[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

46 minutes ago, Count_Zero said:

Long time lurker decloaking, first too say thank you for the amazing work you guys do, and secondly to report a issue with this mod.

It is actually a compatibility issue with almost all static portrait mods. The kagami mod is repositioning the static species icon. If another portrait mod is using the default placement, only one mod can win. If the kagami mod wins, the other static species is pushed off center to the right, if the other mod wins the kagami species is pushed off center to the left.

May i suggest adding the padding directly to the images, instead of changing the position in the script, to get a better compatibility with other mods? Or at least put a warning of compatibility problems into the readme.

First, you're welcome, and I'm glad someone's still enjoying this mod.

Second, that does sound like a serious issue--do you mind elaborating? I'm an extreme neophyte when it comes to any sort of Stellaris modding. I honestly thought that the mod's static portrait positioning data only applied to its own portrait pack. Unfortunately, adjusting the portrait positions for every portrait isn't just tedious (there are 462 current portraits), it'd break lots of portraits in the pack as well. Is there some way I can modify the positioning data in the configuration files? 

I am also actually quite new to Stellaris modding, but i have seen alot weirder syntax and code at work than that. I think the problem is the file "kagami\gfx\portraits\portraits\00_portraits_positioning.txt"

#2d Portrait position
icon = {
  orientation = center_down
  position = { x = 80 y = 0 }
scale = 1.0
}

Most other portrait mods just copied the original values, which means x = 0. And this seem to be a global parameter.

If you want a test scenario, may differ a little for you, i am not quite sure how Stellaris decides which mod wins and if this may change. For me it looked in four runs quite constant:

Spoiler

Tested it with 3 mods sexyxenos, sexy mod both downloaded from here and another mod from the steam workshop named animaris. With the sexy mod and kagami only activated at least on my machine, kagami wins and the sexy mod portraits are shown wrong. The other two trump kagami. If all 4 are activated only the kagami portraits are shown wrong, but if you edit the above file in the sexyxenos mod, for me it was the winning/possibly last loaded mod, you can see the portraits of all this mods shift.

For editing the images, i think/hope it should not break anything, you would be adding just empty space to the left side of the images. With your offset of 80, i saw some portraits of the other mods getting cut off on the right side, so Stellaris seems to be capable of handling pictures that don't fit. And your images should not loose anything on the right side , because you may add 80 pixel (or what unit is Stellaris using?) of empty space to the image, but setting x = 0 makes the space to present the image also 80 pixels bigger, so nothing gained and nothing lost.

For the tedious part sorry image manipulation is something i have no clue about. But maybe someone else here knows an easy way to bulk add a padding to images?

22 hours ago, Cancer_and_Me said:

Firstly, great mod.  I wanted to make a second version of it for myself with only the female portraits.  How might this be done?  I'm guessing it won't be as simple as deleting the male portraits from the pool right?

Look into the file "gfx\portraits\portraits\07_kagami_portraits.txt". Synthesis has actually written some comments there, that should make it quite clear how you could add or remove portraits.

On 6/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, Cancer_and_Me said:

Firstly, great mod.  I wanted to make a second version of it for myself with only the female portraits.  How might this be done?  I'm guessing it won't be as simple as deleting the male portraits from the pool right?

You're the second person to request this, to my surprise. As noted above, if you delete all the male entries in the first section of 07_kagami_portraits that might do the job. Or it might just leave you with blank portraits whenever a male portrait is drawn. I haven't tested it myself. 

2 hours ago, Synthesis said:

You're the second person to request this, to my surprise. As noted above, if you delete all the male entries in the first section of 07_kagami_portraits that might do the job. Or it might just leave you with blank portraits whenever a male portrait is drawn. I haven't tested it myself. 

yeah there were empty portraits when I had just deleted the path in the notepad file

edit: well, I have deleted every entry and mention of all male portraits from the "07_kagami_portraits" file, but I still get empty portraits in the planets surface POPs

anyone else got some other ideas?

edit2: looks like Ive just missed some, will test it more later

14 hours ago, simseven said:

yeah there were empty portraits when I had just deleted the path in the notepad file

edit: well, I have deleted every entry and mention of all male portraits from the "07_kagami_portraits" file, but I still get empty portraits in the planets surface POPs

anyone else got some other ideas?

edit2: looks like Ive just missed some, will test it more later

Yeah, apparently the "pathways" aren't enough, you need to delete the references too--planetary populations aren't sorted by gender, appropriately enough, they're just randomized...which means you'd have to go and delete every one of them.....

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the mod, this girls looks very juicy:) And not only civiliance, but the pops appearance change after they become slaves, amd it depending on tipe of slaving! Really cool, and maybe its just me, but glad here not much loly showing, at least, i didn't see many.

@Synthesis

Oh come on! Is it real? Hard to believe, because... it's so f awesome! Finally some "hentai" type species I can have in Stellaris. Thank you so much! :)
I have one question though (read whole description - but not whole topic - and here I need to thank you again - for pointing out so many great babes)
: will that portraits issue make problems if I don't play Kagami, just have them as a AI controlled race?

PS
Only thing I can think of to make it better would be removing all those "nasty" guys :P Girls only ;) (ok, futa could go along too haha).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 7:43 PM, BubaJ said:

@Synthesis

Oh come on! Is it real? Hard to believe, because... it's so f awesome! Finally some "hentai" type species I can have in Stellaris. Thank you so much! :)
I have one question though (read whole description - but not whole topic - and here I need to thank you again - for pointing out so many great babes)
: will that portraits issue make problems if I don't play Kagami, just have them as a AI controlled race?

PS
Only thing I can think of to make it better would be removing all those "nasty" guys :P Girls only ;) (ok, futa could go along too haha).

I'm glad you like it! It's been possible (since maybe 2.0?) to make a female-only species, but assuming you care about more than just portraits (the gender of leaders) it's fairly complicated. And sorry, I don't "do" (haha)" futa--come to think of it, not that many in Bishop/Lilith franchises, there's Snake Lady who I've included and...hmm, just her (and demonic clones of Sakura and Murasaki). To each their own. ?

On 12/8/2018 at 9:02 PM, Rattatonga said:

So, I guess this doesn't work with 2.2 anymore...and updating is also out of the picture?

I actualy liked the "chosen" and "kagami" traits quite much, I gave some AI's those trough console to make it harder to fight them xD

Actually, I have thought about updating this for a while now, and now that 2.2 is out....first, I need to be able to get my game running again (so once my own mods update). Then I need to actually buy the expansion (which I will).  After that, I'll have to sit down and figure what I need to change, and then how. I barely understanding how the new planetary interface works, but considering that's where a substantial part of the mod exists....some changes will be needed.

You have plenty of time on figuring out how to play the game again, because paradox broke custom species. Again. For some reason custom species pops have no upkeep, which means that something in the code isn't working right or recognizing right.

I'm glad to hear that this is still updating though, or at least you are considering updating it.

49 minutes ago, Onimonipea said:

You have plenty of time on figuring out how to play the game again, because paradox broke custom species. Again. For some reason custom species pops have no upkeep, which means that something in the code isn't working right or recognizing right.

I'm glad to hear that this is still updating though, or at least you are considering updating it.

Fun Fact is , in the last Dev Clash livestream (twitch) they said "the devclash still plays on the internal build wich already consist of patches that are not in the release build, but hope to deliver a patch soon" ...what I mean is, jeah there gonna be patches but to outright admit "we already fixed some but that didnt made it in the Megacorp release version" ...never saw that coming.

Also Synth, thanks for keeping this mod alive, If a suggestion is allowed , I like all the Kagami pics with chicks in uniform, the ones in the white one as well the dark "caped" version. I also know that the "white uniform" ones are actually only two girls in different variations and angles...yet...could we get more of those as leaders (admirals) ? I kinda changed ur mod so I could get the blonde caped one as admiral and governour , I think the uniform style fits empires and military regimes very well.

7 hours ago, Onimonipea said:

Yeah, in retrospect not had I heard that, I shouldn't be surprised--the exact same thing happened with the last big patch (2.0?). I ended up adapting the mod to get around it, when I should just waited for Paradox to correct their own dumb mistakes.

6 hours ago, Rattatonga said:

Fun Fact is , in the last Dev Clash livestream (twitch) they said "the devclash still plays on the internal build wich already consist of patches that are not in the release build, but hope to deliver a patch soon" ...what I mean is, jeah there gonna be patches but to outright admit "we already fixed some but that didnt made it in the Megacorp release version" ...never saw that coming.

Also Synth, thanks for keeping this mod alive, If a suggestion is allowed , I like all the Kagami pics with chicks in uniform, the ones in the white one as well the dark "caped" version. I also know that the "white uniform" ones are actually only two girls in different variations and angles...yet...could we get more of those as leaders (admirals) ? I kinda changed ur mod so I could get the blonde caped one as admiral and governour , I think the uniform style fits empires and military regimes very well.

I'm generally happy to take requests (within reason)...but which ones do you mean? It sounds like you mean Lieri and Naomi from Prison Battleship....can you look up the portrait names within the mod file itself? 

8 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Yeah, in retrospect not had I heard that, I shouldn't be surprised--the exact same thing happened with the last big patch (2.0?). I ended up adapting the mod to get around it, when I should just waited for Paradox to correct their own dumb mistakes.

I'm generally happy to take requests (within reason)...but which ones do you mean? It sounds like you mean Lieri and Naomi from Prison Battleship....can you look up the portrait names within the mod file itself? 

Totally forgot that I could just look into the file ^^

Lets do an Example: An Empire, Pics ala Alicia, Ingrid, Marika, Cara fit as "special high ranked" like lets say, members of the royale family and as such viable for Admirals and Governors, then comes the ground command staff (generals) ala Beatrice, Waltrud, Kila4 wich give uniform wise a "order and dicipline" feeling, wich also fits governors. Lastly the Flag officers of the fleet Lieri and naomi (self explaining).

Im not saying those should be the only pics in those categories, just that it be nice to add them for more Authoric/Millitant Nations.

Governor : Kilia

Governor/General :Beatrice, Beatrice2, Waltrud, Kila4

Governor/ Admiral: Ingrid, Ingrid3, Marika, Alicia4 (note: "Alicia" is difficult to use as anything else but ruler due to pose but would still fill the criteria) , Cara (also fits as ruler), Cara2

Admiral: Lieri, Lieri 3-4-5-6 , Naomi, Naomi2-3

For me those pics fill the "sexy but still comprehensible" Idea , instead of just having an admiral run around in a Bikini...right? ( your mod is so far the only one who gets the sexy/logical part, most other Species mods just have...well...Tits..)

p.s. Note that I havent yet delved into 2.2..so if some changes were made to "leaders" that I dont know yet, dont burn me xD

I have my own personal, modified version of this mod that works for 2.2

Some changes I made include:

1) More lilith girls images (I prefer more lewd images :P)

2) images based on job. or/and if the pop is enslaved

3) added some images that had their original background for leaders.

Overall, this mod is highly... mod-able.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, Onimonipea said:

I found the solution for these probleme online: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/a4na9j/fyi_custom_species_arent_having_upkeep_applied/

There's a thread up over on the Stellaris modding forums that I thought I'd pass on here since I hadn't seen it yet. Others have verified it with screenshots. Phone texting so I apologize for the formatting. It's already been reported to paradox.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pop-upkeep-custom-species.1134311/

White Warg --

I've been helping a mod developer update their mod to 2.2, but we've hit a brick wall. For some reason Paradox has added an additional check to species class. 

is_organic_species = {

OR = {

is_species_class = HUM

is_species_class = MAM

is_species_class = REP

is_species_class = AVI

is_species_class = ART

is_species_class = MOL

is_species_class = FUN

is_species_class = PLANT } }

is_robotic_species = {

OR = {

is_species_class = ROBOT

is_species_class = MACHINE } }

From the scripted_triggers_jobs file. These lists are used to determine upkeep, all that. Now, due to the issues with adding a new species directly to existing categories...custom species don't get upkeep applied to them. My attempts to fix this-creating a custom script_trigger_jobs file for the mod have failed, as it appears no matter the file name, a hard override is applied to the vanilla file.

Effectively, you'd need to copy this list over to the mod, then add in the custom species category, for things to function.

I just created a modded copy of scripted_triggers_jobs with another line: is_species_class = KAG and it worked ?

On 12/11/2018 at 7:26 AM, Rattatonga said:

Totally forgot that I could just look into the file ^^

Lets do an Example: An Empire, Pics ala Alicia, Ingrid, Marika, Cara fit as "special high ranked" like lets say, members of the royale family and as such viable for Admirals and Governors, then comes the ground command staff (generals) ala Beatrice, Waltrud, Kila4 wich give uniform wise a "order and dicipline" feeling, wich also fits governors. Lastly the Flag officers of the fleet Lieri and naomi (self explaining).

Im not saying those should be the only pics in those categories, just that it be nice to add them for more Authoric/Millitant Nations.

Governor : Kilia

Governor/General :Beatrice, Beatrice2, Waltrud, Kila4

Governor/ Admiral: Ingrid, Ingrid3, Marika, Alicia4 (note: "Alicia" is difficult to use as anything else but ruler due to pose but would still fill the criteria) , Cara (also fits as ruler), Cara2

Admiral: Lieri, Lieri 3-4-5-6 , Naomi, Naomi2-3

For me those pics fill the "sexy but still comprehensible" Idea , instead of just having an admiral run around in a Bikini...right? ( your mod is so far the only one who gets the sexy/logical part, most other Species mods just have...well...Tits..)

p.s. Note that I havent yet delved into 2.2..so if some changes were made to "leaders" that I dont know yet, dont burn me xD

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner--distracted at work and home.

So I have to translate your suggestion into something my extremely incompetent Paradox modding brain can understand, and I think that is: ethics-specific portraits, allowing a larger pool for certain ethics. So, the Kagami species currently is totally unaffected by ethics, but you'd like the option that, say, an empire with the militarist/fanatical militarist ethic could get additional portraits from the general and admiral pools as governors, whereas an empire that has the materialist/fanatical materialist ethic might get additional portraits from, from the scientist pool.

Which is a really cool idea! I like it! But I've never actually figured out how to further "sort" portraits by ethics (I imagine it would involve the creation of further lists?). It basically took hours of effort, and a lot of external help, to figure out how to avoid having just one generic pool for portraits, and how to categorize between different types of slaves. I have no idea how to refine on an empire level, even though I'm almost completely sure it's possible. I'd like to do it, but I'd need someone to show me how to.

Also, I'm pretty sure the game still registers the species as not wearing clothes (which, irony aside, is incorrect; probably 98% of the portraits have some variety of clothing, compared to the nonhuman species--blobs, certain athropods, etc.--who wear none at all), which is something I really would like to fix, if I could figure out how to. 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:55 AM, CaCO3 said:

I found the solution for these probleme online: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/a4na9j/fyi_custom_species_arent_having_upkeep_applied/

I just created a modded copy of scripted_triggers_jobs with another line: is_species_class = KAG and it worked ?

Nice! But I'm convinced Paradox is going to do the same thing as last time, and release an update that adds official support back...which would break this.

Of course, for actual competent modders, whipping up a fix is probably not that much of an effort (and better than waiting for Paradox to drag their feet). Having learned my lesson, I wouldn't actually add it "officially" to the Kagami species myself, since I think that's going to happen, but do whatever you want. 

On 6/19/2018 at 2:16 PM, Count_Zero said:

I am also actually quite new to Stellaris modding, but i have seen alot weirder syntax and code at work than that. I think the problem is the file "kagami\gfx\portraits\portraits\00_portraits_positioning.txt"

#2d Portrait position
icon = {
  orientation = center_down
  position = { x = 80 y = 0 }
scale = 1.0
}

Most other portrait mods just copied the original values, which means x = 0. And this seem to be a global parameter.

If you want a test scenario, may differ a little for you, i am not quite sure how Stellaris decides which mod wins and if this may change. For me it looked in four runs quite constant:

Hide contents

Tested it with 3 mods sexyxenos, sexy mod both downloaded from here and another mod from the steam workshop named animaris. With the sexy mod and kagami only activated at least on my machine, kagami wins and the sexy mod portraits are shown wrong. The other two trump kagami. If all 4 are activated only the kagami portraits are shown wrong, but if you edit the above file in the sexyxenos mod, for me it was the winning/possibly last loaded mod, you can see the portraits of all this mods shift.

For editing the images, i think/hope it should not break anything, you would be adding just empty space to the left side of the images. With your offset of 80, i saw some portraits of the other mods getting cut off on the right side, so Stellaris seems to be capable of handling pictures that don't fit. And your images should not loose anything on the right side , because you may add 80 pixel (or what unit is Stellaris using?) of empty space to the image, but setting x = 0 makes the space to present the image also 80 pixels bigger, so nothing gained and nothing lost.

For the tedious part sorry image manipulation is something i have no clue about. But maybe someone else here knows an easy way to bulk add a padding to images?

@Count_Zero If you're still listening, I'm sorry I didn't previously address that concern--it's a valid one.

Having considered it further: 

1) If the Kagami Species mod's portrait positioning data is affected OTHER mods, that's bad. Especially because Paradox modding sucks compared to Bethesda, and I don't even know if mod priority is a thing (it's probably based on folder number or alphabetical order or some other bullshit), so you couldn't just put my mod at the lowest priority, as you could do even without NMM/Mod Organizer in a Bethesda again. Thanks Paradox.

2) There is no way I will modifying 462 DDS portraits to shift them. That's just not going to happen, to be perfectly blunt. Considering you can't even modify an existing DDS file and still have it properly usable in Stellaris without breaking it (at least in the tools I have available), I really have zero hope for a tool that could somehow manage it, and even if it could, it still sounds extremely time consuming and not worth it. I'm happy to change individual portraits if complaints are brought up (though I'm less enthusiastic when someone else complains and I end up undoing the change, which has happened before). 

It really sounds like there should be a way that this mod's portrait position data only applies to "KAG" species, or even just this mod itself. I don't know what it is, but that sounds logical following Paradox's tendency towards insane troll logic in game design for Stellaris. Maybe someon else has an idea? 

16 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner--distracted at work and home.

So I have to translate your suggestion into something my extremely incompetent Paradox modding brain can understand, and I think that is: ethics-specific portraits, allowing a larger pool for certain ethics. So, the Kagami species currently is totally unaffected by ethics, but you'd like the option that, say, an empire with the militarist/fanatical militarist ethic could get additional portraits from the general and admiral pools as governors, whereas an empire that has the materialist/fanatical materialist ethic might get additional portraits from, from the scientist pool.

Which is a really cool idea! I like it! But I've never actually figured out how to further "sort" portraits by ethics (I imagine it would involve the creation of further lists?). It basically took hours of effort, and a lot of external help, to figure out how to avoid having just one generic pool for portraits, and how to categorize between different types of slaves. I have no idea how to refine on an empire level, even though I'm almost completely sure it's possible. I'd like to do it, but I'd need someone to show me how to.

Also, I'm pretty sure the game still registers the species as not wearing clothes (which, irony aside, is incorrect; probably 98% of the portraits have some variety of clothing, compared to the nonhuman species--blobs, certain athropods, etc.--who wear none at all), which is something I really would like to fix, if I could figure out how to. 

Nice! But I'm convinced Paradox is going to do the same thing as last time, and release an update that adds official support back...which would break this.

Of course, for actual competent modders, whipping up a fix is probably not that much of an effort (and better than waiting for Paradox to drag their feet). Having learned my lesson, I wouldn't actually add it "officially" to the Kagami species myself, since I think that's going to happen, but do whatever you want. 

Well, now that I actually had time to take a closer look at the Stellaris 2.2 build, I also noticed that portraits are complety...new'ish differently handled. Before 2.2 , when one installed certain mods (species) it was common that leaders had different clothing styles, lets take your mod as example here:

Leaders-> Admirals recruit-> recruit window opens with the pool of leaders (admirals) , now wich picture was used for a leader was randomly taken by the game from the pool of pics in the "admiral" category. If you recruited one , the "pools" empty spot was filled up anew with a randomly created leader. So one could dismiss and re-recruit until he finally had a leader with the "clothes/picture" one wanted.

When I made the post above (again, didnt knew about the 2.2 changes) I was speaking about putting some additional Pics in those category's. So when someone doesn't want Naomi's pic as admiral ,but lets say an admiral with Lieri's picture, you could recruit and dismiss until one pops up.

Doing so with admirals , generals and governors one could simply decide himself what the leaders should look by simply using "re-recruiting".  (and yes as this was a random thingy...sometimes very energy expensive)

^^

BUT, as alot has changed with 2.2 ...I'm not sure wherever that is still possible, so by all means, dont get stressed trying to figure out how to do that ethics thing. In the end, making the mod woking with 2.2 as it is should be more important.

• 2 weeks later...