[mod] Noxbestia's Darkest Perversions

Still hijacking this threat to report my problems with the script I set to write, I hope you'll have me :smile:

So I went at it with a coder mindset: just sit down behind my keyboard to start coding and see where it gets me. I didn't plan for anything, because I assumed the beast would be easy to slain. That was true before trying to handle several mods at the same time. Right now I have a bit less than 300 pythonesque lines of code that I need to refactor. I need to take into account where the trait comes from and ignore overridden files. I need to be aware of from which mod data comes from while a the same time not be aware of it.

I could share what I have now, if you want to get a look at it and laugh at me. Otherwise, I'll just keep banging my neurons together in hope for them to figure out this thing.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:39 AM, NoxBestia said:

Unexpected Delays

Due to an unpleasant confrontation and falling-out with someone I had called a friend for some time, there will be an additional delay as I remove and replace certain portions of my mod.  Until this task is completed, I probably won't be making any posts or checking for issues as regularly.

Sad to hear about the fallout, I hope you'll both make up over a nuka-cola :smile:

3 hours ago, bicobus said:

Still hijacking this threat to report my problems with the script I set to write, I hope you'll have me :smile:

So I went at it with a coder mindset: just sit down behind my keyboard to start coding and see where it gets me. I didn't plan for anything, because I assumed the beast would be easy to slain. That was true before trying to handle several mods at the same time. Right now I have a bit less than 300 pythonesque lines of code that I need to refactor. I need to take into account where the trait comes from and ignore overridden files. I need to be aware of from which mod data comes from while a the same time not be aware of it.

I could share what I have now, if you want to get a look at it and laugh at me. Otherwise, I'll just keep banging my neurons together in hope for them to figure out this thing.

Sad to hear about the fallout, I hope you'll both make up over a nuka-cola :smile:

You are more than welcome to post the code, but I'm not that well versed in Python and am not sure what insight I could provide at this point.  However, maybe others on here are knowledgeable in Python and could give you useful feedback.  

7 hours ago, Thephenix1 said:

Tried it out a little. What content is actually in ATM? Saw ALOT of interesting content in the mod files and rules etc. but couldn't really find any of it in-game

That is indeed a current problem.  There is a lot of content reactivated, but also a lot that currently has to be manually triggered.  Currently my focus is replacing all existing imported Kitsune material with stuff of my own, but if you tell me what you were looking for, i could either guide you or it might find itself moved up in the queue.  But there are several requests ahead, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Penor said:

Still can't get myself to like the new trait icons - any way to get the old ones back?

TLDR: go for it if you want.  :smile:  

Further technical details and cautions:  Be aware that if you were to just edit the files in my mod, then it will change every update I do and you'd have to start over.  Also with as much as I rename and move files, you will still need to delete the old NDPA before installing a new one or things will break.  Unfortunately there is no reasonable way for me to code it to a rule or internal commands, so facing all of this you basically have to make a submod of my mod to do it.  Should you wish to do that, I have no objections at all.  The new icons themselves were originally from @Herring's own submod so you can look at that for ideas on how to pull it off if you need.

On the plus side, most of the old icons that I had used, which were very incomplete, are still in the mod in \gfx\traits\endowments\old  but you'll have to double up on some of them or find replacements for the ones I didn't have.  Also know that all new endowment traits, like mouth/muzzle elasticity will only be in the new style so you'd have to go searching for your own replacements for those or deal with the split style.

Finally, @bicobus made me some really neat icons for ass size that ended up being replaced by the new icon set.  I plan on using those for other traits in the future, so if you do use those, then you'll have the problem of doubled-up icons again.  However, I have NO intention of ever using either set of the fugly and fail ass icons I had made so you are free to use those.

EDIT: After some further thought, I will see about moving all of the endowment graphic definitions out of NoxDPA-TraitsSprites.gfx into something like NoxDPA-EndowmentTraitsSprites.gfx so that it is easier for other people like yourself and @Herring and anyone else who so desires to make mods of the endowments to their personal preferences.  You'll still have to keep everything else in mind, but that will make it easier to do.

Feedback Request: Keeping Vampires or Not?

I am very seriously torn about keeping vampires in NDPA.  Part of the problem is that I don't enjoy writing for vampires, but I also have over 1,800 words of event text written for vampires, and that is without the sex scenes for futa vampires.  Ironically, I love vampire movies (even some of the bad ones), I enjoy some of the vampire games, and I even aced a college literature course about vampires (back in 1993) and had a blast doing so.

Another big problem is that if I continue to write for vampires, I really should have an infrastructure for their powers since Dark World didn't ever have one and it now looks like it never will.  That means I either make my own, or copy one of the existing ones (assuming I could even get permission to do so).  I know that Warhammer has vampires in it, and there is a World of Darkness mod that, last time I looked, was still primarily focused on vampires and werewolves.  Either route makes my goal of expanded compatibility more of a challenge.

Of course I could go ahead and finish my sex scenes for vampires and simply make it so that players never become vampires in NDPA.  To me, that feels like a cheap route, but it would solve part of the problem.

14 hours ago, NoxBestia said:

I am very seriously torn about keeping vampires in NDPA.  Part of the problem is that I don't enjoy writing for vampires, but I also have over 1,800 words of event text written for vampires, and that is without the sex scenes for futa vampires.  Ironically, I love vampire movies (even some of the bad ones), I enjoy some of the vampire games, and I even aced a college literature course about vampires (back in 1993) and had a blast doing so.

Another big problem is that if I continue to write for vampires, I really should have an infrastructure for their powers since Dark World didn't ever have one and it now looks like it never will.  That means I either make my own, or copy one of the existing ones (assuming I could even get permission to do so).  I know that Warhammer has vampires in it, and there is a World of Darkness mod that, last time I looked, was still primarily focused on vampires and werewolves.  Either route makes my goal of expanded compatibility more of a challenge.

Of course I could go ahead and finish my sex scenes for vampires and simply make it so that players never become vampires in NDPA.  To me, that feels like a cheap route, but it would solve part of the problem.

I think the Mythos 2 mod has a good system for vampires you could ask to port/imspire to code your own. It's by far the less convoluted one. Princes of Darkness is a total conversion focusing entirely on supernatural creatures, so I'm not sure that'd be suitable to port over a mod for the "base CK2", so to speak. In Warhammer there are several breeds of vampires which behave and look entirely different. 

So my final advance: if you want to continue writing vampires, draft a bit your own lore regarding what the vampiric condition entails exactly (e.g. does blood just provide nourishment, or also some kind of power beyond averting biological decay? How often do you have to feed, and what happens if you don't? Does feeding require killing? How do you create other vampires?). Then look for mechanics based off that lore instead of adopting some mechanics and then coming up with flavour for them. Who knows, maybe when you have the groud ideas for lore and mechanics, writing the fluff could be more enjoyable to you?

Hello there.

First of all, a huge "Thank you" for this mod :smile: I do like the fact that you are trying to cover a large "area" of options,possibilites, fantasies,... please, keep it comming :smile:

I'd really like to know how to add some stuff from my mind in there, or edit something, but I have no idea how to do it.

I just hope the future releases will cover up as many possibilites as possible :smile:

Anyway, about the vampires... Im not that much interested in them so if you actually do want to cut them out, do it. Although, some features would be really cool but I will keep these in my head, some of them might be a little bit more ... extreme :smile:

so... I would vote for vampires to remain in the mod,playable but its deffinitely not nessessary :smile:

20 hours ago, NoxBestia said:

Vampires are a cool concept. But I've never liked sexual Vampires. Something like Warhammer or Knights and Terrors in the Night would be neat...but as part of a seperate mod. At least in my opinion.

PROGRESS UPDATE: Fox Tails Everywhere!

My first attempt at a game with the new Kitsune mechanics in place was fun, but frustrating.  A lot of things are broken and only about half of my fox magick worked as planned.  Alas, my past procrastination jumped out of the shadows and bit me quite hard in the butt!

As most of you are aware, many of my custom races have special reproduction mechanics.  I got away with not coding them all in for the tests with the Night Wolves, but since the Kitsune are once again no longer a full race (they're complicated since they can each have 4 or more different character pictures depending on what form they are in), I had to console in any Kitsune offspring.  So, I spent the entire day coding in Kitsune breeding scenarios.  I threw my bloodline inheritance maintenance in there as well, so that should finally work now.  In the end, I have over 1,800 lines of code and comments to deal with the offspring of either a Kitsune, Half-Kitsune, or Sentient Fox mother.  Each of those mothers test against 7 different possible classes of fathers and that is only dealing with canine and human fathers (including Night Wolves).  I haven't touches bears, horses, centaurs, BeastBred, and so on.

Kitsune currently have 30 spell decisions available (ranging between targeted province, targeted person, or general) with another dozen or so still needing to be coded.  If you make it up to having 9 tails, some of these spells are insanely powerful, but they also cost insane amounts of piety at those levels and I don't have the piety increasing events even blocked out yet.  I have to resort to console command cheating to test them for now, but that is what those commands are in there for in the first place.

For now, my brain is coded out, so I'm going to go veg out (and cry a lot) in front of Pom Poko (IMDB link) before I head to bed.  There are some good ideas in there for both Tanuki and Kitsune tricks for earning piety to power their magic in NDPA.  Sorry to disappoint my raccoon-dog fans but Tanuki aren't actually in NDPA yet; however, some of the code that will be needed for them is already in place alongside the Kitsune code.

Also, what I was calling "fanboi" form earlier is now being used for the children of human/Kitsune matings.  However, both half-kitsune and true kitsune can shapeshift into any of the 4 default forms at first tail.  Sex shifting requires you to have earned your second tail, however.  The AI uses a weighted random for their form and in my test game the historic 7-tail kitsune baroness seemed to like to stay in the half-human form.  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when there are a few dozen kitsune on the board.

P.S. A big thanks to everyone who has given their feedback on the Vampire decision.  I have decided to leave the vampire Halls of Discretion events in place, but I'm probably not going to be adding Vampire mechanics for players into the game for some time.

7 hours ago, ngppgn said:

Would you consider using custom variables instead of piety for the different kinds of magic/powers?

I'd consider it, but what are the PROs for it?  All I can come up with are CONs.

1. CONs
    1. No built-in mechanic for monthly gain
    2. No built-in mechanic for trait adjustments
    3. No built-in mechanic for building adjustments
    4. No tie-in to existing CK2 events & mechanics making it totally stand-alone and 100% dependent on events I write.
    5. No user interface display and if I were to make one that would likely further decrease compatibility across other MODs.
  2. PROs
    1. ???

27 minutes ago, NoxBestia said:

I'd consider it, but what are the PROs for it?  All I can come up with are CONs.

1. CONs
    1. No built-in mechanic for monthly gain
    2. No built-in mechanic for trait adjustments
    3. No built-in mechanic for building adjustments
    4. No tie-in to existing CK2 events & mechanics making it totally stand-alone and 100% dependent on events I write.
    5. No user interface display and if I were to make one that would likely further decrease compatibility across other MODs.
  2. PROs
    1. ???

Standalone-ness is a pro in my view, and this wncompases several of the points you are outlined:

1- does it makes sense that humble characters gain kitsune/succubus power for being humble and lose it for being proud? Or that they gain it for being zealous, when zealousness would in many religions propably mean refraining from actions that yield power gain?

In general, does it makes sense that every piety change be a "mana" change too? In modt cases it doesn't.

2- the momthly gain can be handled by a single hidden event with a big if-else if...-else if-else structure.

Alternatively, if you do an offmap power for each type of supernatural and use the offmap currency instead of a normsl variable, you gain the support for monthly modifier and an interface display (in the offmap window), thus countering another of the cons.

33 minutes ago, ngppgn said:

Standalone-ness is a pro in my view, and this wncompases several of the points you are outlined:

1- does it makes sense that humble characters gain kitsune/succubus power for being humble and lose it for being proud? Or that they gain it for being zealous, when zealousness would in many religions propably mean refraining from actions that yield power gain?

In general, does it makes sense that every piety change be a "mana" change too? In modt cases it doesn't.

2- the momthly gain can be handled by a single hidden event with a big if-else if...-else if-else structure.

Alternatively, if you do an offmap power for each type of supernatural and use the offmap currency instead of a normsl variable, you gain the support for monthly modifier and an interface display (in the offmap window), thus countering another of the cons.

While I agree that mechanically, standaloneness is desirable, IMO it decreases the integration of something into the rest of the game, but of all my points, I guess that is the most minor.

Of course it makes no sense!  :tongue:  But then a lot of CK2's mechanics make no sense to me.  Why is lustfulness a bad trait in pagan religions?  /laughs  I have been soooooo tempted to follow in the footsteps of the christianity MOD and make lust a virtue instead of a sin.  In my darker, sexualied world that would make more sense anyway.

I agree that piety <> mana but it seems the most useful use of what I generally think of as a next to useless stat.  In CK2 core, do we ever use it for anything beyond making kingdoms and empires?  Probably but nothing is coming to mind.

A single event handler for MP would work.  If we take it to an extreme with all world leaders being Kitsune (and I'd hate to see that world happen), how much more of a performance hit would that be?  Personally, I don't care, but a lot of people don't have the kind of equipment a career IT person tends to get.

Offmap powers... from an old D&D perspective that would be a perfect mechanic for playing out "praying for spells."  And it would work just as well if the offmap power was some non-character, like the ruins in AGOT.  I could see it working for Kitsune as well.

So, as with most things, it is doable with enough time and code.  What else is the net gain?  Is it _worth_ doing?  Certain answers to that may change drastically if the next DLC is playable theocracies as I suspect it might be.  For now, I'll keep building with piety, but I'll have thoughts going as I work on things as to what all I need to do if I were to switch it to a totally custom system. 

(Of course your next response may just be enough to sway me to a custom system...?  I have already gone from "probably not" to "maybe")  ;) 

It's nice to see you banging away at this still. I've tried it out as-is and will give it a much more robust test next iteration. I'm still stuck in AGOT though, I can't not kill (or whatever) Joeffry and Cersie over and over. Perhaps it will get old...but maybe by that time you will have a AGOT version ;)

42 minutes ago, Eathlome said:

Trying to play this with AGOT 1.6.1 and DW:Reborn 1.62, and it results in an instant Game Over on start.  Is there a specific way to set up the mods to get it to work, or is it just currently incompatible?

At this time they are quite incompatible.  At some point there will be a compatibility module for AGOT but due to the massive amount of reworking that I am going to have to do for several of my custom races it has been pushed lower down into the queue.