[mod] Dark World - Beyond Heresy

Aliris

This looks like a bug:

The decision to create the Reversionist Hierarchy creates a new character and gives them the title. However this character has the Lilithanist religion, instead of being Reversionist.

Woops. I'll fix that. (I need to see about making a religion head for the Lilithanists too, now that I think of it.)

So I'm going to test that, and maybe write up a compatibility patch for Christianity, in case anyone plays with that as well (see the other thread on that), plus various bug fixes, and post that tonight.

And because I can't seem to help myself from getting distracted with other ideas- SQUIRREL!

Er, ahem.

So now I've scripted up an Orcish invasion, a la the Dark Portal/Warcraft, based roughly on using the Aztec invasion stuff as a template. It will be included likely in the next version, although if having a gigantic horde of Orcs spawning somewhere on the map isn't your cup of tea, it also comes with a rule to let you delay or disable it.

What I really want to see are half breed. If an orc and a human breed together, produce an half-orc. And if the half-orc breed with a human again, then the offspring would either be human or orc. Half breed would receive negative relationship based on their trait, because unholy union yada yada. This kind of mechanic could actually improve dark world a bit, make the elves great and near immortal again! And also have filthy half-elves as slave stock, or something.

I would agree, though presently the Dark World architecture doesn't allow for it, which I think is very unfortunate. It would require replacing a lot of that code, which I'm not really up for.

It's especially bad when certain races don't get a bonus on their lifespan, but still suffer a fertility penalty, like Elves dying normally, rather than living to be much older. I'm tempted to write something that just puts the immortal trait on all elves, since you can still die of disease/violence/etc.

I wonder also if I shouldn't have an event for the discovery of one of the hidden elven refuges, or having some of the elves decide to do a reconquest or such? Maybe not a full scale mega-invasion, but certainly a small one.

You're correct - that's vestigial code from a much older version of something that later got added into DW Core. Dewguru changed the event numbers so they no longer match, but those on_action triggers aren't needed since he has corresponding ones in DW Core.

I'll remove them from DWBH though just so they don't accidentally trigger something in the future.

Thanks!

Alright, uploaded version 0.8a with some various fixes to the Orcish Invasion.

Right now it's just an AI menace that will appear somewhere roughly in the middle of the map (ranging between north and south). They have their own (pagan group) religion, and are highly aggressive. They will also have something of a strong boost to religious authority for the first century, so they can't just be easily converted.

Once I'm sure this is working reasonably well, I plan to add stuff for Orc characters with this, so that you can play as an Orc, and attempt to swear allegiance to the Horde. After that, you can rise in its ranks gaining glory through conquest, and possibly one day even become the Warchief yourself.

Right now, nothing - they treat you the same as everyone else pretty much.

As for the eventual idea, I hadn't really thought of that bit. Probably you'd either become friends/allies at first, but eventually rivals and there'd be some mechanism whereby if you dealt enough defeats to the current warchief, the Horde would join you (and you'd get their lands, troops, and the Warchief title).

It fires in my testing just fine, but somehow the invasion fizzles almost immediately. (If you need to find them, look for the character/family name 'Blackhand' as the Orc Warchief always starts named that.)

It's as if they wind up not at war somehow, and then their troops just sit there doing nothing and attrit away. I'll have to go over it a bit more in-depth, and maybe use a fixed invasion location rather than the random one.

Oh, I'm sorry, I was talking about the heresy event, where we can pursue knowledge of Lilith.

So you can fire it manually in the console window by hitting the ~ key, and typing:

event DWBH.100

(or .120 for Orthodox, .110 for Islamic)

And see if that works.

Right now the requirements are:

1) Be a succubus or incubus

2) Have WoL Theology focus, OR 1000 prestige, OR 1000 piety

You also have to be of the appropriate religion/heresy, so for the Catholic version you need to be either Catholic or a Catholic heresy, for the Orthodox version to be an Orthodox or Orthodox heresy, etc.

Presently there are no versions for anyone but the three of Catholic/Orthodox/Islam, so you won't get anything if you aren't among those three.

It also has a mean time to happen of 4 years, so it can take its time in firing even after you have the prerequisites down.

Yeah I have the requisites and it's been some time. I'll try the console, thanks.

The console should also display the prereqs for the event and whether they were met or not, as a debugging tool (and it fires the event regardless).

Posted up 0.8b with some fixes as the Orc invasion stuff wasn't firing properly before (instead they'd just mill around aimlessly with no war for some reason). It should work better now at least. Right now the invasion is locked to the Nile Delta (Damietta), though I might adjust that later.

I'm also pondering whether to add other fantasy race invasions, or perhaps the reappearance of forgotten kingdoms of Elves or the like that emerge in response to the orcs or such.

• 2 weeks later...

do my character needs to be either incubus or succubus to enable the heresy content? Because, to me, that's kind of a big wall to cross. I've had one succubus in my game, and she died of the flu. Her son spawned several other incubus who, all but one, died from slow fever. Meanwhile, my elf king managed to become high priest of the society of the great deceiver and started spawning lillithanism in England. And he's IRISH! Anyhow, I plan to suck the life off my newborns so I can live forever!

But really, how do we access beyond heresy content?

do my character needs to be either incubus or succubus to enable the heresy content? Because, to me, that's kind of a big wall to cross. I've had one succubus in my game, and she died of the flu. Her son spawned several other incubus who, all but one, died from slow fever. Meanwhile, my elf king managed to become high priest of the society of the great deceiver and started spawning lillithanism in England. And he's IRISH! Anyhow, I plan to suck the life off my newborns so I can live forever!

I have only seen it as a succubus, and you're right they are pretty rare. I started as a succubus which made it easier to see the content, and it does get OP pretty quickly. Pretty fun though!

• 2 weeks later...

So I just spawned the demon child, and he gained the incubus trait. Well done Aliris :)

Another possibility - you can pick up some special-trait characters via slave purchasing, if you take business focus and have the appropriate slave buildings. There's an event that fires randomly that lets you either get money, buy slaves, or take a chance to see what exotic slaves are available. It's random which ones will be there, but succubus is one possibility.

Quick question, i'm playing a Muslim succubus who has found the temple place and is now kadamist, but i'm unable to create the caliph, i meet the prerequisites, I own Mecca and Medina, and i am a succubus. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

I'm not sure about that to be honest. I haven't tried that route in a while, so it's entirely possible that something is buggy with it.

Where is it giving you the issue? Is the decision not appearing, or can you not click it somehow? If you can click it, is it not doing anything?

I have only seen it as a succubus, and you're right they are pretty rare. I started as a succubus which made it easier to see the content, and it does get OP pretty quickly. Pretty fun though!

Thanks - the OPness is sort of why I was poking around with other ideas like an Orcish invasion to provide extra challenges. 

Archived