CBBE Armors ported from Skyrim Mods

Since this is kinda related and I had asked earlier how you went about porting armors I had a question. Gonna sound noobish (cause I am really) but i'm having a hard time here.

Got 3 different armors from skyrim mods. Trying to port them but I'm getting stuck trying to convert them to new nif format. Here's my process so far:

1. Open 3DS with empty project.
  2. Import an existing FO4 mesh using the FO4 type in the nif import window (I'm using vault suit, but have tried CBBE base body)
  3. Delete mesh(es) and leave skeleton.
  4. (Based on guide posted earlier linking to a PDF on nexus) control-a to select all.
  5. Import armor I want to convert unchecking skeleton (have tried importing as skyrim, fo3, and fo4 types)
  6. Export as FO4 type.

At this point is my problem. I usually get some generic error that says "Unknown Error". Sometimes I'll get one that says I have to select a bone. Am I missing a step somewhere?

I didn't think there was 3DS support yet, that might be the problem, but in the meantime You can do it without.  I will write up the full summary here, if you need me to clarify or have questions.  Just ask.

1. Open Nif file of armor you want to use in Fallout in NifSkope

2.  Click on each part you want to use and under file, export as Obj.

3.  Open Outfit Studio and select new project Skyrim CBBE to F04 CBBE

4.  Import all Obj's you exported from nifskope

5.  They will not be sized right so select all of them (not the reference body) and scale down to 0.1 and then move the z axis -120

6.  The armor should now be roughly on the body.

7.  Select all objects and select copy bone weights and under slider select conform all.  move Skyrim to FO4 slider all the way to the right, the base shape should change pose.

8.  Under slider, select Set Base Shape

9.  Now under file select load reference and select CBBE

10.  Use tools on top bar to inflate and deflate the outfit until it covers the reference body, this is where you are setting the shape of the body outfit as it will be in game.

11.  When done adjusting armor,  "set base shape" again and "conform all" again under sliders.  Test sliders to make sure there is no clipping when using extreme settings.

12.  Export Nif with reference.  Don't save project yet.

13.  Make your textures.  You'll need the diffuse map, normal map and specular map.  (There are guides out there on how to do this, but I can expand more if you have questions.)

14.  Open material editor and create new material.  You will need a material for every texture you need.  Not bad if you have 1 or 2 textures, annoying if you have 10.

15.  All you really need to do for material editor is on the second tab 'material'  add the link to the 3 files for each texture.  save them all in the material tab.  

16.  Open nifskope with the model you exported earlier, on each part of the outfit  nif, add the material path to the material you just created in BSLightningShaderProperty and then add the textures to the BSShaderTextureSet.  Diffuse map goes in the first texture subgroup, normal map in the second, and the specular map in the eighth.  (Check CBBE body for reference)

17.  Save Nif and open again in Outfit studio, it should now have textures.

18.  Under File, load reference again, select CBBE.  This will open a second CBBE body ref.  Select your original CBBE body and make it your reference.  erase the second CBBE model.  "Conform all" again.

NOTE:  This step is weird because I found that when I reloaded the nif, I would lose the sliders, this gets them back.  Test sliders, make sure outfit moves with body.

19.  Save as new project.   This should give you bodysliders for your new outfit.

20.  Now you can open bodyslide, select your new outfit and load whatever your preset is.  Build and adjust in outfit studio if you need to fix clipping.

This is what I do.  It was a lot of trial and error.  There might be redundant steps, it might not be the way you do it, but it works for me and as I have already uploaded 8 conversions where this method has worked for me, I am happy with it.

Sounds promising. I did a really rough and dirty quick test but having problems exporting. It says I have unweighted points. Will try later with another model when i'm not falling asleep at the keyboard. Thanks for the detailed info though.

As for 3ds. There's a plugin that supports FO4. Only issue I have is importing previous version nif's to change the skeleton. I don't know what I'm doing there to do that so I get stuck. Ultimately I'd prefer that because it gives me much more flexible control over the initial modeling than outfit studio. Tho O.S. is workable for now. Not going to let me do some of my more desired pieces. Hell some time I want to try porting all of the tera armors...bwahahaha...ya thats for another time.

Since this is kinda related and I had asked earlier how you went about porting armors I had a question. Gonna sound noobish (cause I am really) but i'm having a hard time here.

Got 3 different armors from skyrim mods. Trying to port them but I'm getting stuck trying to convert them to new nif format. Here's my process so far:

• Open 3DS with empty project.
  • Import an existing FO4 mesh using the FO4 type in the nif import window (I'm using vault suit, but have tried CBBE base body)
  • Delete mesh(es) and leave skeleton.
  • (Based on guide posted earlier linking to a PDF on nexus) control-a to select all.
  • Import armor I want to convert unchecking skeleton (have tried importing as skyrim, fo3, and fo4 types)
  • Export as FO4 type.
At this point is my problem. I usually get some generic error that says "Unknown Error". Sometimes I'll get one that says I have to select a bone. Am I missing a step somewhere?

I didn't think there was 3DS support yet, that might be the problem, but in the meantime You can do it without.  I will write up the full summary here, if you need me to clarify or have questions.  Just ask.

5.  They will not be sized right so select all of them (not the reference body) and scale down to 0.1 and then move the z axis -120

7.  Select all objects and select copy bone weights and under slider select conform all.  move Skyrim to FO4 slider all the way to the right, the base shape should change pose.

10.  Use tools on top bar to inflate and deflate the outfit until it covers the reference body, this is where you are setting the shape of the body outfit as it will be in game.

11.  When done adjusting armor,  "set base shape" again and "conform all" again under sliders.  Test sliders to make sure there is no clipping when using extreme settings.

13.  Make your textures.  You'll need the diffuse map, normal map and specular map.  (There are guides out there on how to do this, but I can expand more if you have questions.)

14.  Open material editor and create new material.  You will need a material for every texture you need.  Not bad if you have 1 or 2 textures, annoying if you have 10.

15.  All you really need to do for material editor is on the second tab 'material'  add the link to the 3 files for each texture.  save them all in the material tab.  

16.  Open nifskope with the model you exported earlier, on each part of the outfit  nif, add the material path to the material you just created in BSLightningShaderProperty and then add the textures to the BSShaderTextureSet.  Diffuse map goes in the first texture subgroup, normal map in the second, and the specular map in the eighth.  (Check CBBE body for reference)

18.  Under File, load reference again, select CBBE.  This will open a second CBBE body ref.  Select your original CBBE body and make it your reference.  erase the second CBBE model.  "Conform all" again.

NOTE:  This step is weird because I found that when I reloaded the nif, I would lose the sliders, this gets them back.  Test sliders, make sure outfit moves with body.

19.  Save as new project.   This should give you bodysliders for your new outfit.

20.  Now you can open bodyslide, select your new outfit and load whatever your preset is.  Build and adjust in outfit studio if you need to fix clipping.

This is what I do.  It was a lot of trial and error.  There might be redundant steps, it might not be the way you do it, but it works for me and as I have already uploaded 8 conversions where this method has worked for me, I am happy with it.

Actually, Fallout 4 can directly read and show Skyrim nifs. There is no need for the export/import obj method. You can directly open the Skyrim nif in Outfit Studio, convert them to the FO 4 Body with the reference slider, do the rest of the bodyslide stuff and save your outfit. If there are disadvantages of using the Skyrim nif format then there haven't been uncovered yet.

I'm unclear about all the bone reference values on the ARMA records. If I start making my own ports I'll have to look into that. From what I've seen some mods have it and some don't. Usually the ones that don't are complete body replacer armors, and not ones that are just topical armor pieces like a right arm leather piece or such.

Those bone record that may be present in the ARMA record are use for the layered armor system. They are x/y/z scale values that are applied to the referenced bones. They are mostly present on underarmor clothings and their purpose is to move the armor parts further away from the body to make place for the underarmor. Best way to see this system in action is to equip an underarmor and some armor pieces, switch to third person view and use the companion app to equip/unequip the underarmor.

lordescobar666  fallout 4 can read and show Skyrim nifs?. but i can't get them to load ingame why?

I have to admit that I didn't test it personally. I just noticed that when you load a Skyrim nif into Outfit Studio 3, it does not get converted to the Fallout 4 format. And MrCasual claims here that he didn't do the export/import obj method but still has his Skyrim outfit port shown without problem in Fallout 4. From this I concluded that Fallout 4 can read/display Skyrim nifs.

Maybe Fallout 4 still respects the biped slots (Fallout 4 nifs apparently don't have biped slots anymore) stated in Skyrim nifs. Did you check that slots? Or maybe Fallout 4 can only understand a subset of Skyrims nif format. There is still a lot we don't know yet.

There are very good, but with the bodyslide does not fit well my preset.

Me too, I could scale up a bit the outfits though. I don't even have a huge breasts/butt preset. But it's decently big I'd say. Still, nice outfits !

Remember, that if you have clipping on breasts, you can hide some problematic parts using Zap slider in Outfit Studio. If you don't know how to create Zap slider, you can look it up here, it's really simple and works great on outfits that don't show a lot of skin.

post-12294-0-58371700-1452353546_thumb.png

post-12294-0-82509800-1452353557_thumb.png

lordescobar666  fallout 4 can read and show Skyrim nifs?. but i can't get them to load ingame why?

I have to admit that I didn't test it personally. I just noticed that when you load a Skyrim nif into Outfit Studio 3, it does not get converted to the Fallout 4 format. And MrCasual claims here that he didn't do the export/import obj method but still has his Skyrim outfit port shown without problem in Fallout 4. From this I concluded that Fallout 4 can read/display Skyrim nifs.

Maybe Fallout 4 still respects the biped slots (Fallout 4 nifs apparently don't have biped slots anymore) stated in Skyrim nifs. Did you check that slots? Or maybe Fallout 4 can only understand a subset of Skyrims nif format. There is still a lot we don't know yet.

Did you check that slots? no... i am trying to load a skyrim cell "elsweyr" but i cant get it to load.i believe the skyrim nifs is the problem but maybe i am wrong. is there a way to spawn a model so i can check if it loads ok?

There are very good, but with the bodyslide does not fit well my preset.

Me too, I could scale up a bit the outfits though. I don't even have a huge breasts/butt preset. But it's decently big I'd say. Still, nice outfits !

Remember, that if you have clipping on breasts, you can hide some problematic parts using Zap slider in Outfit Studio. If you don't know how to create Zap slider, you can look it up here, it's really simple and works great on outfits that don't show a lot of skin.

Woo I didn't know that thing, thanks ! Never used Bodyslide in Skyrim so I don't know all the tricks about it ^^ thank you I'll have a look at it :)

You see when i try to use the skyrim nif straight up it says it bones in shape not found in reference skeleton.

Edit: Ok so tested it using just the skyrim nif in bodyslide and all went well until i try load i the exported nif. It just states that it can't load the header and therefore can't load the nif.

Did you check that slots? no... i am trying to load a skyrim cell "elsweyr" but i cant get it to load.i believe the skyrim nifs is the problem but maybe i am wrong. is there a way to spawn a model so i can check if it loads ok?

So we are not talking about armors here? I have no clue about environment meshes.

You see when i try to use the skyrim nif straight up it says it bones in shape not found in reference skeleton.

They shouldn't matter, you can ignore them.

Edit: Ok so tested it using just the skyrim nif in bodyslide and all went well until i try load i the exported nif. It just states that it can't load the header and therefore can't load the nif.

Tried to load where?

@quin666

Not all beth games are the ID's that easy to find as they are in skyrim for fallout 3/new Vegas and oblivion you have to either look at the load order to figure out what the ID is or you have to use CS/GECK (creation kit) (fallout 3/new Vegas) because you will get nothing if you try the help item name for those games.

@quin666

Not all beth games are the ID's that easy to find as they are in skyrim for fallout 3/new Vegas and oblivion you have to either look at the load order to figure out what the ID is or you have to use CS/GECK (creation kit) (fallout 3/new Vegas) because you will get nothing if you try the help item name for those games.

I was ready give up just like happy, ready make silly post about posting id codes into mods just like ww15 but past experience should kick in telling you try all options before quitting. Option one is esp name. Option two mod name inside texture or mesh folder. If both don't work you have every right make rant post.  :lol:

• Import an existing FO4 mesh using the FO4 type in the nif import window (I'm using vault suit, but have tried CBBE base body)
  • (Based on guide posted earlier linking to a PDF on nexus) control-a to select all.
  • Import armor I want to convert unchecking skeleton (have tried importing as skyrim, fo3, and fo4 types)
  • Export as FO4 type.

Actually, Fallout 4 can directly read and show Skyrim nifs. There is no need for the export/import obj method. You can directly open the Skyrim nif in Outfit Studio, convert them to the FO 4 Body with the reference slider, do the rest of the bodyslide stuff and save your outfit. If there are disadvantages of using the Skyrim nif format then there haven't been uncovered yet.

There must have been a reason why I didn't do that, I will try again and see what I was doing wrong.

Edit:  I see now, When you start a new project then import the skyrim Nif, outfiit studio crashes.  If you import the nif then load the conversion reference, it works.  Thanks for this :)

• Export as FO4 type.

There must have been a reason why I didn't do that, I will try again and see what I was doing wrong.

Edit:  I see now, When you start a new project then import the skyrim Nif, outfiit studio crashes.  If you import the nif then load the conversion reference, it works.  Thanks for this :)

Good luck. :sleepy:

They shouldn't matter, you can ignore them.

Tried to load where?

My bad, tried loading them in nifskope to add the texture paths

So we are not talking about armors here? I have no clue about environment meshes.

yes we talking about environment meshes they cant not be so different from the armors meshes?

My bad, tried loading them in nifskope to add the texture paths

For me it sounds that you tried to load them into an old version of nifskope. Are you sure that you are using version 2.0?

But what about the meshes that require custom skeletons/hdt, etc... Some nifs that i try to work with show the "invalid bones" error. Or you can overlook that?

They shouldn't matter. You can ignore them. If they still bother you then remove the weight painting in outfit studio 2 and clean the nif prior to opening it in outfit studio 3.

yes we talking about environment meshes they cant not be so different from the armors meshes?

I am pretty sure that when I open the nif that it has completely different nodes than armor nifs.

Wow ok. So lots of stuff since I last checked. I've tried this load old nif from skyrim in OS then load reference but bad luck.

I load OS empty, then use Load Outfit and pick the nif and hit OK.

I then get a long list detailing about "Invalid bones" stating they're not found in the reference skeleton. Is this what's supposed to happen?

I then click ok and ignore it and proceed to load a reference body. I've tried the Skyrim CBBE to FO4 CBBE and the reference body loads underneath the outfit. Is this supposed to happen?

At this point i'm stuck because they don't really line up.

If i use the move for a z-axis -120 it overlays pretty close. I can then conform and use the sliders as normal. Is this what I'm supposed to be doing?

I haven't had a chance to try in game yet as I'm not at home and doing this all remotely.

Archived