SexTec (SexLab, SexOut, etc.) - Container thread

You should probably start creating the animations you want now then :)

I have been doing textures most of the time for Skyrim, but would really love to get into animation and scripting scenes finally.

I have so far mainly worked with Carrara 8.5 as 3D software.

So what am I going to need to create animations for Fallout 4 Characters and are there good tuts for that to get started?

Hopefully something low budget exists since I doubt that Carrara 8.5 will be able to create animation-files/sequences that Fallout 4 can understand.

Forgive me my noob question, never have tried my hands on animations for any Beth game so far.

So no idea what is really involved and everyone seems to be doing it differently. Some used something called XNLara or so, others Cinema 4D and so on...

Ihrai

I'm not an animator myself (wish to be someday!) but I know a lot of people use maya and 3ds max and you can get their software for free by signing up for their student program and when they ask what college you go to, you choose the option "home schooled" :D

also I'm hearing alot of people like blender, theirs tones of tuts scattered here, I think theres an official forum here somewhere

A framework can include a UI system.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with choosing to not have any UI system as part of Sextec. Someone could build a UI framework on top of the Sextec framework. I would just like Sextec to at least be designed with a branch style UI usage in mind rather than a pick-your-series-of-animations-to-play-up-front model.

That is not my strategy.

It will limit the mods that can be built  over the framework.

You are generous with your time to build this and offer to the community. If you have a different vision, I respect that and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

That said, I may not have explained my idea well. I don't see how it would be limiting. The same functionality as Sexlab would be there. It would just add some functions to accommodate "during scene" interactions and branching to make it less limiting.

To be more specific, it would add two features:

1. A "traverseToAnimation" function. This would require that the system keeps track of a tree relationship for the animations (even though it could still jump around on demand as Sexlab does). The traverseToAnimation function would determine the path from the currently playing animation/position to the one requested and play the animations in order along that path.

2. An "animateAndWait" function. This would simply stop the scene at a given animation point and loop indefinitely until a mod gives further instructions (to traverse to a different animation, end scene, etc.). This would give a mod the ability to introduce decision-making during the "performance".

It doesn't seem like these two features would take much or interfere with how anyone has used Sexlab. A nice-to-have would be the ability to call up a simple list menu to navigate the tree of animations. But, with the above two features, creating such a menu separately would be pretty simple.

Again, your call. My motivation is selfish in that I will have to build this functionality privately if someone else doesn't. :) I would just point out that 0Sex received a ton of support. I don't think that it was because it introduced cuddly animations. It was because it introduced more interaction with the scene. The demand is there. I just think it would be interesting to see what other modders do given that type of model. Even just in this thread, there are people chiming in to say that they like the idea.

You should probably start creating the animations you want now then :)

I have been doing textures most of the time for Skyrim, but would really love to get into animation and scripting scenes finally.

I have so far mainly worked with Carrara 8.5 as 3D software.

So what am I going to need to create animations for Fallout 4 Characters and are there good tuts for that to get started?

Hopefully something low budget exists since I doubt that Carrara 8.5 will be able to create animation-files/sequences that Fallout 4 can understand.

Forgive me my noob question, never have tried my hands on animations for any Beth game so far.

So no idea what is really involved and everyone seems to be doing it differently. Some used something called XNLara or so, others Cinema 4D and so on...

Ihrai

There are some pretty good tutorials for using 3dsMax here: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/51365-0sex-skyrim-sex-sim-other-0s-content-wip/

You can get 3dsMax free as a student.

That said, I may not have explained my idea well. I don't see how it would be limiting. The same functionality as Sexlab would be there. It would just add some functions to accommodate "during scene" interactions and branching to make it less limiting.

To be more specific, it would add two features:

1. A "traverseToAnimation" function. This would require that the system keeps track of a tree relationship for the animations (even though it could still jump around on demand as Sexlab does). The traverseToAnimation function would determine the path from the currently playing animation/position to the one requested and play the animations in order along that path.

2. An "animateAndWait" function. This would simply stop the scene at a given animation point and loop indefinitely until a mod gives further instructions (to traverse to a different animation, end scene, etc.). This would give a mod the ability to introduce decision-making during the "performance".

It doesn't seem like these two features would take much or interfere with how anyone has used Sexlab. A nice-to-have would be the ability to call up a simple list menu to navigate the tree of animations. But, with the above two features, creating such a menu separately would be pretty simple.

Again, your call. My motivation is selfish in that I will have to build this functionality privately if someone else doesn't. :) I would just point out that 0Sex received a ton of support. I don't think that it was because it introduced cuddly animations. It was because it introduced more interaction with the scene. The demand is there. I just think it would be interesting to see what other modders do given that type of model. Even just in this thread, there are people chiming in to say that they like the idea.

The new stages system I am defining will have a set of ways to go from one stage to another.

A stage can also be set as "cyclic", so it will not end alone before a timeout (that has to be there or the Performance will run forever.)

And the event system, and the Animation Play plugin's APIs for the framework (all will be made as plugins) will enable to control the stages (force a next stage, be aware of a transition, etc.)

"AnimateAndWait" is just bad. No active waiting.

Just register for an "end event" (or any other event) and then end your code and the new code will be started when the event will happen.

0Sex is NOT a framework. Is a mod with APIs.

Not my approach.

The new stages system I am defining will have a set of ways to go from one stage to another.

A stage can also be set as "cyclic", so it will not end alone before a timeout (that has to be there or the Performance will run forever.)

And the event system, and the Animation Play plugin's APIs for the framework (all will be made as plugins) will enable to control the stages (force a next stage, be aware of a transition, etc.)

"AnimateAndWait" is just bad. No active waiting.

Just register for an "end event" (or any other event) and then end your code and the new code will be started when the event will happen.

0Sex is NOT a framework. Is a mod with APIs.

Not my approach.

Using events is what I was thinking technically for animateAndWait. I was trying to be clear about the concept rather than get into the best way to set it up in code.

If the API allows forcing to next stages, why must there be a timeout? It would be on the modder to make sure that some trigger can be met to prevent a performance going forever.

0Sex isn't a framework. However, it demonstrates a game concept that is in demand and could be accommodated for in a new framework so that new modders could have more interaction during NSFW scenes.

If the API allows forcing to next stages, why must there be a timeout? It would be on the modder to make sure that some trigger can be met to prevent a performance going forever.

Consider that:

Stage0 (bending down, 2 secs) -> (Stage1A, Stage1B)

Stage1A (spreading legs, kneeling, 1 sec) -> (Stage2A)

Stage1B (turning doggystyle, kneeling, 2 secs) -> (Stage2B)

Stage2A (pumping missionary, cyclic) -> Stage3A

Stage2B (pumping doggystyle, cyclic) -> Stage3B

Stage3A (orgasm missionary, 5 secs)

Stage3A (orgasm doggystyle, 5 secs)

The stages 2A and 2B are cyclic. They will run until there is an event to move (a condition will become true. Enough enjoyment for the orgasm? Mod event? Whatever you like.)
But if this "event" does not come after a "timeout", then the animation has to end or ti will just consume resources (hey the two settlers are still doing it, but I already joined the Brotherood, then I placed all the MILAs, etc. they are still doing it, just because I forgot to stop it.)

So a "timeout" is mandatory. It can be long, like 5 minutes, but has to be there.

And please stop about 0Sex. This framework will be similar to SexLab (with huge improvement of course), not at all close to 0Sex. If you wish a framework like this one, ask its author to develop one.

I know nothing about animation but it would be cool if we could get more MMF animations for the Sexlab version of Fallout 4. Of course, ANY sex at this point would be a gift from heaven but I know we have to wait for CK. I await the magicians to work their magic eagerly.

I agree with OP that 0SEKSY is great looking but I would rather have automated sex scenes than manual ones.

I know nothing about animation but it would be cool if we could get more MMF animations for the Sexlab version of Fallout 4. Of course, ANY sex at this point would be a gift from heaven but I know we have to wait for CK. I await the magicians to work their magic eagerly.

The main problem now is to understand how to update the "behaviors" (these are holding the list of anim files that are associated to each skeleton.)

We may need some sort of "FNIS" for FO4.

Then, which animation will be done (MF, FM, FF, MM, MMF, MMMMF, FMFMMFFMMF, ...) will be just limited by the fantasy of the animators.

The main problem now is to understand how to update the "behaviors" (these are holding the list of anim files that are associated to each skeleton.)

We may need some sort of "FNIS" for FO4.

Then, which animation will be done (MF, FM, FF, MM, MMF, MMMMF, FMFMMFFMMF, ...) will be just limited by the fantasy of the animators.

A scary thought considering the creator of FNIS has no intentions of creating another one this time around for FO4, wonder if someone has taken up the mantle yet. I'm still hoping that the GECK will include a way to add new animations since FNIS is a 3rd party program and consoles can't run such a thing so they'll add a easier way to get them on consoles.

A scary thought considering the creator of FNIS has no intentions of creating another one this time around for FO4, wonder if someone has taken up the mantle yet. I'm still hoping that the GECK will include a way to add new animations since FNIS is a 3rd party program and consoles can't run such a thing so they'll add a easier way to get them on consoles.

Fores not working on a FNIF equivalent isn't the worst part of this.

Basically, FNIS was created on top of hkxcmd (GitHub), which itself uses Havok as a library (Havok is a company who created the animation systems used in Skyrim & Fallout 4). I think The Havok library was the one reading the "hkv" files (I'm not sure, reading the source code RN).

The real scary thought is that there's no available Havok SDK for the Fallout 4 animator version. We just can't read them w/o understanding the file format first.

Even more scary, even if we would have the right to do that (i'm not sure of the legality of cracking a proprietary file format), we have no basis. The Havok library was closed-source and just "worked" w/o us knowing how. It might take as long as the creation of the first ever xEdit.

So, as huge and useful the work of Fores and The Hologram was, it might just be much, much harder this time.

Let's hope the GECK will have a animation conversion tool shipped with it.

edit : I checked and the file conversion is part of the Havok SDK.

The stages 2A and 2B are cyclic. They will run until there is an event to move (a condition will become true. Enough enjoyment for the orgasm? Mod event? Whatever you like.)
But if this "event" does not come after a "timeout", then the animation has to end or ti will just consume resources (hey the two settlers are still doing it, but I already joined the Brotherood, then I placed all the MILAs, etc. they are still doing it, just because I forgot to stop it.)

And please stop about 0Sex. This framework will be similar to SexLab (with huge improvement of course), not at all close to 0Sex. If you wish a framework like this one, ask its author to develop one.

I see the endless sex problem for NPC-NPC scenes. I was thinking more about scenes involving the player when it wouldn't make sense to move on with the game until the scene is finished in some way.

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like the 0Sex author is up to doing a framework version. It's all good. If I can find the time I will just build a version of it.

I agree with OP that 0SEKSY is great looking but I would rather have automated sex scenes than manual ones.

The way I was envisioning it, you would still have automated scenes. Definitely between NPCs and then up to mod authors to initiate automated or interactive player scenes. So, best of both worlds, imo.

I get that you are sick of the topic, but I hope you can agree that while it shouldn't be a template 0Sex should represent a valuable use case. There is no reason to build Sextec in a way which would make it hard to build something like 0Sex on top of it. The fact that not building 0Sex on top of Sexlab was undoubtedly the right decision, because Sexlab's feature set is not conducive to it, is an indictment of Sexlab. Not something which should be emulated.

Being able to insert stages on the fly, without worrying about race conditions, could for instance be a feature which flowed from looking at 0Sex as a use case. Also whoever makes the premium framework has a lot of influence over how animations are made. If you just use a single tagging system most animations will be useless for the 0Sex use case. If however tagging for Sextec is by default a triplet consisting of (startpose, action, endpose) that gets us off on the right foot.

No updates.

I am working hard to finish a mod for Skyrim, and helping two other modders to improve/create 2 other mods (Skyrim.)

My proof of concept is sleeping right now, and we are waiting to have a better understanding of some items that right now are not clear.

The day that the development will begin for real, there will be an announcement, and probably a GIT repository for it.

Do not expect anything - anything - before next year.

This was all i was looking for ^ thanks :D

Just found it confusing that "Sextec" is being mentioned around here but I couldnt find any post even announcing the idea of it.

This was all i was looking for ^ thanks :D

Just found it confusing that "Sextec" is being mentioned around here but I couldnt find any post even announcing the idea of it.

I repeat.

The framework is in "brainstorming" phase.

A few contributors are exchanging ideas, and I am also doing a proof of concept that inludes:

* The core of the Framework (Tagging and plugins loading and replacing)

* Registry (to have the list of all "Performances" and "Stages") and enable to register new ones.

* Animation system (to actually play the animations)

* Statistics (really basic for now: how many times had sex, sexual orientation, actors seeding, enjoyment)

Probably begin of next year I will release the POC for Skyrim (I cannot do it for FO4 until the [GE]CK will be out)

Doing it for Skyrim it is fine, because the engines of the two games, and the variants of the Papyrus are really similar.

I repeat.

The framework is in "brainstorming" phase.

A few contributors are exchanging ideas, and I am also doing a proof of concept that inludes:

* The core of the Framework (Tagging and plugins loading and replacing)

* Registry (to have the list of all "Performances" and "Stages") and enable to register new ones.

* Animation system (to actually play the animations)

* Statistics (really basic for now: how many times had sex, sexual orientation, actors seeding, enjoyment)

Probably begin of next year I will release the POC for Skyrim (I cannot do it for FO4 until the [GE]CK will be out)

Doing it for Skyrim it is fine, because the engines of the two games, and the variants of the Papyrus are really similar.

I had a few questions/suggestions about SexTec :

- Is anyone / any team working on the 'most' important part of SexTec, animation integration ? GECK probably won't help about this part.

- By the way, if yes, how to contact them ? I'm trying to make progress converting the new hkx files to XML and I'd like to know if I'm just duplicating somebody else's work (or if tools are already out).

- Would you consider - or would it be a good idea - to have a (stickied) post about SexTec in general ? (scheduled content and suggestions for SexTec components, mostly)

- Is the module function already scheduled in the PoC ? (was that what you meant by "plugins" ?)

- Will there be 'base' components (like the animation system maybe) that won't be modular at all ?

I had a few questions/suggestions about SexTec :

- Is anyone / any team working on the 'most' important part of SexTec, animation integration ? GECK probably won't help about this part.
>> If you mean "how to put together some short animation to construct a complex scene", then yes. Two "Contributors" right now.

- By the way, if yes, how to contact them ? I'm trying to make progress converting the new hkx files to XML and I'd like to know if I'm just duplicating somebody else's work (or if tools are already out).
>> PM me (I have to ask the other contributor, he did not show himself as an active party.)

- Would you consider - or would it be a good idea - to have a (stickied) post about SexTec in general ? (scheduled content and suggestions for SexTec components, mostly)
>> [beeep] YES!
But I am not a moderator so I cannot do it.

- Is the module function already scheduled in the PoC ? (was that what you meant by "plugins" ?)
>> Yes.
The idea is that except the core any component (I call them plugins, the term "module" can be confused with "mods") can replace the standard one.
As long as the replacement plugin respects the basic APIs and the defined interfaces.

- Will there be 'base' components (like the animation system maybe) that won't be modular at all ?
>> Not in my vision (but this part is not yet concluded.)
For sure the "plugins management" will be part of the core. The init functions will be part of the core. And with an high probability, the Tagging system, because it will be used by all the plugins.
We are discussing also about the "event manager", but because events in FO4 are not exactly the same the were available in Skyrim+SKSE, we don't know yet.

Worst comes to worst, if the script extender allows it (it did in Skyrim) couldn't you just man handle the skeleton poses and do the animation outside of the engine?

Nope. That was not possible also in Skyrim.

And the F4SE right now is not too much than a container.

Okay, not the script extender itself but a plugin.

Still not true.

The only way Skyrim had to add animations was to use behaviors.

There is no way to do an animation by moving the position of the NiNodes (the skeleton.)

If you can set the position, orientation and all the node rotations for a character then you might be able to do that 60 times a second ...

Nope.

You script will have only a small bucket of execution time. You have to move about 200 nodes for each actor involved, and the calculation of the position requires some really advance mathematics (generally speaking you need the full Inverse Kinematics calculations.)

No way you can do this on scripting.

P.S.

What will let you think that a NodePositioning F4SE Plugin will be developed before somebody will hack into the behaviors to do the animations?

P.P.S.

Creating an animation is already complex by using the normal 3D tools. Do you think an animator will have a single chance to build an animation that requires something like:

168,000 values to be altered for a single second of animation for two actors?

168000 = 7 values for position, rotation, scale X 2 actors X 200 nodes (bones) X 60 frames per second.

@pipdude: With 0SEX the author, CEO, maintains control over all the animations and which of them need transitions. You'll note that there aren't transitions between every animation, only between selected ones within sequences... I do wish that CEO had included hooks for things like SexLab Aroused, but in terms of the animation fluidity I don't see how you can enforce things like transitions when you have multiple contributors.

I think the best we can do is encourage animators to create some (not even all) transitions between their own animations for modders to draw on if they want. We certainly can't insist they create transitions with the work of others... Maybe it would be possible to standardise some Start and End keyframes, but you don't want to police those too heavily either because that's more likely to stifle creativity when animators want to do something outside the box.

You can tell modders to make inter-mixable sets of animations. And a mod/Sextec to only use one set during a performance. make mods/sextec randomize the used sets

• 1 month later...

You can tell modders to make inter-mixable sets of animations. And a mod/Sextec to only use one set during a performance. make mods/sextec randomize the used sets

That's what I was thinking. So, instead of large packages of loosely related animations, modders would release packages that open up options to expand on or add more specific types of scenes.
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived