Skyrim Special Edition or original Skyrim?

lambient1988

Sometimes they will swallow, sometimes they will spit it out on your nice black trousers. (Just in case it's analogy time).

Actually my somewhat major peeve with SSE at the moment is it's totally weird memory management. Sometimes it's toodles along around the 4gb mark, other times in very similar situations it rises up to 6gb, (and have seen it grab 9gb). Not talking GPU memory, (which is always circa 3.5gb on my setup). Yes it's a heavily modded game for something without the extender - but nothing which is actually out of the mainstream. But is still quite weird. Also the weird 'corrupt save' thing which occurs after a random amount of playing. It flags all saves as corrupt. (I mean all saves - even saves which were made at the start of the game). Can be noted when it's about to happen because message boxes loose their text and dialog options start going missing. However close the game down, and restart and all the saves are all actually fine. Has been noted by other people, even on even clean installs. Maybe the 1.4 patch will fix it, because it didn't happen before the 1.3.

Good point well made. Actually CPU tends not to go over 60% mark when running the game, and GPU is a 970 and I have enough ram to note that it takes 9GB now and again - so obviously I have alot of RAM :shy:  Actually it's just a point that the 64bit isn't a panacia for anything. (Although my CTD's can probably be counted on two hands since release, and have played it for quite a bit).

For future reference on the false save corrupt thing a link to the only post for those which actually have it, (https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5196990-false-save-corruption-during-gameplay/ ) I suspect if it's not a major issue, (i.e when compared to 32bit, it isn't after all these years of playing, it really is very minor issue), it won't get fixed. (or 1.4 will make it worse :shy: )

Good point well made. Actually CPU tends not to go over 60% mark when running the game, and GPU is a 970 and I have enough ram to note that it takes 9GB now and again - so obviously I have alot of RAM :shy:  Actually it's just a point that the 64bit isn't a panacia for anything. (Although my CTD's can probably be counted on two hands since release, and have played it for quite a bit).

For future reference on the false save corrupt thing a link to the only post for those which actually have it, (https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5196990-false-save-corruption-during-gameplay/ ) I suspect if it's not a major issue, (i.e when compared to 32bit, it isn't after all these years of playing, it really is very minor issue), it won't get fixed. (or 1.4 will make it worse :shy: )

The memory usage is actually not something to be concerned about. That is the OS giving over chunks of otherwise unused ram to the Skyrim process. Try filling your ram a bit by loading a large excel spreadsheet or two in the background, then watch the skyrim process memory. You will find it will remain at a more stable usage. Because the value it is showing is available memory to the process at that point in time, not what it is exactly using as such.

The other issue is that I use Windows 10 so unless Microsoft adds some sort of workaround to allow more than 4 GB of video memory for DX9, SE is going to be way more heavily moddable than Oldrim.  And no I'm not willing to go back to an OS that no longer gets any updates just for Skyrim.

That said, for now I'm still playing Oldrim because there ARE still several must have mods for me that aren't available yet on SE.  And if you prefer Oldrim nothing is stopping you from ignoring SE forever.

why would use windows 10? its spyware/malware with dumbed down inerface pretending to be os. even without research, fact that microsoft gave it for free should tell something. and by tell i mean yell scam.

"Windows 10 Spying is worse than I ever imagined"

You can tweak the interface so it looks and behaves almost identical to Windows 7, it just has the retarded tablet interface if you don't change it.  Privacy is a legit issue but there are so many technology companies spying on you, you'd have to become a hermit and go live in a tent somewhere to avoid it and that's before you even start talking about the NSA.  Overall, after I fixed the stupid tablet interface when I first upgraded, I like Windows 10 better than 7.

im sorry but u got rationale it to me cause i cant grasp it;

1)u admit new os interface (and this whole point of os; functional interface) is shit unless u mod it by yourself. in other words u have to bother to find out how to mod, then download proper non microsoft approved programs etc from third source etc just to make it acceptable.

2)u admit malware (hence also i would expect bloating system by built in spamware) is worse than in previous win os.

3)u (presumably) are aware that dx 12 is scam, utter garbage that decreases performance in all cases, only designed to sell win10

4)u are probably aware that win 10 (probably partly because of spyware) is much slower and resource hungry

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/my-windows-10-slower-than-my-windows-7/2c335d91-f42e-48bf-b09c-76d13db46ab3

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2751321/windows-feels-alot-slower.html

and yet your opinion is that u prefer win 10 to 7? really? what, u got win 10 with new pc and didnt want to bother with reinstalling other os? cause thats only semi rational excuse i can come up with.

I doubt most people that talk about Win10 been a spyware are aware of and have blocked the 3 "telemetry" updates for Win7...

Most of this thread is a bit absurd. You can't have a reasonable conversation with people who seem to have strong opinion, believes and feelings about something they never tried/experienced. Not sure when this became so acceptable. It used to be that to talk out of your arse was considered shameful and lame. Nowadays everybody has their own set of facts and truths, and most strangely - hate. Sometimes I just need to stop and think why do people nowadays hate so strongly so many things and mostly things they have no idea about. 

Sometimes they will swallow, sometimes they will spit it out on your nice black trousers. (Just in case it's analogy time).

Actually my somewhat major peeve with SSE at the moment is it's totally weird memory management. Sometimes it's toodles along around the 4gb mark, other times in very similar situations it rises up to 6gb, (and have seen it grab 9gb). Not talking GPU memory, (which is always circa 3.5gb on my setup). Yes it's a heavily modded game for something without the extender - but nothing which is actually out of the mainstream. But is still quite weird.

This may be just how the engine works. The game does  not allocate each memory block from OS - instead it has a "heap" it allocates memory blocks from. Once the process gets an extra memory block from OS due to high resource demand (you've entered a busy area, for example), there is no point in returning the memory back to OS - because you may need that block the next second. A lot of garbage-collector based runtimes behave like that. It's not a sign of a bad behaviour or a memory leak.

Free RAM is wasted RAM. That's why OSes try filling it with various caches, the game may conserve some blocks for faster allocation etc.

Actually my somewhat major peeve with SSE at the moment is it's totally weird memory management. Sometimes it's toodles along around the 4gb mark, other times in very similar situations it rises up to 6gb, (and have seen it grab 9gb). Not talking GPU memory, (which is always circa 3.5gb on my setup). Yes it's a heavily modded game for something without the extender - but nothing which is actually out of the mainstream. But is still quite weird.

This may be just how the engine works. The game does  not allocate each memory block from OS - instead it has a "heap" it allocates memory blocks from. Once the process gets an extra memory block from OS due to high resource demand (you've entered a busy area, for example), there is no point in returning the memory back to OS - because you may need that block the next second. A lot of garbage-collector based runtimes behave like that. It's not a sign of a bad behaviour or a memory leak.

Free RAM is wasted RAM. That's why OSes try filling it with various caches, the game may conserve some blocks for faster allocation etc.

Exactly, it's otherwise unused ram so it is not something to be concerned about. If you had say 4GB of ram available to skyrim it would quite happily live within that 'budget'. 

You can tweak the interface so it looks and behaves almost identical to Windows 7, it just has the retarded tablet interface if you don't change it.  Privacy is a legit issue but there are so many technology companies spying on you, you'd have to become a hermit and go live in a tent somewhere to avoid it and that's before you even start talking about the NSA.  Overall, after I fixed the stupid tablet interface when I first upgraded, I like Windows 10 better than 7.

im sorry but u got rationale it to me cause i cant grasp it;

1)u admit new os interface (and this whole point of os; functional interface) is shit unless u mod it by yourself. in other words u have to bother to find out how to mod, then download proper non microsoft approved programs etc from third source etc just to make it acceptable.

2)u admit malware (hence also i would expect bloating system by built in spamware) is worse than in previous win os.

3)u (presumably) are aware that dx 12 is scam, utter garbage that decreases performance in all cases, only designed to sell win10

4)u are probably aware that win 10 (probably partly because of spyware) is much slower and resource hungry

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/my-windows-10-slower-than-my-windows-7/2c335d91-f42e-48bf-b09c-76d13db46ab3

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2751321/windows-feels-alot-slower.html

and yet your opinion is that u prefer win 10 to 7? really? what, u got win 10 with new pc and didnt want to bother with reinstalling other os? cause thats only semi rational excuse i can come up with.

You don't need to download anything to tweak the interface to look like Windows 7 just enable/disable various options from within the menus.  It doesn't require editing any files or using regedit or anything like that.

Windows 10 does send info back to Microsoft that from what I understand is very hard if not impossible to stop but I wouldn't call it malware just because I disagree with the privacy options.  It's not like MS is going to steal your CC # or install cryptolocker on your system.

As far as I know every OS MS has ever made has been more resource hungry than the one before it.  I doubt that will ever change.  But ram is cheap and so is disk space.  As for performance on the OS itself I haven't seen a noticeable difference.  It's close enough that I'm fine with it.

Security is a different matter.  Windows 10 gets updates so by definition it is more secure than an OS that doesn't.  Windows Defender is better than MS Security Essentials while still being relatively nonintrusive.  To me an adblocker is actually more important for security than an antivirus program.  Advertising is by far the biggest source of malware I will ever be exposed to and an adblocker does a reasonable job of mitigating that threat.  And I upgraded from 7 by choice, not by buying a new computer. 

If you prefer Windows 7 that's fine, keep using it.  I've also started modding up my Skyrim SE install in preparation for SKSE64 being released soon.  So I'm using a game with a crappy console interface by choice because I know that as soon as SKSE64 comes out the modding community will fix it and start porting over most of my favorite Oldrim mods as well.

Nowadays everybody has their own set of facts and truths, and most strangely - hate. Sometimes I just need to stop and think why do people nowadays hate so strongly so many things and mostly things they have no idea about. 

Agreed. Hating inanimate objects seems unhealthy. Like punching a chair because you stubbed your toe on it.

SSE is behaving 10x better than the Oldrym. I have 33 mods installed for now and it works amazing. Smooth. No CTD's. Once the SKSE comes out in month and a half and best mods get ported, everyone will love it. 

Tick tick tick.. just counting the time until Yatol sees this and claims it is all an illusion or that you are working for Bethesda or a multitude of other reasons why you are in fact wrong.

To me an adblocker is actually more important for security than an antivirus program.  Advertising is by far the biggest source of malware I will ever be exposed to and an adblocker does a reasonable job of mitigating that threat.  And I upgraded from 7 by choice, not by buying a new computer. 

If you prefer Windows 7 that's fine, keep using it.  I've also started modding up my Skyrim SE install in preparation for SKSE64 being released soon.  So I'm using a game with a crappy console interface by choice because I know that as soon as SKSE64 comes out the modding community will fix it and start porting over most of my favorite Oldrim mods as well.

lol, that makes no sense. u dont want spam so u pick os that is engineered to get revenue from commercials and clogging up your bandwith and cpu to gather data to capitalize on it.

i rememeber when i was fixing piece of shit ui of win 7 to have at least basic functionality of win XP (which i still use) i had to download bunch of programs that have to run all the time along with windows 7 not to mention bit reg tinkering etc. maybe windows ui 10 is not so bad. i mean they are not retarded enough to make in not remember windows position and size which is perhaps most important...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3fnhqs/windows_10_doesnt_remember_window_position_and/

oh they didnt fixed it.

frankly what i'd prefer (i dont have another ssd and time/will to bother with it right now) is to have 64 bit version of windows xp as my prime boot os. the only problem is graphic drivers support, also i dont think it fully recognizes/uses haswell i7, although it may be cause ive done tests on 32 bit xp version.  

Stable, pretty out of the gate (sans the old normal map issues), and a lot of the mods I used in Oldrim are already re-released or easily converted. There is even plenty of sex prior to SKSE...SE(?) with Flower Girls and Dark Investigations SE. Sure, I'm looking forwards to Sexlab, but it's already very playable.

Stable, pretty out of the gate (sans the old normal map issues), and a lot of the mods I used in Oldrim are already re-released or easily converted. There is even plenty of sex prior to SKSE...SE(?) with Flower Girls and Dark Investigations SE. Sure, I'm looking forwards to Sexlab, but it's already very playable.

Definitely.  I've actually already switched over due to the stability and performance.  Most of my favorite mods have already been converted in some form and a lot of the Oldrim textures work for cases where there's not an SE version.  In fact I can load higher quality textures in SE than I can in Oldrim and it still runs faster. 

So my SE game already looks better than my Oldrim game with the exception of the Body replacers and Flower Girls already has plugins for several sex mods.  Of the mods that have been converted, even the mods I gave up on in Oldrim due to stability issues have been working flawlessly with no crashes in SE.  Just need SKSE64 now so the rest gets converted, although I'm guessing I'll lose Wyrmstooth.

Edit:  After quite a bit more testing I have finally managed to get SE to crash but only by loading up as many conflicting mods as I could find to basically crash it on purpose.  The only crashes I've seen so far are the easily to fix kind too that happen every time at the same point if you do the same thing that crashed you before.  I have never seen any random unexplained crashes.  So the few I have gotten, it's trivial to identify which mod was causing it.

Here is main reason why I will hesitate to move to SE, gonna miss those features though

1111111111111111111111.jpg

Yeah, for me SSE ENB's lack of features isn't translating as an improvement in it's performance either, the opposite actually. And so far none I've tried were so much better than a decent Reshade that it was worth that cost. On the plus side, I remember back in the day, being enticed into using ENB because of better shadows, god rays, and DoF. While not up to the same standard as a decent ENB, at least the basic engine offers these out of the box. 

• 4 weeks later...

242 mods installed, 171 plugins, 153 hours played so far with zero crashes aside from initial testing of individual mods.  This includes mods that were notoriously crash happy in legacy Skyrim for me, they work flawlessly in SE.  I can't even imagine playing legacy Skyrim for 2 or 3 months straight without a crash.

I'm using texture mods that would bring legacy Skyrim to it's knees on my system (as in less than 10 FPS or an outright crash) and I get no slowdowns at all in SE.  I'm ready for SKSE now :)

I love the ENB's in Old Skyrim. But boy, oh boy, did Old Skyrim taught me to be patient in my life? Yes, it was almost like a budhist teacher telling me to breathe in and breathe out every time it crashed when I was past a 5 minute walk from my prior save file on the world map, or when I entered a dungeon with 3 mages and the decal went haywire. When it crashes and send me back to the save on the dungeon's entrance, Old Skyrim tells me "be water, my friend" and I kept playing.

Then Special Edition came and although I don't have a ENB, nor SKSE, for the first time I could install immersive partrols, warzone, cities overhauls, monster mod, immersive creatures, textures, parallax, flora overhaul, increased the uGrids to load, new Lods, everything and more together, and jesus fucking christ I never crashed ONCE. No infinite loading screens, no blue/grey textures with immersive armors/weapons items, no black faces nor bodies with 4k skins, etc.

Mother forgive me, Old Skyrim is a game I'll never forget, but no matter what comes ahead with SE support, it's time to move on.

For me there is only one Skyrim and that is that ORIGINAL!

SSE is a fraud on the Skyrim fan's, because Bethesda does not get enough money!  ;) 

and there is nothing more to To say.

Doesn't them words belong in the new criticism thread not here? :dodgy: This thread isn't a about criticism.

It is no CRITICISM, it's the truth!  :P

And I answered to the question, which is better *Skyrim or Skyrim SSE*.

Sounds more like sour grapes to me.

I love the ENB's in Old Skyrim.

I don't.

ENB always was the biggest source of frustration for me. Install this required mod and that mod, install ENB, try it just to find out that something that looked nicely on author's screenshot had serious flaws. Like pitch-black shadows in a middle of a day. Or non-working night eye. Or non-working fade to black so you can see clearly what you're not supposed to see. Or brightly-lit dungeons. Or terrible drop of framerate. Most of the time - a combination of all above.

Making graphics good for a gameplay is vastly different from making attractive photos. Those cheesy effects like DoF, lens and bloom look nicely on static pictures, but are absolutely terrible during the game. Why would I want the sun to blind me with "sun rays" effect while aiming at enemy archer 100 meters away from me?

Look at the best graphics in the games today. Like the one in DOOM 2016. You don't have any of that cheesy stuff there.

I won't miss ENB at all. Having nice palette and soft shadows, like you have in SSE + some mod to change the lighting in interiors (ELFX or Relighting Skyrim) is more than enough for me. I'd better throw in full SMIM and Verdant or SFO and some better textures - while keeping solid 60 fps all the time.

Archived