Behaviours [FONV] - Idles, run, headtracking etc.

View File

16/07/2016 - Uploaded Beta 2.5 READ INSTRUCTIONS ON BOTTOM, PLEASE

26/06/2016 - I manage to update a new version (2.4), this time on LL too

SHORT DESCRIPTION
This mod introduces some features for the character, all modular and singularly selectable via MCM. It started with idles, that was my main goal, then I added more features to handle better compatibility.
The actual features as for V2 are:
- Idles: activate and see the character animating when you're not doing anything
- Variable speed run: allows to run faster / slower depending by the angle of your camera. At min value (looking in the direction of your feet), you will walk
- Head-Tracking: passive behaviour of the character, sometimes it will turn the head looking at some npc - Experimental
- Sitting: you can sit down wherever you want. Look down and hold Activate (default E)

I'm working on this in parallel to the Staminamod, I'm focusing to make them work together and looking for some more realism and interactivity for my game. However it's important to know that I play in third person and this mod is designed with that in mind.

There's NO GENDER RESTRICTION, because the idles are pretty much neutral, however you can untick on MCM those you don't like

FAST START
Install it, go on MCM, click Import (if you have Lutana) and load my default settings. Alternatively, activate the features that interest you and play.

REQUIREMENTS
- Latest NVSE, alwaysMANDATORY in my mods
- MCMtoo, it is MANDATORY
- UIOis OPTIONAL: with it, you'll be able to see the widget showing the run speed
- Lutana is OPTIONAL: with it, you'll be able to save / restore your MCM settings (since there are many) and identify your skeleton
- A compatible skeleton, like Deedes' The Skeleton or Astymma
- Alternatively, Bodymorph / Sexout skeleton (any versions): it's the only skeleton that allows HxT (head-tracking)
- This skeleton, also, is specific for this mod since v2.5

Note: even if optional, these components are strongly recommended

INCOMPATIBILITIES
Behaviours will stop working when an animation is forced via script - this is a "feature" of the game engine. Anyway you can reset them sitting down. In short, scripted animations can still be viable, it all depends by the frequency you invoke them and if you're patient to reset after

DETAILED DESCRIPTION
Behaviours
They are what I call "passive animations"

- General Idles
A list of idles that can be played by the character under certain conditions. They can be singularly selected / deselected on the specific MCM sub-menu GENERAL IDLES. Actually there are 20 different idles.

- Primary Needs
These work only if Hardcore Mode is activated. Actually there are 2 different idles, they will play for a lack of food, lack of sleep or dehydration. They tend to block the player for a couple of seconds.

- On Hit Idles
They play if the player is injuried on body parts, there's one or more animations per body part. Also, the player will cry from time to time if the health is low. As for Primary Needs, these are slightly more invasive than General Idles.

- DN (Do Nothing)
These idles are not written inside the MCM. They will play everytime that another idle is not playing. They are subtle movements, the character will turn the head on right, or *sighs*, or look at left... etc.etc.
Actually there are 12 DN animations. The MCM option HIGH PRIORITY will allow DN animations to have twice the chances to be played - so General Idles will play half of the times

- HxT (Head-Tracking)
Head Tracking is not possible in Fallout, let's deal with it
I'm tweaking it the best I can, but it's always a workaround so it's not perfect. The range of the head is +-70 degrees. The distance necessary to acquire a possible target can be defined in MCM (HxT MAX DISTANCE on MCM). The player will "forget" about a target after a certain time (HxT REM TIME on MCM). It requires this skeleton to work.

There will be a cyclical attempt to play every kind of animation, every (x) seconds, where x is a random number between the 2 values MIN DELAY TIME and MAX DELAY TIME defined on MCM.
The way the character chooses animations depends by some factors and by a certain priority I gave inside the mod.

Actions
In the current version there are only 2 actions, I count (and hope) to increase them in the future. The problem with actions is that not everything can be scripted because many things can screw the Behaviours, and I wouldn't like that.

- Running
You can change the speed of your run, based by the X axis of the camera. Basically, if you look your feet (MCM option MAX ANGLE) you'll go slower and if you'll look the horizon (MCM option MIN ANGLE) you'll go faster. When your speed is at minimum, you'll start walking. If you have UIO installed, you can enable a small widget to show your actual run speed.

- Sitting down
Look at your feet, hold Activate (default E) for a couple of seconds, a red X will appear where you're going to sit and then you'll sit down. Simple as that. How much inclination the camera must have? How much you must look at your feet? MAX ANGLE, the angle defined under Running, even if you don't use that option. How much time you must hold E? it can be defined by the MCM option HOLD TIME.

FUTURE PLANS
- More animations
- Based by how it will go the next version of NVSE, I'd love to add a custom sprint
- Events (animations based by the surroundings)

CREDITS
hlp for NVSE
JIP for JIP NVSE and UIO
Luthien Anarion for Lutana
Pelinor for MCM
Nickolos1818for testing
Hitman for the roll animation
Xilandro for the lean concept and parameters

PERMISSIONS
My general rule on permissions - you can do whatever you want but not for commercial use; if it's marked as Beta/WIP, then do not use it, it's better if you contact me and we cooperate; if you use something from my mods, some credit would be nice, but if you can please inherit the permissions, so that others will be able to use your mod too, mods deserve to be spreaded.
Included assets can be used only in New Vegas

June 2016: this mod is still updated by me

BETA 2.5
List of changes:
> The speed bar widget now will fade out when not used
> Introduced hotkey to enable / disable progressive run, as per request
> First person Lean - you can poke your head out and shoot enemies while staying behind a wall. REQUIRES THIS SKELETON
> Third person Roll - when standing (not walking / running), you can roll left or right to avoid bullets. On MCM you can select how much DT buff you receive from rolling
Both these new functions are bound by default to Q and E keys, you can change them on MCM. Note that Q on vanilla is the key for autorun, so if you want to keep that key you should rebind.

This is classified as Beta because it will be completed with the next version of NVSE and Lutana
It changes some important scripts, so it would be better to make a clean save
It is a replacer for some animgroups - be careful to what it overwrites, do not hesitate to ask for help if something's not clear

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    06/14/2016
  • Category
  • Requires
    NVSE 5+(mandatory), JIP UIO (optional), Lutana (optional), MCM (mandatory), a compatible skeleton - eventually BodyMorph/Sexout skeleton if you want headtracking work

Interesting mod and features! I was using an old mod that had only 6 player idles but now I can get rid of that and have a total of 32. Great work.

Tested and confirmed fixed with "Fix 15062016.zip" provided by A.J.

Though heads up I think I've found something odd with HxT & BodyMorph 1.1.2b.

Basically, in the BodyMorph interface set your characters Scale to say example, -5. (sBone = ScaleiSize = -5)

(By doing this all bones on your character will shrink in size including your head size of course.)

Now activate HxT in Behaviors MCM and go stand near any NPC to make HxT happen.

Notice how your characters head size will shrink back to as if your characters scale is set to 0 but the rest of your body stays at -5 scale? (Bobblehead effect).

It's as if HxT resets your head scale size back to 0 if it isn't already at 0 (default normal size).

(Sometimes my neck & shoulders scale will change in size slightly too but not always.)

Always the off chance that you can't reproduce this or it's just me and my awful luck lately, for now I'll keep HxT disabled but leave all other features of this mod on because I like my female character to be smaller in height compared to male NPCs (0.90-ish) and since HxT makes my head scale back to 1.00 while my body stays at 0.90 size if that makes any sense.

--

Does HxT only work on a X & Z axis? (for now maybe? regardless/limitation if so it's great to see some head tracking actually in NV now).

For example an NPC is sitting down on a couch, my standing character won't use Y axis to look down at them and is instead looking above their head straight ahead.

Edited by 7KeysCurtain

Yup, I noticed too that my PC don't look up when headtracking his follower (my PC is 0.95 and my follower is 1.05), only straight in front of him. But while headtracking in Fallout was my greatest dream I'm ready to deal with it. :)

I don't have head scale problem through because I used race/NPC G.E.C.K. scale for my characters, not bodymorph.

Someone forgot to grant compatibility to her own mods, wonderful, this is being professional -_-

I'll update the fix in few minutes

For the Z-axis headtracking, it's not avaiable, as you noticed actually it's only on Y (look left / right) - considering headtracking's not possible, I was already a little happy to have achieved that :)

When later I thought to introduce Z (look up / down), I also thought to a completely different way to obtain headtracking, which would require a good amount of extra work in doing extra animations, not sure when I'll be able to accomplish it.

Let's see this actual headtracking as an experimental feature I wanted to introduce to check some feedbacks from users. I mean, maybe in few days you'll come back here telling me it's not nice / worth

Though heads up I think I've found something odd with HxT & BodyMorph 1.1.2b.

Here's a fix, if you have a chance to see if it solves for you - just overwrite every file. You probably have to re-set the head to 0.9

*File removed, fix was included in the 15/06/2016 main package*

It's happened a third time so now I'm reporting it since I caught it in debug, regarding HxT. (v2.1 15/06/2016)

Basically my characters head becomes stuck looking to the left and remains like it.

I don't exactly know what triggers it but I am guessing one of the idle animations that can play while you're character is walking also changes the position of your head direction and if that happens at the same time a HxT makes an adjustment (Example: Behaviours - HxT Offsetting -6) when the idle that is active ends and around the same time HxT does (Behaviours - HxT Offsetting 0) it fails and my characters head will remain at -6 / looking left, attempting to head track other NPCs won't fix it and HxT basically stops since my head is stuck like this now.

What were you doing when it happened?
I'm in the mini-dlc mod called Zion Trail walking (not running) with 2 friends I made in Sexout Intimacy, Angel Lewis (Female Trader) and her Super Mutant guard (Twelfth Night) and a Brahmin (Payload) up to the entrance of the mod.
As I'm walking along beside them my character is of course head tracking them, all is fine, got the radio going.
Time from time an idle animation will play like scratching my leg or my nose, but after a while and after another idle that plays while HxT is active and my characters head is looking left it will stay so even after the idle has ended, the only way to fix this is to relaunch FNV.

Note the three times that this has happened it has always been LEFT direction. Not once has it been stuck right.

In Notepad++ line 1323 I've marked in the debug when it happened.

Link while forum/attachments is having issues : https://my.mixtape.moe/juamcb.txt

Settings.ini : https://my.mixtape.moe/hsemrh.ini

When your head is on the wrong direction, try this: on MCM, untick general idles and DN (so that you won't play any idles except head tracking). Then, sit down on the ground, or on a chair and then stand up again. Then see if the headtracking will reset after a while.

Headtracking is done so that it should reset everytime it doesn't focus on a certain npc. If it doesn't happen, it can be that another idle is playing or the animation engine is stuck (and it requires you to sit down / stand up to reset)

EDIT: see all that "offsetting 0"? it should reset head tracking. If it doesn't happen I'm thinking the animation is stuck and sitting down /stand up should hopefully reset it. But to be twice sure, I'd first block the General idles on MCM so that you don't risk to overlap some

EDIT AGAIN: about the eyes looking in the wrong direction, I forgot it. If you install FAFF mtidle replacers, it should solve. However it's not the best solution imho, but it's how everyone has done until now. I'll see if I can come out with something else...

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: tomorrow I'm going to include a couple of mtidles to force reset facial animations and headtracking. I wanted to avoid it but I guess it's better for everyone

When your head is on the wrong direction, try this: on MCM, untick general idles and DN (so that you won't play any idles except head tracking). Then, sit down on the ground, or on a chair and then stand up again. Then see if the headtracking will reset after a while.

Okay I've done what you suggested with no luck, my head remains looking in the left direction.

Updated debug: https://my.mixtape.moe/bhhanu.txt

Let's try to force it via script. On console, first go on fly cam (TFC), then close console, reopen it and write:

PLAYER.PLAYIDLE aMoNeckX0Z0

It should answer something like "found animation in the path balblablablabvola\blabla\blabla\ etc.etc." and that should reset the head.

Let's try to force it via script. On console, first go on fly cam (TFC), then close console, reopen it and write:

PLAYER.PLAYIDLE aMoNeckX0Z0

It should answer something like "found animation in the path balblablablabvola\blabla\blabla\ etc.etc." and that should reset the head.

That did the trick and now I don't have to relaunch my game anymore when it happens. wink.png 

What's your idea on why this could be happening or what can be done to fix this in a future update?

problem is, it's a forced animation and I wanted to avoid it. If you playidle the other idles will stop working, you will have to sit down and stand up to reset that.

there are a couple of reasons why this could happen. One of the animation files is giving issues, I'll have to isolate it and fix it. Or there's some bug in the animation system and I ignore it, which is not so unbelievable since it is very frail and limited, it's not easy to use it.

EDIT: mmmh I can think to at least 2 more things to try... but tomorrow night, since it's very late now.

Okie, hope what ever it is doesn't cause you a headache trying to resolve it, I'll be around when/if you need a tester. Nighty night.

--

Non-related but kind of neat to witness when it does happen:

Some of the idles that play move your head in an looking up or down direction (such as CrossArmsStanding.kf, LookAround.kf) and if timed right when this happens while HxT is active your character will actually look up or down at who they're looking at, but sadly comes to an end when that idle ends but cool to see none the less.

Maybe it could be something if not a little bit related or to branch off to make Y axis possible in future, maybe.

Okie, hope what ever it is doesn't cause you a headache trying to resolve it, I'll be around when/if you need a tester. Nighty night.

First fix, let's see how this behaves.

*removed file, included in V2.3*

--

Non-related but kind of neat to witness when it does happen:

Some of the idles that play move your head in an looking up or down direction (such as CrossArmsStanding.kf, LookAround.kf) and if timed right when this happens while HxT is active your character will actually look up or down at who they're looking at, but sadly comes to an end when that idle ends but cool to see none the less.

Maybe it could be something if not a little bit related or to branch off to make Y axis possible in future, maybe.

Had a chance to try the modified HxT animations and see if your head is still rotated or it resets correctly?

This is a BnB mtidle replacer. It triggers on its own when the player is doing nothing, is not sneaking, has no weapon, has no power armor.

And of course the behaviours must be de-selected to see this one playing.

Could I have an opinion from you? because my intention would be to put something like this to reset the wrong facial expressions, just to not keep vanilla idle. And since some time ago someone asked for a BnB idle, I thought that in this way I could catch two pigeons with one bean.

meshes.zip

Regarding "BnB mtidle replacer" what exactly should I be witnessing my character do in game after installing it?

Your mtidle.kf is 146KB and the one I had previously is 37KB I'm not sure what the difference is for when I don't notice a change in game.

Followed your instructions above / disabled behaviors etc, what could cause it not to work? Incompatibilities/other .kf files maybe, requirements?

Regarding "BnB mtidle replacer" what exactly should I be witnessing my character do in game after installing it?

Your mtidle.kf is 146KB and the one I had previously is 37KB I'm not sure what the difference is for when I don't notice a change in game.

Followed your instructions above / disabled behaviors etc, what could cause it not to work? Incompatibilities/other .kf files maybe, requirements?

Yeah I'm sorry I didn't take in consideration if you already had a mtidle.kf. Could you check please the subfolders for mtidle.kf? it could be possible that you have it under characters\_male\locomotion\female. If it's so, I guess it will take priority over the one inside characters\_male\locomotion

Anyway, the idle is the player's breathing and moving slightly the hands. When breathing, there's a BnB effect similar to NoNaaM for Oblivion (but less accentuated)

Yes there was another mtidle.kf inside /locomotion/female, deleted that and now it's working.

There is how ever an odd looking issue, breathing is working fine but when I walk forward my character does a slow forward style of moon walk (Almost like walking on the spot).

Discovered the cause to be "Fem walk replacer -Haughty Mare- v2b" so I removed the files that come with that mod and now walking is back to normal.

'Normal' being dull vanilla walk animation, I've used Haughty since its release, not going back to vanilla so I'm choosing to keep Haughty over "BnB mtidle replacer".

(Unless of course it's something that can be resolved.)

--

I also think that the fem walk replacer is responsible for a "stiff legs" oddity (knees don't bend when walking) that happens for idles that can play while walking, they (legs) return to normal once what ever idle is done playing. If not then I'm not entirely sure what causing it.

Edited by 7KeysCurtain

Yes there was another mtidle.kf inside /locomotion/female, deleted that and now it's working.

There is how ever an odd looking issue, breathing is working fine but when I walk forward my character does a slow forward style of moon walk (Almost like walking on the spot).

Discovered the cause to be "Fem walk replacer -Haughty Mare- v2b" so I removed the files that come with that mod and now walking is back to normal.

'Normal' being dull vanilla walk animation, I've used Haughty since its release, not going back to vanilla so I'm choosing to keep Haughty over "BnB mtidle replacer".

(Unless of course it's something that can be resolved.)

--

I also think that the fem walk replacer is responsible for a "stiff legs" oddity (knees don't bend when walking) that happens for idles that can play while walking, they (legs) return to normal once what ever idle is done playing. If not then I'm not entirely sure what causing it.

I think I can solve both, but I'd need to know

- for the idle, if it deserves. If it doesn't, then it would be a waste of time

- for the knees, can you isolate some specific idle causing it?

I think I can solve both, but I'd need to know

- for the idle, if it deserves. If it doesn't, then it would be a waste of time

- for the knees, can you isolate some specific idle causing it?

Not sure I understand what you mean by this sorry.

Yes I can try do that.

Suggestion: I don't know if it's possible but would be helpful if debug/or OSD could be added that shows which exact idle animation .kf file is active.

That way in future if a certain idle is potentially troublesome - you, I and others will know which.

Example:

jqrgja.png

In the first point, I'm referring to the separated mtidle I uploaded few messages ago. You said you have an issue to make it work along with the walk, I think I could solve this, but I'd do only if the mtidle is decent and deserves efforts, or I'll delete it.

For the second point, I mean if for example you see the player picking nose and in the same time you notice the knee doesn't bend, this probably means I must inspect the picking nose idle.

Unfortunately no I can't debug writing you the exact animation that its played, since it's chosen by the game engine itself and this information doesn't come out. Probably it would require a specific function from a script extender.

AJ,

Is there any way to implement a keypress delay like is used to sit on the "X" for actually placing the "X"? When there are alot of items to pick up, I tend to madclick while moving crosshairs and end up with a big red X where the items are on the ground.

I could, but maybe's not the best solution. There are 2 things that I want to do in the future: making the red X optional (someone told me it breaks immersion) and allow to define a different hotkey instead than E. Both these solutions, on their owns, could solve your issue too - if I hide the red cross, even if you tap E you won't know you are starting the sitting procedure, you simply will see your character sitting if you hold the key.

While it seems easy to find ways to control your character (I mean, conceptually, like... you introduce a new feature and you think "I'll use this key because it's very practical"), in reality it is pretty difficult because everyone has its own taste in terms of keys. The choice of E was because I really didn't want to give the player a new extra hotkey, but maybe it's not a bad idea at least to optionally be able to re-bind it. I really would love to give a easy interface, but I fail most of the times, so I appreciate practical feedbacks like your message, thank you.

I could, but maybe's not the best solution. There are 2 things that I want to do in the future: making the red X optional (someone told me it breaks immersion) and allow to define a different hotkey instead than E. Both these solutions, on their owns, could solve your issue too - if I hide the red cross, even if you tap E you won't know you are starting the sitting procedure, you simply will see your character sitting if you hold the key.

While it seems easy to find ways to control your character (I mean, conceptually, like... you introduce a new feature and you think "I'll use this key because it's very practical"), in reality it is pretty difficult because everyone has its own taste in terms of keys. The choice of E was because I really didn't want to give the player a new extra hotkey, but maybe it's not a bad idea at least to optionally be able to re-bind it. I really would love to give a easy interface, but I fail most of the times, so I appreciate practical feedbacks like your message, thank you.

You are right, that is a better solution. And either or both would solve my issue :)