Kimy

Devious Devices Framework Development/Beta

There is something i'm not sure if i get it right:

You removed the options from the MCM because every mod using the framework is supposed to offer those by itself, is that correct?

What happens if i have two different mods with 2 different settings? Will they overwrite each other and only settings from one will work or should they work parallel?

Is that something we could test? Would require two mods using the dev version and it's possibilities... i don't know how much work it is to add that stuff. Deviously captured is small, might be a good option for a test version, Cursed Loot might be an overkill for that. I think it might be a good idea to test that, too.

Or is that already planned but you want to fix stuff first, or is that considered fail safe and doesn't need testing?

And finally, i hope i won't make myself too unpopular here with "that topic again":

If it's supposed to work with several mods with several settings anyways, i would really appretiate if the MCM options weren't entirely removed from DDi but considered "default". Means, every mod that alters those settings has a higher priotity, but me as a user can change stuff for mods which don't change settings and don't offer it. The point is that some mods are abandoned or still supported, but offer only raw support for DD. I'm afraid some of those mods would rather remove the support than adding an entire page for settings. And for non-quest items, your default values are sometimes too harsh for my taste. It depends on my mood if i rather want to play DD or Skyrim. wink.png

The way I understand it is that there are no global difficulty, but every item has its own. So any settings in a mod should only apply to the custom items from that mod.

And if I recall, kimy said she was going add settings in the mcm for the items supplied in dda/ddi/ddx.

Correct. Escape/difficulty settings will be set on a per device basis. Default values will be provided for backwards compatibility and generic devices but otherwise we're trying to give modders more control over their custom items without having to duplicate scripts or use other janky workarounds.

You removed the options from the MCM because every mod using the framework is supposed to offer those by itself, is that correct?

What happens if i have two different mods with 2 different settings? Will they overwrite each other and only settings from one will work or should they work parallel?

Is that something we could test? Would require two mods using the dev version and it's possibilities... i don't know how much work it is to add that stuff. Deviously captured is small, might be a good option for a test version, Cursed Loot might be an overkill for that. I think it might be a good idea to test that, too.

Or is that already planned but you want to fix stuff first, or is that considered fail safe and doesn't need testing?

And finally, i hope i won't make myself too unpopular here with "that topic again":

If it's supposed to work with several mods with several settings anyways, i would really appretiate if the MCM options weren't entirely removed from DDi but considered "default". Means, every mod that alters those settings has a higher priotity, but me as a user can change stuff for mods which don't change settings and don't offer it. The point is that some mods are abandoned or still supported, but offer only raw support for DD. I'm afraid some of those mods would rather remove the support than adding an entire page for settings. And for non-quest items, your default values are sometimes too harsh for my taste. It depends on my mood if i rather want to play DD or Skyrim. wink.png

The way I understand it is that there are no global difficulty, but every item has its own. So any settings in a mod should only apply to the custom items from that mod.

And if I recall, kimy said she was going add settings in the mcm for the items supplied in dda/ddi/ddx.

^ This

Each DD mod should provide difficulty settings for its own content and its own content -only-. E.g. DCL has settings affecting its traps or the combat defeat scenarios. But nothing you can set in DCL affects any content in Captured Dreams or Shout like a Virgin.

This is the better approach compared to letting the framework dictate global settings that limit the content mods in what they can do. "One size fits all" never works really well, anywhere. ;)

^ This

Each DD mod should provide difficulty settings for its own content and its own content -only-. E.g. DCL has settings affecting its traps or the combat defeat scenarios. But nothing you can set in DCL affects any content in Captured Dreams or Shout like a Virgin.

This is the better approach compared to letting the framework dictate global settings that limit the content mods in what they can do. "One size fits all" never works really well, anywhere. ;)

Ahhh, guess i got that wrong. Cursed Loot for example uses afaik some generic devices as well, and i thought i have to set -everything- in each mod i use for those as well. With settings in DDi for those and custom items for other mods it makes much more sense. :) Sounds like there is no chance for a conflict and it'll hopefully work fine without testing. ;)

That there are options for modders to make specific settings for custom items is great as well, i usually play and enjoy the quests. Only generic devices can become quite annoying imho when they are equipped too often and with the current default values.

Ahhh, guess i got that wrong. Cursed Loot for example uses afaik some generic devices as well, and i thought i have to set -everything- in each mod i use for those as well. With settings in DDi for those and custom items for other mods it makes much more sense. :) Sounds like there is no chance for a conflict and it'll hopefully work fine without testing. ;)

That there are options for modders to make specific settings for custom items is great as well, i usually play and enjoy the quests. Only generic devices can become quite annoying imho when they are equipped too often and with the current default values.

You can already see the new system in action if you download and install the latest DDi from GitHub. All the items in DDi already have been set up for the new system and if you're familiar with Tes5Edit you can inspect the changes in detail.

The default values for all other (not updated) devices is also working already, you can see that in effect when inspecting any non-DDi devices with the in-game functions.

I have a feeling that the new device and mod based difficulty system is going to be epic. I fiddled around with some of the updated devices after copying them from the latest dev. build of DDi into a new .esp in Tes5Edit, and there is so much potential. Even I as a very inexperienced modder could quite easily change the number of keys for the devices (for example, 4 for cuffs, 2 for gloves, etc.), change the device escape difficulty, lock shield timer, access difficulty, and even include the new system were items can block each other (stuff like gloves not being able to get unlocked as long as cuffs are worn). So if a modding noob like me can do that, I can't wait to see what our real modders will come up with!

:cool:

Hi everyone, :)

first: I've been testing current DDi adn DDx Beta for a while now and both work as intended. 

But while using the straitjacket dresses the ties between the legs looked kinda weird in SL scenes and brought me to an :idea:  how you could make that item type more interesting and appealing (in my oppinion) .

My Idea would be that you change the skirt part of the straitjacked to an individual piece which gets unequipped and thrown to the ground during sex scenes and that gets reequipped after the sex scenes.

Now in reality the slowdown of the scirt would depend on how tight someone binds the straps. I could imagine to create an rng generator who determines after each sex scene how tight the sexpartner(agressor) ties the straps and how strongly you will get slowed by the strao. Maybe even with the option to fix the behavior for individual characters (meaning after 1st bind they will always bin you the same way). I could also imagine to configurate a chance that the binder ties the straps too loose resulting in a fall off of the scirt after a configurable time(turning the Straitjacket Dress into a normal Straitjacked). 

Is there a reason why armbinders now disable sneaking?

Bound controls will be getting reworked. We're currently just removing all ZAP functionality from our devices so expect things to be horribly broken until I get around to replacing it with native handling.

Is there a reason why armbinders now disable sneaking?

Bound controls will be getting reworked. We're currently just removing all ZAP functionality from our devices so expect things to be horribly broken until I get around to replacing it with native handling.

Does zaz know about this? I heard they are back into modding and it would be a shame to waste their talent. It is mostly curiosity.

Chris knows. But it doesn't matter either way. Xaz, who was responsible for the coding side of ZAP, is still MIA, so the parts of ZAP that are relevant to us remain inadequate for our needs. Ultimately, ZAP limits us in areas that we are interested in expanding. And because none of us can commit to taking it over, we cannot trust it not to be abandoned or inherited by the wrong person again.

But regardless of anything else, we've been planning to do it for a long time. The recent incident merely convinced us that it was time to finally put the plan into motion. Given the uncertain future of ZAP, we have concluded that freeing DD from its dependency is the only way forward.

Both ZAP and DD are great frameworks that belong in a good BDSM oriented load order and will continue to do so. But there is no good reason why they should be dependent on each other. ZAP is about furniture bondage, DD is about restraints. What we're doing is just more clearly defining the mods' roles as they have evolved over time.

I am not going to ask for an ETA, but I would like to know, how close do you think the update is to the next public, percentage wise or general work for me.

That's asking for an ETA, just with different words. :D

And as Princessity explained above, even if we'd otherwise be willing to give ETAs (which we generally do not), in this particular case we -really- don't even know ourselves. We're making drastic changes to pretty much all DD systems. The result will be a new major version. But I am pretty confident that it will be worth waiting for! :)

I am not going to ask for an ETA, but I would like to know, how close do you think the update is to the next public, percentage wise or general work for me.

And as Princessity explained above, even if we'd otherwise be willing to give ETAs (which we generally do not), in this particular case we -really- don't even know ourselves. We're making drastic changes to pretty much all DD systems. The result will be a new major version. But I am pretty confident that it will be worth waiting for! :)

Oh boy, I bet that when you do release, you are gonna be flooded with bug reports detailing a lot of bugs that get overlooked.

Oh boy, I bet that when you do release, you are gonna be flooded with bug reports detailing a lot of bugs that get overlooked.

Well, that's why we're doing public testing. The idea is that the code underwent rigorous testing -before- we release the thing. ;)

Are you still after ideas/suggestions? for the mod? The thing that I've been waiting for for a while is getting chains attaching the sides of a belt to the thighbands, since that's a thing you can do with real ones, and it would also explain why the thigh cuffs don't fall down (Because they totally would).

Are you still after ideas/suggestions? for the mod? The thing that I've been waiting for for a while is getting chains attaching the sides of a belt to the thighbands, since that's a thing you can do with real ones, and it would also explain why the thigh cuffs don't fall down (Because they totally would).

That's on the to-do list already!

Sweet!

In the meantime then, is there a list of all the new features/gear added in dev that you need us to test in this dev build? I've found various different new fangled items in it, but I can't be sure I've seen everything since I'm just pushing buttons in the console.

Right now, the biggest changes are the new escape system, the new animation filter I uploaded last night, the new system for handling quest items + related debug/emergency removal function, and the new implementation for wrist restraints. These need thorough testing! :)

Xaz, who was responsible for the coding side of ZAP, is still MIA, so the parts of ZAP that are relevant to us remain inadequate for our needs.

Works for me. I'll continue testing these devices for the sake of EVIL! I mean kinky shit :P

Right now, the biggest changes are the new escape system, the new animation filter I uploaded last night, the new system for handling quest items + related debug/emergency removal function, and the new implementation for wrist restraints. These need thorough testing! smile.png

Might I also ask for some more variety of rope bindings to DD? Especially, i have the traditional japansese style in my mind: https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Hojōjutsu or like it is better known "Shibari" or "Kinbaku".

Would this be possible for the DD approach?

Right now, the biggest changes are the new escape system, the new animation filter I uploaded last night, the new system for handling quest items + related debug/emergency removal function, and the new implementation for wrist restraints. These need thorough testing! smile.png

Might I also ask for some more variety of rope bindings to DD? Especially, i have the traditional japansese style in my mind: https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Hojōjutsu or like it is better known "Shibari" or "Kinbaku".

Would this be possible for the DD approach?

Considering "Shout Like a Virgin" already has a rope harness, I don't see why not. You may have to get rid of the lockpicking option first. No reason to lockpick rope.

Considering "Shout Like a Virgin" already has a rope harness, I don't see why not. You may have to get rid of the lockpicking option first. No reason to lockpick rope.

That's exactly what triggered my mind, when Kimy wrote about a new "escape system" :D

That's exactly what triggered my mind, when Kimy wrote about a new "escape system" :D

The new escape system already supports restraints that can't be lockpicked.