ReStringer has its own profile system.

Is your OS set to a French locale?

Yes it is.

Are you able to switch locales and see if it works in the US English locale?

Alternatively, would you be able to run ReSaver from the command line so that you can capture the full stack trace when the save fails to load? The stack trace makes debugging much much easier.

Edit: nevermind, found the issue. Some old-school anglocentricism; when I made the list of strings divide up by first letter, I was only thinking of English's 26 letters. Very embarrassing mistake.

Thanks for the patch, looks like the loading of the save is working smile.png

However, when I tried to save, I entered "test" as a file name and this was the outcome.

EDIT : Even when using something else than "test" in the explorer, the error messages continues to refer to "test". I don't know if the problem comes from me (when I first tried the alpha, I also tried to save as "test" and maybe that's the cause) or Resaver.

(Translation : The specified file is nowhere to be found / doesn't exist)

post-493705-0-19116800-1466502440_thumb.png

post-493705-0-25423400-1466511322_thumb.png

Uploaded a new version, performance and stability should be a lot better.

Please report any bugs or annoyances you find while using it! In a few days, if nothing major comes up, I'd like to post this on the Nexus. :-)

ok the scripts folder been made in mod manager, the happens now?

You're making a restringer patch? And you've made your patch and it's showing up in Mod Organizer? Then you're done. Just test it on a new savegame to make sure it works.

If it doesn't work, or you get a bunch of Papyrus error messages or something, please post here and complain about it so that I can try to fix whatever is wrong.

If it does work, and everything is amazing, please let me know that too. :-)

I took a quick look at the update :

• A button to clear the filter would be nice (not top priority, though)
  • I clicked on "Analyse Mods" in ReSaver :
    • It just opened an empty ReStringer (no mods loaded).  Maybe this is due to the upgrading and the fact that I erased the old files (including "settings.json").  Anyway, nothing happened once I selected "Analyse Mods" except opening a blank ReStringer.
    • In ReStringer, chosing "Set Skyrim Directory" did nothing (no explorer opened)
    • To be sure, I reset the MO directory path, closed ReStringer and relaunched it from ReSaver, but the result was still empty lists.  Do I have to click on "Generate Analysis" ?  If so, that's strange to the user who expects the thing to load automatically.

PS : Have you considered putting a debuging mode in the json file ?  If it's enabled, you could write to a log file that we could give to you for an easier troubleshooting.

Also, you should wait until July to upload it on the nexus, maybe it'll will be in the files of the month then :)

post-493705-0-92646300-1467109469_thumb.png

• A button to clear the filter would be nice (not top priority, though)

Good idea.

• I clicked on "Analyse Mods" in ReSaver :
    • It just opened an empty ReStringer (no mods loaded).  Maybe this is due to the upgrading and the fact that I erased the old files (including "settings.json").  Anyway, nothing happened once I selected "Analyse Mods" except opening a blank ReStringer.
    • In ReStringer, chosing "Set Skyrim Directory" did nothing (no explorer opened)
    • To be sure, I reset the MO directory path, closed ReStringer and relaunched it from ReSaver, but the result was still empty lists.  Do I have to click on "Generate Analysis" ?  If so, that's strange to the user who expects the thing to load automatically.

There's no way for ReSaver to tell which mods the user wants analyzed, so ReSaver fires up ReStringer's mod-chooser, so that the user can select mods (or select a profile they've already created), and then "generate analysis".

Maybe some instructions in a dialog box would help?

The "Set Skyrim Directory" bug is new, thanks for catching it.

PS : Have you considered putting a debuging mode in the json file ?  If it's enabled, you could write to a log file that we could give to you for an easier troubleshooting.

That's why I have the log windows, although I agree that a log file is more traditional and more like what users are accustomed to.

The dialog box would help.  You could also add a "Help" tab or something that would allow you to be more verbose and describe all the features that you want.

I'm surprised you're able to debug with such little information from the log.  Maybe you're using it to place breakpoints in your IDE, I don't know :P

Maybe it's planned, but there's one thing I'd love to see in ReSaver : the ability to remove mod scripts like with Savetool.  I think I read somewhere you were using its source code ?  Sorry if I seem pushy, I just don't want you to forget that nice functionality.

I'm surprised you're able to debug with such little information from the log.  Maybe you're using it to place breakpoints in your IDE, I don't know :P

I've been programming a long time (despite making minimum wage in the service industry... being part of gen-x is a tough gig). I have a pretty good intuition for debugging, especially when it's code I wrote.

Maybe it's planned, but there's one thing I'd love to see in ReSaver : the ability to remove mod scripts like with Savetool.  I think I read somewhere you were using its source code ?  Sorry if I seem pushy, I just don't want you to forget that nice functionality.

You mean select a mod, and delete all of its scripts at once? The hard part with that is that some mods overwrite Skyrim's scripts. And ReSaver can only detect that if it has an analysis (generated by ReStringer) which includes all of those mods.

For example, "MS11CalixtoScript" is part of Skyrim; it's replaced by Schlongs of Skyrim and by Brawl Bugs plugin. So if you uninstall one of those mods, how do you decide whether to delete that script?

Here is the information ReSaver provides about "MS11CalixtoScript".

SCRIPT MS11CalixtoScript extends ReferenceAlias

WARNING: MORE THAN ONE MOD PROVIDES THIS SCRIPT!
Exercise caution when editing or deleting this script!

This script probably came from "SOS - Schlongs of Skyrim - 3.00.004 + elder skin + khajiit".

Full list of providers:
  * Skyrim Game Directory
  * Brawl Bugs - Compatibility Edition-24020-1-0
  * SOS - Schlongs of Skyrim - 3.00.004 + elder skin + khajiit

There are 1 instances of this script.

What I could do is add a filter that will list all of the scripts and instances that are probably from a mod, and users can decide for themselves whether to delete them or not.

Hmm, I didn't know removing scripts that way could cause trouble.  Honestly, I've been using that function with Savetool a lot and I rarely got into trouble for using it (well, I think so at least).  It was really handy when it came to removing mods or updating them. 

For example, mods such as Cursed Loot, Frostfall etc require a "new save" when a new major version is published, but removing the old scripts before installing the new version often managed to do the trick.

In the end, even if you're right when you say it can break a save on the long term, I think letting the user chose to take the risk is better than not giving him the opportunity, but that's just my opinion.

Your solution sounds good but what would happen if the "suggested scripts" you remove only represent 3/4 of the mods scripts and you then install another version of the mod ?

Hmm, I didn't know removing scripts that way could cause trouble. Honestly, I've been using that function with Savetool a lot and I rarely got into trouble for using it (well, I think so at least). It was really handy when it came to removing mods or updating them.

For example, mods such as Cursed Loot, Frostfall etc require a "new save" when a new major version is published, but removing the old scripts before installing the new version often managed to do the trick.

In the end, even if you're right when you say it can break a save on the long term, I think letting the user chose to take the risk is better than not giving him the opportunity, but that's just my opinion.

Your solution sounds good but what would happen if the "suggested scripts" you remove only represent 3/4 of the mods scripts and you then install another version of the mod ?

Wait, what feature of SaveTool are you referring to? Does SaveTool have a feature to remove all of the scripts from a mod? I've never seen anything like that in SaveTool.

edit: I took another look through SaveTool and didn't see anything for removing an entire mod's scripts at once.

I've implemented filtering-by-mod in ReSaver. I'll upload tomorrow evening when I've tested it more thoroughly.

Hmm, I didn't know removing scripts that way could cause trouble. Honestly, I've been using that function with Savetool a lot and I rarely got into trouble for using it (well, I think so at least). It was really handy when it came to removing mods or updating them.

Wait, what feature of SaveTool are you referring to? Does SaveTool have a feature to remove all of the scripts from a mod? I've never seen anything like that in SaveTool.

edit: I took another look through SaveTool and didn't see anything for removing an entire mod's scripts at once.

I've implemented filtering-by-mod in ReSaver. I'll upload tomorrow evening when I've tested it more thoroughly.

I'm talking about the "Mod Editor" button shown in the pic bellow :

post-493705-0-09313700-1467188713_thumb.png

Thanks much for this pair of tools! I read your main post, most of this thread and the linked topics from here and am now quite intrigued by all this.

Your instructions state that ReStringer is in late beta, I suppose that means it is generally safe to use? I want to give it a try on a few big quest mods like I-NPC or AnnaNPC that I really enjoy but that (thus far?) haven't always seemed to fit into one load order with all the other stuff that I want to use.

The tools are both easy to use once I had fully read the instructions. Thanks! If I may make one small suggestion for the interface: the grey-on-grey "process mods" button was a bit hard to find at first, down there in lower left corner.

There is one thing that even after all those many threads and posts still has me confused: if a current couple-dozen hours long savegame is very close to the old string count barrier but is otherwise stable (good latency, stable fps, not a single crash) -- would you say it is safe to keep going with that unchanged load order for a long playthrough and trust in the magic of the CrashFixPlugin or should a new start with ReStrung mods be preferred nonetheless?

Thank you!

Hey. I have a script when removing broken some coding notices and MCM records. The only problem with mods translated into Russian. For example Ineed (notification) Extensible Follower Framework (MCM) and other mods. Previously this problem by removing the script, I did not see, maybe maybe a translator error, but this mod work correctly. Translated text of this form:

Sorry for my english.

post-100770-0-16168200-1467208367_thumb.jpg

post-100770-0-81664600-1467208375_thumb.jpg

Thanks much for this pair of tools! I read your main post, most of this thread and the linked topics from here and am now quite intrigued by all this.

Your instructions state that ReStringer is in late beta, I suppose that means it is generally safe to use? I want to give it a try on a few big quest mods like I-NPC or AnnaNPC that I really enjoy but that (thus far?) haven't always seemed to fit into one load order with all the other stuff that I want to use.

The tools are both easy to use once I had fully read the instructions. Thanks! If I may make one small suggestion for the interface: the grey-on-grey "process mods" button was a bit hard to find at first, down there in lower left corner.

There is one thing that even after all those many threads and posts still has me confused: if a current couple-dozen hours long savegame is very close to the old string count barrier but is otherwise stable (good latency, stable fps, not a single crash) -- would you say it is safe to keep going with that unchanged load order for a long playthrough and trust in the magic of the CrashFixPlugin or should a new start with ReStrung mods be preferred nonetheless?

Thank you!

Good suggestion, thank you.

I consider ReStringer safe to use. To the best of my knowledge, that actual restringing algorithm is 100% solid -- as long as you follow the guidelines about only restringing Endpoint Mods. I play with restringer patches for Interesting NPCs and Legacy of the Dragonborn.

If you have crash fixes v10 or newer installed, then you don't have to worry about the string limit -- unless you need to use Script Scalpel or SaveTools. But that's why I made ReSaver. If you want to keep your stringtable below the limit, use ReStringer. If you go over and need a savegame editor, use ReSaver.

Hey. I have a script when removing broken some coding notices and MCM records. The only problem with mods translated into Russian. For example Ineed (notification) Extensible Follower Framework (MCM) and other mods. Previously this problem by removing the script, I did not see, maybe maybe a translator error, but this mod work correctly. Translated text of this form:

Sorry for my english.

What script are you removing? And what mod does the script come from? It looks like EFF?

What script are you removing? And what mod does the script come from? It looks like EFF?

I deleted the scripts of mod Dripping when aroused. Screenshot of the script MCM mod EFF. In which breaks down encoding.

I deleted the scripts of mod Dripping when aroused. Screenshot of the script MCM mod EFF. In which breaks down encoding.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that:

* You deleted the script using ReSaver, and it corrupted the MCM's of some other mods.

* But when you deleted it with SaveTool, it worked fine.

Is that correct?