[mod] [CK2] Dark World: Reborn - Updated 13APR2024

Long story short - power issues, led to pc issues, and then life pretty much got complicated from there. I'd bitch and whine more, but I know many of us lost people we knew and experienced hardships these past couple years, and my life isn't as bad as others.

I'm going to try and recover things and hope that what I was working on previously isn't entirely lost. If I can recover it from my hard drive, I'll look to wrap it up like I originally planned back in March, and I read a message from Drax70 where he shared a fix he found that I'll see about working in.

I'll also take a look at the pages of messages, although I'm making no promises about addressing much. I just feel bad for having the last update shit the can like it did, and I finally feel the desire to dabble again.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:57 PM, sage20500 said:

Drew mentioned that it was a potential possibility that he might see about adapting Dark World into CK3; but that if it happened it wouldn't be any time soon do to how CK3 runs (if I recall correctly); if it does happen it probably won't be for another year or two before you see something since this is a pretty massive project for someone to try and convert over to a brand new game engine

Dark World originally just had it where a player could become a succubus. It evolved a lot from that. I've thought about CK3 and while I've dabbled with some tests, I figure if I do make something that gets released, I'd try to keep it more focused, as this one clearly tried to do too much in some cases, and content is lacking in areas as a result.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:27 AM, SamIAmHam said:

You're missing the history of the mods. Drew left and handed control of Dark World over to Locksley. She kept the mod going and Drew came back. He had a falling out with her over taking donations for working on the mod. He took control of DW back and she took the work she did to create LF. Drew renamed DW to Dark World Reborn. 

That explains things for ya. ;) 

Not quite how things were, but close.

Dark World was the original mod, and my first attempt. I made so many mistakes, I ended up rebuilding just about everything in it, and named it Dark World Reborn. Was pretty active in updating it over a couple years, then took a break due to fatigue and life. Was still hanging around Lovers Lab (playing other mods), but not doing much on CK2. From what I understand, Lockeslycrit had a sub-mod to Dark World Reborn, was getting a lot of questions and did some bug fixing, and assumed that Dark World Reborn was abandoned, so she took it over, incorporated parts of her mod, made parts of Dark World Reborn that she didn't use into their own sub-mods. I returned, saw it was taken over. Let things be and started up another mod. There was the pay for content issue - which in hindsight - I have to admit that I lost my shit too quick with it. I took DWR back again, incorporated the stuff from the other mod I created, and Lockeslycrit rebranded her work as LF.

We communicated a number of times, worked to do our best in making them compatible.

In the end, I've a lot of respect for Lockeslycrit, and I do wish I had not gone from 0 to 100 on the pay for content issue. In hindsight, I can think of a couple ways that it could have been handled better, as it did impact the community who uses our mods. You should all know that it was Lockeslycrit who first thought of everyone in talking about compatibility. I may have agreed wholeheartedly, but she's the one who brought it up first and laid the foundation for that bridge.

Okay, didn't lose everything which is good. Biggest loss was the images I had already selected for use in building out my event chains, which means I'm going to have to wrap my head around where I was going and locate some again. I'm going to run things through the validator as well just to see how close it is to being where I can at least post an update. My goal right now would be an update for next week end.

I've got a couple of questions concerning the mod:

Is it possible to recruit some of the villains when you've chosen the hero path? The only one I've got so far is Buddy Syndrome who showed up because of his rivalry with Bob Parr. I'd gladly recruit some of them, especially Harley Quinn would be nice.

Is the beastiality content only triggered if you're playing a female character or a villain? I'm playing as a male lilithanist demon emperor on the hero path, and after 25 years into the game all I've seen so far is the "beast bitch" tag for some women who obviously lay with werewolves. The only other thing that happened was the one time action between Belle and the Beast if you use her to bait him (she didn't get the "beast bitch" tag from that, btw). I've build stables, but that didn't trigger anything.

One other thing: How is it possible that Fenris rapes and impregnates my prisoners and sometimes even eats my children after I vassalised him? He is my goddamn liege, and the fucker is eating my babies! At least I get a message every time he's making a snack of them so I can reload immediately. The impregnation part I only notice when they finally deliver the baby.

It's great to hear you're working on this again, dewguru. The mod is making an already great game so much better. Thanks!

Addendum: I forgot to mention a possible bug: After I converted to Lilithanism and replaced all the catholic bishops with lilithanist females, each time I try to appoint a successor in the religion menu, the only possible candidates are my male prisoners, which of course I cannot choose because male priests aren't allowed anymore. I suspect that there's a wrong variable that instead of excluding males and prisoners excludes all other candidates.

Huh, this mod is still alive, nice. Thanks for your work man!

I've ran into an somewhat irritating issue:

casting major heal when you are bedridden does remove the disease but not being bedridden. My health is back to normal, my character will likely still live for a while but he will stay in bed with regency because the "disease have ended" event never happened. So it would be nice if the healing spell took care of that as well 

also is there a way to somehow, I dunno, ward yourself, protect from vampires? Because at times (usually right after switching to a new character) I get literally dozens vampiric seduction events in a matter of few minutes. And several assassination attempts as well. 

16 hours ago, twolsz said:

Huh, this mod is still alive, nice. Thanks for your work man!

I've ran into an somewhat irritating issue:

casting major heal when you are bedridden does remove the disease but not being bedridden. My health is back to normal, my character will likely still live for a while but he will stay in bed with regency because the "disease have ended" event never happened. So it would be nice if the healing spell took care of that as well 

also is there a way to somehow, I dunno, ward yourself, protect from vampires? Because at times (usually right after switching to a new character) I get literally dozens vampiric seduction events in a matter of few minutes. And several assassination attempts as well. 

Hello and welcome to the site! ?

About the potion "mechanics", they are a bit tricky and unbalanced, thanks for reminding me a "bug" by the way!

Bug report:

-When I try to give/donate a potion to another character, any character, with a problem illness or "condition" to help him/her, they ALWAYS refuse and they throw it away.

I'm in 1409 year (the campaign started in 700s!) and only once, my wife accepted a love potion! The percentage is too low which makes the potions unneeded in the game...

Thanks!

Is there any chance of you finishing this mod? Or atleast creating the rest of the Fairy Tale (Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, and the Little Mermaid) events? And are you going to do a CK3 version of this mod (no clue if you can actually get the Fairy Tale characters right)?

Hey man, there's a problem that I've kinda been ignoring for a while, my images for the Spend Time With command are *sometimes* positioned with like half the image hidden on top of the event screen.

I've tried this with and without the Bigger Events, Bigger Text Boxes, and Even Bigger Text Boxes mods.

Example attached, btw I'm like super impressed that you're still managing this mod after so long, props.

image_2021-09-18_122920.png

2 hours ago, CoolWarGamer said:

Hey man, there's a problem that I've kinda been ignoring for a while, my images for the Spend Time With command are *sometimes* positioned with like half the image hidden on top of the event screen.

I've tried this with and without the Bigger Events, Bigger Text Boxes, and Even Bigger Text Boxes mods.

Example attached, btw I'm like super impressed that you're still managing this mod after so long, props.

??

It suppose to be like that...! lol

It is because it tries to focus on the act, not the "characters" in the pictures!

And yes, the picture needs a bigger update to fit the new event window.

Edited by Drax70
On 9/14/2021 at 6:22 PM, vanpett said:

I've got a couple of questions concerning the mod:

Is it possible to recruit some of the villains when you've chosen the hero path? The only one I've got so far is Buddy Syndrome who showed up because of his rivalry with Bob Parr. I'd gladly recruit some of them, especially Harley Quinn would be nice.

Is the beastiality content only triggered if you're playing a female character or a villain? I'm playing as a male lilithanist demon emperor on the hero path, and after 25 years into the game all I've seen so far is the "beast bitch" tag for some women who obviously lay with werewolves. The only other thing that happened was the one time action between Belle and the Beast if you use her to bait him (she didn't get the "beast bitch" tag from that, btw). I've build stables, but that didn't trigger anything.

One other thing: How is it possible that Fenris rapes and impregnates my prisoners and sometimes even eats my children after I vassalised him? He is my goddamn liege, and the fucker is eating my babies! At least I get a message every time he's making a snack of them so I can reload immediately. The impregnation part I only notice when they finally deliver the baby.

It's great to hear you're working on this again, dewguru. The mod is making an already great game so much better. Thanks!

As no one seems to have answered that one yet, I'll see if I can help.

For the heroes and villains, most of them are recruited through either the recruit teammates decision or the annual hero/villain events, the decision leads to a different selection for both sides and the annual events can be locked by traits, too.

So it depends on the character if one or both sides can get them, for Harley in particular you are in luck, there is an annual event you can get with the hero trait, that lets you recruit Harley if you have Powergirl as a courtier or vassal and Harley doesn't exist yet. Powergirl herself also joins with an annual event if you have the hero trait

For the bestiality part. Do you by any chance use Luxuria Fantasia? Because I had the exact same problem recently.

Those events are locked by the "has_bestiality_content" trigger, which on Dark World is toggled by a game option.

Luxuria Fantasia lists Dark World as a dependency, so everything in Luxuria Fantasia using the same naming will overwrite the Dark World equivalent.

And they also have the "has_bestiality_content" trigger, which used to be turned on in their in game decision options. This option has been removed as Luxuria Fantasia only used that trigger in a single event (that they probably forgot about). Yet the trigger is still there overwriting the Dark World one with no option to turn it on.

If you want to fix that yourself you can go to the scripted_triggers in Luxuria Fantasia, it is in the "LF_scripted_triggers.txt" file and delete the bestiality entry.

The same overlap also happens with other triggers like "has_heaven_hell_content" and a couple more, so the Dark World options on those do nothing if you use both mods, but that is not as much of an issue as you can still manage those with the Luxuria Fantasia menu

On 9/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, vanpett said:

Addendum: I forgot to mention a possible bug: After I converted to Lilithanism and replaced all the catholic bishops with lilithanist females, each time I try to appoint a successor in the religion menu, the only possible candidates are my male prisoners, which of course I cannot choose because male priests aren't allowed anymore. I suspect that there's a wrong variable that instead of excluding males and prisoners excludes all other candidates.

I believe your issue is not with my mod. Unless I've totally forgotten about something, Dark World does not have any custom religions in it. It did many, many versions ago, however, it got removed when one of the DLC's impacted them and other mods addressed it.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:14 AM, James_E_C said:

Is there any chance of you finishing this mod? Or atleast creating the rest of the Fairy Tale (Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, and the Little Mermaid) events? And are you going to do a CK3 version of this mod (no clue if you can actually get the Fairy Tale characters right)?

Highly unlikely this mod would ever achieve the true finish state. It's remaining updates are going to be few, and clearly, while I do make updates, they're pretty far in between.

I've plans for a CK3 mod, and it would entail parts of Dark World, however, would likely (as long as I can control it), be much more narrow in focus, with me ideally finishing up components instead of starting work on something, having a great idea and doing a bit of it, only to never finish what I had then put on hold.

3 hours ago, dewguru said:

Highly unlikely this mod would ever achieve the true finish state. It's remaining updates are going to be few, and clearly, while I do make updates, they're pretty far in between.

I've plans for a CK3 mod, and it would entail parts of Dark World, however, would likely (as long as I can control it), be much more narrow in focus, with me ideally finishing up components instead of starting work on something, having a great idea and doing a bit of it, only to never finish what I had then put on hold.

But the problem is that a lot of people tend to search in the files and see "to do" features and characters, even pictures, that's why they assume and keep asking you about them..! ?

You should make a "clean up" of the files and folders or people will still be "nitpicking", despite your statements. ?

6 hours ago, Drax70 said:

But the problem is that a lot of people tend to search in the files and see "to do" features and characters, even pictures, that's why they assume and keep asking you about them..! ?

You should make a "clean up" of the files and folders or people will still be "nitpicking", despite your statements. ?

I'll have to add removing the TODO comments to my list of things To Do, where it'll sit with all of the other things that are listed there. :)

That aside, I'm presently play testing / scanning / tweaking / wrapping up things. Not certain I'll get it posted before the end of the day, but if I don't, it should be out Monday or Tuesday.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, warpx said:

Couldn't find the solution so I imagine the guy never actually posted the error.log, so, here's mine! It's quite long btw

Thank you for your time

P.s. it's about the overhaul mod "New Era: Old World", here's the .mod file

Reveal hidden contents

name="AAnew Era Old World"
path="mod/New Era - Old World"
replace_path="history/characters"
replace_path="history/provinces"
replace_path="history/titles"
replace_path="history/technology"
replace_path="history/wars"
replace_path="common"
replace_path="common/cultures"
replace_path="common/landed_titles"
replace_path="common/religions"
replace_path="common/dynasties"
replace_path="common/trade_routes"
replace_path="gfx/flags"
replace_path="decisions"
replace_path="events"
user_dir="New Era - Old World"
picture="NEOWICON.png"
tags = {"New Era Old World" "Old World" "Europe" "Overhaul" "Total Conversion" "Post Apocolypse"}

error.log 377.64 kB · 7 downloads

Bump

Also when I tried a little troubleshooting, I found out that removing the on_actions of dwr seems to not make it crash

Let me know if you can understand anything from the error log or you want me to troubleshoot some more..

Thanks again

11 hours ago, warpx said:

Bump

Also when I tried a little troubleshooting, I found out that removing the on_actions of dwr seems to not make it crash

Let me know if you can understand anything from the error log or you want me to troubleshoot some more..

Thanks again

What are you looking for here?

I looked through most of your error log, and I didn't see a single entry related to Dark World Reborn. You've a shit ton of errors related to that New Era: Old World mod.

I can totally understand if DWR doesn't work as expected with an overhaul mod, especially when the overhaul mod itself is swamped with errors.

Also - when using overhaul mods, you typically have to make the change that is covered in the Q&A section of this thread. Take a look at the bottom Q&A on the first page that is under the original post about the mod (the second post).