Spyware windows 10 now worse then ever:

D_ManXX2

It will be turned off by default, easy with the tinfoil  ;)

They will probably set it to "on by default" a few patches down the road. A few patches further, the toggle will be removed and reserved for the Enterprise version only. Something like that will happen. Microsoft has demonstrated quite clearly that getting a firmer (Apple-style) grip on software distribution is what they are planning to do. There is a reason why UWP is tied to the store and more and more newer API functions are moving into UWP to "encourage" developers using it.

I think we will see some company challenge microsoft for business customers in the future it only makes sense to target those customers first and the only way it will be successful is to have an OS and an office competitor available at the same time. Take that business away from microsoft and they only have end users and their server business as the main things they make money from but I think they actually want someone to take end users off their hands they really do seem to be anti end user lately. I don't think they really make money with failbox and almost everything they do seems to end badly. Maybe they want to just do bing and azure and office then say screw it to everything else? Too bad all those copyrights on everything from mouse pointers to text to menu designs keep competitors away from the OS market but there has to be a new game in town eventually right?

One of the drawbacks of the new "Microsoft makes it, you consume it" model. Doesn't matter what you want, your PC will download the update and install it :D

But I don't see the Windows Store option becoming the default soon. Too many desktop applications out there.

At this point, I'd be really happy if Linux gained more traction. I switched in 2015 and it's been pretty smooth sailing outside of games.

It is about time EU actually gave the MS the same bust US did with European companies. maybe that will be the only way to take away the monopoly Microsoft has but forcing an update like they do now i think is against EU regulations. So maybe huge fine will make them think again. The same type of fines US did with Volkswagen. 

See this as EU first.. :P

Sadly Linux isn't really an alternative when it comes to gaming. 

I am not sure that's still true. My Linux gaming library has more than 150 games (that's native ports, not stuff that runs in WINE). I am booting into Windows literally only for Bethesda games and modding them. Skyrim, FO, ESO, Notepad++. There is really nothing else installed.

Honestly, if you don't insist on games from EA and Ubisoft (and why would you?), you will do more than ok with Linux.

Of course there are more and more games running fine on Linux but unfortunately I mainly play Skyrim, Witcher 3 etc so I would have to use Wine.  I'm scared to even imagine how to make ENBs, MO etc work on that.  For common people, using Linux and Wine is already too "complicated".

Linux also has a bad press for beeing a "hax0r" system, people still think it's some kind of Matrix shit with green letters on the screen.

Let's hope Windows will get so shitty/expensive at some point and Linux more user friendly (it's not bad right now, but there's still to be done) that people consider switching to it.  But seeing how it's rooted in businesses, governments and peoples habits, I'm not sure it'll come in the next years.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/cf647ec7-be38-3f90-ac7d-54efc7f97902/microsoft-is-adding-a.html

Microsoft adding a new update to windows 10 preventing users from installing apps not from microsoft store due to out to you this April:  :cool:

Lucky for me i still using windows 7 and Linux.

I thought Google and Apple were doing that already. Making unapproved apps unavailable to non-rooted phones.

The other posts about general evilness (eviltude)....I have mixed feelings.

One day I'll need a computer part.

My windows-7-to-free-windows-8-upgrade-to-free-windows-10-upgrade-frankenstein-monster has no official vendor

and will become an orphan, because the original windows 7 was a cheapo OEM copy on sale that you could only officially get

if you bought computer hardware.

I think the OEM copy was bought as a standalone copy from a store I used to buy hardware from, but still, I cannot point to a screw or a nut and say

"That is the qualifying piece of hardware"

On the other hand, I don't think I could build an apple.

Not even sure google makes a PC, and I couldn't take apart their phone (or, add memory).

So evil is relative.

PS

The rest of this qualifies as a rant, please don't read:

The part where you have to call Microsoft to beg them for a number, confessing (what I just said) and being blessed with a license to operate,

THAT's the evil part,

Yeah but then some pimply kid named Todd works around that, publishes a paper, gets liked a million times and

makes the biggie companies all paranoid...

"You are not worthy" is something I've heard a million times from Microsoft, but eventually some cleric there shows forgiveness or I find the Magic

CD granting me absolution.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/cf647ec7-be38-3f90-ac7d-54efc7f97902/microsoft-is-adding-a.html

Microsoft adding a new update to windows 10 preventing users from installing apps not from microsoft store due to out to you this April:  :cool:

I thought Google and Apple were doing that already. Making unapproved apps unavailable to non-rooted phones.

Apple, yes. They invented that "Let's handcuff the user to our store, grab 30% from all sales done, and decide for them what they can and cannot do with the devices they bought from us" business model - which MS is now trying to copy and transfer to Windows. Apple has demonstrated the world that most customers are sheep that don't mind getting screwed over left and right, if they just get their hands on the coolest newest gadget in return. Really, I can't even blame MS from trying to jump that bandwagon and exploit their users for fun and profit, like Apple does. It's so much more profitable than just selling a OS licence.

Google -does- allow you to add "untrusted" app stores such as Amazon and install from there. If you activate developer functions, you can even manually install them. I am not saying Google is a saint, but in terms of sheer evilness, nothing comes even remotely close to Apple.

My windows-7-to-free-windows-8-upgrade-to-free-windows-10-upgrade-frankenstein-monster has no official vendor

and will become an orphan, because the original windows 7 was a cheapo OEM copy on sale that you could only officially get

I think the OEM copy was bought as a standalone copy from a store I used to buy hardware from, but still, I cannot point to a screw or a nut and say

The qualifying piece of hardware is the motherboard, at least since Windows 8. If it was a legit retail copy, you can even transfer the licence to a completely new PC by linking your Windows copy to a MS account first and then activating the new PC using that MS account.

Apple, yes. They invented that "Let's handcuff the user to our store, grab 30% from all sales done, and decide for them what they can and cannot do with the devices they bought from us" business model - which MS is now trying to copy and transfer to Windows. Apple has demonstrated the world that most customers are sheep that don't mind getting screwed over left and right, if they just get their hands on the coolest newest gadget in return. Really, I can't even blame MS from trying to jump that bandwagon and exploit their users for fun and profit, like Apple does. It's so much more profitable than just selling a OS licence.

Google -does- allow you to add "untrusted" app stores such as Amazon and install from there. If you activate developer functions, you can even manually install them. I am not saying Google is a saint, but in terms of sheer evilness, nothing comes even remotely close to Apple.

The qualifying piece of hardware is the motherboard, at least since Windows 8. If it was a legit retail copy, you can even transfer the licence to a completely new PC by linking your Windows copy to a MS account first and then activating the new PC using that MS account.

Thank you.

I always learn something new here, and I do have a legitimate copy and a microsoft account,

But I did not know about the whole account thing.

I wonder if they'll understand how the original PC will be dead, and I can't go back to raise it from the dead to say

"Being of sound HD and Mobo, I hereby grant all my worldly possesions to (whatever the new mobo will be called)"

yes apple is evil that is why i dont own one. but a user should always have the option to install something on a machine he/she owns. even with evil grab of what apple has it is still not free from virusses. so in all this controll did not make it more safe. Like they make it to be.

For me the biggest problem with Linux gaming is their new audio stack trying to copy window's unified HD audio.  In a native linux game, CS GO, I had no audio 5 feet pass the character even at 130% volume.  Had to start the old school audio stack from command line.  And performance is still an issue with fps dropping down to 48, but I blame the kernel for that, after all, it is written to be server and therefore share resources more equally across all processes.

Archived