Paid mods and Bethesda announcement on the E3

Well, greed plays no role when you take an additional, low-paid job, the 2nd or 3rd of all, only need does. Moreover, I remember that in the four years I have modded for Gas Powered Games after school, modding was time-comsuming, especially when you work in a larger team. It's not something you do in-between as if it were nothing. And work it is.

I haven't yet talked about on who buys what regarding the platforms used 'cause I don't play on a console and only pc matters for modding, at least for the near future. You might wanna read more closely before switching gears just to confuse me with others and their arguments, okay?

Ask winny why the guys in the mid 30s stay at home. It's not because they don't want to found an own family, it's because they are unable to finance their own four walls as a single, to cut the cord once and for all. It's simply cheaper to stay and you're not the one to disagree. The phenomenon has absolutely nothing to do with career vs raising children (which, at least for a man, requires a woman). Nothing! Don't get confused, just don't. They ain't no children anymore! And yet they still need the parental protection as if they still were children, even if it is just free electrified shelter, cleaner and food. And parents don't let their children down...

Establishing a hypothesis is always based on a logical sounding assumption that needs to be verified, well, in some cases not as in 'Russiagate' . Without hypotheses, however, we'd still live in a cave somewhere. The parameters we have at hand are sufficient to make a logical approach that deals with probabilities. In absence of higher probabilities for alternatives your critique is legit but of just trivial importance.

Finally, your logic is somewhat flawed -  I don't need to know beforehand the share of modders in the group in question that actually like CC or not. All I have to do is to watch diversity and progress of CC on the market. The higher the diversity and the better the progress, the higher the share should be, vice versa accordingly.  Question is, is that of any importance? Well, only if you are interested in an observation of the time-learning curve of a group, and this group is intelligent from the get go, quick-learners. So, the outcome is already clear before one would start an observation.

If you have 2 or 3 jobs you probably won't have the time to create some assets or mod anything at all, really. Also, why should you go after multiple low wage jobs when you still live at your parents? People who work their asses off for little pay are usually the ones that absolutely need the money to stay afloat, i.e. there's no one else to support them. That being said, modding is as time consuming as you want it to be. If you have knowledge and/or talent in any of the fields, it's pretty easy to whip up some new models, textures or a few lines of code from scratch. What might take a total newbie several weeks from start to finish will someone who already knows how to use the tools available a few days, and a pro will need only hours. The most time consuming thing - and where most people fail - about modding is the learning part. The size of the project of course matters, but the CC so far has only provided pretty simple mods, nothing big or groundbreaking, so nothing that took long. Remember that the CC is invite-only so there won't be any people who don't know what they're doing. Probably.

Also, don't worry, I haven't confused what you've said and what you didn't say, the part about the buyers was directed at winny who tried to argue that his/her sons at the age of 30+ had a lot of disposable income because they stayed at home and didn't have to pay rent themselves, so more money to blow on games and hardware, at least that's what I've understood. Should've made that probably more obvious.

And please, read what I've written. Nowhere have I made the claim that my argument has anything to do with career vs raising children, I simply stated that the nuclear family is dead but the concept of the nuclear family was what motivated most to start their own life. Now people simply don't feel the need to move out of their parent's house any longer, because why should they? If you want to start a family, sure, you need your very own home. But if you are single and all relationships are transient, why bother? There's nothing to gain.

And to close of that wall of text: If you want to talk about hypotheses and logic, you should very well know that anecdotal evidence is tainted by subjective perception and not a very good basis to start your train of thought on. So no, I don't need ask anybody about the personal experience on any matter because it's entirely irrelevant.

You don't even grasp the implications of your own argumentation, much less of my careful allusions. Of course, a guy with three or four jobs has no time and time is required here. That just means that they don't look for fulltime overall anymore to satisfy the basic needs by their own efforts, they have given up to stand on their own two's and as long as they get the comfort they seek from the parents they will stay. Easy living, abundant spare time - the perfect CC modder. Okay? I just didn't want to hurt anybody, and you have (or pretend to have) no idea of the group in question nor the psyche of man, so it seems. In any case it strangely sounds like self-defense, fellow member.

Whatever, I'd have thrown you out of my house in no time cos there is no legal claim, no egocentric right to insist to stay only b/c it is beneficial for big boy/girl, it is exclusively a parental grace based on parental love and... limited patience. Parents want to see efforts of their grown-up children to change the situation, and rightly so. In what fantasy world you are living, I really didn't want to know.

This convo is over. I, at least, I'm always running out of time. And patience with the ignorant as well. It's hard to fill a cup that is already full. Guess full of what, huh? So, others might give it a try cos among other important things I have such a little male specimen to raise. But hey, not to no end, believe me bwoys 'n gyals. Hehe! You're lucky!

before this discussion spirals out into a MGTOW VS. Feminist shitstorm...I'm just gonna posit this theory:

isn't the large amount of people who "dig" Microtransactions et al. usually makes up the people in the working class and not those living with their parents? 

I have co-workers here playing different flavors of mobile gacha games, console titles and online PC games with "aesthetic" loot and they are fine to spend almost 1/4 of their monthly salary just to get the new stuff or get their toon into a "competitive" level...

when I ask them why they spend so much on a game that they won't be bringing to their graves their replies are mostly the same: "I don't have time to grind...dude, we work...you should know that..."

and most of these working-age people who are in their late 20's to early 40's just play games as a form of stress relief after spending 9-12 hours a day relegated to their office cubicle...

they have lots of money but not enough time to play..so...these are the people that the Greedy Games Companies are targeting more? the so called Whales?...right?       

You don't even grasp the implications of your own argumentation, much less of my careful allusions. Of course, a guy with three or four jobs has no time and time is required here. That just means that they don't look for fulltime overall anymore to satisfy the basic needs by their own efforts, they have given up to stand on their own two's and as long as they get the comfort they seek from the parents they will stay. Easy living, abundant spare time - the perfect CC modder. Okay? I just didn't want to hurt anybody, and you have (or pretend to have) no idea of the group in question nor the psyche of man, so it seems. In any case it strangely sounds like self-defense, fellow member.

Whatever, I'd have thrown you out of my house in no time cos there is no legal claim, no egocentric right to insist to stay only b/c it is beneficial for big boy/girl, it is exclusively a parental grace based on parental love and... limited patience. Parents want to see efforts of their grown-up children to change the situation, and rightly so. In what fantasy world you are living, I really didn't want to know.

This convo is over. I, at least, are always running out of time. And patience with the ignorant as well. It's hard to fill a cup that is already full. Guess full of what, huh? So, others might give it a try cos among other important things I have such a little male specimen to raise. But hey, not for ever, believe me bwoys.

Your tendency to provoke and insult those that disagree with you is nothing new but I have to say, it's pretty tiring after a while. Your post is nothing but a sequence of personal attacks - you attack the person instead of the argument. It seems that you have an axe to grind with some sort of imaginary enemy, and as with all wars, everyone that is not with you is against you. You want to see the enemy over there, clearly distinguisheable from yourself and those you consider allies. But nobody wears any uniforms in this war that isn't happening but it seems you don't want to see that.

before this discussion spirals out into a MGTOW VS. Feminist shitstorm...I'm just gonna posit this theory:

isn't the large amount of people who "dig" Microtransactions et al. usually makes up the people in the working class and not those living with their parents? 

I have co-workers here playing different flavors of mobile gacha games, console titles and online PC games with "aesthetic" loot and they are fine to spend almost 1/4 of their monthly salary just to get the new stuff or get their toon into a "competitive" level...

when I ask them why they spend so much on a game that they won't be bringing to their graves their replies are mostly the same: "I don't have time to grind...dude, we work...you should know that..."

and most of these working-age people who are in their late 20's to early 40's just play games as a form of stress relief after spending 9-12 hours a day relegated to their office cubicle...

they have lots of money but not enough time to play..so...these are the people that the Greedy Games Companies are targeting more? the so called Whales?...right?       

That's my experience as well, but you know, anecdotal evidence doesn't say much. Pretty sure people who buy this shit come from all backgrounds. There is something called 'scientific revenue', a bot that collects data on demographics and pricing for mobile games - to give everyone just the right price to make it harder to say no. Collecting information is a huge deal, and it's mostly done by bots nowadays who automatically collect everything about potential and existing customers. Google is also a huge factor here, and Activision just patented an algorithm for matchmaking that aims at encouraging customers to spend money on microtransactions. That's a lot of effort that goes into these things - effort that shouldn't be necessary if it was clear as day who spends cash on MT and who doesn't.

The CC is a different beast, though. I'd say it serves two purposes, to bring mods to the Playstation (Sony didn't want user made mods without any sort of QA) and to monetize mods in general. It's easy cash for Bethesda because they aren't doing much here - and easy cash for any modder that gets invited. They won't be getting much out of the deal I'd guess but to be honest, there isn't a whole lot of effort flowing into the mods available on the CC anyway so it's low-effort low-reward for the modders and low-effort high-reward for Bethesda. If you have experience in creating textures or models it's easy as pie to make a bit of extra dosh in a few hours. I mean, there are friggin pip-boy reskins on the CC. They were getting paid for that.

This is very true. I don't like having to learn yet another third party program to mod my game- or even learning a new site layout (Nexus) because I have so little time. Sometimes I just want to play because I am so many hours at work, but I don't want dull vanilla. I don't do a lot of microtransactions myself, but I can see where others like me will.

Look, I'm 52. Been gaming since the 70's (on my TRS-80 ;) ). I own a small development company (22 employees). Work at least 9 to 10 hours a day and even work more from home. I play Skyrim, WOW, SWTOR (depends on my mood). I have not bought anything from the CC (running Oldrim anyway). And as long as this site and Nexus are around, I never will.

But I have bought from the WOW and SWTOR in-game stores...  in game currency, xp boosts, and a few vanity items (I play on RP servers - looks matter). I'm not sure I'd classify the stores in WOW and SWTOR as MT. And I don't feel like I'm ruining the gaming industry for doing this. I don't. 

Look, I'm 52. 

But I have bought from the WOW and SWTOR in-game stores...  in game currency, xp boosts, and a few vanity items (I play on RP servers - looks matter). I'm not sure I'd classify the stores in WOW and SWTOR as MT. And I don't feel like I'm ruining the gaming industry for doing this. I don't. 

Im 32, i've been gaming for 25 years now.

I only paid ONCE for shit after i bought/got the game - i was a subscriber in SWTOR for 2 months.

I've pretty enjoyed it but i have this weird thing where i completely obssess over a game for a week or two and then leave it and dont play it for another 2-3 months or something like that because i obsses over some other game...

And im not talking about new shit, new releases or something like that - i usually jump between few game i like : Aurora 4x, Dwarf Fortress, Fallouts/Elder Scroll games, Mount and Blade Warband, Hearts of Iron 3/Darkest Hour etc. 

And i refuse to pay for ANYTHING beside the game or ANYTHING AT ALL if the game is free to play.

And i will rather not play that game at all than to pay even one cent. 

Fuck any game developer/publisher that will try to force me to pay.

Look, I'm 52. 

Im 32, i've been gaming for 25 years now.

I only paid ONCE for shit after i bought/got the game - i was a subscriber in SWTOR for 2 months.

I've pretty enjoyed it but i have this weird thing where i completely obssess over a game for a week or two and then leave it and dont play it for another 2-3 months or something like that because i obsses over some other game...

And im not talking about new shit, new releases or something like that - i usually jump between few game i like : Aurora 4x, Dwarf Fortress, Fallouts/Elder Scroll games, Mount and Blade Warband, Hearts of Iron 3/Darkest Hour etc. 

And i refuse to pay for ANYTHING beside the game or ANYTHING AT ALL if the game is free to play.

And i will rather not play that game at all than to pay even one cent. 

Fuck any game developer/publisher that will try to force me to pay.

I totally agree. I didn't pay 60 bucks for a watered down game. If you want me to pay more because of inflation then so be it but none of this microtransaction bullshit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.10.2017 at 11:15 PM, Grine said:

The don't complain when games get worse and worse.

With less content for more $.

[..]

The only people I will ever pre-order from are CDPR. They have proven themselves so they deserve my confidence.

The rest? They can wait.

If you reward bad behavior then that's what you encourage.

A sentence from my heart!

CDPR was the only company in the last years where I paid the full price for a game and where I did so wilingly and happily!

That's something that WAS also true for Bethesda...  in the past!

Regrettably, nowadays they seem to work very hard on their reputation NOT to be trusted again. As if they want to get rid of any positive appearance at all costs.

Archived