Paid mods and Bethesda announcement on the E3

>Buy a combat overhaul mod, 10 bucks. "Oh whatever, It looks nice."

>Has 5 different mod requirements, each ranging from 3 to 7 dolars

>Begrudgingly buy them

>Mod doesn't work. Message the author and wait for a fix.

>3 days later author messages back, rolls a bugfix

>Now crashes at a later point

>For 7 hours play the ol' timeless game of WHICH FUCKING MOD IS CONFLICTING

>Three different mods I bought before conflict with it

>Also mod acts janky on my graphics card for no reason

T-thanks Bethesda

I want you to imagine how much flame mod authors eat on a daily basis, especially those with large mods. Now I want you to amplify it by 15 since people are now paying for it.

The frustrating part to me is that I would actually love to have some system that gets some money to people creating great mods... Without flooding us with junk.

I really should donate to a few of the mods I use... SKSE + FNIS + SkyUI + Racemenu + ...

I would have a hard time coming up with less than 20 mods that (combined) deserve at least as much money as I gave Bethesda.

''Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons''

Lol, Beth even your own DLC's are not fully compatible with each other without unofficial patches, FO4 random encounters bug thanks to Automatron DLC anyone? :P

At least it's better than whatever was attempted previously.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/

Make sure to read it thoroughly.

I read yes... And the text is much better them the video, they need some serious marketing lessons... But i agreed is much better them what was attempted before.

But the truth is, we cannot be naive, Bethesda will not put workers to work on mods, if they do this, would be DLC's... They just put some barrier, so that just some selected people can sell mods, and by doing this, they prevent a lot of problems.

Like i said before in other posts, just a personal opinion of course, i don't have nothing against money and mods, i think if someone spend money on their work, is fair they receive some cash because of this, that's why we have the donation button on nexus, i can tell for myself, i pay my subscription to substance painter with donations.

But i think, the biggest problem is, Bethesda don't allow modders to create patreons with projects they want to make, they start this bethesda.net stuff with this in mind, something we all speaks about here in the time, if they start to charge the use of creation kit i would be ok with that, but i see this like adobe giving me photoshop for free and them i have to give a % of my salary to them.

To resume, i think all this could be ok, if we have options, the way i see it, is just corporatist BS.

I just hope they don't taint oldrim with them this time.

Bethesda needs a boycott just like BioWare.

not possible now, won't make any difference anyway bethesda have those brain washed console kids to back this the sole reason why they were introduced to mods in the first place.

I read yes... And the text is much better them the video, they need some serious marketing lessons... But i agreed is much better them what was attempted before.

But the truth is, we cannot be naive, Bethesda will not put workers to work on mods, if they do this, would be DLC's... They just put some barrier, so that just some selected people can sell mods, and by doing this, they prevent a lot of problems.

Like i said before in other posts, just a personal opinion of course, i don't have nothing against money and mods, i think if someone spend money on their work, is fair they receive some cash because of this, that's why we have the donation button on nexus, i can tell for myself, i pay my subscription to substance painter with donations.

But i think, the biggest problem is, Bethesda don't allow modders to create patreons with projects they want to make, they start this bethesda.net stuff with this in mind, something we all speaks about here in the time, if they start to charge the use of creation kit i would be ok with that, but i see this like adobe giving me photoshop for free and them i have to give a % of my salary to them.

To resume, i think all this could be ok, if we have options, the way i see it, is just corporatist BS.

They do actually put workers on the mods, at the very least a few QA people that will play through the mods and see if they more or less work the way as advertised and don't contain stolen content.

The amount of chicken littling over this is absurd.  Have you even read the FAQ?  The VAST majority of modders will never even get on this service, because they would fail to meet Bethesda's actual professional requirements to even apply.

Bethesda just isn't going to be happy till the ruin the mod community.  The lure of all those free $$$ is just too strong apparently.

Free money? For who?  Bethesda would immediately put accepted modders on their payroll, before they even have their mods ready for testing.  This isn't Valve's "We'll pay you 10% of the proceeds if you make $X in sales".  This is an actual paying contract job.

Two?

roflmao

Let's list the companies already doing this with non-amateurs

Capcom

Bandai Namco

StarBreeze

StarDock

Activision

Warner Brothers Games

Nexon

Nordic

Digital Extremes (which already has self curated amateur mods that DE then owns outright thereafter on steam)

and that's just off the top of my head.

Now point out which of those companies has a lifetime subscription for non-MMO games.  The most you'll see is a season pass for a limited amount of DLC.

And Capcom got shit on hard for Street Fighter 5.

I want the modding scene to stay as it is, greed destroyed way too many things.

Call me a conspiracy nuts but there's absolutely no reason for Bethesda to do this but gathering more money or controlling the modding scene. We've all seen what happens in paymium games.

Just imagine having to pay for their broken games, and then having to pay for the unofficial patch, lol.

In any case, hosting mods on their website means giving them power over those mods.

If the company that requires community made fixes for it's own DLC to work with itself wants to start charging for mods, then what the hell.

Their games are not that special. I see no better time to boycott the company than the present. At worst people should wait until the ultimate edition is released.

But that's none of my business, I guess. I already ain't touching their games for months with no intention of changing that.

The solution to this is to donate and give support to the authors who keep their content as donation only.

Refuse to pay for anything that demands a payment.    

If you cannot do this, then your words mean nothing really.  Because this is the only way to have your real say in this matter.

If they are successful with creation club... then it really doesn't matter how you feel about it.  Bottom line.

I just don't believe that something like the leyenda skin or a SOS will be available on bethesda. Even when it is new created.

I think their policy is to control what you and I can see. And especially something to find here on LL will be a BIG no.

They do actually put workers on the mods, at the very least a few QA people that will play through the mods and see if they more or less work the way as advertised and don't contain stolen content.

Ousnius, If you are the one who would be in charge of mods there, i would say, "yes, this will work!", but is not the case... That fat guy who is responsible for the forum, social media etc... don't even know what fallout is, imagine the level of the workers that will take care of this... They don't even know what our community needs, even the microsoft fix for dx9 in win10 came from the community... I still don't see one bethesda worker knowing more about a game them a community member.

And for the price, they don't talk about it yet, but far harbor cost 25 dollars, 25 dollars, for a new world, new weapons, new players, well... new everything, almost a new game, how much could cost a backpack? Or a new weapon? 5 cents max?

I just don't believe that something like the leyenda skin or a SOS will be available on bethesda. Even when it is new created.

I think their policy is to control what you and I can see. And especially something to find here on LL will be a BIG no.

Obviously, that's not even the issue, and there'd probably be even less if modders were receiving 90% of the money, but they aren't and Beth isn't even attempting to steer this in any towards the community itself, ergo the "fully compatible with our existing content statement.

So basically they get full control of the entire pipeline, and they can also control what tools they approve for creation usage going forward.

"the mods are totally curated guys, don't worry"

"so who's curating"

top_men_indiana_jones.gif

and even potentially tools access, if they feel like it.

I'm not bribing anybody to keep their mods "free".

As long as you refuse to pay for anything on that site as well, and others do the same... that would probably work also.

If not..  then there really is no reason for them to do anything different.

I've mentioned this in other sites, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason SKSE64 hasn't been released yet - the devs caught wind of the paid mods coming back (or maybe Bethesda contacted them about it) - and are either planning on monetizing it so are releasing it when the Creation Club gets released, or abandoned it because they'd rather not be a part of or support a paid mods industry.

Archived