Mod report:  Player Succubus Quest 3.2.5a (with optional scripts from animated wings and Real Flying)

Seems to work.  I transformed, cast a spell or two, adjusted some MCM settings.  Can't really test the flying without leveling up first, but nothing blew up in the short term.

So I'm working on two things:
1) Making Restringer work on the entire mod order at once.
2) Making Restringer run on 32bit Java... because right now it is about a thousand times slower for some reason. Which is exactly the OPPOSITE of how Java is supposed to be. Seriously, that's the whole goddam point of Java, is that the developer shouldn't have to worry about whether the system is 32 bit or 64 bit or RISC or a cellphone or a goddam Commodore 64.

So far I've improved performance quite a bit, and made the logging window work correctly.

If we ran Restringer on the whole mod order at once, would that also restring Vanilla Skyrim?

Mod report:  Player Succubus Quest 3.2.5a (with optional scripts from animated wings and Real Flying)

Seems to work.  I transformed, cast a spell or two, adjusted some MCM settings.  Can't really test the flying without leveling up first, but nothing blew up in the short term.

If we ran Restringer on the whole mod order at once, would that also restring Vanilla Skyrim?

Thanks for the report.

Running Restringer on your whole mod order isn't something I officially support, and definitely not restringing Vanilla Skyrim. But people are doing it anyway, so I'm just trying to ensure that the tool can keep up with their shenanigans without running out of RAM or anything.

First off, thanks for the mod. I used it today on just some LL mods to test it out. I took the scripts that it made, put it into a folder called "scripts" and put that folder into a mod I named "Restringer" (is this what I'm supposed to do, or did I mess up here?). When I loaded the game, all the mods that I had used restringer on did not display correctly in the MCM. Instead of showing their variable values, they instead showed just the variables (so, to demonstrate, instead of an option labeled "Check this" it would be labeled "$checkthis"). So the MCM is still usable, just more confusing since it lacks any descriptions.

First off, thanks for the mod. I used it today on just some LL mods to test it out. I took the scripts that it made, put it into a folder called "scripts" and put that folder into a mod I named "Restringer" (is this what I'm supposed to do, or did I mess up here?). When I loaded the game, all the mods that I had used restringer on did not display correctly in the MCM. Instead of showing their variable values, they instead showed just the variables (so, to demonstrate, instead of an option labeled "Check this" it would be labeled "$checkthis"). So the MCM is still usable, just more confusing since it lacks any descriptions.

Are you using the very latest version? The previous version had this issue because of an over-aggressive optimization I added, but it SHOULD be fixed in the latest version.

Okay, I was mistaken in a previous report:  Legacy of the Dragonborn has some problems after all.  The MCM menu isn't working correctly, and yes, this is with the 5/16/16 restringer.  It opens and MCM menu and shows all of the submenus, but the default submenu is blank and the submenus are not selectable.  See attached log, in which I began a new game with Live Another Life, started in Solitude, entered the museum, and activated display persistence.

Papyrus.0.log.7z

Are you using the very latest version? The previous version had this issue because of an over-aggressive optimization I added, but it SHOULD be fixed in the latest version.

Yep, I wasn't using the latest version. I had the 5/16 one instead of the 5/16v2 one. Thanks for responding. And am I correct in thinking that this doesn't change the mods themselves? For instance, it doesn't delete any script files from Sexlab, but instead creates script files that overwrite the ones in Sexlab? Sorry if it's something you already said in your post. I read through it all, I just want to make sure that I understand.

Yep, I wasn't using the latest version. I had the 5/16 one instead of the 5/16v2 one. Thanks for responding. And am I correct in thinking that this doesn't change the mods themselves? For instance, it doesn't delete any script files from Sexlab, but instead creates script files that overwrite the ones in Sexlab? Sorry if it's something you already said in your post. I read through it all, I just want to make sure that I understand.

That's right. It makes absolutely no changes to ESPs or BSAs. The only way it will overwrite scripts is if you set the output directory to be the same directory that the mod is in.

In short, Restringer will read lots of different files, but the only writing it does is when it outputs the new script files.

The very first prototype of Restringer actually did modify ESPs, and lowered the string count much more aggressively -- it could get your entire load order AND the Skyrim base game down to 6000 strings total. But it turned out to be nearly impossible to do that without introducing fatal errors. Skyrim has just too many weird quirks in how it interacts with Papyrus.

Is it 'Restringer 2016-05-16-v2.7z'? I uploaded a second version on the 16th, the one with the v2 suffix. The first version I uploaded on the 16th had serious issues with SkyUI.

In my case, yes, it is v2.  Wasn't even aware there were two 5/16 versions.

I extracted the Restringer to a random folder, but I can't add my Mod Organizer mod directory. When I try doing that none of my mods show up in the window.

Do you get an error message? Did you set the mod organizer directory before trying to load it?

I extracted the Restringer to a random folder, but I can't add my Mod Organizer mod directory. When I try doing that none of my mods show up in the window.

Do you get an error message? Did you set the mod organizer directory before trying to load it?

Yeah I tried setting mod organizer directory for the mods, but I get no error message. Just none of the mods show up in Restringer's window. I cant click on "make patch" either. Btw I'm using 64 bit Windows 7. Maybe it has something to do with Java?

I've uploaded a new version of Restringer, the user interface should be much better than before.

I'm probably done adding features to Restringer (unless there's something you REALLY need) and I'll be focusing on fixing bugs. In the meantime my energy will go towards leveraging the Restringer codebase into a new save editor for h38's "new" Skyrim save format.

I'm slightly less likely to ever use your profile system when, for new profiles, it forgets the place I told it to use for output and returns to the default folder with a new name on the other hard drive. The generic file explorer that pops up to reassign the output folder is kinda archaic; doesn't let me tab from one folder to another so that I can navigate quicker, so I have to use my mouse to manually traverse back to where I want the data which is a pain because I put the restringer too many layers deep in a different hard drive than C. I just want to keep the output near restringer is all.

I mean, I doubt you want to put any effort into building a better file explorer from your program (probably some generic explorer that comes free with a framework), I just wanted to point out that it's kinda annoying. If you could somehow remember the general location for output that was last assigned (one directory above the actual location), and make your new profile specific folder in that spot instead, that would be really cool but probably more effort than it's worth.

I like how the debug is in it's own view (so I don't have to call Restringer with java through command line to see it live) and the program doesn't exit when you leave, although the log view is missing the side scroll bar for some reason (mouse wheel still works, so meh)

Has anyone actually run into any issues with converting mods so far? I've only converted 3 and no problems yet, except I haven't really played heavily with them either. I'm curious what it actually breaks, since it looks like it's pretty conservative with it's converting; No aliases, globals, function names, conditionals. Seems pretty safe.

The largest "mod" that I have by string count is the unofficial skyrim patch by far, has anyone considered restringing it or would it be a poor candidate and for what reason?

Edit: new linux crash

Again, not high priority. I can go without linux capability altogether.

Edit:  Clearly from the trace you can see it's trying to open a directory it can't find in the settings, I deleted the previous settings from running in windwos and that fixed it.

Should probably catch those simple exceptions though...

$ java -jar Restringer.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The mod directory doesn't exist.
    at restringer.Mod.<init>(Mod.java:47)
    at restringer.Settings$ModSerializer.deserialize(Settings.java:151)
    at restringer.Settings$ModSerializer.deserialize(Settings.java:143)
    at com.google.gson.TreeTypeAdapter.read(TreeTypeAdapter.java:58)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.read(TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.java:40)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.MapTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(MapTypeAdapterFactory.java:186)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.MapTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(MapTypeAdapterFactory.java:145)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$1.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:116)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:216)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.read(TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.java:40)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.CollectionTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(CollectionTypeAdapterFactory.java:82)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.CollectionTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(CollectionTypeAdapterFactory.java:61)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$1.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:116)
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory$Adapter.read(ReflectiveTypeAdapterFactory.java:216)
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:879)
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:817)
    at restringer.Settings.readSettings(Settings.java:54)
    at restringer.gui.ModChooser.<init>(ModChooser.java:57)
    at restringer.Restringer.lambda$main$0(Restringer.java:59)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:756)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:726)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Edit: Wait, can you even modify strings that aren't in a PEX? Does this new version modify ESP files?

Unofficial skyrim patch shows no pex files, only source and esp, so.... I can't restring it anyway...

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at those issues.

This version doesn't modify ESPs (no released version does). ESP strings don't go into the string table though, unless they get accessed by a script.

I would recommend against patching USLEEP. Too many other mods extend its scripts.

Odd bug: Restringer in linux doesn't report strings for some mods

Last night, before switching back to linux I took a screen shot of all mods in MO sorted by string in windows, so that I could look at the list if this new version didn't work under linux.

Comparing the two today I noticed the lists don't match; many mods have zero strings listed.

Not sure why. The MO folder and restringer are both in the same location for both tests, file system hasn't changed. Log seems to suggest that the search was very short (nano seconds), and the PEX count is listed at zero for all mods

Again, not a high priority since I don't need to use in linux, just thought I should report it

archive.7z

Odd bug: Restringer in linux doesn't report strings for some mods

Last night, before switching back to linux I took a screen shot of all mods in MO sorted by string in windows, so that I could look at the list if this new version didn't work under linux.

Comparing the two today I noticed the lists don't match; many mods have zero strings listed.

Not sure why. The MO folder and restringer are both in the same location for both tests, file system hasn't changed. Log seems to suggest that the search was very short (nano seconds), and the PEX count is listed at zero for all mods

Again, not a high priority since I don't need to use in linux, just thought I should report it

Clearly there is a problem with understanding paths in Linux.

I feel like this story is going to end with me needing a memory stick Linux distribution for testing... :-\

Have you considered putting this on the Nexus? Its an amazing tool.

I have been using it in conjuration with Crash Fixes and new SKSE Plugin Preloader and it has brought my modding to a whole new level.

Glad it's working for you!

I've thought of putting it the Nexus, but the Nexus has a lot more cranky people who don't bother to read the instructions. I really don't want the hassle of dealing with their problems and questions. People here on Loverslab are much easier to deal with in general and seem to be much more knowledgeable about modding.

Are you still working on your own "Savetool script cleaner" compatible with Crash Fixes ?  I think my save is way over 65k strings and I wondered if there was a chance for it to be cleaned :)

Sure am. Just slow. I work full time, I have a family, and my wife is getting her paralegal diploma so she monopolizes the computer. But I hope to upload an alpha version in 7 days.

Are you still working on your own "Savetool script cleaner" compatible with Crash Fixes ?  I think my save is way over 65k strings and I wondered if there was a chance for it to be cleaned smile.png

Sure am. Just slow. I work full time, I have a family, and my wife is getting her paralegal diploma so she monopolizes the computer. But I hope to upload an alpha version in 7 days.

I understand, personnal life first.  Glad to hear it's still planned, though :)

Are you still working on your own "Savetool script cleaner" compatible with Crash Fixes ?  I think my save is way over 65k strings and I wondered if there was a chance for it to be cleaned smile.png

I understand, personnal life first.  Glad to hear it's still planned, though :)

Progress is definitely happening...

post-731915-0-16275000-1464633081_thumb.png