Why Sims 4 modding so weak

Jace5

Plain and simple; don't expect much.

Maxis isn't doing great, they're struggling with the tech and money, and losing faith as shown in interviews/tweets.

This is the end of The Sims and Maxis all together. If only they didn't try making The Sims Online 2.0 and scrapping it to make a singleplayer version under a single year because they feared it would epically fail after SimCity 2013 and Sims Social, maybe then The Sims 4, the REAL Sims 4, could've been a hit. They'd be OK, we'd be happy, and there would be no more multiplayer online server DRM bullshit. BUT EAxis shall forever remain as it is, especially with Moore there blaming Sim fans for everything that is wrong and proclaiming developers have all the time and money that they need to make 'quality' products. The jack@ss is so full of himself, he's truly a Trump in the video game business.

Maxis was shut down last year, I have no clue which part of EA is working on Sims now.

Unfortunately I don't have access to NPD Market Data.

VGChartz (no idea how reliable they are) say that the Sims 3 sold a total of 7,5 to 8,5 million copies world-wide.

Sims 4 only peaked after it was reduced by 50% for Christmas and sold somewhere between 1,5 and 2,5 million copies, with only around 130.000 customers picking up the first expansion. 

Add to this the various "If Sims 4 isn't a total success, there won't be a sims 5" interviews from before the Sims 4 launch and one can get rather pessimistic about the outlook for the genre. Maybe we should start a Loverslab sims rip-off with Onikikay as the lead developer (but then, Sims clones like Eidos' "The Singles" or that horrible "Playboy Mansion" were rather spectacularly unsuccessful.)

Sources:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=sims+4&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=sims+3&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/835285/how-does-the-sims-4-sales-stack-up-with-earlier-versions

Maxis as a whole was not shut down, it was only one studio, Emeryville, that was shut down. They didn't even fire the employees and just relocated them. Although I suppose it's possible some decided to go elsewhere. But Maxis is just fine, alive and well. For now at least. Dunno how much longer that'll be with Sims 4 basically being something of a flop, at least in comparison to the other titles in the series. They better hope they can fix it or they may very well go under for real. Sad because The Sims 4 isn't that bad, it's just not that good either. Mediocre at best, but still enjoyable if taken for what it is. Still, lots of room for improvement, which I hope the game receives.

Maxis was shut down last year, I have no clue which part of EA is working on Sims now.

VGChartz (no idea how reliable they are) say that the Sims 3 sold a total of 7,5 to 8,5 million copies world-wide.

Sims 4 only peaked after it was reduced by 50% for Christmas and sold somewhere between 1,5 and 2,5 million copies, with only around 130.000 customers picking up the first expansion. 

Add to this the various "If Sims 4 isn't a total success, there won't be a sims 5" interviews from before the Sims 4 launch and one can get rather pessimistic about the outlook for the genre. Maybe we should start a Loverslab sims rip-off with Onikikay as the lead developer (but then, Sims clones like Eidos' "The Singles" or that horrible "Playboy Mansion" were rather spectacularly unsuccessful.)

Sources:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=sims+4&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=sims+3&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/835285/how-does-the-sims-4-sales-stack-up-with-earlier-versions

Maxis as a whole was not shut down, it was only one studio, Emeryville, that was shut down. They didn't even fire the employees and just relocated them. Although I suppose it's possible some decided to go elsewhere. But Maxis is just fine, alive and well. For now at least. Dunno how much longer that'll be with Sims 4 basically being something of a flop, at least in comparison to the other titles in the series. They better hope they can fix it or they may very well go under for real. Sad because The Sims 4 isn't that bad, it's just not that good either. Mediocre at best, but still enjoyable if taken for what it is. Still, lots of room for improvement, which I hope the game receives.

They need to bring some heat with future eps tbh. I agree w you tho the game isn't bad. I think in time it can be viewed more positively if more interesting eps are released. The potential is there. It REALLY needs sex mods too lol. With the fact that the character editor is so strong sex mods in this game would be insane.

patience. The game is still being actively made. That is the problem. No large mods are worth it right now because by the time you finish making a huge mod for one version the game has broken all you made. Right now were going to see TS3 big mods come out since its done. TS4 maybe we'll get some more for it but besides clothing and interactive objects it's not worth modding beyond that yet. 

Pretty much this.

I prefer TS4 over TS3 any day. It looks and plays beautifully. When I open my TS3 game I am almost crying because of those dead and lifeless sims. The only good thing I can think of are the worlds (of course they come at a cost). The rest: forget it. TS3 is crap compared to TS4.

Sources:

They need to bring some heat with future eps tbh. I agree w you tho the game isn't bad. I think in time it can be viewed more positively if more interesting eps are released. The potential is there. It REALLY needs sex mods too lol. With the fact that the character editor is so strong sex mods in this game would be insane.

Exactly, the game has plenty of potential but EA/Maxis needs to tap it. If coming directly from TS3 to TS4 then yeah, a person is probably going to be like wtf is this shit. But the game has the potential to be really good. I prefer TS4 to 3 because of the graphics but I also like the social interactions/emotions. It doesn't bother me that much that it's not open world as there are mods that give it a somewhat open world feeling but EA def needs to release some awesome expansions or the game will def die a miserable death. Get together is ok, but Get to Work has some issues, primarily with the damn doctor career... I don't even want to really start on that shit. They can't release another expansion like that or the game really might not make it. When you have people that would rather play TS3 over 4, vehemently, you know there is a problem. EA better fix it or the game is done.

Because Sims 4 sucks donkey balls and no one likes it because they got rid of almost everything iconic to The Sims franchise that was added over the years in exchange of EMO drama queen teenage girl Sims.

^so true. I know some love Sims 4 but if you played 1, 2 & 3, you probably don't like it.

After a few months playing Sims 4 + the first addon --> uninstalled and deleted. I was really disappointed. I'm back to Sims 3 now.

I personally think Sims 4 developpers, in particular the animators, are lazy. 

Everything about animations, Guru will say this is too much work because of multi tasking. But it's wrong, they are just lazy. Multi tasking is the same animation for every interactions in the game.

patience. The game is still being actively made. That is the problem. No large mods are worth it right now because by the time you finish making a huge mod for one version the game has broken all you made. Right now were going to see TS3 big mods come out since its done. TS4 maybe we'll get some more for it but besides clothing and interactive objects it's not worth modding beyond that yet.

Pretty much this.

I prefer TS4 over TS3 any day. It looks and plays beautifully. When I open my TS3 game I am almost crying because of those dead and lifeless sims. The only good thing I can think of are the worlds (of course they come at a cost). The rest: forget it. TS3 is crap compared to TS4.

So, in other words, you didn't play it either.

Because Sims 4 sucks donkey balls and no one likes it because they got rid of almost everything iconic to The Sims franchise that was added over the years in exchange of EMO drama queen teenage girl Sims.

^so true. I know some love Sims 4 but if you played 1, 2 & 3, you probably don't like it.

After a few months playing Sims 4 + the first addon --> uninstalled and deleted. I was really disappointed. I'm back to Sims 3 now.

Basegame and the first addon is garbage lol. The get together addon is the first decent one they've made. If they make more like that one sims 4 will take off imo.

Everything about animations, Guru will say this is too much work because of multi tasking. But it's wrong, they are just lazy. Multi tasking is the same animation for every interactions in the game.

I agree on animations. Especially the romantic ones, lol they suck. Sims 2 was raunchy af lol. Makeout really meant makeout. I mean that couch makeout alone shits on all the romance animations in sims 4. I think since sim 3 they were trying too much to maintain a teen rating and the interactions sucked every since.

Sources:

Exactly, the game has plenty of potential but EA/Maxis needs to tap it. If coming directly from TS3 to TS4 then yeah, a person is probably going to be like wtf is this shit. But the game has the potential to be really good. I prefer TS4 to 3 because of the graphics but I also like the social interactions/emotions. It doesn't bother me that much that it's not open world as there are mods that give it a somewhat open world feeling but EA def needs to release some awesome expansions or the game will def die a miserable death. Get together is ok, but Get to Work has some issues, primarily with the damn doctor career... I don't even want to really start on that shit. They can't release another expansion like that or the game really might not make it. When you have people that would rather play TS3 over 4, vehemently, you know there is a problem. EA better fix it or the game is done.

Get to work got boring quick, I think Get Together is a step in the right direction though. They need to continue in that direction. Get together added some nice features and imo made the game more alive. I'm not sure if 3 didn't have so many sex mods people would be still hanging on to it tbh lol. At least not the ppl on LL, could be wrong tho.

Basegame and the first addon is garbage lol. The get together addon is the first decent one they've made. If they make more like that one sims 4 will take off imo.

I agree on animations. Especially the romantic ones, lol they suck. Sims 2 was raunchy af lol. Makeout really meant makeout. I mean that couch makeout alone shits on all the romance animations in sims 4. I think since sim 3 they were trying too much to maintain a teen rating and the interactions sucked every since.

Sources:

Get to work got boring quick, I think Get Together is a step in the right direction though. They need to continue in that direction. Get together added some nice features and imo made the game more alive. I'm not sure if 3 didn't have so many sex mods people would be still hanging on to it tbh lol. At least not the ppl on LL, could be wrong tho.

If the basegame is garbage I don't think everything else can be better. The basegame is the core. Sims 2 basegame was wonderful, Sims 3 basegame was wonderful too. Sims 4 is bad and I don't expect something nice about it... And this is sad.

The only thing that is nice about Sims 4 get together, is the AI where you can make a band the follow you everywhere. The issue is, a modder already did that for Sims 3. I mean, a modder... They HAVE TO do something better than a modder, no?

I've seen some let's play video with get together, and nothing is new with it, really. In Sims 3 you can already do band and such without mods, not as focused as the Sims 4 expansion, but still really good. No, no, sorry, Sims 4 will not going anywhere if they don't change the core, imo.

I know some still love it and I'm glad they like it. But it's not for me. I uninstalled Sims 4 and I need the space for something else, better in my taste. Maybe when I will get some money to throw away I will reinstall, who knows.

If the basegame is garbage I don't think everything else can be better. The basegame is the core. Sims 2 basegame was wonderful, Sims 3 basegame was wonderful too. Sims 4 is bad and I don't expect something nice about it... And this is sad.

The only thing that is nice about Sims 4 get together, is the AI where you can make a band the follow you everywhere. The issue is, a modder already did that for Sims 3. I mean, a modder... They HAVE TO do something better than a modder, no?

I've seen some let's play video with get together, and nothing is new with it, really. In Sims 3 you can already do band and such without mods, not as focused as the Sims 4 expansion, but still really good. No, no, sorry, Sims 4 will not going anywhere if they don't change the core, imo.

I know some still love it and I'm glad they like it. But it's not for me. I uninstalled Sims 4 and I need the space for something else, better in my taste. Maybe when I will get some money to throw away I will reinstall, who knows.

I don't think the base game is garbage tho, it's just a bit different from previous instalments. I'm not going to attempt to convince you to like it tho, if you don't like the game that's def your prerogative. For me, the game has some positives, it has some negatives. However, I hope that in time Maxis can fix those negatives and add more positives.

Indeed. Get to work has some problems but I've only tried the scientist and doctor careers. The scientist is ok, but the doctor career flat out blows. I don't know much about the detective career, but I've heard ok things about it. I know even less about the retail store but I'll try it out eventually. 

I feel the same way about 3. It's the sex mods, and the sheer number of mods in general, that keep people playing it. That and the true open world nature of the game. I think given time tho, 4 will come close and potentially surpass 3. That'll take a lot of work on Maxis's end tho.

I don't think the base game is garbage tho, it's just a bit different from previous instalments. I'm not going to attempt to convince you to like it tho, if you don't like the game that's def your prerogative. For me, the game has some positives, it has some negatives. However, I hope that in time Maxis can fix those negatives and add more positives.

Jace5 said it, I didn't say it, I just responded to his post and used one of his statement. You have the right to think what you want. 

Sims 4 basegame is not garbage, if it was, nobody would like it. Sims 4 basegame and all the things related to Sims 4 wasn't expected by the majority of Sims 2 and mostly Sims 3 players.

The thing is, the game is rushed and even if you like it, you can't say the game is polished and finished. In this case, this is sad, the game could have been better if they had taken additional years in development. 

And yes, Sims 4 is a flop. Not a terrible flop like really bad game, but still a flop, more like Paper mario Sticker star, because it wasn't what the majority of the playerbase expected. 

It's also a flop since Guru made a special thread called "Ask a guru" where you can ask questions and such. Where they give some promises to reassure and calm tensions. And then they started to use some ads where you can see 12 years old girls are the best audience for the Sims 4. I've never seen something like this for previous Sims games.

I don't think it's sex mods. It's the orientation of the game that made angry Sims 3 players when they play Sims 4. The sims 4 is not really a game where you can do whatever you want. The game tell what you have to do, what you have to use.

In the sims 3, you are free to do what you want.

The game will not tell you "do this, if you don't you will not get gold medal" "If you don't use this item, the lot can't be a club" And this is real issue for a simulation game. This should be an option like opportunities are in the Sims 3, but it's not the case in the Sims 4. Of course it's not always the case, but when you go to work with the xpac, when you do a new lot, when you do a party etc, it is.

Sims 4 basegame lack of family stuff. And I don't think an expansion can change anything about it.

I played Sims 3 when Sex mods wasn't here, and a lot. This wasn't the case with Sims 4, sadly.

With households resetting when you leave the lot and come back unlike TS1 and TS2. I cannot see how modding will make things better. Especially with the closed off nature of the game, how would a Kinky World work?! Just on that lot you loaded into then everything gets scrapped all of the sudden because you left to another lot and those Sims all stand around as if they just moved in.

Sims 3 is unplayable for me. Modded or unmodded I can only go for a short while before my sims start teleporting out of all of their actions, breaking whatever item they were using and rendering the entire game completely unplayable. Nothing I have done, no mods, no fixes, nothing has been able to make that game playable again.
I was hoping there would be better modding for 4, since it is a lot like 2. Shame everything is pretty dead.

Finally installed sims 3 and gave it a first time try. Had to get a ton of cc to fix the ugly sims but damn these animations shocked me. Lol I see why ppl are holding on now. Open world is quite cool too. Sims 4 should've had that feature.

Indeed. Get to work has some problems but I've only tried the scientist and doctor careers. The scientist is ok, but the doctor career flat out blows. I don't know much about the detective career, but I've heard ok things about it. I know even less about the retail store but I'll try it out eventually. 

I feel the same way about 3. It's the sex mods, and the sheer number of mods in general, that keep people playing it. That and the true open world nature of the game. I think given time tho, 4 will come close and potentially surpass 3. That'll take a lot of work on Maxis's end tho.

After installing 3 yeah I now see the appeal. Its not optimized and outdated in a lot of ways but it has a charm and that open world is really fun, plus the animations the guys here made..damn. Sims 4 with animations anywhere similar to these would be crazy. It'll be interesting to judge things when sims 4 is a complete game but I agree it can come close. Maxis has to stop being lazy fucks tho.

I find it strange that you can do a quick search on MTS and see dozens, if not hundreds of Sims 4 animations and posepacks, and yet nowhere can you find adult content of any kind.  I get that it's not as popular, but I prefer the art style over Sims 3 (mostly because Sims 4 boobies aren't quite as polygonal, and trying to play sims 3 on my computer (which is a high performace gaming/dev machine) equates to watching a slideshow - apparently you need a really crappy computer to run sims 3 well), but you'd think if it was that much less popular, you wouldn't be able to spend entire weeks browsing through Sims 4 CC on MTS and TSR and still not see everything.  Granted, it's not all great content, but there's sure as hell a lot of it.

And yet very little adult content to be found anywhere (even Sexysims).  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places...

I find it strange that you can do a quick search on MTS and see dozens, if not hundreds of Sims 4 animations and posepacks, and yet nowhere can you find adult content of any kind.  I get that it's not as popular, but I prefer the art style over Sims 3 (mostly because Sims 4 boobies aren't quite as polygonal, and trying to play sims 3 on my computer (which is a high performace gaming/dev machine) equates to watching a slideshow - apparently you need a really crappy computer to run sims 3 well), but you'd think if it was that much less popular, you wouldn't be able to spend entire weeks browsing through Sims 4 CC on MTS and TSR and still not see everything.  Granted, it's not all great content, but there's sure as hell a lot of it.

And yet very little adult content to be found anywhere (even Sexysims).  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places...

i hear you, man. mine's the same way. choppy and annoying and just intolerable. i deleted ALL mods (the whole damn folder) and all downloads. it's still weird. like i fire up the launcher and the maxis sign freezes. the game is still doing it's thing in the background...i just can't see it. i tab out and back in and i see the family screen. half the time i can't even click on anything to load. tab back out...back in. and there is like a 2 second window to click the checkmark to play or else it freezes again. if that succeeds i have like a 10 minute load to look forward to. all of which time i can't see the bar make any progress unless i tab in and out.

after all that...and once in game it's a choppy nightmare lol. not worth the time it took to get into it.

Sims 3 is unplayable for me. Modded or unmodded I can only go for a short while before my sims start teleporting out of all of their actions, breaking whatever item they were using and rendering the entire game completely unplayable. Nothing I have done, no mods, no fixes, nothing has been able to make that game playable again.

I was hoping there would be better modding for 4, since it is a lot like 2. Shame everything is pretty dead.

i hear you, man. mine's the same way. choppy and annoying and just intolerable. i deleted ALL mods (the whole damn folder) and all downloads. it's still weird. like i fire up the launcher and the maxis sign freezes. the game is still doing it's thing in the background...i just can't see it. i tab out and back in and i see the family screen. half the time i can't even click on anything to load. tab back out...back in. and there is like a 2 second window to click the checkmark to play or else it freezes again. if that succeeds i have like a 10 minute load to look forward to. all of which time i can't see the bar make any progress unless i tab in and out.

after all that...and once in game it's a choppy nightmare lol. not worth the time it took to get into it.

Almost all of these problems can be solved by using tuning mods from the NRAAS site, yes, the Sims 3 by itself, using EA's buggy tuning can be extremely frustrating, but Twallan, the original developer of all the tuning mods at the linked site, literally rebuilt how TS3 works interally and optimized a lot of the problems that cause TS3 to be a choppy, bug ridden mess.

Story Progression is probably one of the best additions from the NRAAS tuning mods but many of them help extremely with sorting out little routing and tuning and information based slow downs that cause the base TS3 game to really run like shit after a long period of running the same town even with a minimal amount of mods.

Simple facts are is TS3 is fixable, I have a family legacy I've been playing for the greater part of the last two years in the same town and the only slow down I see in TS3 is when I'm loading the game (To be fair I am pushing probably upwards of 10 - 15 gigabytes of custom CC in my game) and then for about 30 seconds after the game loads while all the tuning packages initialize and disable their EA base game counterparts.

Other than that my game is 100% smooth afterwards and I can play for hours and hours and never experience a slow down or a crash.

Another thing that can help immensely with slow downs and choppiness is to use CC Magic by Granthes, its an amazingly powerful content installation tool which manages your installed mods in a far more efficient way by building content cache packages of your entire mod set, which helps a ton with a heavily modded game rather than just running loose file overrides in the packages folder (Other than sliders and animation mods that is), and is a billion times better at content management than the TS3 Launcher and sims3packs.

Overall you can make TS3 a really good game, its sad that EA never put the time into doing so themselves, but really talented modders and developers did fix it for them, and if you actually put in the time, TS3 with the right fixes in place and a good selection of quality CC, is, quite literally, a better game than TS4 can ever become, simply because of the structural design differences between the two.

TS3 your sim lives in an active world full of other sims and more things to do than any one sim will ever accomplish in one life time. In TS4 you're one family on one lot where everything going on on the other side of your lawn is merely a simulated approximation of an active world.

TS4 will never be the game TS3 was, EA will milk it for all the expansion packs it can sell of course, but simple facts are is just because it says The Sims on the box, doesn't mean its even the same game. The design philosophy is too different, too dependent on selling you parts of the game that should just be there by default...even The Sims 3, all by itself, with no expansion packs at all....is ten times the game The Sims 4 is, even with all the expansions its had to date.

Far as modding is concerned, a lot of modders I know don't bother with TS4 because of the changes to the CASP system. In TS3 you can make a shirt, slap a UV on it and a basic texture and..voila, you have a shirt and if someone doesn't like the color they can change it themselves with no modding needed, in TS4, for the exact same shirt, if you want to have multiple colors you have to provide each color variant yourself as the modder....it simply increases the work load for the mod developer and its a pointless extra time sink to try to create quality content when you have to spend so much more time ensuring that your shirt has more than one color option/design/logo option for people to use.

When TS4 came out, there was a lot of talk, mostly from EAxis about how the modding pipeline had been made far more functionally accessible and how animation and tuning and content based modding would be easier...it was all lies more or less. Its not easier and they don't want it to be easier because quality mods decrease DLC "Stuff Pack" sales.

Simple facts are is TS3 is fixable, I have a family legacy I've been playing for the greater part of the last two years in the same town and the only slow down I see in TS3 is when I'm loading the game (To be fair I am pushing probably upwards of 10 - 15 gigabytes of custom CC in my game) and then for about 30 seconds after the game loads while all the tuning packages initialize and disable their EA base game counterparts.

Other than that my game is 100% smooth afterwards and I can play for hours and hours and never experience a slow down or a crash.

I've seen this kind of comment a few times, to the point where it sometimes feels like victim blaming. I'm really happy for you that you get perfect performance in the game, but don't be so hasty to just handwave away other people's problems with it.

I've never been able to get Sims 3 running smoothly, and I'd consider myself an experienced modder with decent gaming machine... I've got an i5 6500 OC'd to 3.6ghz, 16gb ram and a 4gb GTX 970. OS and pagefile on an SSD, with Sims is installed on a 10k HDD... You just point at Nraas like it's be bees-knees of buttery smooth gameplay, but I've been there, I've dedicated entire days to following their performance guides, to installing, setting up and tweaking every performance enhancing mod they have. I've got different CC Magic profiles with various degress of custom content, from nearly stock to fully loaded, and I think I've read every EA, Steam, Carl's, MTS or Reddit thread on game performance I can find.

All I've gotten for -my- efforts is 280fps with regular 15-20 second 'soft freezes' while plumbobs glitter and Z's zzzz.... Or framerate crashes down to 2fps while textures that should still be in the 40% of used GPU memory inexplicably try to stream back in and bring the whole system to a stuttering halt.

So if you've got any specifics over at Nraas that really worked well for you, a nice itemised list of the tweaks and mods you benefited from in order of effectiveness for instance, then by golly I'm all ears... But if not, how about you stop trying to blow off performance problems like they're our fault for not modding hard enough?

(And TS4 probably won't ever be the game TS3 is. No CAS? Two years down the line?!? ... But by god it's smooth. Smooooooth.)

I used to see the soft freeze issue. What helped me was to move off EA base game worlds as they have serious routable pathing issues....I think someones got fixed versions of them out but I've been using more optimally designed towns from MySimRealty and a few other designers and by itself...using a world with better routable design cuts down the soft freeze issue.

The other part of the fix that worked for me was using Story Progression and Overwatch and Retuner from NRAAS. 

Story Progression fixes the base game Story Progression to a heavy degree optimizing how inactive sims go about their daily lives which cuts down a ton of background threading issues.

Overwatch is an obvious fix for routing issues and stuck/lost sims, the only problem with it lately is that OKW requires you to turn stuck auto reset off, but it still notifies you a sim is unroutable and if you get several notifications you can just click on the picture that comes up and find out if the sim is stuck somewhere or off the world or simply in an OKW scenario and reset as appropriate to ensure you get even less routability issues.

Then theres Relativity which I believe helps cut down on a lot of script based threading simply by slowing down the base game time scale. I usually run Relativity at a numerical solid valid of 17, the base TS3 game time is 39, so that gives me about 50% slower daily time scale, this not only allows my game to feel a bit more realistic where days and nights seem logically long enough, but it also slows down the total number of events trying to fire through the scripting core at any given time which takes a huge load off the game itself. And it doesn't mean my sims are moving at 50% speed or any of the world is, just time in general, and that may seem like its not a factor but it is, each world has tons of script core based events going on in the background outside of the active family and even inactives, there are spawners and validity checks and a huge amount of different things going on, they're all based on the in game clock so the slower you run the in game clock, the less of these internal events get piled up behind each other trying to fit through the game's threads.

Course theres also the obvious modifying TS3W.exe to ensure it has its 4gb flag set and what not, using optimized GraphicsRules.sgr files and since you're running an Nvidia card its always good to go into the setup and ensure you dedicate TS3's rendering to your GPU, especially if you're running a high end GPU or two or more GPU's in SLI.

I can't point at any of that and say "this was the magic bullet that got rid of my soft freezing" but I know they're all substantial parts of what I did to get a playable game out of TS3 with all the Expansions and a ton of CC running. 

Archived