The Manipulator

I love this mod, so convenient and really helps me customize and tweak the looks of my companions and some key NPCs.

This mod was working great for me over the course of a few different installations, but I recently started over with a completely clean installation and game and suddenly Manipulator no longer works for me.  Specifically: Strip/Dress, Racemenu, Storage and Crafting hotkeys.  I also cannot open the Racemenu on an NPC from the "People" tab.  "Strip/Dress" also does nothing from the "People" tab.  Pressing the hotkey for Crafting just causes the game to hitch for a few seconds, but nothing else happens.

I have SkyUI, UIExtensions, RaceMenu and PapyrusUtils installed, all latest versions. (Along with the CBBE and SOS Racemenu extensions)

Anyone have this problem before?  Like I said, I've used this on a few previous installs and it's always worked without issue.

I've tried changing load orders around, making Manipulator last, and reinstalling the mod.

I even tried these steps:

1) uninstalling the mod entirely

2) loading my save

3) waiting 10 seconds and saving again (though I noticed that the Manipulator still showed up in the MCM menu - but it was empty)

4) cleaning that save

5) then reinstalling the mod

6) loading that cleaned save and letting the Manipulator reinitialize (no errors or warnings) and reregister its MCM menu.

No change, same problem.  It just won't work for me at all anymore.

One final thing I noticed - even though I've set my hotkeys for these actions, no .json was written out in the SKSE Plugins folder (there is no Manipulator subfolder in there).

If there is no .json file then you are in trouble. Looks like something happened during the install? You using NMM or MO? Have you tried manual installation (might have to start a new game - just to test- since SkyUi might be getting confused at this point)?

Edited: you know, I had an odd problem a while ago with drive permissions. A windows 10 update (or maybe Windows Defender - who the hell knows) fucked with drive permissions in the /data folder. Nothing could write to the drive. Which caused many issues with other mods (I didn't bother to check this mod).

I only figured it out because I was begging for guidance on another forum and some suggested to check the permissions. Just a shot in the dark. 

16 hours ago, Crag said:

If there is no .json file then you are in trouble. Looks like something happened during the install? You using NMM or MO? Have you tried manual installation (might have to start a new game - just to test- since SkyUi might be getting confused at this point)?

Edited: you know, I had an odd problem a while ago with drive permissions. A windows 10 update (or maybe Windows Defender - who the hell knows) fucked with drive permissions in the /data folder. Nothing could write to the drive. Which caused many issues with other mods (I didn't bother to check this mod).

I only figured it out because I was begging for guidance on another forum and some suggested to check the permissions. Just a shot in the dark. 

Thanks for your reply.

I used NMM, though I've also tried installing it manually.  But, yeah, my concern is that the save is fucked at this point because SkyUI or MCM or something is already considering this mod broken.

My permissions for the Data folder show Authenticated Users (Win7) with Read/Write/Modify, etc - everything except "Full Control" and "Special Permissions".

Guest ffabris

Miriam, no clue what's up there. If you had it working before and now it doesn't, even on a new game, all I can deduce is that either you're missing a needed mod, or something else is conflicting.

What about another mod over writing a js file that this mod needs? What other mos are you running that use PapyrusUtils? BBLS I know does. 

The proper way to debug it, and I know this is a major pain in the ass, is to start a new game with just this mod and see what happens. If all is good, then run through all your other mods, to find the culprit. 

I know this method is a MAJOR pain in the ass. But everyone has to go trough it. How mans mods are you running?

5 hours ago, rennex said:

I had the same problem with nothing working it had something to do with load order. I use Mod Organizer one profile Manipulator wouldn't work I have to create to a new profile to make it work again.

Hmm, do you have any idea which mod was causing the conflict?  I have uninstalled Manipulator and reinstalled it after everything else and kept it last in the load order.  But it's still broken, even with a brand new game.

1 hour ago, MiriamGarrity said:

Hmm, do you have any idea which mod was causing the conflict?  I have uninstalled Manipulator and reinstalled it after everything else and kept it last in the load order.  But it's still broken, even with a brand new game.

Sorry I did not figure it out I have a keep a vanilla skyrim profile in Mod Organizer I use whenever I my mods act up I just start over from that. It might have something to do with the way PapyrusUtils 3.3 and the PapyrusUtils within sexlab are overwritten each other in load order trying reinstalling those.

11 minutes ago, Ghoulz said:

What body and skeleton do you need to use the scaling options from racemenu for followers? Breast scaling and others do nothing at all for me.

Manipulator itself doesn't do anything with body or skeleton. All it does is call up Racemenu. Do you have UUNP or CBBE installed but the sliders don't do anything? If not, then do the sliders in the 'bodyscales' tab of Racemenu work?

7 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Manipulator itself doesn't do anything with body or skeleton. All it does is call up Racemenu. Do you have UUNP or CBBE installed but the sliders don't do anything? If not, then do the sliders in the 'bodyscales' tab of Racemenu work?

UUNP is mandatory? That gives me massive performance issues and had to remove. Some things work, just not any breast sliders.

7 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

6 minutes ago, Ghoulz said:

UUNP is mandatory? That gives me massive performance issues and had to remove. Some things work, just not any breast sliders.

You don't need UUNP but any UNP variant.  Essentially what he is asking is "Can you modify on your PC what you want to change on the follower?"

If you can change the PC and not the follower, then the follower is using a body that isn't the same as your PC (either a custom follower or you are using a PC exclusive body... or you have different bodies for different races?)

open the console and type showracemenu .... that's all that Manipulator is doing, but targeted at the NPC.

1 hour ago, Ghoulz said:

But what body or skeleton am I needing to use those options?

Any that list that feature in the feature list. I think Groovetama's XPMSE (downloadable on LL, iirc) is the most up to date and best one, but CBBE or UNP family each have their own that have, and don't have, varying amounts of adjustments.

If you have any NPC replacer/beautifier/custom follower mods you might want to not use them for testing, unless you know they just change the head (NPC head features cannot be changed in game) but the NPC still uses the default body. In my game, the DW Commoners mod does this but The Ordinary Women and Bijin series of mods all have a body included for each NPC. At least for the Bijin ones, they use a standard UNP body (at least they did when I found that optional download, I had CBBE bodies that I couldn't use the UNP armor on so I had to make a set of Outfits for that feature of Manipulator).

So, you might want to ignore NPCs for the moment and just make sure you can change what you want on your PC first. If that works, then you can look at NPCs and what body and skeleton they have. If you can't change your player body, you need to look at what you have, what it claims you can do, and then look at which bodies list the changeable features you want.  There won't be one "correct" answer. Several will do what you're asking to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I have an issue when using pahe 7.2.4 togheter with Manipulator 6.3, some of the functions of the Manipulator (like racemenu and harem) suddenly stop working. I have pinpointed it to the pahe+manipulator combination, but I am at my wit's end as to why this is happening. When I uninstall pahe everything seems to be working properly. I consider both of these mods essential to my gameplay so any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

(Not sure if this is a pahe or manipulator issue (or something else entirely), so I posted this question in the pahe thread aswell.)

I doubt manipulator  is doing anything. I suppose  - what scripts files does pahe have? I have seen issues with certain mods that also use papyrus. This is just a shot in the dark. But it has to be something with a script. 

• 2 weeks later...

Deselected Manipulator in NMM and deleted the Manipulator folder from SKSE/plugins. Started a new game and played for a while. Reselected Manipulator and still getting the error message that my Papyrus Utils is not version 3.3. and things wil be broken. Manipulator shows it as 3.2 but it is 3.3. All my other mods are happy with it and it is the only version on my machine.

I've had this message since I reinstalled Skyrim in the New Year and upgraded from Manipulator v4. I've tried reinstalling all Manipulators requirements in various orders but nothing I have done has made any difference.

Guest ffabris

I'd say check your really have version 3.3 I think SexLab has that included (or a more recent one even), so perhaps reinstall that on top.

Just guessing here.

Has this reduced the functionality of Manipulator? Because I've gotten this message, and Manipulator was fine. What I finally did to be rid of the message was install Papyrus Utils itself. It's usually the last mod I install and I let it over write anything it wants.