I have an idea for modders on how to earn money without paid mods or donations.

Rezkin

You are killing me.  Really.  How about you just stop the nonsense.  No, I am not against folks making money via modding.  I'm just trying to point out that it is NOT a viable option for the vast majority of folks as things are today.  Now if steam goes back to paid mods, then that changes things slightly.  However, it isn't the total game changer that you might think.  It still takes way too many hours to make a decent mod that will generate the income to pay for the many hours that it will take you to create said mod.  Not to mention that you can't just create one mod and retire.  You'd have to continue producing to keep folks coming back.  At the end of the day, you're going to realize that the minimum wage job pays more per hour than you can earn via modding per hour.  So why would you want to mod for money with that reality smacking you in the face?????  You won't bottom line.  You'll mod because you like it or want something that no one else is doing.

And don't forget all the other things that modding for a living would need to do, like pay taxes, provisions for making sure folks aren't posting your mods for free everywhere and all those other details of being in business.  Devil in the details and all that..............

just for fun, lets do the math on the biggest mod i have ever made: Horny Dragons of Skyrim

note: numbers are estimated.

42 animation sets  X 4 stages = 168 animations

168 animations X 12 hours to make one (give or take)  = 2016 hours

2016 hours X $11.25 Canadian minimum wage = $22680

$22680 ÷ 360 mod followers = for the work already done, they would each owe me $63 Canadian (or more)

its a good thing i mod for fun eh?

You know the idea of this thread is to suggest few idea's for modders on how to earn few bucks while modding. In no way does it say everyone must do it or have to. Also Yes good you're modding for the heck of it and doing what you want but i also know that there useless mods on nexus like pretty followers that didn't take more than few hours to make and have double the download numbers from your mod. So as long as you don't care about extra money i don't see what wrong with the few idea's i made. You still creating mods for fun and have a fan base ... the only thing that changed is the download link and few bucks in the side so why the freaking out going here?

You and me both!  For the LAPF sex system for Oblivion I overhauled 142 animation sets (times 4 per actor, times 2 actors, so 8 animations per set), most were recreated from scratch as many of the old animations were just to impossible to modify to add breast and butt bounce, as well as add the animated penis.  Took me two years all told.  Animating about 5 hours per day and spending another hour per day doing the importing/exporting/coding that goes along with the animation to make it actually work.  Figure about 4380 hours all told.  That is probably light as I often pulled 10 hour days on the weekends.  If I just made minimum wage, I'd be retired already with the OP's pie in the sky logic.  Ah well.  Good thing I enjoyed both the journey and the destination!   :D

You and me both!  For the LAPF sex system for Oblivion I overhauled 142 animation sets (times 4 per actor, times 2 actors, so 8 animations per set), most were recreated from scratch as many of the old animations were just to impossible to modify to add breast and butt bounce, as well as add the animated penis.  Took me two years all told.  Animating about 5 hours per day and spending another hour per day doing the importing/exporting/coding that goes along with the animation to make it actually work.  Figure about 4380 hours all told.  That is probably light as I often pulled 10 hour days on the weekends.  If I just made minimum wage, I'd be retired already with the OP's pie in the sky logic.  Ah well.  Good thing I enjoyed both the journey and the destination!   :D

Your mods took you so much and  didn't make as much views as other mod that mean other who can make more shouldn't do it? 60$ for a mod that taken all these hours is just sad from money pov but also a follower modder or clothes could make a follower or mash armor in few hours and make double this amount in 1 day >_>

Also i repeat > You still creating mods for fun and have a fan base ... the only thing that changed is the download link and few bucks in the side so why the freaking out?

Sigh here we go again... I don't know why do you think views different from clicks when it come to ads on but okay.... and where the did you get this click bait from? do you even know what that mean? click bait is when you show or tell people about something but give something else. Masking mega link with something like adfly and telling people this the download link is not click bait when they are getting the download link from it. There no survey there no paywall it's just 5 sec wait before they get to the link ... where there the bait in that?

You're sighing? Really? You can't generate a single fact or case of someone making a living based on your pie in the sky theory and you sigh? Wow. Click bait is what folks call masking. When I want to download something, I don't want to click on adfly or some other pop up redirect/reroute/fill out a survey bullshit. No one else does either. Try it and watch your traffic drop to damn near nothing. When folks click to download they expect just that, a download, not advertisements.

and as for switching do you really think that only skyrim give their modders the tools to create mods? you think there not already tools and rigs made for authors to use? you think there not blueprints and assets and tutorials for people to use? That every one there need to create animations and assets from scratch?

I never said only Bethesda made tools. So how about not putting fucking words in my mouth. What I did say is there IS a learning curve moving from one games tools to another's. If you can't wrap your head around that then you truly don't know shit about modding. Animation is more than rigs. There are rigs and then there are rigs. Not all rigs are set up intuitively. Often an animator will build his own rig as the ones he finds either won't do what he wants or just plain suck. And animating is MUCH MUCH MORE than just swiping your mouse with a rig. Animating is one of the most complicated things out there besides actual modeling. Plus there is the coding (often equivalent to learning a foreign language...or at least part of one) to get the animation to actually play in the game. Often this process takes just as long as the animating itself. Very few game makers build comprehensive tools for this. For fuck's sake, Bethesda sure as hell didn't. If it wasn't for FORE and FNIS there would be no sexlab for skyrim.

Yes people like zero could make the switch easily but also people who can retexture can make the switch. Animators can switch because they can still use same tools they will just need a different rig (which available for free too) . People who create homes and locations can make the switch because the tools are there too and even people who make quests can make the switch too because when it come to these mods it's about creativity as much as scripting.

Nope, they couldn't as the math from a previous poster clearly demonstrated. If it was that fucking easy, it would already have been done. And NO the same tools don't apply from one game to the next. That has to be the stupidest thing you've said yet. And what does folks who have already created mods have to do with anything. Are you advocating stealing them and selling them? I sure as fuck hope not! No, No, No, No. Creativity is not equal to scripting. That is like saying I fucking ate a snickers bar and I can now speak French. Stop already.  

and i am not saying creating games is easy but i am sure you didn't really look into ue4. There blueprints and packs ready for you to set it up with few clicks. It's just like modding where you install your favorite combat mod or animation or maps. Everything is already there you just pick what you want and tweak it. You don't need to be animator and whatever else to create game on ue4. It's take as much time to understand as it take someone to understand how to mod his game in skyrim.

Creating games is NOT FUCKING EASY!!! Where did you get this stupid idea???? Stop already. As for the pre-existing resources out there, are you also planing on stealing them to "make" your game and then sell it? Good luck with your cell mate buddy. Cause bars are in your immediate future if you go that route. And the whole modding is easy...........ROFL!!!! If only that were the case. Spend some time in tech support helping folks who have fucked up their games. Installing a mod on your xbox may be easy, but on a PC........well a heavily modded game is a challenge. Well worth the effort, but definitely not the couple of clicks you are thinking it is.

As for the" only few modders will make money" What the hell ? just check the nexus and check the most useless mods of all time "Followers" and see the download numbers for the most recent mods. check the clohes and armors... We have got tons and tons of leechers who will download anything the modders dish out for them and there enough for everyone so why not get something from them while creating mods?

Furnish proof or shut up. Seriously. The average Joe/Jane can't generate the views of the Nexus. Perhaps 1 or 2 modders can, but what good is that with 99.9% of the other modders getting fucked?

Do you even begin to understand the cost of bandwidth or the other things that would have to go into it?

Give it up son. You may have had a great thought, I'd love to see mod makers get a monetary reward too, but as things currently stand, it ain't happening.

Your mods took you so much and  didn't make as much views as other mod that mean other who can make more shouldn't do it? 60$ for a mod that taken all these hours is just sad from money pov but also a follower modder or clothes could make a follower or mash armor in few hours and make double this amount in 1 day >_>

Also i repeat > You still creating mods for fun and have a fan base ... the only thing that changed is the download link and few bucks in the side so why the freaking out?

You know, we could ask the exact same question back at you: why the sudden interest in "ways to make money out of modding"?

Modding has always been (and let's hope it stays that way) about doing stuff for free for the community because you feel like doing so. It is not a way to make money. Yeah, sure, if your mods are liked enough, there may be some people willing to throw a few bucks at you because they think you earned it, and that's nice and all, but that's not the point.

I just don't understand the point of this thread altogether. if you want to have the chance to get some change out of your modding work, then work hard, create quality mods, set up your PayPal or whatever way to get donations, and wait. IMO the Nexus got it right: mods are free, and that's it, but if the mod author wants, they can set up a "Donations" button. Like the mod and want to donate? Sure, go ahead. Don't like it/can't afford it/just don't want to donate? No problem. That's how you do it. Also IMHO commissions are okay as well, as long as they follow LL's rules (aka they must be released to the public for free once finished).

Also, as perviously stated, the methods you mention are not really that effective, because most people use AdBlock or similar software (so kiss your Youtube ad money goodbye), and I'm sure there's plenty of people like me that would never ever touch a "Shortliking" service even with a 10-foot pole while wearing a Hazmat suit. That crap should be avoided like the plague it is, and if some modder sets it up, they sure as hell will not get my download or endorsement, and will probably be blacklisted. I'm not going to expose myself to viruses just because you got greedy and want to get money out of me me without even letting me decide if your work is worthy of it.

Oh, and one last hole to poke in your little theory.....do you plan to step up and put your cash on the line to advertise and host links to these modders little websites?  With your model the nexus, LL and all the other free mod hubs would die off.  So how would those few who are willing to do the click baiting find the mods?  Word of mouth on twitter?  A youtuber's channel?  Do you even begin to understand how hard it would be to find mods if folks took your little ideas and ran with them?

Sigh here we go again... I don't know why do you think views different from clicks when it come to ads on but okay.... and where the did you get this click bait from? do you even know what that mean? click bait is when you show or tell people about something but give something else. Masking mega link with something like adfly and telling people this the download link is not click bait when they are getting the download link from it. There no survey there no paywall it's just 5 sec wait before they get to the link ... where there the bait in that?

You're sighing? Really? You can't generate a single fact or case of someone making a living based on your pie in the sky theory and you sigh? Wow. Click bait is what folks call masking. When I want to download something, I don't want to click on adfly or some other pop up redirect/reroute/fill out a survey bullshit. No one else does either. Try it and watch your traffic drop to damn near nothing. When folks click to download they expect just that, a download, not advertisements.

and as for switching do you really think that only skyrim give their modders the tools to create mods? you think there not already tools and rigs made for authors to use? you think there not blueprints and assets and tutorials for people to use? That every one there need to create animations and assets from scratch?

I never said only Bethesda made tools. So how about not putting fucking words in my mouth. What I did say is there IS a learning curve moving from one games tools to another's. If you can't wrap your head around that then you truly don't know shit about modding. Animation is more than rigs. There are rigs and then there are rigs. Not all rigs are set up intuitively. Often an animator will build his own rig as the ones he finds either won't do what he wants or just plain suck. And animating is MUCH MUCH MORE than just swiping your mouse with a rig. Animating is one of the most complicated things out there besides actual modeling. Plus there is the coding (often equivalent to learning a foreign language...or at least part of one) to get the animation to actually play in the game. Often this process takes just as long as the animating itself. Very few game makers build comprehensive tools for this. For fuck's sake, Bethesda sure as hell didn't. If it wasn't for FORE and FNIS there would be no sexlab for skyrim.

Yes people like zero could make the switch easily but also people who can retexture can make the switch. Animators can switch because they can still use same tools they will just need a different rig (which available for free too) . People who create homes and locations can make the switch because the tools are there too and even people who make quests can make the switch too because when it come to these mods it's about creativity as much as scripting.

Nope, they couldn't as the math from a previous poster clearly demonstrated. If it was that fucking easy, it would already have been done. And NO the same tools don't apply from one game to the next. That has to be the stupidest thing you've said yet. And what does folks who have already created mods have to do with anything. Are you advocating stealing them and selling them? I sure as fuck hope not! No, No, No, No. Creativity is not equal to scripting. That is like saying I fucking ate a snickers bar and I can now speak French. Stop already.  

and i am not saying creating games is easy but i am sure you didn't really look into ue4. There blueprints and packs ready for you to set it up with few clicks. It's just like modding where you install your favorite combat mod or animation or maps. Everything is already there you just pick what you want and tweak it. You don't need to be animator and whatever else to create game on ue4. It's take as much time to understand as it take someone to understand how to mod his game in skyrim.

Creating games is NOT FUCKING EASY!!! Where did you get this stupid idea???? Stop already. As for the pre-existing resources out there, are you also planing on stealing them to "make" your game and then sell it? Good luck with your cell mate buddy. Cause bars are in your immediate future if you go that route. And the whole modding is easy...........ROFL!!!! If only that were the case. Spend some time in tech support helping folks who have fucked up their games. Installing a mod on your xbox may be easy, but on a PC........well a heavily modded game is a challenge. Well worth the effort, but definitely not the couple of clicks you are thinking it is.

As for the" only few modders will make money" What the hell ? just check the nexus and check the most useless mods of all time "Followers" and see the download numbers for the most recent mods. check the clohes and armors... We have got tons and tons of leechers who will download anything the modders dish out for them and there enough for everyone so why not get something from them while creating mods?

Furnish proof or shut up. Seriously. The average Joe/Jane can't generate the views of the Nexus. Perhaps 1 or 2 modders can, but what good is that with 99.9% of the other modders getting fucked?

Do you even begin to understand the cost of bandwidth or the other things that would have to go into it?

Give it up son. You may have had a great thought, I'd love to see mod makers get a monetary reward too, but as things currently stand, it ain't happening.

1> you're saying generate a single fact while still pulling this bullcrap on me. watch my traffic drop... so where did you your facts? where your website that you used adfly on and seen the traffic drop?

2>No i didn't put a single thing in your mouth nor do i feel like it. You kept saying  how hard it is that why i said do you think that only betheda did it? Ue4 does it even better than bethesda ... Because unlike bethesda authors have every tool there to edit behaviors or animations or location or whatever you think of. They didn't pull anything back and there as much tutorial and more as in skyrim and it's not that bad as there already modders who made the switch. Also i know about animations for godsake i can make custom poses and animation and i know how hard work it is but don't pull all these crap about rigs yes rigs needed and i already said there rigs for ue4 out and they work. There even guides on how to convert your animations from rig to rig so stop the bullshit already. if you really were good animator you wouldn't be throwing this crap.

3> again you're screaming about games not being easy... i said there tutorials on ue4 and there videos on youtube about people making this demo game in less than 2 months screwing around with ue4 because it's that easy but NO IT'S NOT THAT EASY I DIDN'T MAKE A SINGLE GAME NOR DID I EVER TRY BUT IT'S NOT THAT EASY!!!!!

4> From where did you get the part about stealing? for god sake i said people who create > as people who know how to> Retexture or animate can make the switch.....

5>"Your mods took you so much and  didn't make as much views as other mod that mean other who can make more shouldn't do it? 60$ for a mod that taken all these hours is just sad from money pov but also a follower modder or clothes could make a follower or mash armor in few hours and make double this amount in 1 day >_>

Also i repeat > You still creating mods for fun and have a fan base ... the only thing that changed is the download link and few bucks in the side so why the freaking out?"

You know, we could ask the exact same question back at you: why the sudden interest in "ways to make money out of modding"?

Modding has always been (and let's hope it stays that way) about doing stuff for free for the community because you feel like doing so. It is not a way to make money. Yeah, sure, if your mods are liked enough, there may be some people willing to throw a few bucks at you because they think you earned it, and that's nice and all, but that's not the point.

I just don't understand the point of this thread altogether. if you want to have the chance to get some change out of your modding work, then work hard, create quality mods, set up your PayPal or whatever way to get donations, and wait. IMO the Nexus got it right: mods are free, and that's it, but if the mod author wants, they can set up a "Donations" button. Like the mod and want to donate? Sure, go ahead. Don't like it/can't afford it/just don't want to donate? No problem. That's how you do it. Also IMHO commissions are okay as well, as long as they follow LL's rules (aka they must be released to the public for free once finished).

Also, as perviously stated, the methods you mention are not really that effective, because most people use AdBlock or similar software (so kiss your Youtube ad money goodbye), and I'm sure there's plenty of people like me that would never ever touch a "Shortliking" service even with a 10-foot pole while wearing a Hazmat suit. That crap should be avoided like the plague it is, and if some modder sets it up, they sure as hell will not get my download or endorsement, and will probably be blacklisted. I'm not going to expose myself to viruses just because you got greedy and want to get money out of me me without even letting me decide if your work is worthy of it.

Well really if adfly and the like scare you that much then you probably shouldn't be on the internet.

Anti-virus and Aanti-mal softwares is a must have even without the need to deal with these "shady" websites and unless you go full retard and download from unknown sources you won't ever deal with such problems.

You not wanting to deal with these crap is your problem... I have never minded going through adfly as long as i got the promised goods at the end. Also i simply thought about this and thought to suggest it i haven't really made any mods but i know how to mod few things. I know how to retexture and i know a little of animating and creating poses. I can mess with the ck and create any kind of spells and even scripted ones. I can create npc or followers etc... so if you're thinking i made this thread so i can do it.. what the heck would stop me from creating my own tumblr and creating mods that would be shared there only? i could even make a thread here and link to my blogs LL doesn't forbidden that so don't go there ....

Oh, and one last hole to poke in your little theory.....do you plan to step up and put your cash on the line to advertise and host links to these modders little websites?  With your model the nexus, LL and all the other free mod hubs would die off.  So how would those few who are willing to do the click baiting find the mods?  Word of mouth on twitter?  A youtuber's channel?  Do you even begin to understand how hard it would be to find mods if folks took your little ideas and ran with them?

Why would LL or similar websites not support that anyway? modders would still post their mods here but give a third-party link like mega or googledrive (which some already do) masked in adfly > THERE no clickbait when the author himself state that the link is in mega but masked in adfly > Wait 5 seconds before pressing skip-ad to get the link  people... LL not getting anything of file hosting anyway...  In minicraft forum the modders can use adfly links and there no complaints from the userbase because as i said before people just freakout for nothing when they hear about adfly and if adfly bother you that much there many alternate other than shorten links but it's only possible if the modder have control over their download links which i am suggesting to modders here who might want to earn some.

[...]

You know what, it's not worth discussing this any longer. You have your position and refuse to look at it from other angles or take other people's opinions into account (which on the other hand you have the right to do, since nobody is going to force their beliefs/opinions on you as long as you don't break the rules).

In the end, sure, modders are actually free to do as you say and use those methods to get income from their modding. That's it. They can try, but they must be prepared to face the consequences, aka people critizising them and refusing to download their files due to AdFly or whatever virus-ridden shortliking service they want to use. The thing is, there is a reason why that's not what happens 99% of the time. Think about it; or not. Your choice.

And for your information, I do have anti-virus programs and the like, and I know my way around internet dangers. But look at it this way: Say, you get some great AIDS vaccine or serum that can make you highly (but not completely) immune to the disease or cure it after a short sickness period. In that case, would you travel around the worst AIDS-infested parts of Africa having careless unprotected sex with everybody who's willing to do so? 'Cause if you would, then that's your choice, but I (and 95%of the planet's population) will say you are suicidally stupid. Same case here with using shortlinking services. (Note that I use it as an exaggerated example, all my respect to the people afflicted with that horrible illness).

[...]

You know what, it's not worth discussing this any longer. You have your position and refuse to look at it from other angles or take other people's opinions into account (which on the other hand you have the right to do, since nobody is going to force their beliefs/opinions on you as long as you don't break the rules).

In the end, sure, modders are actually free to do as you say and use those methods to get income from their modding. That's it. They can try, but they must be prepared to face the consequences, aka people critizising them and refusing to download their files due to AdFly or whatever virus-ridden shortliking service they want to use. The thing is, there is a reason why that's not what happens 99% of the time. Think about it; or not. Your choice.

And for your information, I do have anti-virus programs and the like, and I know my way around internet dangers. But look at it this way: Say, you get some great AIDS vaccine or serum that can make you highly (but not completely) immune to the disease or cure it after a short sickness period. In that case, would you travel around the worst AIDS-infested parts of Africa having careless unprotected sex with everybody who's willing to do so? 'Cause if you would, then that's your choice, but I (and 95%of the planet's population) will say you are suicidally stupid. Same case here with using shortlinking services. (Note that I use it as an exaggerated example, all my respect to the people afflicted with that horrible illness).

Of course there will be criticism but like you said it's up to the modder to decide if it worth it or not. Also as much as i want to defend adf.ly i already said before that it's not the only source .. There a cleaner one and that is youtube but for modders to make money with it the download links should be in the video page and that it should be the only source for the download and for that to happen, modder must have a control of their download links aka not uploading it to steam or nexus.

LL shouldn't be harmed from that as it's forum that allow people to already post mods with third-party dl links .. so people can showcase their mod on ll or make the topic their the main page for mod discussion and bugs report so it would be win-win for both ll and modders who want to earn some and nexus can adapt too if they want to include these modders.

Ah......now I see your strategy.......circle jerk arguments devoid of a shred of reality.  Pretty sure neither LL or the nexus is going to allow your little ponzi scheme of click baiting, but feel free to shout the sky is falling, I'm pulling up a chair and some marshmallows and going to enjoy the show.

You finally did admit what everyone guessed at, you don't know shit about modding.  Well, I'm proud of you.  1st baby step and all that.

As to my skills as an animator.  Tell you what, you figure out how to make an animation without a rig and I'll give you a nod of respect.  Hell, make a decent animation WITH a rig and I'll do the same.  Until then you are all mouth and no substance.  I animate without a rig at all, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.  As to converting animations and "rig" to "rig".  Do you even begin to understand what a rig is?  Do you not realize that we can't properly convert animations from one game to another because the fucking skeletons are different?  Holy hamburger dude.  I'm begging you to stop.  Please.  You just keep exposing how very little you know.  

Course you also don't know anything about hosting a website, understanding that you can't sell a demo, generating traffic or arguing in a factually coherent manner.  But hell, none of the above are much fun anyway, so why not just pull shit out of your ass and troll it to see who bites.  Check that box off your bucket list, you nailed it.

And on that note, I'm done here.  You have your fantasy and you are more than welcome to it.  Just don't expect anyone else to bite on it.  You'll be sorely disappointed.

The same thing that prevent people from doing it now. Respect for other modders and that if they didn't the modders will probably fill dmca and take down their mods or blog too if they kept stealing. Most blogs play it safe by showcasing the mod then linking the author link (even most korean blogs do it that way) some won't even re-upload mods to other links even if they dead so they don't get in trouble and why bother when you can just link the mod page and get traffic anyway from showing their mods?

That dont work, people are already sharing work and will keep doing this, how many people are still sharing modders work even though the mod author says not to share it ? Do you really believe this will not also happen with this ? 

Then what good will this do for loverslab people come here to find mods, they are not waiting to be directed to another shady site in order to even download the mod.

Also DMCA does not apply for this if you use bethesda ck it is bethesda that owns the mod read bethesda Eula.

Ah......now I see your strategy.......circle jerk arguments devoid of a shred of reality.  Pretty sure neither LL or the nexus is going to allow your little ponzi scheme of click baiting, but feel free to shout the sky is falling, I'm pulling up a chair and some marshmallows and going to enjoy the show.

You finally did admit what everyone guessed at, you don't know shit about modding.  Well, I'm proud of you.  1st baby step and all that.

As to my skills as an animator.  Tell you what, you figure out how to make an animation without a rig and I'll give you a nod of respect.  Hell, make a decent animation WITH a rig and I'll do the same.  Until then you are all mouth and no substance.  I animate without a rig at all, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.  As to converting animations and "rig" to "rig".  Do you even begin to understand what a rig is?  Do you not realize that we can't properly convert animations from one game to another because the fucking skeletons are different?  Holy hamburger dude.  I'm begging you to stop.  Please.  You just keep exposing how very little you know.  

Course you also don't know anything about hosting a website, understanding that you can't sell a demo, generating traffic or arguing in a factually coherent manner.  But hell, none of the above are much fun anyway, so why not just pull shit out of your ass and troll it to see who bites.  Check that box off your bucket list, you nailed it.

And on that note, I'm done here.  You have your fantasy and you are more than welcome to it.  Just don't expect anyone else to bite on it.  You'll be sorely disappointed.

Did you really just say that you can't convert animations from one game to another because the skeleton? and you call yourself animator? Never heard of animation retargeting? just stop it's actually seem you're the one who seem to think himself animator without knowing a lick.

You also said i finally admitted i don't know a shit about modding... where the heck did you get that? i said didn't create any mod yet but i can animate a little and did in fact create few custom poses and one not perfect animation but i know how. I also said i know how to retexture and i know how to create followers or create any spell with scripts...so who trying to put words in someone else mouth now?

and now when i asked you about how do you know that traffic drop once you use adfly you answer with you don't know anything and just sprutted some crap on me without saying anything useful.

Also you say you can't sell a demo when i never said anything about selling i simply said how easy it is to get started with the core. It's how far the modder want to go from there. For example he could create a half assed shooter in 2 or 3 month or spent more time modding it til he get a better game. It's like modding some have a game with 30 mods and some have over 250, There people who add clothes mod while others have overhauls and quests mods. It's up to the modder from there on how much to spent on his game.

That dont work, people are already sharing work and will keep doing this, how many people are still sharing modders work even though the mod author says not to share it ? Do you really believe this will not also happen with this ? 

Then what good will this do for loverslab people come here to find mods, they are not waiting to be directed to another shady site in order to even download the mod.

Also DMCA does not apply for this if you use bethesda ck it is bethesda that owns the mod read bethesda Eula.

You clearly ignored my reply above that said that there also a cleaner version of that and that it called "youtube" and people would still come to ll to find mods as it database to find mods and modders can still post topics here to showcase and discuss their mods or even making it topic for bug reports.

Have you really read the rules you're advising me to? and you don't know that even though bethesda hold the right over mods that mod authors also hold legal right over their own mods and can fill dmca if they want? and why are you so worried about mod authors now not getting enough money when you okay with them not getting any at all?

I have an idea... work on what you love, and you will never work a day in your life. lol

what is with all this $$$ when it comes to creating content? Really. Modding started out free, in fact so free you could take assets from other mods and enhance them, make them better and make compilations and all matter of work. This cut down on the serious shit load of work to do to get even some of the most basic task done. All that was expected was respect in giving credit where credit was due.

http://wryemusings.com/Cathedral%20vs.%20Parlor.html

The above is an explanation on this and how it benefits modding communities. 

That was before all this concept of $$$$$ came up. Now it is even more damaging. 

Work for free, Created excellent content that is in demand, offer opportunities for people to help support you... profit. This is how you do this if you ever hope to make money.

(your click idea... fine, just send them to a site like this for free downloads. you get the click, they get the mod, The site gets the support and membership traffic everybody wins)

It is time Ashal himself put this thread to rest. if he is ok with this no more talk but if not i hope you put your thread in bin  where it belongs.

Did you really just say that you can't convert animations from one game to another because the skeleton? and you call yourself animator? Never heard of animation retargeting? just stop it's actually seem you're the one who seem to think himself animator without knowing a lick.

Are you serious retargeting ?? are we talking about 3dmax or blender ?? even retargeting does no good you still need to manually fix retargeting is not a magical option that suddenly work especially when using mocap and or character rigs.  

Have you really read the rules you're advising me to? and you don't know that even though bethesda hold the right over mods that mod authors also hold legal right over their own mods and can fill dmca if they want? and why are you so worried about mod authors now not getting enough money when you okay with them not getting any at all?

I wanted to answer this but right now i think you are startinh to trolling no reason to lower myself to this i am out.

i have a better idea kill this thread before the flaming starts.

It is time Ashal himself put this thread to rest. if he is ok with this no more talk but if not i hope you put your thread in bin  where it belongs.

I wanted to answer this but right now i think you are startinh to trolling no reason to lower myself to this i am out.

i have a better idea kill this thread before the flaming starts.

Answer with what? you said that only bethesda hold right over mods and told me to go read the rules and i pointed out that wrong and that mod authors hold the right over their own mods and if you didn't know that doesn't it mean you're the one who didn't bother to read it? Also you went about how people would share their mods and such... Making it seem like you're afraid for modders who would do that will lose views or something when you seem against the idea doesn't strike you as funny? and god who forcing you to reply here? It's a discussion thread in the general discussion forum you can either talk about it or not if you want to... no one forcing you to do what i am suggestion. You're free to do what you want.

Also as you seem to edited and add another thing about retargeting as i was making this reply  i will answer that too. No it's not magical tool but it's known to work and it's a lot easier than recreating the animation from scratch and that was also to answer to gregathit saying that we can't probably do it... when it's possible and there aleady tons of guides on the ue4 forum for it and there even a guide on nexus that show how to do just that for skyrim....

I love how everyone come and point something and when it doesn't work they simply switch and go for another to just prove they right.

It is time Ashal himself put this thread to rest.

Or a moderator, this thread is going to get very toxic soon I fear.

I actually don't know why everyone getting their hackles up... That was suggestion not order to modders who might want to earn some money. If a modder don't like it he could just say nah i am okay without it i mod for fun anyway or prefer another way but everyone seem bent on shooting down the thing for everyone else. Even if my idea is stupid it's up to others to either try it or not but some seem to think i am asking their permission or something while other bent on picking a fight like the guy baiting people with the get real job remark.

Well you are correct about the retargeting but it seem to mostly fuck up around pelvis area that is why i would rather just first try to manually fix animation i have done plenty of convertions from different games so that part is very possible manually is only very time consuming not something i try everyday.

It is time Ashal himself put this thread to rest.

Or a moderator, this thread is going to get very toxic soon I fear.

I actually don't know why everyone getting their hackles up... That was suggestion not order to modders who might want to earn some money. If a modder don't like it he could just say nah i am okay without it i mod for fun anyway or prefer another way but everyone seem bent on shooting down the thing for everyone else. Even if my idea is stupid it's up to others to either try it or not but some seem to think i am asking their permission or something while other bent on picking a fight like the guy baiting people with the get real job remark.

Getting their Hackles up? I don't know why. Well perhaps people don't want to eventually pay for mods and it seems as if this is a growing trend.

Anyway, I am find with ways the modder can get money if they want provided it is nonintrusive. Most sites won't allow payed mods. I think it is even illegal if it gets too close to paying for content. (not sure I believe it is part of the EULA) Although don't quote me on it. 

However I am confident that people will outright steal paid mod and do all matter of evils with the files. If someone puts it behind pay walls they get stolen quite quickly. It is a shame that it is this way but that is the way it seems to be. 

I remember when all was pretty much free to do with as you pleased. Works on someone else's work was encouraged often times than not and seen as a benefit to the community when re-uploaded with better mesh or textures. A lot of work was able to be done and many of the Skyrim hairs currently available have some basis on these original works (or so as far as I can see) as well as some tweaked body meshes and such for Fallout 3 and NV. 

Also many have left the modding scene because of $$$ trending to be "required" along with arguments of "permissions" etc. Which makes things arder for new content to be created as this talent isn't available even for consultation anymore.

So the above is reasons for me to get upset when I see this come up from time to time and seems more and more often. I didn't post eariler as it was a comment on how to get some more $$$ from clicks (alternate revenue option) for those that wanted some support and slowly seemed to become more concerned with $$$ as the post continued. Perhaps I didn't read it well the first time I come through and checked this out. 

In anycase, I know many modders here, nexus and other places, so I can get my fix quite easily and even get many custom textures and armors that aren't available anywhere else :cool: 

My comment on Toxic is from some of the previous post and experiences on people jumping in and getting offended and then lashing out. It appeared to be trending that way however with your recent post (along with D_Manxx ) it seems to be going the other direction :)Which is a good thing. Even though I don't believe money should enter into the modding world I am not stupid and understand that people might need support especially with the sheer MASSIVE AMOUNT OF WORK that is required to create a decent mod, custom armor and HEAVEN FORBID A FRAMEWORK :P

A thread going toxic means it will be locked and perhaps useful info that someone interested in click links and whatever might not be able to see or explore. That would be a travesty ^_^ Information, good or bad should be freely discussed openly and frankly so that any useful info can be obtained easily for those that need it. 

Well you are correct about the retargeting but it seem to mostly fuck up around pelvis area that is why i would rather just first try to manually fix animation i have done plenty of convertions from different games so that part is very possible manually is only very time consuming not something i try everyday.

Off subject,

How hard is it to create a animation rig?

LL has a right to protect itself from disruptive factors. While external links are not disallowed at the moment, an influx of people using 'clickbait' links might have us rethink that. For one thing, I don't like the idea of people just advertising here and not participating. And there is obviously the real possibility of some links not being safe. Public reaction to an increase in all that would lead to drama, and who needs any of that.

When it comes to publishing mods, nothing can compare to doing it on an actual modding site. You have your target audience right there, a community of like-minded creators you can consult or collaborate with, and a link that doesn't die just because you've exceeded your maximum volume or something like that. It's just the way to go.

I share ritual's rosy-eyed view of a past where people weren't so paranoid about the pay issue and a bit more permissive in allowing the copying of content to make something new with. Whether you like to admit it or not, copying is a major force for creativity. Far more than the prospect of getting paid for it, I must add. I don't think it's my place to tell other modders what to do with their stuff and what to mod for, but I do think it's about time the overall subject dominating the community these past years got changed from obessing about money and theft, to ensuring mods keep getting made in the first place. We should be about that, first and foremost.

Back to modding for me. I'm having a blast these days :)

LL has a right to protect itself from disruptive factors. While external links are not disallowed at the moment, an influx of people using 'clickbait' links might have us rethink that. For one thing, I don't like the idea of people just advertising here and not participating. And there is obviously the real possibility of some links not being safe. Public reaction to an increase in all that would lead to drama, and who needs any of that.

When it comes to publishing mods, nothing can compare to doing it on an actual modding site. You have your target audience right there, a community of like-minded creators you can consult or collaborate with, and a link that doesn't die just because you've exceeded your maximum volume or something like that. It's just the way to go.

I share ritual's rosy-eyed view of a past where people weren't so paranoid about the pay issue and a bit more permissive in allowing the copying of content to make something new with. Whether you like to admit it or not, copying is a major force for creativity. Far more than the prospect of getting paid for it, I must add. I don't think it's my place to tell other modders what to do with their stuff and what to mod for, but I do think it's about time the overall subject dominating the community these past years got changed from obessing about money and theft, to ensuring mods keep getting made in the first place. We should be about that, first and foremost.

Back to modding for me. I'm having a blast these days :)

Okay i agree with you that "clickbait" as you call it might generate a drama even if it on baseless fear but what your opinion on youtube? People switching from hosting files on steam and nexus or even LL but hosting their files in file-host websites like mega or google drive and putting the download link in the video when they posting here? example any mod here but instead of dl leading to ll or directly to mega like other lead to youtube first? would that still considered as bad even if there were no shady webs used?

Also after all these arguments i decided to remove the shorten link idea from the topic as most seem to agree that it's terrible one so lets focus on the youtube one people...

My english its bad but i writee something to :)

Think its i like games very much but i spen most time in 3ds max like in game to make new outdits for my toon i game ,i never think about it make mone from it ,sometime i share some of my work,when i see ppl download my mod and like it so this its for me more like get pay for me :)

You are killing me.  Really.  How about you just stop the nonsense.  No, I am not against folks making money via modding.  I'm just trying to point out that it is NOT a viable option for the vast majority of folks as things are today.  Now if steam goes back to paid mods, then that changes things slightly.  However, it isn't the total game changer that you might think.  It still takes way too many hours to make a decent mod that will generate the income to pay for the many hours that it will take you to create said mod.  Not to mention that you can't just create one mod and retire.  You'd have to continue producing to keep folks coming back.  At the end of the day, you're going to realize that the minimum wage job pays more per hour than you can earn via modding per hour.  So why would you want to mod for money with that reality smacking you in the face?????  You won't bottom line.  You'll mod because you like it or want something that no one else is doing.

And don't forget all the other things that modding for a living would need to do, like pay taxes, provisions for making sure folks aren't posting your mods for free everywhere and all those other details of being in business.  Devil in the details and all that..............

just for fun, lets do the math on the biggest mod i have ever made: Horny Dragons of Skyrim

note: numbers are estimated.

42 animation sets  X 4 stages = 168 animations

168 animations X 12 hours to make one (give or take)  = 2016 hours

2016 hours X $11.25 Canadian minimum wage = $22680

$22680 ÷ 360 mod followers = for the work already done, they would each owe me $63 Canadian (or more)

When i was curious i did the maths differently, first i went to the LL patreon website and saw the maximum value that Ashal has set (not that is currently being donated just how high the target is) which is $4000, assuming either everybody currently donating doubles there donation or twice as many people as currently donating choose to donate and do so each month, the $4000 per month would be $48,000 anually which i work out as about $25 an hour based on a 40 hour working week (actual value would probably be lower due to running costs/tax being deducted first)

While i'm not curious enough to go searching jobs in depth the quick google i've done shows that sort of salary as entry/junior level pay for a C++ developer

This is based off the donation page for the framework itself which i'd have though would be the most downloaded adult mod from this site/have highest chance of receiving a donation so i dont think someone that made a content mod would be able to get anywhere near those results

Well, i see modding at its heart as something akin to a free spirit, where you do what you want to do and when you want to do.

While the idea of making money out of modding is certainly nice, you are forgetting that with time it also sucks out your enjoyment, with money come expectations, with expectations come people who are many times unable to comprehend how complicated the whole process is but they expect things from you and can get vocal (hell they get vocal even without that).
Then frustration sets in and its an endless spiral.

I dont have the knowledge and skills like the many amazing people here but i did tried animating, creating my own bodies or armors and its crazy how time consuming it is.

I really dont see any other way then donations to work with modding, that way modders can enjoy what they are doing, without feeling the pressure and get more inspired if they recieve a donation, then hunting for money all the time and even ending up using shady practices just to get the coin they would need for living.

Modding should stay free, not bound to anything but pure enjoyment that brings out the best in modders, creativity.

Archived