FootIK crash.

Guest Djmcshifty

ive taken up making a habit of having a proxy save that i use whenever i start a new game, after ive spent a bunch of time configuring mods and shit, ( usually like 45 minutes in the ASLAL start jail thing), if i get the FootIK thing, i just load the proxy, then load the save i want from there. works pretty well, sorta just circumvents the error, not really fixes it but ive been having this for a while and there doesnt seem to be anything concrete that fixes it. tried reinstalling all the things multiple times but it just keeps showing up, maybe i have too many mods..........

Been having this crash randomly as well  since I updated to Crash fixes version 10 (and enabled UseOSAllocators)

I'd been playing for a while without crashes with crash fixes version 8, then I decided to make a new character and updated to crash fixes 10.

I thought I'd maybe hit some sort of cap on the amount of animations Skyrim could handle since I also updated my SLAL packs but even after removing half of those i still kept getting the FootIK crash, but I did notice my game only crashed after registering the SLAL animations to SexLab and restarting my game(so it is probably related to SLAL or SexLab?).

I did not get this crash when I restarted my game without registering the animations in SLAL.

I've now uninstalled Crash Fix all together and just used the Restringer tool to make my game more stable instead. I have not crashed yet.

I've not tested if I get this crash with the UseOSAllocators setting disabled. (would Crash fixes even do anything without that enabled?)

Thank you for making this thread because I'd not thought Crash Fix could possibly be the cause before I saw this and I'd probably still be screwing around trying to find out what I did wrong smile.png

Edit:

Decided to give it another go and installed Crash Fixes again, got rid of a bunch of mods (dual sheath redux among them which is apparently very script heavy). Been playing for most of the day and have yet to get the FootIK crash, so maybe it was just having too many mods.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, you have been having this crash before you installed Crash Fixes. The difference is that now you get the pop up, and previously you thought it was a "corrupted savegame". The only way a savegame can get corrupt is either via exactly what Crash Fixes takes care of, a too high string count that is, or because you uinstalled a mod mid save (mainly scripted mods, but also ones with worldspace changes). Other than that "corrupted savegames" do not happen, you don't get it via an autosave or quicksave, and a big fuck you to whoever started saying that to begin with. It's always been FootIK, like the Blofeld in the background mucking things up, Crash Fixes is just telling you as much now, and whatever you did to fix it before - mainly load another save that works, then load the crashed save - works the same way it did before, because it's the exact same crash.

FYI, you have been having this crash before you installed Crash Fixes. The difference is that now you get the pop up, and previously you thought it was a "corrupted savegame". The only way a savegame can get corrupt is either via exactly what Crash Fixes takes care of, a too high string count that is, or because you uinstalled a mod mid save (mainly scripted mods, but also ones with worldspace changes). Other than that "corrupted savegames" do not happen, you don't get it via an autosave or quicksave, and a big fuck you to whoever started saying that to begin with. It's always been FootIK, like the Blofeld in the background mucking things up, Crash Fixes is just telling you as much now, and whatever you did to fix it before - mainly load another save that works, then load the crashed save - works the same way it did before, because it's the exact same crash.

nope i disagree.My game was already stable i only installed crash fixes after seeing various guides recommending it and said why not extra stability won't hurt a bit. So i installed crash fixes in the middle of playthrough of my level 38 character with zero load game ctd before installing it. soon after installing on subsequent save loads i began seeing this FootIk popup this was after merely half an hour worth of play. Since posting my comment here on 14 june on this topic i removed it and zero load game ctd since then, save loads every time and im still playing that playthrough level 50 now. so its definitely crash fix specific crash.

to me, once it appears (using crash fixes) reinstalling FNIS and XPMSE fix the problem and let me load the save that wouldn't load before. (xpmse is listed as the last at the very bottom).

This is completely unecessary. Just start up the game as a new game from the main menu, when you have loaded into the game (either into the Live Another Life cell or the cart ride to Helgen, I recommend LAL) then load the save that failed to load, it will now load 100 % certainty unless the save is actually corrupt.

nope i disagree.My game was already stable i only installed crash fixes after seeing various guides recommending it and said why not extra stability won't hurt a bit. So i installed crash fixes in the middle of playthrough of my level 38 character with zero load game ctd before installing it. soon after installing on subsequent save loads i began seeing this FootIk popup this was after merely half an hour worth of play. Since posting my comment here on 14 june on this topic i removed it and zero load game ctd since then, save loads every time and im still playing that playthrough level 50 now. so its definitely crash fix specific crash.

Question, when you got the FootIK crash, had you removed anything from your load order, added something to it, or altered it in any way, including rerunning FNIS or Wrye Bash? I get the crash for no seeming reason (and have to do the pre-load sequence above) when I do one of these with a fairly good certainty. This is because FootIK is rerunning in these cases, and it needs a lot of resources to get through it all, if you are loading your save after a restart, or if you have an above average system with a lot of RAM and a good processor, you won't see the error at this point either.

My guess is that this crash is just more likely to happen when Crash Fixes is fixing stuff, just like you will see more stack dumps during a game you are running Papyrus logs than one where it's turned off.

As long as you are not either running a LOT of animations, and/or running complicated mods which add a lot of strings to your save like mods with complicated MCM menus (like Grimy's MCMs), Interesting NPCs (this mod adds more than almost any other), or Legacy of the Dragonborn (for being freaking huge) you won't need Crash Fixes. If you are combing multiple of these options, your save has an expiration date on it, at some point you just won't be able to load it, possibly after a hundred hours worth of play or more, it just won't work. This is because of the string values in your papyrus save which Crash Fixes was made to fix.

Question, when you got the FootIK crash, had you removed anything from your load order, added something to it, or altered it in any way, including rerunning FNIS or Wrye Bash? I get the crash for no seeming reason (and have to do the pre-load sequence above) when I do one of these with a fairly good certainty. This is because FootIK is rerunning in these cases, and it needs a lot of resources to get through it all, if you are loading your save after a restart, or if you have an above average system with a lot of RAM and a good processor, you won't see the error at this point either.

My guess is that this crash is just more likely to happen when Crash Fixes is fixing stuff, just like you will see more stack dumps during a game you are running Papyrus logs than one where it's turned off.

As long as you are not either running a LOT of animations, and/or running complicated mods which add a lot of strings to your save like mods with complicated MCM menus (like Grimy's MCMs), Interesting NPCs (this mod adds more than almost any other), or Legacy of the Dragonborn (for being freaking huge) you won't need Crash Fixes. If you are combing multiple of these options, your save has an expiration date on it, at some point you just won't be able to load it, possibly after a hundred hours worth of play or more, it just won't work. This is because of the string values in your papyrus save which Crash Fixes was made to fix.

My Mod list is same as it was 2 months ago when i started my playthrough no mods have been updated, added or removed since im still on old sexlab 1.61 and all other mods are as i started playing the game. I only got footik crash after i installed crash fixes before that i had logged 60 hrs into it level 38 character with zero crash ( load game CTD ) game would crash back then too but only before or after sex its always been a problem with sexlab but outside of it zero crashes. One month have passed since i had removed crash fix and no crashes still so that is definitely a crash fix specific problem.

Well im no expert or even a modder but i've had this bug in my game recently, i've done a little research and consulted some of the members of the OSA team (the guys who made Osex and OSA) and so far this is what i've figured out:

The foot ik error is a bug that can happen in any skyrim game, modded or unmodded, the only thing that considerably rises the chances of getting this annoying bug is the amount of animations installed in your game, if the amount of animations in your game doesn't exceed 1000 then it has a very low chance to happen, but i've read that even when the animations are below 900 it still has a chance.

My personal recomendation is that if you have a heavy animation mod (like sexlab or Osex) remove all other animation mods you have in your game (like new magic casting, immersive animations, magiska or the pretty female idles).

And about the crash fixes thingy, the only thing the mod does about the issue is inform you that your game crashes because of it, stopping it from corrupting or damage it, at least that's what i think.

• 2 weeks later...

fyi if u useing crash fixes and u get the footik messge the game has crashed.

ive had the footik for a while and enver foound whats causeing it. but i did find a work around to get past it. the footik only comes up when loading a save(for me its from start mentu)

if u make a new game and always load that first before u load your main game u never get the footik.

alot of my CTD for game loads from main menu has that exact workaround. thank goodness for alternative start

waiiiit a minute. when starting a fresh game i remember there's a HDT high heels log or ini or something (i forget; will edit in) created. it shows up in the overwrite file in MO. i think i'll try deleting that and getting the game to re-create it. miiight be the problem, who knows.

I've ran into that crash first time yesterday, while trying to add SoS support to 2 of my follower mods and change their skeleton to XPMS too on Windows 10 (My testplattform for now). Loading my most recent savegame ended up in giving me the FootIK crash, while loading another game first and then my most recent one didn't. 

After removing the changes I did to my followers (as I couldn't make it work anyway) that crash was gone for good again. (using Crash Fixes 10) And my save loads fine again. 

ive had the footik for a while and enver foound whats causeing it. but i did find a work around to get past it. the footik only comes up when loading a save(for me its from start mentu)

if u make a new game and always load that first before u load your main game u never get the footik.

alot of my CTD for game loads from main menu has that exact workaround. thank goodness for alternative start

waiiiit a minute. when starting a fresh game i remember there's a HDT high heels log or ini or something (i forget; will edit in) created. it shows up in the overwrite file in MO. i think i'll try deleting that and getting the game to re-create it. miiight be the problem, who knows.

I have had a FootIK crash in games not using any high heels at all, even NiO High Heels (which you should be using, HDTHH is very outdated). It's not related.

This mainly comes when I have changed something aorund, like installed a new texture for my character, changed the texture of a character in the same cell I am loading my save into, changed a bodyslide body, things like that. It seems the new information in the load order vs the save causes Crash Fixes or FootIK to get a bit confused and throw up the crash, I havent' ever had it in saves where I just loaded it in as normal with no changes since last time I played, unless I previously crashed from the game.

tbh the footik seems to be random. the guy who makes the crashfix plugin even said he can fix the footik crash but then it will just move to another bodypart. he said he fix the foot crash and then it move to the hand if he fix hand it move back to foot or another part.

i dont think load order has anything to do with the footlk crash as ive had games where havent updated or changed the mods in 10+ hours and it will still happen.

so in short just do the safe save method it  takes very short time anyway to load up a safe save then load your normal save.

I noticed this FootIK crash will only start appearing when I updated FNIS behavior files in mid gameplay. I always make saves in coc unownedcell and then teleport back to the location with Portal mod - link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29447/?

You can also use Teleporation Spell mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14947/?

Loading save from a cell where there are no NPCs will always guarantee you to bypass FootIK crash.

Saves loads fine once you uninstall crash fix so why cant the author make it so crash fix doesn't even report that bug and crashes the game ? that crash is 100 % crash fix related maybe crash fix introduces that bug. im still playing the same game i was playing months ago and my game runs smooth.

Crash Fixes is only worth using anyway, if you set it up correctly. :) 

I just re-checked the changes I did (although they weren't working anyway) to see if I would crash without using crash fixes or not, and the FootIK crash occured with or without using crash fixes, only that without Crash Fixes the CTD happened without the message telling me that it was the infamous FootIK crash.

However, removing the changes I did got rid of the crash while using crash fixes, it didn't get rid of the crash without using crash fixes. Without crash fixes I had to load an older save and from there go to my most recent one. 

So at least for me it is working as intended, unless I do not cause errors accidentally or by will. 

I just re-checked the changes I did (although they weren't working anyway) to see if I would crash without using crash fixes or not, and the FootIK crash occured with or without using crash fixes, only that without Crash Fixes the CTD happened without the message telling me that it was the infamous FootIK crash.

Not all load game ctd maybe FootIk related we have been seeing this load game CTD since day1 of modding even vanilla game has crashed on some occasions for me in past but they always loads 2nd or 3rd time. you will find plenty of topics on load game CTD's everywhere where solution is only to click on load save instead of clicking on continue in menu and they load the save try doing that couple of times with and without crash fix. without crash fix they will load after 2 or 3 attempt but with crash fix they won't load even after 100 attempts.

I never load my game through continue option, and as I mentioned above, after removing the changes I did to two of my followers, as I couldn't make SoS work on them anyway, the footIK crash was gone for good, and my savegames load the first time I try using crash fixes, but they won't do that without crash fixes, so I'd always have to load an older save before the actual one. (Or start the game multiple times, but if you crash 5 times in a row you really get pissed and rather use the work around or crash fixes. Well assuming that it was working the way it should for you, which it actually isn't. 

I really haven't seen the footIK crash before, also I have never seen other various problems people are describing. I'm not using any modmanager, and I install everything manually and keep my stuff up to date. My game is highly modded, full of scripts and as I seem to be one of the few lucky ones that do not have any problem anymore running Skyrim, I really feel it was the best decision I could have made. :) 

I have had a FootIK crash in games not using any high heels at all, even NiO High Heels (which you should be using, HDTHH is very outdated). It's not related.

This mainly comes when I have changed something aorund, like installed a new texture for my character, changed the texture of a character in the same cell I am loading my save into, changed a bodyslide body, things like that. It seems the new information in the load order vs the save causes Crash Fixes or FootIK to get a bit confused and throw up the crash, I havent' ever had it in saves where I just loaded it in as normal with no changes since last time I played, unless I previously crashed from the game.

NiO High Heels? wow that looks like a heck of a lot of work for something i can just ignore...i mean, how often do i bother sitting down?

NiO High Heels? wow that looks like a heck of a lot of work for something i can just ignore...i mean, how often do i bother sitting down?

I think you are misunderstanding how that works.

NiO high Heels is a complete replacement to HDT High Heels where afterwards you don't even need the mod installed; where HDT HH runs a HDT calculation every time you stand up, put on your shoes/boots or use a crafting station (enchanting table etc), NiO High Heels simply use the NiOveride function from Racemenu (can be downloaded separately if you are using ECE) to just change your height dynamically, with a much smoother system made by one of the main authors of SKSE. HDT High Heels put on multiple followers and NPCs can utterly break your game, it will cause greater strain to your CPU (not RAM, GPU, Papyrus or anything, the CPU itself) than anything else you can pull off in Skyrim, as with all HDT,w hile NiO HH is a very easy quick adjustment up and down on your height, and also far more compatible with other mods. Sexlab also has integrated support for NiO High Heels, as do most other mods that use High Heels, other than the high heels themselves. Newer high heels made by smarter mod authors always use NiO HH instead of HDT HH also.

Basically with HDT High Heels putting them on yourself and one follower is pretty much the cap if you don't want to choke your processor. With NiO High Heels feel free to put them on the whole of Whiterun at once, and every bandit girl in the world, and it won't make much difference to your performance.

there's a way to ignore or bypass the bug, in the main menu open the console and write coc qasmoke, once it finishes loading the cell then open your menu and load the savefile you want, once you do this the save should never get the foot ik thingy if you keep loading it like that

oh hey, that's alot better than a new game, thanks!

I think you are misunderstanding how that works.

NiO high Heels is a complete replacement to HDT High Heels where afterwards you don't even need the mod installed; where HDT HH runs a HDT calculation every time you stand up, put on your shoes/boots or use a crafting station (enchanting table etc), NiO High Heels simply use the NiOveride function from Racemenu (can be downloaded separately if you are using ECE) to just change your height dynamically, with a much smoother system made by one of the main authors of SKSE. HDT High Heels put on multiple followers and NPCs can utterly break your game, it will cause greater strain to your CPU (not RAM, GPU, Papyrus or anything, the CPU itself) than anything else you can pull off in Skyrim, as with all HDT,w hile NiO HH is a very easy quick adjustment up and down on your height, and also far more compatible with other mods. Sexlab also has integrated support for NiO High Heels, as do most other mods that use High Heels, other than the high heels themselves. Newer high heels made by smarter mod authors always use NiO HH instead of HDT HH also.

Basically with HDT High Heels putting them on yourself and one follower is pretty much the cap if you don't want to choke your processor. With NiO High Heels feel free to put them on the whole of Whiterun at once, and every bandit girl in the world, and it won't make much difference to your performance.

hmmm...well, i'll give it a whirl then once i encounter difficulties (my computer specs are pretty crap) thanks for clarification