NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

Interesting. It looks like NMM behaves differently in uninstalling this mod. I guess it depends on other mods related to this mod and the method of uninstallatin. For instance: Plain unistallation of some mods mostly remove all traces but disabling those mods first and then uninstalling them removes them 100%. Well, NMM is still in Beta phase and need a lot of work yet.

Thank you for sharing your experience Slorm. :)

Ah that's worth knowing, thank you.

I've been using the "uninstall from all profiles" option to remove mods, I'll try the uninstall mod option first next time, then the all profiles option

Interesting. It looks like NMM behaves differently in uninstalling this mod. I guess it depends on other mods related to this mod and the method of uninstallatin. For instance: Plain unistallation of some mods mostly remove all traces but disabling those mods first and then uninstalling them removes them 100%. Well, NMM is still in Beta phase and need a lot of work yet.

Thank you for sharing your experience Slorm. :)

Ah that's worth knowing, thank you.

I've been using the "uninstall from all profiles" option to remove mods, I'll try the uninstall mod option first next time, then the all profiles option

Thank you. I accidentally discovered this "trick". Why is so, I don't know, but it worked in my game. NMM's biggest problem is being unable to completely uninstall mods that are large in size and if they are co-dependent. Especially ones that are dealing with textures and meshes.

Hi i have a problem perhaps you can help. Windows 10 crushed my C device,unfortunately my NMM was istalled there. I reinstalled my old Windows now i tried to get my NMM to work but it will not work Nmm dount show my installed Skyrim mods. I did a backup from my files but i dount now if i have all the needed data. I have:

a backup of my Skyrim game from Steam with all the folders (Mods,Textures...)

the files for my documents that meens the my documents Skyrim...and Nexus mod manager with the "loot" file and trace log data

and the file Games NMM/skyrim/istall info and the file mods.

I hope you can help me :)

Hi i have a problem perhaps you can help. Windows 10 crushed my C device,unfortunately my NMM was istalled there. I reinstalled my old Windows now i tried to get my NMM to work but it will not work Nmm dount show my installed Skyrim mods. I did a backup from my files but i dount now if i have all the needed data. I have:

the files for my documents that meens the my documents Skyrim...and Nexus mod manager with the "loot" file and trace log data

Hi,

sorry for late answer. Since I do not understand completely what's you problem with NMM (my limited English), I asked my friends to help you with this. I hope they will answer your question soon.

My apologies for being unable to provide you help by myself. :(

P.S. English is not my native language and sometimes I have difficulties to understand what people are trying to say as it it in you case now. But I'm learning every day.... :)

I suspect I know what you are missing, you will need to copy the old NMM database and mods back to their original place as well.

For example NMM inself installs into C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager" on my pc however there is a separate directory at c:\Games which contains the Nexus Mod Manager folder with all your settings and mods. Yours may be in a different location, it depends on where you told NMM to put it. If you can find it on your backup and move on to your c: drive in the correct place you should be in business.

since you are saying that win 10 crushed you c device i am going put on a limb and say that was your main hdd, if so you will have to re-install every one of your mods again so the database of installed mods can be recreated, if in backing up your mods folder the database files was not backed up also.

built-n windows backup does not always pick up every thing that needs to be unless told to do so(and sometimes not even then)

i hope this is not confusing in any way, 

it sounds like if the back up was thru nmm then there is a bug in that nmm.

New tip:

Mods downloading, but not activating on NMM 0.61.+

If you downloaded certain mod using NMM manager and it "refuse" to activate it, there can be several reasons for that:

1. manager downloaded mod but with errors

(suggestions):

- check for error reports in Mod activation Quene Monitor. If there are no errors report(s) do next step:

- delete downloaded mod, exit NMM, restart NMM and download mod again

- If the problem remain, download the mod manually

If NMM reported error in downloaded mod or during downloading process there can be several reasons:

- server error

(suggestions):  try to download later

- mod's error

- NMM manager error

2. Mod is probably not meant to be installed via NMM

(suggestions):

- install mod manually following mod's author insturctions

- after installation open NMM and activate mod in Plugins tab

- if NMM still doesn't acivate mod then it's a probably bug in NMM.

3. Mod was uploaded with errors

(suggestions):

- check often the author's info and read the users posts on his original site about bug reports and author's notes. Report error to the author of the mod.

4. Probable bug in NMM

(suggestions):

- report bug to NMM bug report on Nexus. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/tracker/

To be able to report bug, you have to be a registered member on Nexus.

Before installing mod, always check downloaded mod with decent Anti virus program.

Note: this post is also added to OP as a topic.

Notice to all visitors/NMM users:

Although I created this thread I have no exclusive rights for providing answers. You can all participate in helping others. So, if there is a need for help and you know how to help, please do, do not wait for me to answer first. You don't need my approval. It's your right. :)

****provocations like: MO is better then NMM and advertising MO in this thread will be immediately reported to moderators.

New info:

Uninstallation of USKP patches and installation of Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (USLEP) 3.0

Just uninstalled all USKP 2.1.3b patches via NMM 0.61.3. Had no major problems except the manager froze during uninstallation of Dragonborn USKP. I closed the program, reopen it and continued with de-installation. This time all went well. (you might not to have this problem but if you do, please, let me know).

Installation of Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch 3.0 went without problems. I ran LOOT and Wryebash from NMM after operation and my game runs fine.

Beware: Some of your mods that depended on USKPs might not work well or not work at all with USLEP. Check for theirs update and USLEP compatibility and if there is none, uninstall particular mod.

Just a short note on USLEP, if you use an older version of LOOT it does not put the .esm behind the Dragonborn.esm but a bit further down behind Sexlab.esm. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference but it's easily corrected by adding meta data to force it into its correct place.

It is placed correctly with the latest version of LOOT.

There are some differences in the load order between the versions so some people still use the older versions, hence this posting

Just a short note on USLEP, if you use an older version of LOOT it does not put the .esm behind the Dragonborn.esm but a bit further down behind Sexlab.esm. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference but it's easily corrected by adding meta data to force it into its correct place.

It is placed correctly with the latest version of LOOT.

There are some differences in the load order between the versions so some people still use the older versions, hence this posting

Thank you slorm for this note. I appreciate it. :)

You're mods should be in VirtuallInstall. If you want to change its installation location open NMM, go in the Tools menu, click on Change Virtual Install and then select the new path, NMM will automatically uninstall stuff from the old location and activate it in the new folder.

If it will not work I wrote a post how to do a simple trick that all mods would be installed. Just scroll back 1 or two pages and you will find it. :)

Hm.. Ever since I updated to that newer version, my game folder (+ virtualinstall folder) tends to get incredibly big. Instead of around 30GB, it installs the mods directly in my game folder as well as the virtualinstall folder. I looked this issue up but I can't seem to find anyone that has it as well (or sees it as a problem). Any idea how to fix it?

(it's a pain when your game folder takes up more than half of your SSD's capacity).

Anthares -this is what one of the mod author said about your "problem":

Mods are now taking up double the space with this version of NMM. Why is this?

The short version: it's not.

The long version: we're using a system in Windows known as hardlinks and symlinks (depending on whether you install to different hard-drives or not, NMM picks the best one for the task). Essentially, these are shortcuts that your operating system uses to stop the duplication of data while still presenting data in multiple folders. For example, your "Documents" folder in windows uses a similar sort of shortcut.

Using this system, NMM installs your mods to a single folder you specify in the settings and then places shortcuts in your game folders pointing to where the mods actually are for the game you're using. The shortcuts in the mod folder look and act exactly how they would if the files themselves were in the mod folder, but they're not. This is what allows us to accommodate multiple profiles without continually installing and uninstalling mods, and in a quicker fashion than manually uninstalling and reinstalling the mods you want to use.

The folder will make it look as though the shortcuts are taking up a lot of space, but they aren't. If you use 1GB of mods then NMM will still only use 1GB of space, not 2GB of space like a quick check might show. The easiest way to test is to check your available hard-drive space. It won't have increased any more than before.

If you still not satisfied I would recommend you to use this mod: It reduces Sykrim texture size by compressing them without losing textures quality:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?

What NMM uses if very powerful, I used it to get my Saves to my SSD even if my OS is on a HDD.

Works like this:
This is on my Skyrim Exclusive SSD, and the tink-target.
E.\Skyrim Saves\

Skyrim saves are stored in:
C:\Users\AkzyraX\Documents\my games\Skyrim\Saves

Setting a link from the Saves folder to my SSD makes it look like the files are in both places, taking up space when checking folder size.
This is because the folder is the exact same as the link-target. And only there, on my SSD.

Did some testing with Symbolic Links as it across different drives:

Size with Saves:    298 MB   (selected all files in Documents\My Games\Skyrim)
Save Folder:        143 MB
Without:            154 MB   (all but Saves Folder)
Parent Folder:      154 MB   (Documents\my games\Skyrim selected)

If you select all Files, it includes the Link. If you select the parent folder, it does not.

What NMM uses if very powerful, I used it to get my Saves to my SSD even if my OS is on a HDD.

If you select all Files, it includes the Link. If you select the parent folder, it does not.

Thank you very much for this tip my friend. I have no SSD so I do not how it works in practice and I could only quote other people's saying.

A new tip - Mod disabling before uninstalling

I did a several tests on textures, meshes and heavy scripted mod. Most of us usually just uninstall our mods via NMM. Since NMM has a problem with uncompleted mod uninstallation that causing some textures, hair, meshes and similar glitched, i decided to do some tests. Did tests on 5 different mods from the sentence above. Before running uninstallation, I clicked on "Disable" mod first and when NMM diabled mod, then I ran unnistall. I was pleasantly surprised how things works better now. So, It works for me and it should work for you too. (I hope so) ;)

New NMM 0.61.5 version is out:

post-894077-0-02371800-1452260707_thumb.png

Download: my OP under NMM - downloads (Virus free rar and .exe installers): or you can go directly to Nexus: http://www.nexusmods...ds/modmanager/?

Please read if you are upgrading from NMM version 0.56.1 or lower: this is a MAJOR update of the Nexus Mod Manager that will uninstall all your mods and then attempt to reinstall all your mods in the current order. Please read the site news for more information before proceeding.
Version 0.61.5Warning: This version requires .Net Framework 4.6 (If you're not using Windows 10, you can download it HERE )

Impact: Minor
Type: Minor Tweaks
  1. Fixed issue with Fallout 4 categories.
  2. Reworked contextual menu for the Mods control.
  3. Tweaked source code and updated to .Net Framework 4.6.

Looks like it needs MS .Net v4.6.

If you're not using win10 you can get it from here for Vista, win 7 and 8.1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48130

I've not tried this version as it's only minor tweaks and .Net upgrades can be problematic on some rigs. I have to say that I've never had a problem myself with .Net but I'll hold off until I see what the tech boards have to say about it

Looks like it needs MS .Net v4.6.

If you're not using win10 you can get it from here for Vista, win 7 and 8.1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48130

I've not tried this version as it's only minor tweaks and .Net upgrades can be problematic on some rigs. I have to say that I've never had a problem myself with .Net but I'll hold off until I see what the tech boards have to say about it

Thanks Slorm. I have WIn 7 and you cannot install NMM 0.61.+ unless you install Netframewrok first. The good thing is that NMM automatically leads you to its installation. :)

Thanks Elf Prince

After taking my usual weekly disk image, I've updated and it all went smoothly. I was a little concerned in case going to .NET 4.6 broke anything that used earlier version but all seems okay.

I've had a chance to properly test NMM 0.61+ rolling backwards and forwards with SL versions and it seems to work really well, everything came out cleanly providing you deactivate first as you pointed out. There's some logic in what they've done as deactivating clears the links out of the /data directory but the mod still reside in the virtual directory for use in other profiles. The uninstall from all profiles could do with a little tidying up I guess but it's no big issue once you know about it.

They've done a good job with this version, I'm quite impressed