[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

10 hours ago, Gubgrub said:

S.H. was Sanguine Hive sorry for not explaining that in my previous post. I did not install it over the previous mod. I did a clean install of the mod and then a clean install of the game and mod when I saw the same thing happen with the update.

When I did modify the files I made sure I didn't change too much so as not to potentially destabilize anything. For example if I wanted to make this mod the "Makai Dynasty" mod instead of the "Kagami Species" mod I removed all traces of the other empires from the prescripted countries file and deleted the other file. Renamed a few liines in the other files in the mod so instead of "KAG, kagami, KAGAMI," etc it was "MAK, makai, MAKAI," etc. I changed a few lines regarding the portraits too so it would display the appropriate one for each empire. So essentially it was your mod minus all the other empires you included except the one I wanted. It worked perfectly for the first three empires and when I applied it to the Sanguine Hive it didn't. That's when I noticed the problem with the Sanguine Hive and Academy of Earth not displaying for me in game in my modified version of your mod or a clean one untouched by me.

Like you said this might only be affecting me. If so does this game have some sort of log file that I can upload that might help you pinpoint it?

Oooooh, okay, now I understand you.

You're annoyed at how many premade empires there are. Which is fine, there are probably too many (it's the reason why I broke it into two files, which you can delete, but then you'd still have a lot of them). I might honestly need to get rid of some of them in the future.

But if you're modifying the actual code of the mod--then I can't help you. Literally. First it's not supported, but to be honest, I was only able to make those changes after weeks of trying (they broke almost every time). You may be better at this sort of coding than I am. But if I had to guess, I would say that there is something wrong in the actual entry "kagamiciv4" (the Sanguine Hive) after you made the changes. All the pre-made empires share the Kagami namelist ("KAG") and the Kagami portraits ("kagami"), as well as the Well-Endowed Trait. At least for thing, changing one completely unrelated thing in Stellaris seems to regularly break other things. 

Also I don't know anything about log files. So the unmodified mod works fine, it just has a troublesome amount of pre-made empires? 

13 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Oooooh, okay, now I understand you.

You're annoyed at how many premade empires there are. Which is fine, there are probably too many (it's the reason why I broke it into two files, which you can delete, but then you'd still have a lot of them). I might honestly need to get rid of some of them in the future.

But if you're modifying the actual code of the mod--then I can't help you. Literally. First it's not supported, but to be honest, I was only able to make those changes after weeks of trying (they broke almost every time). You may be better at this sort of coding than I am. But if I had to guess, I would say that there is something wrong in the actual entry "kagamiciv4" (the Sanguine Hive) after you made the changes. All the pre-made empires share the Kagami namelist ("KAG") and the Kagami portraits ("kagami"), as well as the Well-Endowed Trait. At least for thing, changing one completely unrelated thing in Stellaris seems to regularly break other things. 

Also I don't know anything about log files. So the unmodified mod works fine, it just has a troublesome amount of pre-made empires? 

Sorry I didn't mean to imply I was annoyed at how many premade empires there were. I just split it apart just to see if I could.

No the unmodified mod doesn't fully work for me. Everything but those two empires I mentioned do though. I understand that modifying your code could mess it up but as I mentioned I did a clean install of the game and a clean version of your mod. Even then neither the Sanguine Hive or Academy of Earth appear in game for me. If I figure it out I'll post what I did or perhaps it might fix itself in a future update. Sorry for taking up space on this topic for a problem that appears to be affecting no one else. I hope you're not taking me posting here the wrong way. I like your mod I just wish I knew why I can't get the full thing working even one I haven't touched. Maybe I need dlc?

13 hours ago, Gubgrub said:

Sorry I didn't mean to imply I was annoyed at how many premade empires there were. I just split it apart just to see if I could.

No the unmodified mod doesn't fully work for me. Everything but those two empires I mentioned do though. I understand that modifying your code could mess it up but as I mentioned I did a clean install of the game and a clean version of your mod. Even then neither the Sanguine Hive or Academy of Earth appear in game for me. If I figure it out I'll post what I did or perhaps it might fix itself in a future update. Sorry for taking up space on this topic for a problem that appears to be affecting no one else. I hope you're not taking me posting here the wrong way. I like your mod I just wish I knew why I can't get the full thing working even one I haven't touched. Maybe I need dlc?

Well, the Sanguine Hive is a collective consciousness empire, so it's needs Stellaris Utopia

So you don't have all the DLC? That is very likely culprit--if a single thing is broken in a pre-made empire, it almost never shows up--that's just the games way of fixing the issue. But to the best of my knowledge Utopia is the only paid DLC you should need, since its the only one I bought. Do you not own Utopia

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bother you about this. I'm relatively new to stellaris and even newer to modding it. I'm a long time fan of Lilith and their works though. I was hoping there was something like this mod somewher, and fair enough here it is!

I'm currently using version 1.9.1 of the base game without DLC. And i'm running into a issue where all portraits are slightly misaligned to the left. Am i the only one having this issue, or is this because of version mismatches? (Mod says it supports version 1.8.3)

On 1/18/2018 at 4:15 PM, hoxi said:

Sorry to bother you about this. I'm relatively new to stellaris and even newer to modding it. I'm a long time fan of Lilith and their works though. I was hoping there was something like this mod somewher, and fair enough here it is!

I'm currently using version 1.9.1 of the base game without DLC. And i'm running into a issue where all portraits are slightly misaligned to the left. Am i the only one having this issue, or is this because of version mismatches? (Mod says it supports version 1.8.3)

Hey there--no trouble, I'm relatively new to modding.

I don't think it's the version itself, but I can't rule that out--and portrait positioning has long been an issue, as the rest of the thread suggests. Could you post an image clearly pointing out the issue? I'm overdue to release an update, I just really haven't added anything notable in the way of content (just trying to fix bugs). 

18 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Hey there--no trouble, I'm relatively new to modding.

I don't think it's the version itself, but I can't rule that out--and portrait positioning has long been an issue, as the rest of the thread suggests. Could you post an image clearly pointing out the issue? I'm overdue to release an update, I just really haven't added anything notable in the way of content (just trying to fix bugs).

Hi. As i can see, hoxi don't posted the screenshot of his problem. Unfortunately, I have the same thing. And, I decided to give you the screenshot of this bug. As far as I know, not all of the portraits are bugged, only the biggest part of them. 

bug2.png

bug.png

bug1.png

Oh, no, that's definitely broken. I went ahead and started the game myself--the mod is outdated, but I don't have those issues. Unfortunately, memeLord, I think you have the dreaded "tiny portrait" bug. What GPU does your PC have?

A few portraits are misaligned, and need to be adjusted, but they're still the right size, and they're not broken like that. 

13 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Oh, no, that's definitely broken. I went ahead and started the game myself--the mod is outdated, but I don't have those issues. Unfortunately, memeLord, I think you have the dreaded "tiny portrait" bug. What GPU does your PC have?

A few portraits are misaligned, and need to be adjusted, but they're still the right size, and they're not broken like that. 

As far as I understand, you asking me about my video card. So, I have GTX 1060 6GB video card and I think that it's not related to this bug compeletely.

10 hours ago, TrueMemeLord said:

As far as I understand, you asking me about my video card. So, I have GTX 1060 6GB video card and I think that it's not related to this bug compeletely.

I asked because the last time we encountered the specific bug (where the majority of portraits are way too small--but the older ones that are less than 200 kb in size show up normally), the person had a low-end GPU. But a GTX 1060 should be more than adequate for the job. I honestly don't know what causes it, because I can't replicate the issue on my system (unlike portraits being too far to the left or right), and I've followed very basic instructions encoding the DDS files for portraits (the directions are not very specific on this--it was basically "Keep trying until they show up in game").

Some basic stuff--have you tried reinstalling the mod complete, deleting the 'kagami' folder included, and reinstalling it? 

12 hours ago, Synthesis said:

I asked because the last time we encountered the specific bug (where the majority of portraits are way too small--but the older ones that are less than 200 kb in size show up normally), the person had a low-end GPU. But a GTX 1060 should be more than adequate for the job. I honestly don't know what causes it, because I can't replicate the issue on my system (unlike portraits being too far to the left or right), and I've followed very basic instructions encoding the DDS files for portraits (the directions are not very specific on this--it was basically "Keep trying until they show up in game").

Some basic stuff--have you tried reinstalling the mod complete, deleting the 'kagami' folder included, and reinstalling it? 

Yep, I tried. By the way, I reinstalled your mod just for making these screenshots.

4 hours ago, TrueMemeLord said:

Yep, I tried. By the way, I reinstalled your mod just for making these screenshots.

Ooh boy. Well, I really don't know what could be causing it. What resolution are playing the game at, and have you tried changing it? I play at 2160p, with 1.5x UI Scaling. 

It's incredibly difficult to try and fix a bug when I can't correct it on my end--I think, if I could just someone reduce the size of the DDS portraits a bit, maybe that would somehow help (though I'd never know why one or two people run into this issue, and no one else does)--but I barely know how to reduce the size of a single DDS file, much less hundreds of them. :confounded:

16 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Ooh boy. Well, I really don't know what could be causing it. What resolution are playing the game at, and have you tried changing it? I play at 2160p, with 1.5x UI Scaling. 

It's incredibly difficult to try and fix a bug when I can't correct it on my end--I think, if I could just someone reduce the size of the DDS portraits a bit, maybe that would somehow help (though I'd never know why one or two people run into this issue, and no one else does)--but I barely know how to reduce the size of a single DDS file, much less hundreds of them. :confounded:

1920x1080 1x UI Scaling

• 2 weeks later...

Not pc issue. Other mods run fine.

Possibly something in this mod. 90% pictures have this problem.

on leader selection only phenotype/portrait 7, 45, 73 is fine.

Tried various versions of both game and mod.

inside 00_portraits_positioning.txt there is a section ### Settings for character portrait with a scaling options though have not had any success playing with the options. Takes a long time to load up the game to test each attempt.

character = {
    size = { x = 475 y = 380 }

entity = {
        orientation = center_down
        position = { x = 50 y = -20 }
        scale = 24 (even setting to like 2 dont make difference)
    }

noting other mods I have dont have this portraits_positioning file at all, as if not needed.

mm, actually. Now that you mention it. Running the game on max graphics has all the portraits large.

This is weird.

Why would lesser settings cause that, does the game make thumbnails of portraits then? (edit: and not do the same with other mods where no issues are encountered?)

The fact that it doesn't affect the lower quality portraits (which I have gradually replaced with higher quality, larger ones) suggests that it has something to do with how the game handles DDS files. Except I've never found any information on that subject, sorry. 

Those lines of portrait positioning data are interesting. I'll experiment with removing them on my end and see if anything happens. I've added a few new portraits (and moved a few that were off center), and changed it to be "compatible" with the current version--I may do a small update with that, and not much else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update (to remove incompatibility message with 1.9.1), and a few portraits added. No real fixes, unfortunately, though I expected the release of Apocalypse is going to break everything anyway. Also I included a note in the readme concerning graphics quality settings--anyone who runs into the 'small portraits' bug, check under graphics quality and change it from low to medium or high, if possible, that seems to solve the issue (I was finally able to replicate it on my end, and it would explain why the problem is most common with people with lower-end setups). 

If anyone out there finds off-center portraits (that are the correct size, and not glitched to be small), please let me know and I'll be sure to correct them for the next release. 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:49 PM, Lord Thane the Stronk said:

this is a great mod thanks for the update

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I am too much of a cheap skate to cough up the $20 for Apocalypse, but I will endeavor to make sure the mod is fully compatible with 2.0 (unlike Utopia, I don't think there is anything that wouldn't work except for the FTL method of the pre-made civilizations). Lots of mods are broken now anyway, so I have some time (and will probably add a few portraits). 

Yep, the latest version of the mod is working fine as of now for 2.0 I think, don't know if there is a separate name list needed for Colossi and Titan ships?

Edit: Though I think the code for Gender Policy still doesn't work. I had an all female leadership instated and the next 10-year leader refresh still had men in them.

Hey thanks for mod and all your work on it man! But, I am having a little bit of trouble. For some reason this mod, (and the Animaris mod on steam) are really small on my desktop monitor. On my laptop both work completely fine but on my desktop they take up a fourth of the area they're supposed to. The Sexy Xenos Species pack is actually the correct size. Help please.

8 hours ago, K Angelus said:

Hey thanks for mod and all your work on it man! But, I am having a little bit of trouble. For some reason this mod, (and the Animaris mod on steam) are really small on my desktop monitor. On my laptop both work completely fine but on my desktop they take up a fourth of the area they're supposed to. The Sexy Xenos Species pack is actually the correct size. Help please.

What do you mean by "really small"? 

If you mean that some (or almost all) of the character portraits are too small, but obviously the rest of the UI looks correct, it's probably a DDS rendering bug--fortunately, there seems to be a fix known to this, you need to change your level of detail from low to 'medium' or 'high'.