CK2 Modding Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane said:

I'm trying to make a Targeted decision to move a courtier from another court to my own.  This would be an unlanded courtier, one that the "move <charid>" would move just fine when used in game.  I want to move that character to MY court.  However, i can't seem to get it to work.  The decision fires, but the event does nothing.

character_event = {
	id = moveyou.2001
	hide_window = yes 
	is_triggered_only = yes
	immediate = { move_character = FROM }
}

I tried this, but it doesn't work...   So then I tried to have the targeted character fire an event back to the player. Which looked like this...

character_event = {
	id = moveyou.2000
	hide_window = yes 
	is_triggered_only = yes
	option = {
		name = "moveyoua"
		from = { character_event = { id = moveyou.2001 } }
		}
	}

character_event = {
	id = moveyou.2001
	hide_window = yes 
	is_triggered_only = yes
	option = {
		name = "moveyoub"
			FROM = { move_character = ROOT }
		}
	}

But that doesn't work either...  

What am I missing, how can i get this to work?

Character event scopes are finicky at best when dealing with targeted decisions. Targeted decisions will always default to the scope of ROOT (the target) and the person who initiated the decision will be FROM. Thus. setting a character_event to fire from FROM (the decision taker) will then make the event will have the target be FROM and the decision taker be ROOT. Similarly, if you set a character_event to fire from the target, then the event will have the target be ROOT and the decision maker be FROMFROM. It's confusing, I know.

Try replacing the FROM in your first event to FROMFROM and see if that works out for you.

1 hour ago, AlexWyrmin said:

Is there any way to mod gender based succession laws to allow shieldmaidens to inherit agnatic and agnatic-cognatic titles as if they were men and always be ahead of other women in the line of succession?

Gender succession is one of those things that infuriates modders to no end. While you can create conditions to set gender succession laws, you cant make new laws or edit the actual succession.

EDIT: The only exception being patrician_heir = yes for things like titles, and only for Patricians.

2 minutes ago, lockeslylcrit said:

Gender succession is one of those things that infuriates modders to no end. While you can create conditions to set gender succession laws, you cant make new laws or edit the actual succession.

So that's why Shieldmaiden Dynasty goes straight to locking the Norse out of any gender succession other than enatic. I thought it was because Dratoran got pestered into it by impatient players.

5 minutes ago, AlexWyrmin said:

So that's why Shieldmaiden Dynasty goes straight to locking the Norse out of any gender succession other than enatic. I thought it was because Dratoran got pestered into it by impatient players.

I tried making my own succession laws. It doesn't work. The only workaround is to ensure that certain religions/cultures/whatever have access only to certain laws.

15 minutes ago, lockeslylcrit said:

I tried making my own succession laws. It doesn't work. The only workaround is to ensure that certain religions/cultures/whatever have access only to certain laws.

Well, at least now I know what parts of Shieldmaiden Dynasty I need to swap out of the mod to have a more gradual transition from warlords to shieldmaidens at the top of Norse society.

8 hours ago, lockeslylcrit said:

EDIT: The only exception being patrician_heir = yes for things like titles, and only for Patricians.

Though that's about to change when Holy Fury comes out, and it will be possible to create customized versions of the elective successions that allow modders to specify who the candidates are, who the electors are, and what they want.

Warning for anyone trying to splice Shieldmaiden Dynasty into CK2Plus: turning the Norse into a matriarchal society from the get go seems to be absolutely needed for the two mods to work together seamlessly. I tried using CK2Plus's succession laws file as it is and it locked me out of nominating anyone, male or female, as King Sigurdr of Svitjod's heir.

There's a silver lining to the problem though. Since CK2Plus creates a schism in the vanilla Germanic religion, which the mod splits into Germanic for the Saxons and Nordic for the Norse, you just need to add Ascent of the Hrafn into the mix to make the shieldmaiden a Norse-only figure, turning the in-universe reason for the schism into valkyries being the Mary Magdalene of the Germanic Faith, as far as controversial figures go.

Edit: take the latter half of this comment as inspiration for modders more talented than I. I've been trying to make the idea work all day and I apparently have no clue how to splice a forced matriarchy in CK2Plus. Without just swapping in Shieldmaiden Dynasty's succession laws file, that is.

Edit: YES! I cracked the code! Now I just to get the gender laws option tabs to look normal again. ?

11 hours ago, Buzhidao said:

Anyone know if secret religious societies have been nerfed or they still are ridiculously overpowered?

They were nerfed a long time ago, but aside from that one I don't think there's been another one. I too have just avoided them since their introduction, so I'm unsure how effective the nerf was. I haven't seen any "The entire Holy Roman Empire secretly converted to slavic paganism" posts on Reddit in a while though, so I'd guess it worked.

After many DLCs, the modifier "sex_appeal_opinion" can stack up to ridiculously high value, which makes immortal female rulers almost invincible. On the other hand, female rulers can easily become immortal in Dark World series mods. The combination of these two makes succubus gameplay very disappointing. So I wonder, is there any way to nerf the "sex_appeal_opinion" modifier, make it not working at some designed situations? Or it is hardcoded?

6 hours ago, SmokeMage said:

After many DLCs, the modifier "sex_appeal_opinion" can stack up to ridiculously high value, which makes immortal female rulers almost invincible. On the other hand, female rulers can easily become immortal in Dark World series mods. The combination of these two makes succubus gameplay very disappointing. So I wonder, is there any way to nerf the "sex_appeal_opinion" modifier, make it not working at some designed situations? Or it is hardcoded?

Opinion modifiers can't be altered glbally. You'd have to mess with the individual traits and modifiers you want to nerf 

2 hours ago, Abominus said:

How do I use "startup_populate" in society-modding, to have starting members with specific traits.

And, bonus-question: how do I set triggers in the starting-population, that the grandmaster of a society must have a specific trait?

The exact same way you use triggers in normal event modding.

Example:

startup_populate = {
	    trigger = {
			ai = yes
	    	controls_religion = no
			age = 16
			is_in_society = no
			is_dumb_trigger = no
			NOT = {
				trait = houseirae_matron_mother
			}
			NOT = { trait = zealous } # A zealous view of religion is the enemy of the arcane knowledge seeker
			OR = {
				NOT = { is_priest = yes }				
				OR = {
					trait = mystic
					trait = scholar
					trait = cynical
				}
			}
			OR = {
				AND = {
					is_landed = yes
					learning = 18
					OR = { 
						trait = scholar
						trait = faqih
						trait = erudite
						trait = genius
						trait = quick
						trait = mystic
						learning = 20
					}
				}
				AND = {
					learning = 14
					OR = {
						trait = scholar
						trait = faqih
						trait = erudite
						trait = genius
						trait = mystic
						trait = quick
						trait = reincarnation
						learning = 18
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}

On 11/17/2018 at 5:56 AM, SmokeMage said:

There's a very easy way you can get around this in your game if you want - just change your succession laws to enatic, because your female subjects will be unaffected by your sex appeal.

3 minutes ago, ImperatorM said:

Any CKII mods that have lactation content? The only one that really was had anything was turtle's addon, but that's mostly dead right now.

Not off the top of my head. Most authors write whatever their kinks are. It's not too difficult to code events in yourself if you're up to the task.

56 minutes ago, Rascalov1337 said:

What is the most safe/clean way to overwrite other mods stuff (traits, events, etc.)?

Adding that mod as a dependency to your own mod. Open up your .mod file and type in

dependencies = {"Dark World Reborn v1.68"}

Replace Dark World Reborn v1.68 with the name of the mod (the name is given in the target mod's .mod file under name = "whatever"

You can then add in replacements as you please in your own mod without ruining the original mod.

17 minutes ago, lockeslylcrit said:

Adding that mod as a dependency to your own mod. Open up your .mod file and type in

dependencies = {"Dark World Reborn v1.68"}

Replace Dark World Reborn v1.68 with the name of the mod (the name is given in the target mod's .mod file under name = "whatever"

You can then add in replacements as you please in your own mod without ruining the original mod.

Thanks.

And one more question: if i want to replace just one specific event, i just need to create my own event with the same id as original, right? No need to copy entire events file, or something like that?

Edit: spotted Buzhidao post, thanks, so, exactly as i thought it works