Centaur in the works, fully functional (update 04.05.2017 - nexus link pg 1)

XcOm04au

Hey man that is great news. I still think you should prioritize  what is important first - once that is done then do the centaur. I hope I can speak for the rest of the community, we have waited for a very long time to get something like this, I think we can wait a little longer haha.

Also a request to the community: I dont know whether or not there will be HDT mane or HDT tail for this centaur mod, but it would be really cool to see something like Horse renewal's HDT mane hair and HDT tail for this mod once this mod (assuming it actually works) gets off the ground.

Yeah, I've heard that before, but I just can't help myself.  I jump around.  It helps me stay fresh with the mods.  I guess it must work for me, we've produced some really good mods, just to name a few: Beasts of Tamriel, Sea of Spirits, Gorgon Race, Tsaesci Race, Witches' Festival. Of course our most popular mods are BoT and SoS.  On the HDT stuff for the Centaurs, I'm more than glad to let someone else take that on.  I've got more than enough on my plate at the moment to worry about that too.

Are you asking who is going to take on the centaur HDT stuff?  I was just saying that whoever wants to do it can.  I actually think that the HDT stuff for the horse's tail should work.  The way I've made everything, it uses the horse skeleton cobbled with the human one to make the centaur.  So, it should just be a matter of replacing the horse model in your game to change what the centaur uses.

wishnot4

Just an update, and I make no promises here.  But I've made some more headway on bringing playable centaur race to life.  I've created a functioning skeleton HKX file(needed for animation) I've learned how to combine the human and horse animations(I've only made the one so far though) and I've even got a partially functioning custom Havok project for them.  But there are still lots of bugs that I haven't even come close to figuring out.  The biggest of which is why they only play some of the animations and T-pose for the rest.  You might be thinking, well duh wishnot, you need to run fnis.  But fnis can't work on the centaurs', and it isn't because of the animations, it's because of the custom Havok project.  The way fnis works is by "hacking" the Havok projects, but that will break custom Havok projects(or at least that's what the guy who taught me how to make custom Havok projects told me, and so far he's the only one who's gotten a project to work.  Helped me make a whale's project to help me understand the process.

News!

Man, if you managed to do this, I'd be so happy to find out what you have to do to add completely new character model with new skeleton and animations.

Some time ago I wanted to create a mod with four legged dragon with wings. I did the model, animations which cover almost all movement and then... I found out it was impossible to add new creatures with custom skeletons to Skyrim.

If you finished this Centaur mod, I would love to watch/or read some kind of tutorial from you.

Good luck!

There have already been attempts at this from other people here who have failed. Not holding my breath on that. The author rather makes mermaids than a centuar? pshh....

I never said I'd rather make mermaids.  In fact, I could care less about them.  My team is making mermaids, so I learned how to make the tail animate in game.  And it does.  I do have a serious obsticle, I haven't figured out how to make the animations race exclusive.  So, my tail animations are overwriting the vanilla animations.  So, yes, I can make a centaur, it just will be some time.  I've got a lot on my plate, not including real life stuff.

Edit: by the way, from what I was told(can't read Russian, so not 100 percent on that) the guy who made the video used my functioning centaur mod to make the animations.  Yes, I made a functioning centaur mod back several months ago.  No, I haven't promoted it because it's only the NPC/Enemy version and it's ugly as hell.  The version I'm going to build will be a player character version as well.

This is awesome! You're awesome! I've been wanting a centaur follower in skyrim for like 2 years now. I'm certain I've posted about it at least once here. I've always imagined having one as a regular follower that could also be a mount. I wish all the luck in the world

What the hell is going on here? Where's the centaur?

I haven't released it yet.  I guess I could post the WIP version, but as I've stated, it is only partially working.  It T-poses for a lot of animations, though it does play the walk forward animation I made for it.

Man, if you managed to do this, I'd be so happy to find out what you have to do to add completely new character model with new skeleton and animations.

Some time ago I wanted to create a mod with four legged dragon with wings. I did the model, animations which cover almost all movement and then... I found out it was impossible to add new creatures with custom skeletons to Skyrim.

If you finished this Centaur mod, I would love to watch/or read some kind of tutorial from you.

Good luck!

Actually, to make you four legged dragon work, all you need to do is edit the dragon's skeleton HKX file, that is if you used the dragon's NIF skeleton as the base for your four legged version.  I can probably walk you through the process of editing it and the process of how to get your animations with custom bones in.  The first thing you will need is hkxcmd and depending on which version of 3ds max with HCT you have, you might need hktcnv as well.  You will also need notepad++ for the xml editing.  It's actually not as hard to edit the skeleton as everyone makes it out, but it is a lot of stuff.  Lots of steps and what have you.

Good luck!

Actually, to make you four legged dragon work, all you need to do is edit the dragon's skeleton HKX file, that is if you used the dragon's NIF skeleton as the base for your four legged version.  I can probably walk you through the process of editing it and the process of how to get your animations with custom bones in.  The first thing you will need is hkxcmd and depending on which version of 3ds max with HCT you have, you might need hktcnv as well.  You will also need notepad++ for the xml editing.  It's actually not as hard to edit the skeleton as everyone makes it out, but it is a lot of stuff.  Lots of steps and what have you.

My ultimate goal it to make my dragon a fallower with functionality similar to this mod:  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49702/? (in details: dragon would be able to fallow me on foot or in the air, I could ride on its back in the air or on land, it could attack enemies on the ground with its paws, it could sleep like every fallower.) But I would be happy if I managed to make it work as NPC at least.

I forgot to mention before I had done those aniamtions in Blender. After what I found out later it was pain to do anything in Blender and then trying adding it to Skyrim. Then I stopped working on my dragon due to that.

So all in all I will have to use 3ds Max. Which version of 3ds Max should I use? I know not all of them are compatible Skyrim and required tools. So I need: 3ds Max, hkxcmd, hktcnv, HCT (Havoc Content Tools, if I'm not mistaken?) and notepad ++. Anything else?

By the way, is there any limitation regarding how many polygons the model can have in Skyrim?

If I understood correctly, your method would allow me to add a new skeleton to all limbs and wings?

I would try to make my dragon work during Christmas holidays. I may need polish my dragon model, because I made it so it has similar amount polygons as the Skyrim's dragons and due to that It lacks some variety.

Thanks for telling me roughly what I should do. When the time comes, I would need your help tho ^^'

I haven't released it yet.  I guess I could post the WIP version, but as I've stated, it is only partially working.  It T-poses for a lot of animations, though it does play the walk forward animation I made for it.

How does it look like? You are free to boast of your achievements. Some video or picture, please.

Good luck!

My ultimate goal it to make my dragon a fallower with functionality similar to this mod:  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49702/? (in details: dragon would be able to fallow me on foot or in the air, I could ride on its back in the air or on land, it could attack enemies on the ground with its paws, it could sleep like every fallower.) But I would be happy if I managed to make it work as NPC at least.

I forgot to mention before I had done those aniamtions in Blender. After what I found out later it was pain to do anything in Blender and then trying adding it to Skyrim. Then I stopped working on my dragon due to that.

So all in all I will have to use 3ds Max. Which version of 3ds Max should I use? I know not all of them are compatible Skyrim and required tools. So I need: 3ds Max, hkxcmd, hktcnv, HCT (Havoc Content Tools, if I'm not mistaken?) and notepad ++. Anything else?

By the way, is there any limitation regarding how many polygons the model can have in Skyrim?

If I understood correctly, your method would allow me to add a new skeleton to all limbs and wings?

I would try to make my dragon work during Christmas holidays. I may need polish my dragon model, because I made it so it has similar amount polygons as the Skyrim's dragons and due to that It lacks some variety.

Thanks for telling me roughly what I should do. When the time comes, I would need your help tho ^^'

The versions of 3ds max that are good to use are max 2010 with hct 2010.2 or max 2012 with hct 2011.2(could be .3 not 100% on that). If you have the 2010 combo you don't need hktcnv, but if you have the 2012 combo, you'll need it to export the animations. The number of vertices very, but it is best to keep it under 5000 verts.  Not sure how many poly's that translates to. Pronphile has a thread that lists the animation programs you'll need for skyrim. And I've got no problem explaining the process.  In fact, when I have more time, I'm planning on writing a tutorial on custom bones.

How does it look like? You are free to boast of your achievements. Some video or picture, please.

I'll try to find time soon to take a picture of the centaurs.  Right at the moment they only time they look good is when they are playing the one custom animation I've made.  So, it'll have to wait until I've made up a few more animations before I'll take some shots.  I'm more focused on getting the Havok project working.

The versions of 3ds max that are good to use are max 2010 with hct 2010.2 or max 2012 with hct 2011.2(could be .3 not 100% on that). If you have the 2010 combo you don't need hktcnv, but if you have the 2012 combo, you'll need it to export the animations. The number of vertices very, but it is best to keep it under 5000 verts.  Not sure how many poly's that translates to. Pronphile has a thread that lists the animation programs you'll need for skyrim. And I've got no problem explaining the process.  In fact, when I have more time, I'm planning on writing a tutorial on custom bones.

I hope it is easy to find those older versions of 3ds Max. My model has 8535 vertices, I can't make it lower without losing mesh quality significantly.

Search bar cannot find a user called Pronphile, will you link me to him/her?

I'd love to read such tutorial :) I'd be great if there was a thread which contains all information you need to add new creature to Skyrim.

Here is the link to his main thread, it has a list of the items you'll need.  http://www.loverslab.com/topic/36314-3ds-max-skeleton-controller-rigs-draugr-v0132-2015-09-22/ Oh, and you'll need a BSA unpacker, I use the one for fallout. On the size of your mesh, depending on how you made it, you can go into blender and in edit mode select your entire mesh and then click on the mesh menu and go to scripts and then click on poly reducer(not the one with subdivision - just poly reducer).  Then you can reduce the mesh without messing it up.  You'd have to do this several times to get the mesh down below 5000.  You could also, depending on the NIF importer you get for 3ds max(I forgot, you need a NIF import/export script for 3ds max:) ) you can just separate pieces of the mesh.  This will make the over all NIF bigger, but it will allow for easier management of verts for the game. On the tutorial, it takes a while to make one and with all my projects I've got going, don't know when I'd have the time to work on it.

Here is the link to his main thread, it has a list of the items you'll need. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/36314-3ds-max-skeleton-controller-rigs-draugr-v0132-2015-09-22/ Oh, and you'll need a BSA unpacker, I use the one for fallout. On the size of your mesh, depending on how you made it, you can go into blender and in edit mode select your entire mesh and then click on the mesh menu and go to scripts and then click on poly reducer(not the one with subdivision - just poly reducer). Then you can reduce the mesh without messing it up. You'd have to do this several times to get the mesh down below 5000. You could also, depending on the NIF importer you get for 3ds max(I forgot, you need a NIF import/export script for 3ds max:) ) you can just separate pieces of the mesh. This will make the over all NIF bigger, but it will allow for easier management of verts for the game. On the tutorial, it takes a while to make one and with all my projects I've got going, don't know when I'd have the time to work on it.

Do I need dog skeleton from that link as a base for my dragon skeleton and from there I can expand it?

For what will I need BSA unpacker?

Sadly, the newest version of Blender doesn't have Poly Reducer and I can't find the script for newer version of Blender. Decimate cannot reduce polygons further without messing the mesh up. I would have to reduce polygons manually -_-

Sorry I ask so many questions I'm new in this field.

I'll try to find time soon to take a picture of the centaurs.  Right at the moment they only time they look good is when they are playing the one custom animation I've made.  So, it'll have to wait until I've made up a few more animations before I'll take some shots.  I'm more focused on getting the Havok project working.

Let it be a mere T-animation, no matter. The shots do not depict the animation specifically after all. As a centaur fan I need some eye-candy  ;)

Skyrim humans are awesome, horses are awesome, where are the awesome centaurs?

Sorry for my impatience

I realize this is a little unrelated, but have you considered making an anthro horse race with what you have? Just asking

Yes, I'm actually the guy that released the fully functioning NPC version over on the nexus.  It's ugly as heck though and the PC can't play it.  So, I've been tinkering with what I've learned to make a PC version.  I also have plans for a NPC spider lady daedra.  With my new development I can make lots of custom creatures.

Here is the link to his main thread, it has a list of the items you'll need. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/36314-3ds-max-skeleton-controller-rigs-draugr-v0132-2015-09-22/ Oh, and you'll need a BSA unpacker, I use the one for fallout. On the size of your mesh, depending on how you made it, you can go into blender and in edit mode select your entire mesh and then click on the mesh menu and go to scripts and then click on poly reducer(not the one with subdivision - just poly reducer). Then you can reduce the mesh without messing it up. You'd have to do this several times to get the mesh down below 5000. You could also, depending on the NIF importer you get for 3ds max(I forgot, you need a NIF import/export script for 3ds max:) ) you can just separate pieces of the mesh. This will make the over all NIF bigger, but it will allow for easier management of verts for the game. On the tutorial, it takes a while to make one and with all my projects I've got going, don't know when I'd have the time to work on it.

Do I need dog skeleton from that link as a base for my dragon skeleton and from there I can expand it?

For what will I need BSA unpacker?

Sadly, the newest version of Blender doesn't have Poly Reducer and I can't find the script for newer version of Blender. Decimate cannot reduce polygons further without messing the mesh up. I would have to reduce polygons manually -_-

Sorry I ask so many questions I'm new in this field.

No, you don't need the rig in his thread.  I was just pointing it out, because he has the list(and some links) to the items you need to animate.  The rig is just a tool to help with the animation process(i.e. when you are making your animations, so it's not needed, and I don't know how well it works with dragons.  Ask Pronophile, he knows a lot more about animations than I do.).  Since your dragon will have custom bones, you need the BSA unpacker to extract the game's dragon skeleton HKX file.  Then once you have the skeleton extracted, you'll have to use hkxcmd to convert it from a HKX to an XML file to edit it.  I think it might be best to P.M. me when you have gathered all the programs needed to work on animations.

Let it be a mere T-animation, no matter. The shots do not depict the animation specifically after all. As a centaur fan I need some eye-candy  ;)

Skyrim humans are awesome, horses are awesome, where are the awesome centaurs?

Sorry for my impatience

I'll try to find time soon to take some pics of them.  They are very WIP at the moment.

wishnot4

Yes, I'm actually the guy that released the fully functioning NPC version over on the nexus.  It's ugly as heck though and the PC can't play it.  So, I've been tinkering with what I've learned to make a PC version.  I also have plans for a NPC spider lady daedra.  With my new development I can make lots of custom creatures.

Holey shit! Awesome!

No, you don't need the rig in his thread. I was just pointing it out, because he has the list(and some links) to the items you need to animate. The rig is just a tool to help with the animation process(i.e. when you are making your animations, so it's not needed, and I don't know how well it works with dragons. Ask Pronophile, he knows a lot more about animations than I do.). Since your dragon will have custom bones, you need the BSA unpacker to extract the game's dragon skeleton HKX file. Then once you have the skeleton extracted, you'll have to use hkxcmd to convert it from a HKX to an XML file to edit it. I think it might be best to P.M. me when you have gathered all the programs needed to work on animations.

Thanks for explaination. :) Yes, I'd send you pm as soon as I have free time and gather all programs I need. Probably within a week or 1,5 week.

wishnot4

Holey shit! Awesome!

Okay, my bad.  I missed the anthro part of that statement.  I made a fully functioning NPC centaur and released it on the nexus as a resource.  I could make a anhtro horse race, but I honestly have no desire to do so.  But as an example of what I've done, you can check out the Tsaesci race.  I rigged the new snake heads so they animate in game, also rigged their new tails.  I've got even better versions of their tails, but I'm having an issue with the HDT on the tails. 

Archived