[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

I am able to go up to step 4, but I am at a loss at how to switch a .zip to a .sav again.

Yep I am kind of scratching my head for the name for Cordelia's Empire, the best I could come up with so far is the "Solar Kingdom of Cordelia", but I think there is a better name out there. Problem as a Democratic Authority replacement, it makes her not a very permanent fixture like a monarch should. I wish Constitutional Monarchy was its own authority as I kind of worried as a civic the monarch won't be represented unless its an Imperial authority. I understand not wanting to make too many pre-scripted empires, I figured the 5 were there for each authority. But all the same I would like to see others empires that are also plausible like Cordelia's.

I agree with costumes, someone remarked that the Taimanin universe has a very casually sexualized nature with Ingrid in her secretary outfit the perfect example with her areolae peaking out and still consider dressed as a professional. If you weren't familiar of them, you probably wouldn't of considered most them "Rulers" by a decent stretch, especially if they lacked a cape of some sort. Only glanced over some BISHOP games, but most of their costumes could be passed off as a Ruler's attire. The futuristic aspect of the LILITH universe does make it much easier to create empires though.

I am able to go up to step 4, but I am at a loss at how to switch a .zip to a .sav again.

Oh, that's odd--how do you do it in the first place? It should just be the reverse. 

There are probably a few ways, but the way I'd recommend is to show file extensions in Windows, manually change SAV to ZIP, and then do it again. I suppose I really ought to make it clearer in the instructions, they're not "simple" if everyone else is having trouble doing them. :( 

On the subject of costumes, yeah, the imbalance between Lilith titles and BISHOP's own is almost hilarious. It boils down to most Lilith games, and definitely Taimanin Asagi and its spin-offs, basically being adult adventure games without item collection, and BISHOP eroge being darker, erotic dating sims that might have item collection. And while a few of them do have neat little animation sequences, Lilith games don't even have the "posing/dress-up" mode that all BISHOP games have (some TinkerBell games like the Shukubo no Uzuki series have them too)--because not all costumes that Asagi or another character wears actually appear as usable 2D sprite portrait artwork (it might only appear in a scene which would be useless without a solid colored background). By contrast, every costume any BISHOP heroine wears WILL be in a usable sprite, even if you have to extract it yourself. The end result is that any BISHOP female lead might have more costumes than Asagi across three games. 

Of course it's not perfect. Kaede Kiryuu is one of my favorite BISHOP heroines (and not just because of the hilarious Gundam 00 parody artwork featuring her), but she really has no outfit that's suitable for a ruler (so I just put her in her uniform). Also she wears is school clothes and different lingerie, not even normal attire. And that makes sense in the context of the story, but is kind of a bummer here. 

post-39632-0-86857200-1503509831_thumb.jpg

Didn't know you could turn on and off file name extensions, .sav extension are already displayed without it, probably because its a nonstandard one so I didn't think of that. Anyways after slapping on .sav on an old save and trying out it works correctly!

Are you planning to do a custom "Kagami" name list as well? Are you just sticking to default Human ones?

I had honestly forgotten you cam change file extensions in the properties--and I know exactly what happened: *.SAV files are not a recognized file type, but *.ZIP obviously are, so if you rename something *.SAV, it just adds it to the name rather than the file type. That's been a normal feature in Windows for at least a decade. Anyway, that ought to do the trick!

Name list wise, no, I just use Human name list 3 because it sounds the most like names you find in Lilith VN. Aside from the fact that I'm not completely sure how to do it, the name list would probably be too short. I would like to add more Japanese names from the games (and the odd English-language action cliche names they have like 'Black' maybe), since those are probably missing, but I'm not completely sure how to do it. It would not be an original name list though. 

Its actually very simple.

In the common folder there is the namelist folder. You can either copy the human one and subtitle it KAG or just add to the human one, if you subtitle it KAG you have to put in the localization that KAG:0 "Kagami". Then from there you can add female or male specific names, regal first and last names, you can have a bunch of name catagories with different weights so that you can have different groups of names have a more likely hood of spawning. And if you put a name in quotation, you can have a long ass title as a first name. For a personal mod, for example, I have "Soul of" so that Soul of Burgundy is a valid name choice.

Its very simple, its a single text file edit.

If thats true, then the best thing to do I guess is copy name list Human 3 to a new list called Kagami and then just add Lilith/Bishop and/or other sterotypical anime names and just weigh them higher then normal so that there will still be "Normal" names as filler along side Kagami names. I wouldn't want a completely scratch name list as that would likely be far too short for variety.

Its actually very simple.

In the common folder there is the namelist folder. You can either copy the human one and subtitle it KAG or just add to the human one, if you subtitle it KAG you have to put in the localization that KAG:0 "Kagami". Then from there you can add female or male specific names, regal first and last names, you can have a bunch of name catagories with different weights so that you can have different groups of names have a more likely hood of spawning. And if you put a name in quotation, you can have a long ass title as a first name. For a personal mod, for example, I have "Soul of" so that Soul of Burgundy is a valid name choice.

Its very simple, its a single text file edit.

Well, in that case I can give it a try. Of course, it's not the name file I'm worried about--it's making the mod and game detect them (see all my previous mods about how stupidly unintuitive Paradox games are for some aspects of modding), I have done it before, hopefully it hasn't changed ad I'll include it in the next release. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you intended this but, I guess the game considers Kagami's to be naked, as this insult mentions. Granted I guess for more then a few of them they might as well be proudly bearing their form, but I guess technically they should be considered clothed.

I believe that something left over from ReMeDy's original design, as I've seen it before (or at least I think they are) but I have no idea what controls the code (I've set different, more generic insults--assuming the game still uses those lines of code). Or maybe it has to do with the custom traits, but there's nothing in there that would clearly identify a species as non-clothing-using....

I really like this mod. Do you plan on adding events?

I'm glad you do--but no, not unless someone offers to set up all the framework. I have some perhaps funny ideas in mind (probably not as lurid as you'd think), but I can never get those to work properly.  All I can do is write the flavor text and offer the rewards/penalties, which is about 5% of the work.

To give you an idea: I've been busy the last two weeks, but do intend to sit down and add some custom names. I just need to...well, figure it out. Names are way, way more simple than events. Happy to hear it is working for you though. 

Not sure if you intended this but, I guess the game considers Kagami's to be naked, as this insult mentions. Granted I guess for more then a few of them they might as well be proudly bearing their form, but I guess technically they should be considered clothed.

I believe that something left over from ReMeDy's original design, as I've seen it before (or at least I think they are) but I have no idea what controls the code (I've set different, more generic insults--assuming the game still uses those lines of code). Or maybe it has to do with the custom traits, but there's nothing in there that would clearly identify a species as non-clothing-using....

Playing around with ruler design, I think It has something to do with clothes value.

design={

gender=female

name="Maya Cordelia"

portrait="maya"

texture=0

hair=0

clothes=0

Maybe give an extra value to clothes will have the game acknowledge they wear clothes? Species with clothing have more then just one value to them, while non-humanoid species without clothes leave that value at 0 like Kagami currently do. Sorry I can't be much more help then that, but I get the feeling that's probably how the game determines if they have clothes or not.

Playing around with ruler design, I think It has something to do with clothes value.

design={

gender=female

name="Maya Cordelia"

portrait="maya"

texture=0

hair=0

clothes=0

Maybe give an extra value to clothes will have the game acknowledge they wear clothes? Species with clothing have more then just one value to them, while non-humanoid species without clothes leave that value at 0 like Kagami currently do. Sorry I can't be much more help then that, but I get the feeling that's probably how the game determines if they have clothes or not.

Actually, I think you may've hit upon it--well done. Like every 2D static portrait art set, this one doesn't have any clothing options (or hair options, etc.). Individual portraits are generally treated as unique phenotypes, as the highest level of categorization. So I'm tempted to say all species graphics that work this way will have the same effect, unless they can somehow fool the game into thinking there are clothes (it is, after all, originally intended for graphic sets without clothes, i.e. certain types of aliens and maybe synthetics). It might be possible to manually edit in a value (even though there are no clothes to select from), but I'm not sure that would fool the game. 

Thanks for pointing this out, I think you're right.

Anyway, so for upcoming Kagami 1.03--as popularly requested I've got a fairly basic custom namelist in the works (honestly, more than the additional leader names, I think the unique unit names will stand out more), that all the pre-made empires will use. I'm also hoping to add something around ~30 new portraits, both new and old characters, mostly from Kessen Arena though that will annoying take a lot of photoshopping out backgrounds potentially. 

Sounds great! Can't wait for it to come out. I am guessing after 1.03 there will probably be only a trickle of new portraits as source material is drying up? What you planning to do after 1.03?

That depends on feedback, really. Things will be trickling, yes, but it becomes a matter of how long a trickle. There are still a few BISHOP games that have not been scoured completely, even if all my favorites have been. Plus, BISHOP still puts out games with more regularity than Lilith (at least I think so). Mizushima☆Oonari is still their go too, and many if not all of his games that aren't collaborations with Kagami are still fair game (even if I don't think I'll be getting many ruler portraits out of them). Those are "very likelies."

What happens next is up to debate. As I go through TA Kessen Arena (Battle Arena), I'm realizing that pretty much everything of Kagami's I've gotten from it is already accounted for (aside from Asmodian-recolors of existing characters like Asagi, Sakura, etc., he didn't add any "new" heroines). So I've moved on to other characters from artists I liked--Kokonoki Nao, for example, is a favorite of mine (try and guess why) and he contributed at least 4 heroines (including one I've already incorporated, Alberta). I'll also be looking at the ones who fit most closely to the existing aesthetic, like the numerous uniformed Taimanin. The "problem" is that some of the art styles do, in fact, clash with Kagami's own (unlike Oonari-imitating-Kagami). 

1.03 will have a sample of the most promising heroines, mostly related or at least interesting looking designs. If people are happy with them, I'll gradually add more outside designs, but if they think they clash too much with the Kagami aesthetic (which I am trying to maintain), I'll stop. Kokonoki Nao might blend pretty well into Kagami (especially with his recent designs with bigger busts, wider hips and rounder eyes and features), but the same can't be said about Aoi Nagisa's new characters (even though he's already did Taimanin Yukikaze). I'll be looking for feedback. 

In the meantime, even though Kessen Arena is a card collection game, and thus, lacks any sort of portraits, I have found some of the new artwork on white backgrounds and it is quite nice--I'm trying to figure out where I'd put Ingrid holding sunflowers in a summer dress, but I want to include it. 

It'd be fun to do scenarios/events too, but I have zero idea how to do those (unlike name lists, which I had some idea how to do, and useful software actually exists for). 

Unfortunately found another bug, one of the Pop portraits is not appearing, had it appear in a habitat and another planet as well. Haven't seen it in early game play so I don't know if it just some late game glitch, checked my original core world pops and they were still fine.

Anyways, good to hear that there are still likely some content to be added still. Hopefully we can have some new admirals and/or scientists!

post-2219692-0-80822200-1505017622_thumb.jpg

post-2219692-0-21029500-1505017689_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately found another bug, one of the Pop portraits is not appearing, had it appear in a habitat and another planet as well. Haven't seen it in early game play so I don't know if it just some late game glitch, checked my original core world pops and they were still fine.

Anyways, good to hear that there are still likely some content to be added still. Hopefully we can have some new admirals and/or scientists!

9 times out of 10 (probably more), it's a mislabeled portrait--Zahkarov instead of Zakharov, that sort of thing. It's fairly easy to test for, I just turn the pop pool into a ruler selection pool and keep clicking through until I find a missing portrait. Thanks for the heads up.

(If it's not that, then we're in trouble, but it probably is.) 

EDIT: I think I found it: coding error between "sayako" and "sayoko" from Hitozuma Ochiru's Sayoko. Easy to fix, that should take care of the matter. 

New version! 357 portraits, including a bunch of new ruler portraits, a custom name list (which should make Japanese names in general more common, befitting Lilith/Bishop VN across the board). I was considering waiting until around 400 portraits, but this will give me a chance to review feedback concerning the variations in art style from the new additions. 

Nice to see it updated! Firing up a finished save file for a quick look, I don't see any invisible pops in a 500+ Kagami pop empire so that's excellent.

I guess it goes with trying to fit more portraits in from a dwindling pool to choose from, but I think the Lieri and Naomi in maid(?) outfits pops look jarring, first because they don't look like they are in a "standing" stance like the other pops and secondly they have their nipples fully exposed. I can only speak for myself in regards to this, but the blatant exposure of the nipples looks out of place to the older portraits being more "tasteful" in that regards. I think 2 of the new Asagi pops also have the same "problem". Again not sure about how others see this, but that's my 2 cents on that.

Have you checked for possible compatibility issues with the patch coming next week? There seems to be quite a bit of changes to modding in regards to species and such.

Nice to see it updated! Firing up a finished save file for a quick look, I don't see any invisible pops in a 500+ Kagami pop empire so that's excellent.

I guess it goes with trying to fit more portraits in from a dwindling pool to choose from, but I think the Lieri and Naomi in maid(?) outfits pops look jarring, first because they don't look like they are in a "standing" stance like the other pops and secondly they have their nipples fully exposed. I can only speak for myself in regards to this, but the blatant exposure of the nipples looks out of place to the older portraits being more "tasteful" in that regards. I think 2 of the new Asagi pops also have the same "problem". Again not sure about how others see this, but that's my 2 cents on that.

Have you checked for possible compatibility issues with the patch coming next week? There seems to be quite a bit of changes to modding in regards to species and such.

Because if there's one thing that's associated with Synthesis's mod, it's good taste! Now let's cut this turd loose!

Haha, just kidding. I ask for creative feedback as well as technical--I'll take that into consideration. Part of it is also white background artwork getting painfully rare, and a desire to exploit it whenever possible (on the other hand, I avoided dropping Asagi and other famous characters into the general population pool either originally). That's a very fair opinion to offer, along with any on preference of artist variety, etc. For the maid graphics of Naomi and Lieri in particular, I was slightly unsatisfied with them myself (I actually want to include legacy artwork of Lieri from the first game for artistic reasons if that makes any sense), but the source artwork was a world better than the alternative. Hmmm....

I should've said something about compatibility too--honestly, I don't think the updated versions will be compatible with old saves (if they are, the changes to portrait assignment data will cause a lot of swapping). As in the past, the safest bet would be to assume they're not compatible.

Haha, I guess it kind of weird to consider "tastefulness" in art work that ultimately came out from eroge, but what can I say?

In terms of compatibility I was thinking about the actual Stellaris patch in relation to the mod. They recently released the patch note for the update/DLC coming next week and there seem to be quite a bit changed to modding, guess most of it probably won't apply, but its there.

One thing in particular I like is that they added Random fleet names to be used finally!

- Random names for fleets in namelists are now used, getting preferentially picked with sequential names being fallback

Well, when I talk about desiring feedback, I'm not just "blowing smoke"--as previously noted, I am worried about what incorporating other artist's work into the mod means down the line, so much so that my next batch will probably feature a major injection of artwork from Kagami's old work, Utility Pole Spirit, particularly Emina (the blue-haired girl whose already a ruler portrait) and Aki (red haired dude, because more male portraits are very needed), including artwork I previously rejected/passed up because of editing requirements, and generally poor image fidelity (rather than image quality--really all of the art is far more simplistic in terms of shading, clothing detail, etc., but a lot of it still looks really nice). Also, a lot of them feature weird, inconvenient postures that there is simply no way to edit around. 

Like I said, what happens next depends on feedback on the non-Kagami/non-Oonari art, when I get it. As for 1.8.0....oh boy, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it (assuming I cross it at all). The name list does feature some random fleets and formations, though I'm not completely sure how they work in the first place (I do plan to keep adding to it too though). 

As a pitiful "behind the scenes" sample, here was the unused portrait I made for Naomi's maid-themed general population portrait (as of 1.03 anyway). It required more editing (mostly on the artbook she's holding), and was substantially lower in quality, but it has a certain charm too. 

post-39632-0-01004800-1505625703_thumb.jpg

I think the fleet name is suppose to be generated whenever a new fleet appears (ie.new ship built, you split an old fleet in half...) It would probably be one of the more prominent part of the name list, considering Stellaris, like any other 4x Space game in existence, the Navy is basically the most important part of your Armed forces and hopefully you got a nice name for your doomstack that you are leading. Though I will say that I don't think there are any easy examples in the Lilith verse for fleet name. Current patch I think they are disabled and you only get sequential numbers (ie. 1st Fleet, 2nd Fleet, 3rd...), but next patch promises they will be activated.

Thinking about potential portraits, not sure if you haven't found them or have already rejected them, but I guess I might as well upload them. The first version might look awkward as a general pop (Its best usage) with its coat. The 2nd version I have multiple, because I realized on closer inspection, someone did a terrible job editing it and not sure which version of it would be easier to edit.

post-2219692-0-89494700-1505630520_thumb.jpg

post-2219692-0-19024400-1505630536_thumb.jpg

post-2219692-0-47451500-1505630544_thumb.png

post-2219692-0-68051800-1505630548_thumb.jpg

I think the fleet name is suppose to be generated whenever a new fleet appears (ie.new ship built, you split an old fleet in half...) It would probably be one of the more prominent part of the name list, considering Stellaris, like any other 4x Space game in existence, the Navy is basically the most important part of your Armed forces and hopefully you got a nice name for your doomstack that you are leading. Though I will say that I don't think there are any easy examples in the Lilith verse for fleet name. Current patch I think they are disabled and you only get sequential numbers (ie. 1st Fleet, 2nd Fleet, 3rd...), but next patch promises they will be activated.

Oh, well, that's a very good question that I can actually answer. My intention was to give military fleets quasi-Japanese names (borrowing from the Expeditionary Fleets and historical formations of the Imperial Japanese Navy), since creating unique naming conventions would require....more than one name list, and I'm not doing that, hahah no. Likewise the same for military army units (which are just flavor text you see when you click on a planet or invasion fleet, as oppose to flavor text you see when you click on a naval formation). So psionic armies are now Taimanin Corps, gene warrior armies are Hell Knight Corps (though...in retrospect maybe those should be flipped? Crap.) and so forth. 

They should be working. Gene Warrior armies have unique names as well as numbered ones, "Knights of Amodean", etc., as do psionic armies, "Sentai 'Kunoichi'", "Sentai 'Spectre'", etc. 

But I don't know for certain if this is working properly. It did when I tested it. Maybe it is? Generic military unit naming is more important than unique names, I believe, because you're going to encounter it a lot more. 

As for those graphics--don't let this deter you from other suggestions, but I have seen all of those. Sakura in the fur coat is pretty much unusable not ust because of the odd angle (I've become forgiving of that), but because there is no way to photoshop out the coat itself (it's all horizontally spread, and cut off at the ends) that wouldn't look terrible. Even Asmodean Sakura had a general outline of her physique I could trim out, that Sakura is basically all coat. I've also seen all six heroines in the Taimanin dakedo Koi ga shitai April fools day joke set (as part of the joke...I think Sakura is supposed to be a very convincing transexual in that "storyline"), including the bad edit of Sakura's graphic (honestly, I could do a better job, and I have). The only good white background I have from that set is Ingrid (for whatever reason), and I actually have the same set with her nude and in her knightly attire, but her hair is...way too spread out, and would clip badly.  I've thought about going into edits for the other five, though varying parts of their clothing are cut off by text. 

Don't let that discourage you from other suggestions though. 

post-39632-0-57444000-1505665669_thumb.jpg