FootIK crash.

Yup the 'continue game no crash' mod seem to be a brilliant solution for the FootIK issue as most of the load issues could be solved with a new/proxy load and that process is automated by this mod.

The mod is not compatible with unofficial skyrim patch as far as I know. It will simply give you a black loading screen with logo. Uninstall the patch and it works like a charm. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just something for information purposes...

One way I've been able to 'workaround' this issue is:

1) start up skyrim

2) go to task manager, set up TESV.exe affinity to use one core only (disable all but one core)

3) go back to skyrim, load your save normally.  It will not crash

4) once the game has finished loading, go back to task manager, enable rest of the cores

5) back to skyrim, profit.

It may be more simple to just load up a 'janitor save', but this may give a bit more insight into what exactly is causing this issue.  Maybe it's something related to thread safety in the game.  If there was a way to make TESV run on only single core until game is loaded, that would most likely make the issue go away.  Failing that.. I don't know.  Would need to find out the actual cause of the instability.  Maybe it's loading something animation related on separate thread, and if it hasn't been able to finish that before certain point, it'll crash when the game world fires up.  That wouldn't explain why it actually works when loading in 'quiet cell' though - I seem to get this most often when loading in large areas such as outdoors.. while indoors areas are generally ok, even with couple dozen actors in the area.

On one rare occasion I got a save that had same issue but behaved a bit differently: instead of immediate crash, I loaded into game in T-pose.. and game crashed as soon as I tried to do anything that would initiate an animation.  Draw weapon, try to move around - anything.  This was inside temple of kynareth, so the area was relatively small, but there's still a handful of NPCs around.  That save, too, loaded fine if I first disabled all but one core.  This seemed to be infinitely and reliably repeatable - that is, every time I loaded that save, it loaded into t-pose and crashed when initiating an animation.  Rerunning FNIS didn't help - and since it -did- load fine when disabling cores, it wasn't an issue directly with missing animation or the like.

This is pure speculation, but it's possible that none of the NPCs there were actually using an animation at the time (sickly farmers laying still on beds, priests etc sitting on chairs and such), so it's -possible- that no character at all triggered an animation at game load - and thus it wouldn't crash until I myself started an animation.  Just saying that it might support the idea that the actual crash is triggered by the game trying to run an animation, when animations have failed to initialize.  Of course the actual problem would still be that animations failed to load.. and as such the fix would also be related to this.

• 1 month later...

Chasing blind lead about FootIK crash.

I found out that both identical named files defaultmale.hkx & defaultfemale.hkx are being placed in

meshes\actors\character\defaultfemale.hkx

and

meshes\actors\character\characters female\defaultfemale.hkx

meshes\actors\character\characters\defaultmale.hkx

I noticed FNIS doesn't place those two files inside meshes\actors\character after generation of its files. So I went ahead and copied them from characters && characters female respectfully. I noticed you load save games just fine without CTDs but you get everyone T-Posed.enb-20170_qpwsnpa.jpg

So this CTDs related to FootIK gotta have something to do with male/female behavioral graph files.

Untitledj_qpwsnps.jpg

Food for thought. Maybe someone qualified will come up real solution. :)

I found out that both identical named files defaultmale.hkx & defaultfemale.hkx are being placed in

and

I noticed FNIS doesn't place those two files inside meshes\actors\character after generation of its files. So I went ahead and copied them from characters && characters female respectfully. I noticed you load save games just fine without CTDs but you get everyone T-Posed.

So this CTDs related to FootIK gotta have something to do with male/female behavioral graph files.

LOL  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

OF COURSE you get everyone t-posed. And OF COURSE you reduce the likelihood of load CTD. By doing what you did you destroy the whole character behavior structure. And Skyrim will not load ANY character animation any more.

Although those pairs of hkx files have the same names, they have completely different content. And by overwriting one with the other, you destroy the root of the behavior trees.

btw.

I would NEVER EVER use this "Continue Game No Crash" myself.

As far as I understand, this fix doesn't fix anything. It simply continues the game when it otherwise had failed (due to running into an error situation of the buggy Skyrim memory management). But the error situation itself is not fixed. So you will continue to run with data which has some sort of inconsistency. 

I had a user reporting animation glitches after using this "fix" and continuing. That's probably one of the less dangerous consequences. Animation/behavior data is not saved, and problems there will be gone after the next save/load.

But do we know if more sensitive data areas aren't destroyed? Ones which burn their existence into the saves? I would never take the risk.

I'm using "Continue Game No Crash" from the start and did not have a single problem with it, actually it made my game stable after crashing at start for 99% times, and now even with almost 9000 animations my save still works just fine, "Continue Game No Crash" just loads the game twice, so Skyrim odd memory management will have more time (?) to load all the data without CTD.

LOL  :D   :D:D  :D   :D

OF COURSE you get everyone t-posed. And OF COURSE you reduce the likelihood of load CTD. By doing what you did you destroy the whole character behavior structure. And Skyrim will not load ANY character animation any more.

Although those pairs of hkx files have the same names, they have completely different content. And by overwriting one with the other, you destroy the root of the behavior trees.

Thanks for enlightening me fore. :D

Could this FootIK crash be related to animations themselves? Specific animations that got corrupted somehow?

and

I noticed FNIS doesn't place those two files inside meshes\actors\character after generation of its files. So I went ahead and copied them from characters && characters female respectfully. I noticed you load save games just fine without CTDs but you get everyone T-Posed.

btw.

I would NEVER EVER use this "Continue Game No Crash" myself.

As far as I understand, this fix doesn't fix anything. It simply continues the game when it otherwise had failed (due to running into an error situation of the buggy Skyrim memory management). But the error situation itself is not fixed. So you will continue to run with data which has some sort of inconsistency. 

I always used workaround but different. I use Portal mod to teleport to qasmoke. You can use other teleportation mods like Teleportation Spell with Menu and Mark and Recall with Menu. Save in qasmoke. Alternatively you can coc UnownedCell if any mods happen to place NPC(s) inside the qasmoke.

Worth mentioning is that ENBoost settings below always get me load savegame but I get stutter. I wish I could set below values to zero in game after I finish loading save game.

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=2
PriorityMode=3

I'm using "Continue Game No Crash" from the start and did not have a single problem with it, actually it made my game stable after crashing at start for 99% times, and now even with almost 9000 animations my save still works just fine, "Continue Game No Crash" just loads the game twice, so Skyrim odd memory management will have more time (?) to load all the data without CTD.

Yes, I possibly have to change my opinion about that mod. I just took literally what the mod name says "Continue Game". That would definitely be a risk. Because CTD is not a bug, it'S only the result of a bug. And by continuing in a bug situation can't be a proper approach.

However in the description it says "it will load your save game in an alternative manner". Unfortunately it does not give further details, but sure doesn't sound like a "Continue Game" approach.

Could this FootIK crash be related to animations themselves? Specific animations that got corrupted somehow? 

I really have no idea why it is called a FootIK crash. FootIK is an engine/behavior feature which adapts movement animations in a way that the feet stay close to the ground, independent of its shape. Generally. Therefore I don't see that such feature can cause a load CTD which seems to be dependent on the number of animations. Among many other things. 

Simply caused by a buggy Skyrim memory management. Not by bad animations.

Yes, I possibly have to change my opinion about that mod. I just took literally what the mod name says "Continue Game". That would definitely be a risk. Because CTD is not a bug, it'S only the result of a bug. And by continuing in a bug situation can't be a proper approach.

However in the description it says "it will load your save game in an alternative manner". Unfortunately it does not give further details, but sure doesn't sound like a "Continue Game" approach.

I think Continue Game No Crash starts a new game, and then have your game load savegame which you chose. I saw initialization messages of mods once savegame was fully loaded with Continue Game No Crash. Also you don't get any load screens (messages) when loading savegame from main menu which was major turn off for me. I prefer to stick to my old ways of using teleport mod and saving in unownedcell or qasmoke

I really have no idea why it is called a FootIK crash. FootIK is an engine/behavior feature which adapts movement animations in a way that the feet stay close to the ground, independent of its shape. Generally. Therefore I don't see that such feature can cause a load CTD which seems to be dependent on the number of animations. Among many other things. 

Does SSE also have buggy memory management?

Does SSE also have buggy memory management?

Probably yes. But due to the larger address range this apparently doesn't take effect. At least not so early.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/85443/?

Load Game CTD Fix by Utopium

First an explanation of the problem which you may want to skip if you don't have some programming experience. Many people perceived the crash on load, which commonly manifested itself as the FootIK bug reported by Crash Fixes, as a memory problem where Skyrim was trying to load too many things at once. Other people thought it was due to bad data in the save that shouldn't be loaded. The problem is related to lots of data to load but the crash is caused by a multi-threaded race condition and not because there isn't enough memory available or because of bad save data. Essentially a programmer at Bethesda forgot to put a mutex somewhere to protect critical data which allowed one CPU core to access data which was not yet finished being loaded by another CPU core. In a vanilla game setup there was only a rare chance of this happening because there wasn't enough data to trigger the race condition, but in a heavily modded game more time is spent on loading data which made it likely for another CPU core to access it prematurely without a mutex there to protect it. The double load methods people used get around the crash on load worked due to the fact less data was loaded between steps which reduced the chances of the race condition happening because processing happened a little quicker with base data being loaded first and then everything else the second load with the base data already cached in memory. The fix that this SKSE plugin makes to prevent this crash from happening is to restrict Skyrim to using only a single CPU core when loading saves to prevent this race condition. Once the save game has completed loading, this plugin will then let Skyrim use all the CPU cores on your system. You may experience slower load times as a result of the restriction to a single CPU core during loading of a save game, but it is generally faster than the double loading of Continue Game No Crash and after the game has finished loading all the CPU cores will be available for use again so there will be no impact on gameplay performance.

Possible fix for FootIK crash. Will check out this SKSE plugin on Monday or Tuesday when I get my PC back from repair shop. 

Basically crash was caused by multi-threaded race for (heavily modded setups) resources being loaded. Multi cores and threads tear apart resources from each other causing crash. That's how I understand it, I am no programmer. But a programmer at Bethesda screw us up forgetting to put mutex to prevent this from happening. :D

i'm playing with this new skse load game ctd plugin for 2 days now and so far everything is working fine no ctd and load times are exactly the same for me. this mod is looking good atm.

Before using Load Game CTD Fix by Utopium did you get crashes on loading save from main menu?

i'm playing with this new skse load game ctd plugin for 2 days now and so far everything is working fine no ctd and load times are exactly the same for me. this mod is looking good atm.

Before using Load Game CTD Fix by Utopium did you get crashes on loading save from main menu?

not always but yes in my current game i have seen lots of load game ctds. they happen at random on saves, sometimes they load up without any fuss sometimes they just refuse to load.

• 3 weeks later...

FootIK Crash Fix, tested on multiple saves working 100% (at least for me).

You guys are gonna kick yourselves after all this.

Here it is:

- Go to Skyrim.ini

- Replace Papyrus with this:

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

Profit.

Well, that plugin does automatically what I've been doing for months now "by hand" - using only single core until game has finished loading (like I posted earlier).  So you could say I've been testing the principle behind it for a very long time - and I've had zero crashes (only crashed once during hundreds of loads, and that one time was related to other issues).

• 11 months later...

just ran into this issue today myself after installing an enb and saving and quitting. kept getting a ctd on load and a message from crash fixes i couldnt see since it went behind the skyrim window but i finally got a SS of it and it said skyrim had crashed while setting up footik some things to try where reduce the amount of animations or keep loading till it worked. what i ended up doing was Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini, then set  AlignHeapAllocate=1 in CrashFixPlugin.ini, Ran FNIS again and it did its job with no error , restarted my computer started the game through NMM via skse loaded an earlier save first then loaded my main save and it worked for me at least for now.

Well i think im still being affected by this after all. after loading save successfully and running the save cleaner and making a new save im still getting the footik message on the new save but the old load a previous save(in my case before the enb) and then load the actual save im playing still seems to work although i dont know how itll affect my save later on corruption wise hopefully it wont T.T

• 6 months later...

Ya know, I haven't changed my mod list, my game was stable for 2 or more months. 

Now, I started a new game, didnt change my modlist, just started new to try new paths for certain choices inside of mod quests, I got the FootIK crash after the second day. Trying the "continue game no crash" thing now.

48 minutes ago, LordArek said:

Ya know, I haven't changed my mod list, my game was stable for 2 or more months. 

Now, I started a new game, didnt change my modlist, just started new to try new paths for certain choices inside of mod quests, I got the FootIK crash after the second day. Trying the "continue game no crash" thing now.

Why not just ignore it? It happens once every blue moon.

3 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Why not just ignore it? It happens once every blue moon.

I know. It's just that I am very paranoid, after hundreds of corrupt saves and messed up games I try to follow strict rules to avoid problems. So, when something like this happens, I immediately think it's something I've messed up again. Have to get over the traumas I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...