[Fallout 4 VR] Imagine the possibilities...

cray_z_manchild

can't do a search for "vr" so i figured i would make a thread.

With Todd Howard so excited about playing F4 in VR (apparently the entire game is playable right now...) I was wondering what the thoughts are for teh modding potential of this tech.

anyone else have a VR rig?  can you even fathom some of the mods on this site in VR?  has your head exploded yet?

I think its stupid. They should be focusing on ironing out all of the game breaking bugs that had to be patched by modders (with many still present/unreported) and further optimizing the game. I can't even play on all low with my 4790K and 1070 and hit a stable 60 FPS in the city. Dipping as low as 15 FPS. I can guarantee the VR version will be plagued with all these issues and probably new ones that just break the immersion. 

Eh I haven't put much thought into it. I'd have to put so much money in just to get to that point. My rig is about a year

old now but still wouldn't run VR smoothly to a point I could play without getting nauseated. So I'd have to invest in

either a better GPU or crossfire two of the same card I already have. So that is a fast $400. Then a good rig like the HTC

Vive is what, like $500-$600? Then you have to buy the game again, it will be released as its own version like Skyrim

Special Edition but this time PC players don't get it for free. I dunno. With all that going on I don't imagine many people

will be buying it up. And if they patch it differently than the current version even less will be modding for it. So I'm just not

seeing much there outside of potential for eye candy. Don't get me wrong I hope VR succeeds I have since I was a little 

sprat. But its just not feasible at the moment for most people.

Not excited at all.

1. Going to need a beefy rig to handle that VR without compromising quality which costs $$$

2. The VR equipment itself is also more $$$

3. You will need to rebuy the game AGAIN for the VR which is more $$$

4. Modding support will be super minimal. You won't be able to see you character at all as far as I know, making the clothing and armor mods obsolete, animation mods obsolete for the player, body mods obsolete, and heaps other issues. I think people are kinda expecting to be able to have virtual sex. I read on a thread a few months ago on here that people would be excited to have SexOut for FOVR. I mean we barely got it running for the normal game and knows how long that will take for FO4 VR.

5. It's been more than a year and we still don't have a game of the year edition!

Man, Bethesda is doing everything they can to kill the fallout 4 scene huh? The modding aspects for this game could have been so much better if Skyrim SE wasn't released alongside Fallout 4. I would imagine if FO4 VR picks up, FO4 won't see the same success Skyrim saw even after 5 years.

There are too many unknowns about FO4VR for now. 

Are the mods for the flat game going to work in the VR one? If yes - that would be the best situation. The way Four Play is been developed now relies on a script extender only for the striping. That means it would be able to run in FO4VR but another stripping solution will be needed (revealing outfits, "nudist" settlements ... ). 

It is possible however that some of the changes in making the game VR will conflict with some of the ways the flat mods work. It is possible some will not work at all.

FO4VR seems to be a 1st person game. But if the player character model is not cut out of the game completely then there is no problem with the animations. But there are to many things we don't know yet. 

Are we going to see FO4VR specific mods?  This is probably the biggest unknown. Whatever changes the VR version introduces they can be fixed or used for new, better mods

if a person with enough knowledge has an interest in doing that. From what I have seen the general attitude towards VR here on LL like any other general gaming forum is mostly negative. I know of at least one influential mod author that owns a Vive and maybe there are others. All we need is one or two persons who are knowledgeable enough to create patches. 

Also FO4VR will be the first big VR AAA game (on PC) and it is going to attract players who have never played any Fallout games before. I expect people who have never modded a Bethesda game before, but have done some VR experiments will start producing mods. Many people are working on creating different types of VR sex simulators. And FO4VR seems will be the best base for this. Maybe it will take people some time to discover and appreciate everything it offers. 

All this said, I expect for some time playing the flat game in some sort of a "fake VR" mode, like with VorpX, will be a better experience when it comes to modding.

• 7 months later...

Seeing as this was the only Fallout 4 VR specific thread I could find I and the fact that the game is out in just over 24hrs I think it is ok to necro this :)

Anyone else looking forward to the release? I for one can't wait and will be really interested in whether mods can be made to work with it :)

Are there any other modders out there with VR equipment?

I semi mod though it is mostly customizing stuff for my own use, things like level list intergration, crafting and tempering recipes, stuff like that, and I am and intend to continue to do so completely ignoring vr, I could use the headset to replace my monitor, but as I just bought a 4k hd monitor that is not going to happen, and like most people I simply do not have the physical space to use a vr setup, considering vive suggests a 3.5m x 3.5m space, that is about 1/2 my living room space for it, no chance in hell is that every going to happen.

I don't think anyone really knows what it is going to be like, there have been precious few videos showing game play....but I'm still hopeful that it will be a great experience. 

I played it for a bit - it's Fallout 4. Controls are alright, things seem a bit janky but it all works. It's worth it to have another game in VR if nothing else. 

EDIT: 

Oh, and I should add the fact that they included a decent leftie mode is awesome for me. Seriously, so many VR devs don't even bother. Doom VR didn't bother. Theirs is pretty solid. 

I've played about 3 hours. It has issues, like the terrible AA and blurriness, but there are some fixes that seem to help already... The controls are more intuitive than I'd expected, to be honest. For the most part whenever I want to do something the first thing I try works, with a few notable exceptions (like navigating the Pip-Boy). The performance is also better than I'd expected out of Bethesda. So far it's run like a champ on my 970, with a stable 90fps and only very slight hitching immediately after loading a cell. I'm not far in though.

I wasn't expecting much, all I really hoped for was that I'd feel like I was in the Fallout world. And holy shit do I ever! My first step in any playthrough is to scrap everything in Sanctuary. I mean, that's normally tedious, but I've just finished and I really enjoyed myself doing something so menial. It really gave me time to appreciate the change in perspective. The degree of immersion, graphics quality notwithstanding, is pretty much better than I ever dared hope.

Model and texture replacer mods apparently work too, although I'm waiting for manager support before I start modding the game. At the moment I'm most looking forward to adding all the awesome mod weapons and some better CBBE bodies, textures and TheKite's outfits for my followers.

I'm not expecting much out of Four-Play for the time being though. The perspective shift changes the whole design philosophy, so unless we can get poses and animations that are really built more around VR, JoP or IFPV, with a passive player perspective and an actively animated lover, I can't see how that's going to work in anything like an immersive way... Probably quite a bit of patience needed there, which I'm fine with.

We need to put together a list of mods that work.

I am not seeing any blur in my game but I do have SS 1.5.

This is my setup

i7 6700k

16gb DDR4

1080ti 

m2 samsung 950 pro Storage.

As for my thoughts

I just spent my first hour in F4 VR and even though I am using an Oculus Rift and thus the control scheme is a bit wonky, its amazing, I spent almost an hour exploring the vault and up to Sanctuary, you know for the first time I think I could actually live in Sanctuary.

Unless you have tried VR and actually tried this game in VR it is very hard to put it all into words, you all are playing Fallout 4 on a flat screen it doesn't matter if that flat screen is 4kUHD and a super snazzy graphics card, its still you a mouse and keyboard looking through a window, some one once described it as watching a documentary on a game as opposed to living the event.

The immersion level is why I can't play flat games anymore as is proved with Skyrim VR on the ps4 the textures on that game are painfully low rez and the ps4 vr system is not as advanced as a Rift or Vive but people are spending 10-12 hour sessions in skyrm fighting dragon.

Although I will say this Radfuckingroachesbastardsonofabitches! damn things jump at your face and its like get away from me!!! waaaaa! waving around that damn baton like it is a holy cross fending off evil!

Gun play is fun as hell, aiming down the sights , looking at the gun the details, Vats is now like a semi bullet time, the enemies are slowed down and you get to aim precisely but they never stop completely, its like you are Neo from the Matrix for a few seconds.

okay will try to answer any questions but I have to go meet cosworth (never realised how big he is when you stand next to him).

Oh and I am using free movement with all the comfort settings turned off.

So things look better than I expected. The flat saves are compatible, the flat DLCs can be modded-in, almost all flat mods should work. Seems the game assets are left untouched. 

Will try to transfer my pancake setup tonight to see what works and what doesn't. 

Also a high priority - to find out how to mod-out the ridiculous Vive wands shown instead of hands. 

So far I'm really pleased with it. It looks great (after turning TXAA off, setting the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" to application on the Fallout4VR.exe and upping the Super Sampling to 2 in the SteamVR settings.)

Seems to run smooth too (1070, i7 6820HK, 16GB RAM) which is more than I was really expecting.

CBBE and Bodyslide seem to work as well :smile:

Archived