JRDance | OSA module

JRDance - your OSA dance animation module

Welcome to the early release thread for this module! At the end you will find the installation and credits, but first I would like to request your assistance in further development and improvement for this module, it's nothing hard, but it can be fun, and anyone can do it. I'm new to this so I'll need all the help I can get. ;)

-- Description --

What you'd expect of a mod that allows your character or NPCs to play dance animations acompanied by audio, with an array of features to bring the dance to life. Brought to you by the power of OSA.

-- What I need help with --

- Feedback, of course. Every opinion will be taken into account, do please check the "to do" list first before asking for something I list there though;
- Finding duplicate dance animations, I'm already aware of many, but I'd also like your opinion on whether one duplicate plays better than the other or if they're the same to you, and letting me know about any typos and other silly mistakes;
- Selecting royalty free music and songs to match the dance animations, I'll try but I don't have the best music sense myself. You can find some links to sources where you can find some  audio further down this thread;
- Credit atribution, I do my best to find and credit the animation work included in this module, but we're talking about hundreds of animations that I  usually find packaged in bulk, and I'm very unfamiliar with this community. If you have any information towards any missing credits or about creators whom I should request personal permission to include any works contained here please message me. I'll really apretiate it!
- Send me new dance animations that haven't yet been included! Just make sure to obtain permissions and source info.

-- Current version (0.3) features --

- Basic navigation between dance animation lists;
- Playing dance animations for a single NPC or your player character;
- Basic insertion of expressions during dance animations (mostly adoration or tenderness for now);

-- To do list --

Note: I know some of these features are pretty essential, the reason I'm starting to release this module so early is to seek help for the topics listed previously. Please keep that in mind and be patient.

- Better navigation menu with text lists (should be available with the next big OSA release);
- Playing audio during dances (to be added with a future OSA release);
- Filter current list of soundtracks and add a new selection of apropriate soundtracks to match the animations;
- Support for dances involving multiple actors (to be added with a future OSA release);
- Better handling of expressions (I need to look further into this);
- Camera support (Eventually, I hope? I need to look further into this);
- Lip sync for songs (to be added with a future OSA release, but low priority);
- A lot of little things, no surprise there.

-- Requirements --

-- Installation --

Simply drop all the files in the download list into your Skytim folder or add them via your favorite mod manager, then run FNIS for users, and you're done. If you're unfamiliar with FNIS check out their article.
If you check the JRDance.esp in your mod list it'll add some objects used for specific dances, load order priority shouldn't matter much. It'll be more essential once I start adding audio.

-- Updating --

Just overwrite and run FNIS for users again. That's it.

-- Usage --

TLDR for those familiar with OSA:
Simply run the JRDance module after selecting yourself or another dancer manually via the OSA menu, dont bother keybinding the module, keybinding it doesn't do anything for now.

For those less familiar with OSA I'll explain using the default OSA key bindings:
If you have OSA correctly installed you should be able to initiate the OSA menu by hitting the numpad "enter" key. Once the menu shows up use numpad "4","5","6","8" for navigating the menus, "7" to select and "1" to step back. Navigate up to "Library", select "JRDance" and select "Start". Once you have selected a dancer using the three upper functions select "Start Scene", if you've selected yourself as a dancer the selection navigation should show up, if you've selected another NPC you will now have to use the numpad "+" key while you point your crossair towards that NPC to open the OSA "Inspect" menu, navigate and select "Interact" followed by "Observe Scene" to gain control over the scene and have the dance selection menu show up.
Press numpad "." to end it.
Have fun!

-- Credits and honorable mentions --

Sources and credits towards the creation and/or conversion of the dance animations, as well as sources of inspiration, in no particular order:

- OSA  (Skyrim Ascendancy Engine) and it's creator CEO for this amazing engine as well as FNIS, SKYUI and SKSE for making all this possible;
- dualsun for some pretty idles you can see during dance selection;
- Clone Real for his wonderful dances and conversions, check out his channel, there's new stuff all the time;
- Shake It for allowing me to use their conversions and encouragement;
- Shake It Some More for bringing more animations into Skyrim;
- The RSV Dance packs, which include some of the best animations you can find in almost any dance mod;
- Dance Animation Modder Resource by Umpa, also present in multiple mods;
- Feng Wu / Dance Together mod: can no longer find the original file source. Assistance is apretiated, some amazing work here as well;
- And most of all, the biggest thank you to all original animation pack creators!
If you're part of this category please contact me so I can list your name and plug your work if I haven't already. If you would otherwise prefer to pull your work from this project contact me also and I'll work it out ASAP. Thank you for your creations everyone!
- You, yes I mean you. No, not me, you, you silly.

If you have any info regarding any original animation creators I've missed and any links to plug their work I'd love to have it to add it here!

--- Soundtrack credits ---

Here I'd like to add the source and credits of any sound track to be added to this module. By looking at the dance animation titles you should be able to find some of the songs that they're been built for, if you're familiar with communities such as the Vocaloid project you might be able to tell me if there are any tracks that I'd be allowed to package and distribute with this mod legally. I'll be looking into them one by one myself later but you could give me a head start.
Nevertheless, I do know much of the original audio can't be included, so I also intend to find alternate music that allow non-commertial distribution that match the mood of these animations. I'll list some sources where you can find such music, if you feel like this is something you'd have fun doing please check them out and link your sugestions to me! And hey, if you happen to be a composer yourself feel free to share your work with us too. ;P

-- Helping me with soundtracks --

Sources of free music (never send me downloaded files, send me links to the source page, as I need to confirm the license and the information that must be added into the credits):

I might not necessarily include anything you select for me, but if I find your selection fits the dance and others agree I will at the very least credit you along with the creators. Show me your music sense. Show me what you've got!

Progress of dances I've already matched to a new soundtrack:

- All of "ShakeIt!" dances (100%);
- Running a second pass through "ShakeItSomeMore!" dances (90%);
- Nearly all of the "Dance Together" dances (95%)
- Nearly all of the Clone Real dances (95%);
- Nearly all the Misc Dances (95%).

-- Download --

Note: this is not a full release yet, you will be downloading an early testing version of this module. Please keep this in mind, you are bound to find issues, please calmly report them here as you provide feedback.

Download Link (v0.3). Overwrite with hotfix attached to this post.

-- Known Bugs and Issues --

- Bad links for the latter dances of the "Shake It Some More" category, expect some FNIS alerts (hotfix attached to this post).
- Wrong alignments for most of the dancers that include multiple actors.

-- Change log --

v0.3:
- Fixed many animation links, namely those inside the Clone Real, Dance Together and Misc categories, please browse these categories again, you'll see new stuff instead of repeated animations;
- Fixed a few broken animation links (would crash/hide the OSA menu);
- Replaced some dance titles for their full name, it should be much easier to find the related songs now;
- Added more Clone Real dances;
- Added a missing object (bed).

v0.2 (first release):
- added 27 dance animations related to the ShakeIt! mod;
- added 76 dance animations related to the Shakeit Some More! mod;
- added 68 dance animations related to the Fengwu/DanceTogether mod;
- added 39 miscelaneous dances;
- added 33 dance animations from Clone Real;

JRDance_0.3hotfix.zip

Are you going to include the Hip Swing Dance?

While running through all the animations I do remember seeing one that if not the same it was at least very close to the Hip Swing (Koshifuri) dance animation. But since I can't find it among the titled dances I guess I either have it wrongly labeled or it's still unlabeled inside the Misc category, I'll keep it in mind when I resume labeling dances that still don't have proper titles and doing double checks.

If you check out the mod and come across it please let me know!

Jerok,

You can use any of the music in my dance mod if you want.  Its style and pacing is varied, so you might not find something that fits your tastes.  The xwm files are included with the mod, but there are separate mp3s available on the download page so you can listen first.  Just credit Aanascent and list it as not for commercial use.

Jerok,

You can use any of the music in my dance mod if you want.  It's style and pacing is varied, so you might not find something that fits your tastes.  The xwm files are included with the mod, but there are separate mp3s available on the download page so you can listen first.  Just credit Aanascent and list it as not for commercial use.

Thanks migal!

Grabbing them now and I'll be checking them out soon.

Holly shit!!!!I was waiting for that kind of thing for ages now!You can't imagine how strongly i want you to succed in this mod of yours,especially the part of expressions,camera motion and lip sync!!

Two questions if i may,when you say handling of expressions,you mean to have the framework change the expressions automatically according to the mood of the dance (e.g happy face,sad face,surprised erc) from the get go or giving the player the option to change it during the dance using hot keys?What i would like to see (don't know if it's even possible with skyrim) is something similar with the mmd expressions where the dancers during the dance may smile,wink,have their mouths slightly open etc and all expressions change throughout the dance.

Do you plan on having also hot keys for stripping the dancer while dancing?(if it's doable of course)

p.s.

Do you need the fengudance mod?I have it as an archive in my hard drive

Thanks ^^

Currently I believe timed expressive changes during a dance is or will be possible. Stripping mid dance has been on the back of my mind since it would indeed be an appealing event during erotic dances such as the strip pole dance, I'm aware that the equipment management in OSA is undergoing heavy changes so I'll leave looking into that area for a later date, but it is on my mind.

For the user himself to switch expression or strip the character via hotkeys, I don't think it's something the engine has anything in place for, maybe if I started looking more into scripting I could attach something that would handle that on the side? Given my lack of knowledge user input is sadly going to be kept at the end of the pipeline until all the manual/scripted events are in place.

All in all my intent is to add into the project within the limitations of what OSA provides, I'm sure that I can slip in some unexpected features by bending the features OSA provides or will provide with a bit of creativity. OSA creator CEO has enough on his plate without more people asking for very specific features, so until his plate empties I'll either do what I can with what we have or poke my own nose deeper into code.

Currently I'm taking notes about broken animation links, duplicate dances, gathering soundtracks and so on but once OSA supports queueing audio I'll be going through each animation once again one by one to repair anything broken, reorganize, and assign an apropriate soundtrack. Something like that'd be released as version 0.7 I guess. Before that I might only make an earlier big release if we get the new navigation menu before audio support. I ended up rewriting the current navigation several times as I learned a couple of things so I know there are lots of silly mistakes I created with the rewrites, I'm looking forward to the new nav so I can redo it properly.

I do have a copy of that mod, but I wouldn't mind checking other copies. There are so many different modified versions of it out there that it wouldn't surprise me if it was different from mine.

Just so you guys get an idea of what I'm trying to do as far as applying new soundtracks to the dances, here's a practical example of a good result.

This is NOT the original audio the dance was made for, but I dare say I found a nice match for it within an entirely different genre, from begginning to end:

[video=youtube]

My editing tools are kinda bad so sorry for weird jumps or odd framerate. ;(

I won't limit myself to a genre, I'll just use whatever feels like a good match from memory after listening to plenty of music. And as you can see I won't just choose female lyrics for all of them. Them men got pleasant voiceboxes too. When lip sync gets in development I'll make sure you get to choose whether to play the dances with or without lip sync though.

This is amazing ! I've always dreamt about something like that. All the other dance mods have some issues with the way you can play and stop the animations,and are not as ergonomic as your module,in my opinion. Well,for the moment,i didnt noticed any real bugs,everything's fine. Really good work ! Endorsed ! I hope you're gonna keep updating this module and working on it,because thats really the best thing i ever used for dance animations. Thank you really much : )

Thanks. ^^

This version seems to just have a couple of broken links (if you find one OSA will crash and the menu dissapears, you can just close OSA and open it again) and a few mistakes only someone very familiar with all the animations would find. I'm glad things got uploaded properly on first try.

I'll keep working on this as long as I have the time and means, and probably won't stop updating until I run out of ideas. But given that I want to go as far as make a follower pack with dancers and a cell holding a customizable dancing studio it's not something that'll happen anytime soon.

Hi Jerok,

I can understand why you choose not to have the original songs in your mod (copyright issues etc),wouldn't it be better though if you followed the root Kasprutz took with his mod Selene Kate where he gave to users the ability to download the music on their own , convert the tracks to the appropriate format and then put the tracks in the Selene Kate mod by themselfs?In the Selene Kate it was just a rename and copy/paste issue and it was easy for everybody!Of course,i am not aware if this can be done with OSA but i think that it will spare you a lot of work having to find different tracks that match the dances,let alone the fact that there is a high risk that what you think that marches to others might not.Of course,it's your prerogative to go with your mod as you see fit but on the otherside,i would like to see the dances in skyrim followed with their original tracks because in my opinion the dances where made and based on the tracks themselfs,not the other way around!

Cheers!

Oh believe me, I get you.

I've discussed it somewhere else, but I'll leave a practical example here. Let's say we are close to version 1.0 or further of this mod, hopefully by then when you choose a dance like "Honey Honey" you will have these options:

- Honey Honey

- Honey Honey [ lip sync ]

- Honey Honey [ Regards from Mars ]

- Honey Honey [ Regards from Mars lip sync ]

In that scenario option 1 and 2 will be silent, unless you drop an audio file on x folder with x filename, in which case it'll play that audio. Folder location and filename will be documented in a text file included in the package. But in most cases if you happen to already have audio files for one of the mods I got dances from you should be able to just place those audio files on x folder and you're done, this is the main reason why I categorize the dances by the mod they were originally contained in, and I'm hesitant to remove duplicated animations.

As long as we can play certain audio formats in OSA we are covered, in the scenario that OSA won't like being pointed to an unexisting file I can always just leave a tiny placeholder file with a second of silent audio for you to overwrite.

So no worries, that train of thought is covered. ;)

These efforts towards finding alternate soundtracks come from not wanting to provide a silent dance mod for people that won't go through the effort of securing their own audio, but can still enjoy some entertainment for their ears while they watch the dances. Sadly I will for sure not find the best matches, best quality and the results will be subjective to taste, but I've gone as far as spending an hour to find a soundtrack that matches a single dance. T_T Because I think it's worth it.

[EDIT]

One more thing while I'm at it, anyone out there interested in giving feedback about the audio choices I've made so far? If you're commited to check out each dance included in a mod category from start to finish it's just a matter of playing the audio tracks in your browser and quickly start the dance ingame. I'll send you a file with the list.

[/EDIT]

hi jerok, great mod, thought i have an issue

i'm using familiar faces and have my old character as a follower and im trying to make her dance. but when i select all npcs in area and her name shows up, and i click start. nothing happens. do you know why? it works for all other npcs

hi jerok, great mod, thought i have an issue

i'm using familiar faces and have my old character as a follower and im trying to make her dance. but when i select all npcs in area and her name shows up, and i click start. nothing happens. do you know why? it works for all other npcs

It could be a race issue that blocks an unidentified race from being handled by OSA, I've been trying to remind myself about testing this mod on a child to make it dance but my assumption is that you can't, since the engine is also used for sexual content and that's usually managed through race. That's all that comes to mind for me, is the character a vampire or any sort of custom race?

You might get a better answer at the OSA thread. But I'd like to ask you if you've had familiar faces installed for a long time and if it's been working well for you, I used to always have it in my mod lists but this last time I ended up uninstalling it due to numerous issues caused by the mod becoming incompatible with the later versions of SKSE, SKYUI and so on. Which would cause broken MCM features, stuck alcoves and so forth.

Personally I'm eagerly waiting for the mod creator of familiar faces to release his new all more powerfull version of the mod, I loved that mod. If that version has any issues I'll make sure to try and contact the creator, last time I checked he was actively working on it. For now if the old version gives issues it won't surprise me.

MEGA is being annoying with some quota message that stops the download. Are you going to upload it on other sites too or only there?

Never had any issues with mega. But I'll take sugestions of other places where I can host big files, I don't mind upping them in two or three different hosts.

Got a bit tired of just going through the animations and playing different audio over and over. Took a break and shot a sample video of one I already processed:

[video=youtube]

I always have fun with these so I'll probably keep dropping videos here. Can't wait to get into more recent animations.

If this means anything, the highest ranking site could be a good place to start. I've never heard of them before but they shouldn't have bandwidth quotas that stop downloads midway.

EDIT: Any news about the Koshifuri dance?

I just tried the top pick since it seemed interesting, it only allows 50MB per file tops. This is why if possible I'd rather take suggestions of services people have actual experience with. Mega is second in that list btw.

Dropbox could be a nice choice but I'm reserving my account for work related files so I won't reupload this there at least. ;<

I haven't identified the Koshifuri dance yet. As I'm going through each dance to select an alternate soundtrack and make corrections I'm leaving the misc category for last, so it can very well take me more than a week to go through them all. It's not where I suspected at least, among the twerk and shake dances in the Shake It Some More group.

I know I've run it ingame before, but when you're messing with over two hundred of them, memory becomes fuzzy, if it's not here I'll see towards getting it.

Is there anything particular about this dance that pikes your interest? :/

Only that I like it. Though why not uploading your mod on Nexus then? I know mega is second, but it stops before getting even half of it down from some limit so it doesn't help. And I wouldn't suggest One or GoogleDrive as they are said to have privacy concerns.

Thanks for the info on those two. If I have the time I'll look around for an alternative tomorrow. If anyone has some advice, please share.

As for the nexus, I just don't see it as a good place to share a heavily unfinished product. Details aside, if I add it there and doesn't become popular straight away it'll just be buried under newer releases by the time I have it close to completion. If it becomes popular I'll just be flooded by requests of things already planned to be added or fixed.

It'll probably be on the nexus by the time this is a bit more organized and every track is able to play audio, but not any earlier. Features like lip sync can be added afterwards no problem as they're the proverbial cherry on top.

Hey, what exactly is the scope of the mod?

I mean do you only add modern music or are there plans for Skyrim's roleplaying aspects, such as bard songs?

Not planned as of now. It's not like I'd mind integrating the simple vanilla harp animation and just play songs with it, but hunting the songs down and getting permissions for those isn't something I want to add into my own plate right now.

Off the top of my head I remember "Immersive NPCs" and "Sofia" as containing custom songs, but that's where my awareness on that matter ends, if someone would like to contribute towards this end what I can offer is adding the audio and animation into the list.

I might add the default vanilla songs if I get requests for it, I just don't find it very interesting myself.