimized. That's not just the ones here, but all over the net. Often there is leftover nodes from the removed bodyparts, like texturingproperties and materials, cluttering up the file. These are easily identified because they end up floating outside the scene root branch in nifskope. Easily fixed by selecting the scene root node and clicking "crop to branch". Also easily prevented, by using block -> remove BRANCH instead of just block -> remove.

Secondly, many of those same nifs have skinproperties that are different than the most commonly used standard. They have skin material colors somewhere in the orange-pink regions, which might seem appropriate, until you remember that not all races have that skintone. It causes ugly seems, as many times, those meshes come with hands and feet that have the correct white skinmaterials.

Finally, nifskope has a handy feature that combines properties if they are the same. So instead of 50 little gem nodes, each with their own texturing and materialproperties, all will refer to the same properties. When the mesh is done and all textures and materials are assigned, go to spells -> optimize -> combine properties. Especially in meshes that use many small parts this can be a pretty good boost to performance.

I usually perform these steps form myself with any new mods I download, but not everyone will know how to do that, so maybe you could try to do it for them, with any future BBB conversions?

Evenstar

I always do the following:

Batch: Update all tangent spaces

Sanitize: Adjsut all link arrays

Optimize: Remove bogus nodes.

What do I need to add to that?

Look at the nif structure in tree-form. If there is anything outside the sceneroot branch' date=' use crop to branch on the sceneroot. Anything not inside the sceneroot is junk, leftover from removing nodes with "remove" instead of "remove branch".

Under spells, optimize, combine properties. Effect is easiest to see when looking at the nif structure in list form. You'll see all the duplicate materialproperties/textureproperties disappear. Optimizing means the shadervariables don't have to be "changed" between rendering nodes, unless they actually are different.

Also, unless there's a reason for them to be different, skin materials should be white for ambient and diffuse, black for specular and emissive, with glossyness at 10. Those are the most commonly used settings which result in less visible seams at the neck and any bodypart not included in that particular nif.

Here's a link to some screenies that will illustrate the process:

Photobucket album

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that some of the BBB meshes have reversed normals that are not present in the originals. Lady Elegance, Lady Flirt and Lowrise to name a few that I looked at. Additionally, Lady Elegance and Lady Flirt have different MaterialProperty settings from the originals. Not sure to what extent the others are affected.

There are two lady flirt mods. One is Normal E cup and the other DMRA. There are also two Lady Elegance Mods. Original and recolor. I have no idea what reverse normals are but I am hoping you will tell me. The originals are not BBB. What else could I have added? I do know that the originals contained problems with the nails which I had to borrow from the DMRA or I could not add the BBB. I used the same nails with the lowrise. The lowrise got altered a lot as far as fixing unmatched body parts.

I'm only comparing the BBB versions to the original non-DMRA, non-recolored versions by Krista. However, Elegance recolor vs BBB Elegance recolor yields similar findings.

In broad terms, normals define how a user views the mesh. Commonly, meshes can be said to have an inside and outside. Normals pointing out allows you to see the outsides of the mesh. From my experience, messed up normals can cause discoloration.

Krista's original Lady Elegance mesh:

ZxiB6.png

BBB Version: Dark spots and no specular settings.

3nJNr.png

BBB Version + specular: After applying Krista's specular settings, messed up normals are much more noticeable. No screenshot but the front of the model also has these dark spots.

gUtgb.png

BBB Version + specular + face normal: My attempt at cleaning up the normals using Nifskope's Face Normals.

6odPC.png

The last pic looks ok but I've read on another forum that Nifskope's Face Normals messes up normals even more, therefore I can't wholly recommend using it. The normals got messed up somewhere when importing, exporting or during the BBB conversion. I don't know what discernible difference there are in-game as I don't have these installed. Probably just some darker colored areas. If you're after a cleaner mesh, maybe Blender has a similar tool as Face Normals? Unfortunately this is the extent of my knowledge.

This is interesting and I think it is a result of the BBB process. I know that during the BBB process that the neck seam and the hand seams must be realigned. This is discussed in the the BBB tutorial that Saaya put together. He explains that thing become unaligned. You than have to import bodyparts and realign everything. I am wondering if this is related to that.

One thing I have notice for sure is that BBB clothing causes more lag. In some cases to the point of CTD's