[WIP] Where do the bad girls go?

Trykz

Depends on how much more difficult/time consuming it would be to do I would say

The basics are all pretty much right there. It's really just a matter of making sure all the functionality is in place. The faction arrest trigger is the important thing. It's a simple checkbox on the faction form that directs guards to arrest criminals rather than attack them. What I'm unsure about until I test things, is if the dialogue to support it is actually there. If I recall correctly, Skyrim's arrest dialogue was controlled by it's quest manager, because the arrest mechanics were actually a recurring quest that ran in stages like any other. Get arrested, go to jail, sleep to clear your bounty, get released. Rinse and repeat. So I need to find out if that quest exists, or if I'll have to create it myself.

For the most part, this is what I'd like to experiment with. Except, the process is not always the same, and things vary accordingly with the severity of the crime.

The alternative (and what I was initially thinking early on) is to track various factions for crimes committed against them. With values placed on those crimes, and punishments assigned to those values that determine how long you stay imprisoned and where in the prison you are sent. For example:

tracked faction = neutral (guard factions, quest npc factions, vendor factions, caravan factions, etc.)

Commit a crime against any of these, and you are added to one of 4 new "stacking" factions:

#1) Petty crime faction = theft or trespassing against any tracked faction up to rank 4, after which you're assigned to rank 1 of:

#2) Minor crime faction = assault against any tracked faction up to rank 4, after which you're assigned to rank 1 of:

#3) Major crime faction = murder against any tracked faction up to rank 4, after which you're assigned to rank 1 of:

#4) Capitol crime faction = multiple combinations and excessive ranks in #3 & #4

This is just the basic system I want to use. But if the mechanics of a vanilla system are present in the game's files, and it's just a checkbox switch to utilize them, it would save a ton of time. Somehow, I doubt it will be that simple. If Bethesda were actually that close to implementing a full crime and punishment system, I don't believe they would have scrapped it. But still, it may be easier to finish what they started, than to implement a system I haven't even started building yet.

I guess I'll get to researching and testing  ;)

Trykz

It is unknown why Bethesda did not implement their system. It may be bugged in ways not yet discovered.

By creating your own system, you will know exactly how it works and will be able to teak it to your liking. Also you may be able to make it player configurable to suit different types of play styles. If it's well documented, then other modders could more easily build upon your work in the future. I could see modders adding compatibility mods for Devious Devices and Torture Devices.

Going with your own system may take more time up front but may may things faster/easier in the long run.

It is unknown why Bethesda did not implement their system. It may be bugged in ways not yet discovered.

By creating your own system, you will know exactly how it works and will be able to teak it to your liking. Also you may be able to make it player configurable to suit different types of play styles. If it's well documented, then other modders could more easily build upon your work in the future. I could see modders adding compatibility mods for Devious Devices and Torture Devices.

Going with your own system may take more time up front but may may things faster/easier in the long run.

An interesting perspective.

And one I can't find fault or reason to disagree with. Building the system I want will take significant time, sure. But in the end it's as you say, known better to me than anything else I use. That, and I like the idea of stacking faction crimes in various configurations to better refine appropriate punishment.

Did you know that the Pip-Boy records everything your character does? Quests completed, caps acquired and spent, workshops claimed and everything about your settlements. Locations discovered, items collected, etc.. And yes, it even tracks your criminal activity. Items stolen, enemies (and citizens) either murdered or killed under other circumstances. Pretty much everything you do in the game goes into that thing on your wrist.

And I want to use it to imprison you  :ph34r:

LOL

Trykz

I really do hope you can expand upon the vanilla prison scenarios first. The one thing I seriously HATE about Fallout4 crime is that if  you accidentally steal or shoot something/someone the guards come down on you with everything as if you attacked the president or something. Even after trying to yield they just keep attacking and you're forced to just die or run away and come back after a few days until everything has calmed down. ESPECIALLY, in survival mode where saving is scarce, it just becomes a pain in the ass. Not to mention Latimer's men are always attacking me in Diamond city because I killed his dipshit arrogant prick of a bastard son so his triggermen always attack me in Diamond city while the guards watch, and sometimes a stray bullet hits one of the idiots in the way and the whole city rains death upon me..
​Sorry for the rant lol.

​TL;DR It'd be nice to have a vanilla prison system implemented in the major cities where the cells already exist so that if you commit a crime, you can yield and be sentenced to some hard time for a set period of time depending upon the crime/bounty, or pay the fine off. Looking forward to the progress of this mod :)

• 4 weeks later...

Lit up brighter than Times Square at Christmas.

Just as a prison barge should be  ;)

attachicon.gif20170616230628_1.jpgattachicon.gif20170616230832_1.jpgattachicon.gif20170616230929_1.jpg

attachicon.gif20170616231013_1.jpgattachicon.gif20170616231208_1.jpg

Yep.....

attachicon.gif20170616231058_1.jpg

It's bigger than Spectacle Island  :D

I have about a days worth of exterior work to finish

up, and then I think I'll get started on the Cell Block.

Depending on how smoothly that goes, I may bump up

the cell block count to two of 100 cells each.

Just like the exterior, the interior areas will all be 

hand-crafted from scratch.

NPCs will come soon after. As well as guards for the exterior, set up

with full patrol packages, their own faction, and strict orders to shoot

would-be escapists on sight  :ph34r:

The view from up top is incredible. You can see The Castle, the

FMS Northern Star, Spectacle Island, and a fair bit

of South Boston.

I'll get some close-up screens of the exterior areas once

I get it finished with all the little details I want to add.

Finally, if there are any gifted quest writers following this,

I'd DEFINITELY like to speak with you. I have a few ideas

that would make great use of your special talents.

Feel free to PM me anytime.

Trykz

Didn't Sly Stallone try to escape a boat like that in a movie?  XD

As for criminals..why stop at humans?  I'd add synths and mutants in that boat...just a suggestion.  Heck, any NPC that'll work under the Four Play system. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Okay.... where the HELL was I with this thing......

oh. Right. The crime system. Starting sometime mid-this coming week, I'll be getting back to this. So heads up.....

?

Trykz

7 hours ago, Trykz said:

oh. Right. The crime system. Starting sometime mid-this coming week, I'll be getting back to this. So heads up.....

?

Trykz

OT: Yer signature icon isn't showing up on my end, FYI.........

?

1 hour ago, Nuggholio said:

oh shit, this looks awesome. 

do you reckon this will be out this year?

It depends on what's entailed to build a crime and punishment system from scratch. My Crapyrus skilz ain't dat gud ?

So yeah.... it's probably gonna take a while LOL

Trykz

On 8/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, Trykz said:

?

Trykz

just wanted to voice my support for the continuation of this.  This is a great concept not even just as an adult mod but even just adding a crime system to FO4.  There are functional jails in good neighbor, DC, and covenant yet the player sees very little justice system in the commonwealth baring one quest.  Good luck man hope you can make something cool.

20 hours ago, assboi9000 said:

just wanted to voice my support for the continuation of this.  This is a great concept not even just as an adult mod but even just adding a crime system to FO4.  There are functional jails in good neighbor, DC, and covenant yet the player sees very little justice system in the commonwealth baring one quest.  Good luck man hope you can make something cool.

Which quest are you talking about? I'd like to see the mechanics of it.

Trykz

1 hour ago, Trykz said:

Trykz

I was referring to the big dig series of quests with bobby.  One of the characters get thrown in DC jail for hacking the protectron to get free drinks IIRC.  I dont know that there would be much to observe regarding it has it runs just like any other quest but I thinks it is interesting in that it references a form of justice system that is otherwise unseen in the game.

1 hour ago, Trykz said:

Trykz

They're referencing The Big Dig, in which you:
• Can slip Mel a key to his jail cell (to help him escape)
or
• Shoot the guards

or
• Manipulate guards into releasing Mel

This part of the quest takes place in Diamond City, more info here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Big_Dig

On 8/7/2018 at 9:52 PM, assboi9000 said:

I was referring to the big dig series of quests with bobby.  One of the characters get thrown in DC jail for hacking the protectron to get free drinks IIRC.  I dont know that there would be much to observe regarding it has it runs just like any other quest but I thinks it is interesting in that it references a form of justice system that is otherwise unseen in the game.

So I had a look at this. And yeah, it's just like any other quest. The justice system reference is just nonsensical fluff, since no actual system exists. So I'm back to the drawing board, looking for bits and pieces of what Bethesda never finished or implemented throughout the CK, and in the game itself. The most interesting thing being the cell in Goodneighbor. It HAD to have had a "planned" purpose. Both Goodneighbor and Diamond City share one thing in common:

They're both socially structured under conventional norms. An organized, structural hierarchy. Officials (the Mayors), underlings (guards), and citizens.

But yet, it's just "two" areas of the game. Unlike Skyrim, where there were a multitude of areas, and the actual justice system had a much broader implementation.

That said, I'm going to take a look at Skyrim's quests to see if some (or even all) of it can be transposed onto Fallout 4. Fallout 4 already has various crime factions in place. So it would seem I may need to build a quest similar to Skyrim's, and then have that quest manipulate those factions as Skyrim's quest does. Essentially duplicating Skyrim's crime and punishment system. Except, instead of being thrown into a "local" jail, you're sent to the prison barge.

Again, I just want to reiterate that my Crapyrus skills aren't all that great. So this WILL take a significant amount of time.

Trykz

1 hour ago, Trykz said:

So I had a look at this. And yeah, it's just like any other quest. The justice system reference is just nonsensical fluff, since no actual system exists. So I'm back to the drawing board, looking for bits and pieces of what Bethesda never finished or implemented throughout the CK, and in the game itself. The most interesting thing being the cell in Goodneighbor. It HAD to have had a "planned" purpose. Both Goodneighbor and Diamond City share one thing in common:

They're both socially structured under conventional norms. An organized, structural hierarchy. Officials (the Mayors), underlings (guards), and citizens.

But yet, it's just "two" areas of the game. Unlike Skyrim, where there were a multitude of areas, and the actual justice system had a much broader implementation.

That said, I'm going to take a look at Skyrim's quests to see if some (or even all) of it can be transposed onto Fallout 4. Fallout 4 already has various crime factions in place. So it would seem I may need to build a quest similar to Skyrim's, and then have that quest manipulate those factions as Skyrim's quest does. Essentially duplicating Skyrim's crime and punishment system. Except, instead of being thrown into a "local" jail, you're sent to the prison barge.

Again, I just want to reiterate that my Crapyrus skills aren't all that great. So this WILL take a significant amount of time.

Trykz

The jails already exist, I just visited one in the game yesterday when I was going to free Nick.......

?

Archived