IMPORTANT: Site Upgrade Coming on July 1st

Will this site remain online till absolutly sure the other works correctly  ?? Last time the upgrade had to be reverted and allot of posts got lost in process.

This time the approach is different.

On July 5th this site (the old) will disappear (it will be read only for about one month, then disappear for real.)

And everything posted here in the last days will be lost.

So far the new site is working good enough.

Some problems to fix, but globally members should move to the new site.

Will this site remain online till absolutly sure the other works correctly  ?? Last time the upgrade had to be reverted and allot of posts got lost in process.

This time the approach is different.

On July 5th this site (the old) will disappear (it will be read only for about one month, then disappear for real.)

And everything posted here in the last days will be lost.

So far the new site is working good enough.

Some problems to fix, but globally members should move to the new site.

I find this a little alarming... that it's considered ready to go use now, and that you'd switch July 5 no matter what. Hopefully I'm not reading that correctly as I don't want to be negative. I love the new features/look of the new site. It's an improvement.

But the current state of not being able to reply in a support topic is a showstopper. I can't upload a new release now, because if there's anything wrong users would not be able to tell me.

I would hope that:

1. we are not told to globally start using the new site prime time with this issue unresolved, and
  2. you'd not think of making the switch final without fixing

IMO the inability to click Skyrim and see all files, and sort on most recent updated, is also a showstopper. You've posted that you can use a user defined steam... for me, it does not work. When I set it up to select just Skyrim files, no files are displayed. When I set it up for all files, it's not sorting by most recent updated, only by original post.

Even if the user defined stream works, it's too much to ask casual users to do. They won't and will just give up and leave. They won't even read that you can do it.

A year ago, this IMO, was also the biggest showstopper. Users are not going to find our content, and this one item alone is big enough to lose your traffic. Please don't go there.

Guest endgameaddiction

Ahem... I wonder if it would be possible to keep this old version online for the use of elderly members like myself?

The double spacing is what irks me. Just makes things look sloppy as hell. One of the reasons why I still prefer this one. Hopefully that's part of the upgrade/fix. But looking at the site, it looks nearly the same as this one. It really needs more of an naughty artistic look. Something more like shadman's site. i mean lets face it, no one is a saint here.

The double spacing is what irks me. Just makes things look sloppy as hell.

Use the alternate CSS.

Right now as injection, until Ashal will create the official new skin.

I also noticed that most of the topic names on the new main page are cut off, each ending in an elipsis.  I find that a little annoying.

Just go over the topic with the mouse and you will see the full name.

I'm on an Android smartphone.  I don't have a PC anymore.  And what I meant to say was the topic names on the new site are cut too short.  More than the old site.  That makes it more difficult to tell what kind of topic it is before clicking on it.

Sadly this cannot be changed by CSS, the name is truncated by PHP code.

Should we create a new account to log in the new site ?  When i use my current name and password, i receive the following message :  « The Display Name or Email Address you entered does not belong to any account. Make sure that it is typed correctly. »

Probably going to call off the move this go around and stick with the old/current site for now.

Still a few performance issues that need to be worked out. On top of that, just now after updating the theme to the latest version, all my custom CSS changes, which were put in the sanctioned "put your custom changes here" section no less, were all removed without warning so now I'll have to figure those all out again.

Guest endgameaddiction

Well that sucks. I've been ill and I had to refrain from being near my PC because of it and now that I'm somewhat better I see this news. Well, I hope you can get everything situated. We're all with you.

I hate IPB 4.x. It feels dumbed down and bloated. Bad performance, less functionality, bad usability. After this second attempt, I'd never want to go back to it, tbqh. Maybe we should think of another solution.

I hate IPB 4.x. It feels dumbed down and bloated. Bad performance, less functionality, bad usability. After this second attempt, I'd never want to go back to it, tbqh. Maybe we should think of another solution.

Do you have another solution that can be implemented? If so can you make sure it is comparable with the desires and feature set that is wanted for this site... if so please suggest it. This is the second time Ashal tried to complete the site change. I am sure if there comes along a better solution that he can admin he would be open to it. I am also pretty sure he has checked out other possible choices and decided against them for one reason or another (like not being able to transfer the massive data over easily without loosing something)

@Ashal...

They say the third time is a charm... :)

Keep the faith.

Do you have another solution that can be implemented? If so can you make sure it is comparable with the desires and feature set that is wanted for this site... if so please suggest it. This is the second time Ashal tried to complete the site change. I am sure if there comes along a better solution that he can admin he would be open to it. I am also pretty sure he has checked out other possible choices and decided against them for one reason or another (like not being able to transfer the massive data over easily without loosing something)

@Ashal...

They say the third time is a charm... :)

Keep the faith.

Here are some alternatives, although I know nothing about forum software and can't say if any of these are viable alternatives.

http://alternativeto.net/software/ip-board/?license=free

Do you have another solution that can be implemented? If so can you make sure it is comparable with the desires and feature set that is wanted for this site... if so please suggest it.

I would love to suggest a solution but I'm not well informed about the problems with the current version or the reasons for these upgrade attempts. All I can say at the moment is that upgrading to 4.x doesn't seem like a feasible/desirable option. My opinion about 4.x will not change until I've seen a 4.x forum which is as fast and usable as the current 3.x version. Keep in mind that while Nexus is a much larger site compared to LL, they still use the same 3.x version.

(like not being able to transfer the massive data over easily without loosing something)

this should be a non-issue.  It just takes a series of sql scripts and batch conversions on the data set to go from one forum structure to another.  If done correctly, it's not even that tedious, and very possible. I can tell this group is in-experienced with forum upgrades.  For example: they don't practice the full migration in a test environment first.  They just try to update the main website, fuck up, and inevitably experience some loss in the form of some people using the new site and some the old, during the migration phase.  

What they ought to do is:

• first clone the main site
  • second practice the upgrade, work out all the little details 
  • last implement real upgrade

I am happy with the new version. Especially on mobile devices it is far better than the old version. I found some small glitches (my screenshots are blacked out while uploading a new mod version) but over all I would be sad if Ashal gave up.

Especially on mobile devices it is far better than the old version.

Why is that a good thing? I agree that its design feels optimized for mobile use, which is one of the reasons I hate it. This is a modding forum for PC games and I don't use a bloody touch screen with my fingers.

Especially on mobile devices it is far better than the old version.

Why is that a good thing? I agree that its design feels optimized for mobile use, which is one of the reasons I hate it. This is a modding forum for PC games and I don't use a bloody touch screen with my fingers.

I provide a mod here and can answer questions while being on-the-road...