IMPORTANT: Site Upgrade Coming on July 1st

What will happen to attached files? Will they still work? I don't think they were working last time.

So what about this question I asked, has it been ignored by staff? If it has, I only see two reasons for it:

1. It had an obvious answer thus the question was stupid, in which case I apologize, I don't know how site upgrades work.

2. The attached files are as good as gone and the staff didn't want to cause a panic.

Either way, I hope someone will answer eventually.

Attachments will be fine - eventually.

After the main upgrade finishes and the site is accessible, some posts may be garbled and attachments seemingly missing. Posts and attachments get processed/upgraded in the background overtime, and because there is A LOT of posts and attachments, this can and will take 2-4 days to get through every single one.

I believe it does this background process chronologically from oldest to newest. As a result and it's as easy as changing some asc to a desc in a SQL query somewhere in the software, I may do that so that it does it in the reverse, so the newest (presumably the more relevant) stuff gets processed first.

For posts, this background process can be forced somewhat by editing the post and and re-saving it without changing anything - this should force it to parse/fix the garbled post and save it properly. I don't believe there is a similar workaround for attachments, just waiting.

So to answer your question; attachments will be fine, but not right out of the gate.

what will be the new design ?? don't tell me its same as the last one or same as bethesda.net that would be a disaster gain

Last time an up to date version of the current theme (CarbonBlue) wasn't available, it is now. So new design will be using the 4.1 version of the current theme. It being the same theme, it looks the same visually as the one used now, but with all the updated software elements.

what will be the new design ?? don't tell me its same as the last one or same as bethesda.net that would be a disaster gain

Last time an up to date version of the current theme (CarbonBlue) wasn't available, it is now. So new design will be using the 4.1 version of the current theme. It being the same theme, it looks the same visually as the one used now, but with all the updated software elements.

Will it have the same features or similar features...

Like friends list... etc?

(I believe someone mentioned this awhile ago on this thread)

I ask because there are people there on my list that are no longer here. It would be nice to keep them listed. If it can't then I fully understand.

I DID like being able to actually vote on author's mods with the new version. And to have colored text in my posts. I hope it runs faster this time. Thanks for your hard work, Ashal. People DO appreciate you. Like me. '3'

I DID like being able to actually vote on author's mods with the new version. And to have colored text in my posts. I hope it runs faster this time. Thanks for your hard work, Ashal. People DO appreciate you. Like me. '3'

Emoticons, foreground and background color are supported by the new IPB version (also if only from a set of pre-defined colors.)

The real question is bbCode, that is not supported by default.

Spoilers will be available. But the handling will be different.

About images and link, we will see in a couple of days.

And, in case you 9will) feel that "The Sky is falling!!!!", then just grab a skydiving board, and enjoy the epic time.

Remember, you are in the sky.

As a quick note/warning. The upgrade process will be starting at sometime around 1 AM EST. There shouldn't be much downtime on the current forums, just while I'm making the backup. The upgraded forums will be based off that backup as well; so while the new forums won't be accessible till much later in the day, anything posted after that 1 AM backup will not carry over. If all goes well, the updated forums should become accessible 12 or so hours later.

Will webms be supported? They weight less = less bandwith, its also obvious technology like png replaced bmp

They aren't supported natively as far as I'm aware. I remember looking for a way to deal with large GIF's last time this upgrade was attempted but couldn't find any good solution beyond removing gifs as a valid attachment type.

So I was considering developing a plugin for IPB 4.1 that automatically converts attached gif embeds to webm. Mostly because of the various animated gif related threads around here can get pretty ridiculous with 60MB gifs that autoload when you view the thread, but also figured it'd be a good way to learn IPB's new plugin API at the same time, so two birds with one stone. It's not an urgent priority though, will likely do it once the dust has settled after the update.

I'm one of the people who loved the change as well. And i usually freak out when things change (because they tend to look like shit). In this case when it changed a few months back, i loved it after like 5 or 6 minutes. can't wait

Not a long time to wait now.

This night the backup will be started. And just after the conversion process (that will take about half a day if no errors will rise.)

Progress posts will be added.

Is the "new" site up?

Touch, Touch, Pinch, Pinch. Alive we are still living. Now to get that damn succubus to make some more money.

Started yesterday. But it is the first phase (backup + starting the first conversion), and the first conversion may take a good 12 hours.

And, no, it is not yet up.

It will be announced by Ashal when new.loverslab.com it will be up.

i dont understand anything about what's going on (except LL go into an new version/style) , but i trust you guys....

i just hope 3 things

- nothing to change on profiles,etc..

- nothing to change for uploads

- better looking and user-friendly website style , actual one is good, but i think it need an little "relooking" on it :D

Still nothing?

Not yet.

But in the tests it took more than 12 hours.

And it is almost night time.

So probably some news tomorrow morning.