Why Sims 4 modding so weak

Jace5

I hope some serious mods start popping up for Sims 4 soon. I just went back and played Sims 3 after a year or so of not playing it and even though I love the Supernatural EP, I'd much rather play Sims 4. It's an overall better game and way less bugged, my sim in sims 3 wouldn't even sleep in a damn bed.

Honestly, I dunno why Sims 4 gets all the hate it does. At least on the user end, I dunno much about mod creation/programming.

I already use all of NRAAS mods, and I do the whole package merging thing.  It got to a point where I had to decide whether I wanted to wait 30 minutes to load my save or spend an hour remerging all of my packages and deleting my caches every time, and knowing it wouldn't really help that much.  After a while I just gave up on the whole thing.  I realized I was spending far more time waiting through load times or lag spikes, or doing tedious maintenance that no other game requires the end user to do, than actually doing anything resembling gameplay.  I can only imagine how much worse it is for those people who actually have a lot of mods installed.

I hope some serious mods start popping up for Sims 4 soon. I just went back and played Sims 3 after a year or so of not playing it and even though I love the Supernatural EP, I'd much rather play Sims 4. It's an overall better game and way less bugged, my sim in sims 3 wouldn't even sleep in a damn bed.

Honestly, I dunno why Sims 4 gets all the hate it does. At least on the user end, I dunno much about mod creation/programming.

I really feel that's really main reason Maxis did away with things like create-a-style and open world: it frees up so much processing power and refocuses it on what the player is doing, and for a new simmer that's a really big difference.  Pathing and most interactions are a pain in Sims 3, managing a group conversation kind of feels like playing an RTS, and so much time is wasted just getting places (getting from an apartment to the front door generally takes my sims ~30-50 mins).  Sims 4 just feels so much more natural and smooth, and even though there isn't quite is much to do I usually find it more fun from moment to moment.  IMO, if you compare Sims 3 to Sims 4 with all their respective DLC, Sims 3 wins for pretty much anyone with a system strong enough to run it (note the huge price difference however), but on a base game to base game basis Sims 4 is much better, especially without CC in the mix.

I will admit I'm on a very strong Sims 3 kick right now, but that is mainly because I have kind of run out of things I really want to do in Sims 4, and I'm having a lot of fun with Kinkyworld, but that's mostly because Sims 3 is pretty much done being developed, and modders can focus on doing big mods like kinkyworld.  IMO, Sims 4 has so many under the hood improvements over Sims 3 that if Maxis can deliver some real knockout DLC (and the modding community keeps doing amazing things), Sims 4 could become a fantastic game even in comparison to Sims 3.  It'll be in how well they execute.   People really shouldn't forget that Sims 4 isn't "finished" the way Sims 3 is.

I really feel that's really main reason Maxis did away with things like create-a-style and open world: it frees up so much processing power and refocuses it on what the player is doing, and for a new simmer that's a really big difference.  Pathing and most interactions are a pain in Sims 3, managing a group conversation kind of feels like playing an RTS, and so much time is wasted just getting places (getting from an apartment to the front door generally takes my sims ~30-50 mins).  Sims 4 just feels so much more natural and smooth, and even though there isn't quite is much to do I usually find it more fun from moment to moment.  IMO, if you compare Sims 3 to Sims 4 with all their respective DLC, Sims 3 wins for pretty much anyone with a system strong enough to run it (note the huge price difference however), but on a base game to base game basis Sims 4 is much better, especially without CC in the mix.

I will admit I'm on a very strong Sims 3 kick right now, but that is mainly because I have kind of run out of things I really want to do in Sims 4, and I'm having a lot of fun with Kinkyworld, but that's mostly because Sims 3 is pretty much done being developed, and modders can focus on doing big mods like kinkyworld.  IMO, Sims 4 has so many under the hood improvements over Sims 3 that if Maxis can deliver some real knockout DLC (and the modding community keeps doing amazing things), Sims 4 could become a fantastic game even in comparison to Sims 3.  It'll be in how well they execute.   People really shouldn't forget that Sims 4 isn't "finished" the way Sims 3 is.

Pretty much, I agree completely. I have a fairly powerful system so running Sims 3 was never an issue but I do use a ton of mods, and kinky world, which does slow the game down a bit. Not drastically so, but overwatch was constantly rerouting sims... I do mean constantly. But yeah, the core game of Sims 4 beats the hell out of Sims 3. And as you've said, Sims 3 is a completed game so people can mod it without worrying EA will change something rendering their mods ineffective, plus the 10 or so EP don't hurt. If Sims 4 gets a supernatural expansion, I doubt I'd ever play Sims 3 again, especially if people mod it to the extent that they've modded Sims 3. It'll be interesting to see what EA does because they know as of now people aren't overly happy with the game.

Seriously if you are hoping for anything to happen to TS4, don't.

Yeah, about that, I'll opt to ignore that and keep hope alive. Sims 4 is still early on in it's life/development, there is no telling what changes EA/Maxis will make to the game in the future and how those changes may or may not affect modders desire to mod the game. I'll decide to say fuck it if EA/Maxis doesn't change shit and the game continues to stagnate. But as of right now, I'm hopeful for some improvements.

If there's enough interest, people will eventually just reverse engineer the game and hack in their own features.  EA probably won't like it but there's not much they can do.  People forget that modding started this way - back in those days devs never considered that people may mod their games, mod support wasn't a thing then, and still isn't a requirement.  All it takes is people with enough interest and skill to do what they want with the code.

EA is run by shareholders.  They don't care about what kind of garbage they are pumping out as long as they are making money. 

All I've gotten for -my- efforts is 280fps with regular 15-20 second 'soft freezes' while plumbobs glitter and Z's zzzz.... Or framerate crashes down to 2fps while textures that should still be in the 40% of used GPU memory inexplicably try to stream back in and bring the whole system to a stuttering halt.

Explain me why you need to run something above 60 fps. Poor computer.

It occurs to me, the people who don't seem to have any problems with Sims 3 despite having tons of mods, are running it on older computers and at lower framerates.  Perhaps there is a problem in the engine as with many old games where if the framerate is too high, it confuses the engine and causes these huge hiccups, freezes, and crashes.

If I can figure out a way to limit my fps to something like 30, I might try to run Sims 3 again and see if the problems go away.  I kinda doubt it but it might be worth a try anyway.

Almost all of these problems can be solved by using tuning mods from the NRAAS site, yes, the Sims 3 by itself, using EA's buggy tuning can be extremely frustrating, but Twallan, the original developer of all the tuning mods at the linked site, literally rebuilt how TS3 works interally and optimized a lot of the problems that cause TS3 to be a choppy, bug ridden mess.

I've used NRAAS stuff. They buy me a few extra days at most by resetting the entire town or sometimes removing the family and moving them back. Eventually though it ALWAYS become unplayable.

I've noticed the usual trigger is adding to my family, like if a sim gets married. A reset buys a few more in game days then they teleport out of every action, breaking the object. No action on anything works anymore and the family is ruined.

Archived