Maybe reach out to someone and have them make a dungeon. It could be an undertaking but then you can add it to the mod and not require 3rd party assets. 

You have done a pretty good job with the mod for quest triggers and progression, I bet if you had a stand alone area it would be easier to incorporate rather than modifying an in game space. But maybe I am talking nonsense, I'm only a consumer not a maker so I have no knowledge for levels of difficulty.

6 hours ago, VirginMarie said:

I will try playing that alternate start so I can see it.

The work to use Shalidor's as you suggest might be worth it if I liked it, but I don't, because its nothing but bare walls really. It's too much just a pure maze.

That would not be needed because the location would be a copy and modified, just like Nocturnal's Sepulcher is, existing twice in Skyrim essentially. Think of it as a new section of the Sepulcher, but I'm cheating with a cut and paste so I don't have to create the whole thing from scratch.

SLaV already uses Nightcaller Temple when Nocturnal sends you to do the Waking Nightmare quest. That does not rule it out though.

SLav also already uses Broken Tower Redoubt. It's where one of the shrines are that Dibella sends you to love. It also has potential.

But I don't know, not doing it for me. Better if it were closer to feeling like you are in an underground cave system. Both of those have towers, although I don't have to use the tower parts or outdoor parts.

Fair enough.  And that'll teach me to do things in a rush!  LOL

I may not have recognised some of those places from the main game at the time I player SLAV originally ?

What about Shroud Heath Barrow though?  Is that any goog? 

Description and map here

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Shroud_Hearth_Barrow_(place)

On 10/24/2020 at 12:41 AM, TheQueenofTraps said:

Not gonna lie. I tried to port this to SSE.

I manage to get FNIS to register it with out a problem and I manage to get the game started with it on but...it CTD as soon as Cassia tried to talk to me.

So, yeah. Looks like it's got gonna happen on SSE anytime soon.

It may not be best to convert the ESP, if you did that. I still don't have high hopes it will work but I believe critical things get removed when converting the mod. Although, I have heard people having success with Naked Dungeons by ALSO recompiling all the scripts, for some reason. IDK why that's the case.

Ultimately, though, VirginMarie has stated that SSE support will not happen until Devious Devices and ZaZ Animation Pack get official ports, which they do not yet have. (We have unofficial ports)

In my personal opinion, I don't think an official port will ever happen at this point, and 8.0+ is pretty much stable on SSE now.

The only reason I can understand for why not to use T.ara's builds is T.ara tends to not build upon version by version with the idea of keeping all support from the previous version working. 9.0 is leaving a few furniture's/outfits out of the picture, as stated on its forum thread, so any mods using those will not work. This kind of development cycle will put more work on VirginMarie if something gets removed that she uses.

Also there have been quite a few quality control issues in the past with 8.0 and 8.0+. It's a big mod, and making it 100% compatible with everything, I'm sure, is a nightmare. The original team made 100% sure that it would work with anything that used it. They spent a lot of time perfecting it. T.ara is just one person and they've made the mod much bigger than it originally was.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:41 PM, TheQueenofTraps said:

Not gonna lie. I tried to port this to SSE.

I manage to get FNIS to register it with out a problem and I manage to get the game started with it on but...it CTD as soon as Cassia tried to talk to me.

So, yeah. Looks like it's got gonna happen on SSE anytime soon.

FAQ #18. When is a Skyrim Special Edition version coming?

This FAQ has been updated with current status.

3 hours ago, XenoDrake said:

VirginMarie has stated that SSE support will not happen until Devious Devices and ZaZ Animation Pack get official ports, which they do not yet have. (We have unofficial ports)

• I won't wait for "official" but I do need reliable
  • ZaZ Animation Pack dependency was removed in the current release. This was partly to aid in an SE conversion
58 minutes ago, TheQueenofTraps said:

I honestly just wanted to see what would happen if I tried. Surprisingly, I got farther than I thought I would.

Ya that's cool. It was time I got to updating status for an SE conversion. I've been getting lots of requests, mostly PMs.

4 hours ago, VirginMarie said:

Ya that's cool. It was time I got to updating status for an SE conversion. I've been getting lots of requests, mostly PMs.

I mean, I understand. Devious Devices for SE really needs some work to fix a lot of the crash and soft-freeze bugs that were introduced. Complex ESP's like that need more than a simple re-save in CreationKit. And the scripts might need to be adjusted too.

I've wanted this mod for SE for a long time. I used to use it on LE, but never got much of a chance to get far with it. Not much later I had to give up on LE (this was 2-3 years ago) when Windows 10 had an update that limited DX9 games to 4GB of total memory address space. It made it impossible to play. They finally lifted the limit a year or so later, but by that point SE already had most frameworks available to it, or a way to convert them yourself.

All in all, I'm willing to wait as long as needed, but I understand if it never happens. I just hope someone can come along and address the Devious Devices issues. I honestly have to run my game without it. It *works* but, as you said, it's unreliable. Sometimes things just break and the devices don't register. As a mod author that utilizes a LOT of devices, you can't have someone reporting bugs to you that are 90% some other mod's fault. It's hell.

EDIT: Almost 2000 posts eh @VirginMarie? You've definitely done your part on LL. Haha Congrats!

I really cannot wait for a port of this to SE! Seems like it would be EPIC as a main LL mod for its own playthrough. Keep us posted! :)

Just an edit: I definitely can recommend the latest version(s) of ZaZ, they work well and have some great animations and furniture. I can also say that Devious Devices is no less stable in SE than it is in LE; most bugs related to devices are usually not the devices themselves, but the mods that use them. I think Sexlab for SE is in so-called "development hell", and will most likely keep that "beta" tag until Black Marsh is released. Don't let this deter you, it is rather robust and rarely breaks. At least in my experience!

I'm tempted to re-install LE just to play your mod tho...

7 hours ago, MysticDaedra said:

I can also say that Devious Devices is no less stable in SE than it is in LE; most bugs related to devices are usually not the devices themselves, but the mods that use them.

Half true in my experience. While you might notice having certain mods crashes it, those mods originally worked in LE just fine, but not in SE. There isn't as much quality control in my experience. Certain things do not function correctly in the SE version.

Regardless if it can be worked around and mod authors can find a way to get it working, look at it from a mod author's perspective. There aren't many Devious Devices mods for SE exclusively because they have no point of contact. Devious Devices for LE has a definitive team that can address bugs that mod authors find and can communicate with how something should be handled. The SE port is unofficial and the person who ported it can't do anything to fix any bugs and the original team, afaik, has renounced providing support for it directly.

So, even if these bugs people have with the SE version can be circumvented, the amount of devices that VirginMarie uses would prevent her from being interested in allowing any kind of SE support until she has a Devious Devices built by a team that she can have direct contact with to report problems or work out other issues with. That can't happen with the unofficial port as it stands now.

22 hours ago, MysticDaedra said:

I definitely can recommend the latest version(s) of ZaZ

The current release of this mod, includes my removal of ZAP dependency. Was the main last thing I did. This was in part to make SE porting more viable. DD also removed its requirement for ZAP

Devious Devices is no less stable in SE than it is in LE

Devious Devices LE is currently in Beta. Will be version 5.0, and it will not be easy for me to make this mod compatible with some changes in DD5. It will not make sense to do an official port with anything other than this new DD however. I have no idea if there will be an official DD5 port for SE at all or anytime soon, and no idea about the unofficial one. DD will be my main challenge.

Sexlab for SE is in so-called "development hell"

I'm not concerned about Sexlab SE, or at least that is my expectation prior to actually testing with it.

14 hours ago, XenoDrake said:

So, even if these bugs people have with the SE version can be circumvented, the amount of devices that VirginMarie uses would prevent her from being interested in allowing any kind of SE support until she has a Devious Devices built by a team that she can have direct contact with to report problems or work out other issues with. That can't happen with the unofficial port as it stands now.

Yes moding here on LL has become the wild wild west. I use to be able to rely on the frameworks to be stable, supported, and maintaining backward compatibility. And its even worse with SE.

6 hours ago, TheQueenofTraps said:

Suffice it to say, @VirginMarie. It works. And by that, I mean it gets farther than I did.

Cassia was able to talk to me.

To make it work, just on the surface, you can hack it and remove features that are not easily ported. To make it really work it will take hundreds of hours of testing. I don't know which was done for that Russian port, the person has never been in contact with me.

13 hours ago, TheQueenofTraps said:

Suffice it to say, @VirginMarie. It works. And by that, I mean it gets farther than I did.

Cassia was able to talk to me. However, anything after that is still a mystery.

As a language barrier gets in the way of progression.

@VirginMarie It's just another shoddy "SSE" port by the looks of the Google translated comments.

From someone in the comments: "This mod is made by the author exclusively for the legendary edition, he uses shaders that are completely different in sse. Therefore, knowledge is needed to convert it to cce. And I see no reason to chase new versions, there is nothing special."

Also "This is an unofficial port for sse. Some models can be buggy as not all can be optimized for sse."

At the very least, they're being honest. I don't like that they just simply converted it to SSE though. It's clearly broken as a lot of people are reporting broken scenes, gear, and scripts. Lol.

@TheQueenofTraps It has the same issues that a self-ported SSE version does. A lot of her nif's make use of custom shaders that will take much more intricate conversion than any automated tool will do. If you use the MCM to equip some devices on yourself you'll see it fails to deliver. And a lot of the quests break easily and freeze.

It will need a lot of work to get working properly in SSE. Simply starting the game with it may seem like it's working but once you actually try to get into the quest-lines you'll see it just isn't worth having installed until it is properly ported.

6 minutes ago, XenoDrake said:

It has the same issues that a self-ported SSE version does. A lot of your nif's make use of custom shaders that will take much more intricate conversion than any automated tool will do. If you use the MCM to equip some devices on yourself you'll see it fails to deliver. And a lot of the quests break easily and freeze.

It will need a lot of work to get working properly in SSE. Simply starting the game with it may seem like it's working but once you actually try to get into the quest-lines you'll see it just isn't worth having installed until it is properly ported.

6 hours ago, VirginMarie said:

To make it work, just on the surface, you can hack it and remove features that are not easily ported. To make it really work it will take hundreds of hours of testing. I don't know which was done for that Russian port, the person has never been in contact with me.

Look, I'm not saying it actually works. All I'm saying is that it got farther than I did, which is actually not saying much in and of itself as I am crap at "full-overhaul" porting. I'm more of a tune-up kind of guy.

Honestly, I just wanted your opinion on the matter.

30 minutes ago, TheQueenofTraps said:

Look, I'm not saying it actually works. All I'm saying is that it got farther than I did, which is actually not saying much in and of itself as I am crap at "full-overhaul" porting. I'm more of a tune-up kind of guy.

Honestly, I just wanted your opinion on the matter.

Sorry didn't mean for it to sound like I was attacking you. Just saying that it's about as far as I got with the self-attempt I did half a year ago :P.

10 hours ago, XenoDrake said:

Yup, and new DD5 needs to be stable before I do.

33 minutes ago, MysticDaedra said:

@VirginMarie I've been playing with a conversion I made myself, and thus far most things seem to work pretty well, only a couple quest-related bugs that are fixed with a reload. Just FYI :) Only thing I can't "fix" for SE I think is the tattoo black skin thing. Really enjoying it!

How did you deal with things that use NiOverride? Examples are Lively Lungs and Foot Fetish (the amputation)

There will be other texture issues beyond the ass tat.

I don't know what a quest-related bug means, but I suspect you will be seeing quests broken, more so by the frameworks... DD mainly. A reload implies you are just trying the same thing again and due to the randomness of the DD issues, you luck out and the dont happen at the same time again.

Usually it's something like a quest not properly starting, i.e. the message appears that such-and-such a quest has begun, but it never showed up in the quest log. ShowQuestTargets shows the quest, but 0s on all stages. Reloading a save sets the quest stage properly for some reason.

I've yet to get Foot Fetish. Presumably, without NIOverride, you'd simply have things clipping into the ground? I'm assuming it's mostly height related. We have NIOverride in Racemenu now in SE, but it's now part of SKEE.ini. I know you can convert meshes for "high heel" stuff in Outfit Studio, not sure what the other issues are. I'll of course troubleshoot when I come across problems, because I really love the mod and want to keep playing it! :)

So far zero problems with ZaZ, btw. Missing Komotor's stuff obviously, which is disappointing, but I think that affects the LE version as well. I know there's a bunch of new furniture stuff in the SE version of ZaZ, and I think some other anim packs have started adding furniture meshes as well? I wish I actually had a clue on how to mod, because then I'd really dig in. 

No real "issues" with DD yet, btw. All the bodyslides need fixing (they're... off. Presumably because they're for XP32 vs XPMSE). The body piercings clip something fierce, and the nipple items float in front of the torso. I just turned off nipple stuff, no biggie. 

What I did to convert was install the LE version in MO, then open the .esp in CK. Edited an item's name, saved, then changed the name back and saved again. Extracted that .esp and put it elsewhere, then reinstalled the mod and copied the updated .esp back in to the mod folder. Easy peasy, took me all of 10 minutes (mostly because the CK is a slow-loading steaming pile lol). Then I used the Havok upgrader to upgrade all the anim and behavior files, pretty easy as well. There's a nifty batch file on the Nexus that helps with this a bit. After that I used NIF Optimizer to optimize all the files for SSE. Some finagling to make sure everything is in the right folder, and then I started playing on a fresh save!

I think there's a utility called Cathedral Assets Optimizer or something? And it just automagically converts stuff from LE to SE or something like that? I just did it the old-school way, because that's what I know how to do. And so far so good!

If I had a single TL;DR for this whole thing, it would be that I believe there to be less work in "officially" converting to SE than maybe you think there is. I'm totally speaking out my ass on that, and as someone who's never actually modded, I really don't know. But my sketchy hand-made conversion seems to mostly be working, enough that I'm not dealing with distracting bugs and errors, and have been heartily enjoying the mod!