NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

12 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

Short overview of testing 0.63.19 version

All right NMM folks, I broke my word that I will not install any 0.63.+ version but I did. The reason for it was my screwup of Skyrim.esm using "NPC Visual transfer tool". It's not the mod's fault, but mine. I wanted to change Ahlam's and A. Avenicci's face. I succeeded in the first case, but screwed Avenicci. The mod author warned about irrecoverable errors and glitched head textures and offered few solutions in the case the user like me do something wrong. Since none of the solutions he offered worked except probably CK fix which I don't have and don't know how to use it, I had to reinstall my Skyrim from the scratch. Anyway, it bugged me to see if the fixes listed in the latest version works so I installed fresh 0.63.19 version. I'm not talking about upgrading from 0.61.23, but the new installation and here is my impressum.

1. Installation of the latest version went without any problems. I even didn't have to set new VirtualInstall location, but I addressed NMM to existed one and it accepted all 137 mods.

2. I installed mods using "only by one" method since I like to be in the control and I know the "procedure" and order of the mods' installation. Had no problem with any mod installation and all went very fast even with the large mods (80-100 MB) and heavy scripted mods.

3. This time NMM didn't screw up my textures and meshes mods. It "learned" to install them as they should be installed.

4. Co-operation and integration of FNIS 7, Wryebash 307.1 Beta, latest LOOT 0.12.1 works spotlessly.

5. Didn't test backing up and creating new profile since it's always worked for me in previous versions and I'm not using more then one profile any more since I have no need for it.

Conclusion: I warmly recommend upgrading NMM. Better: installing fresh new NMM version, BUT, as my good friend @RitualClarity said: if everything works fine for you in present NMM version, don't do it. :smile:

Nice post, very informative. :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

@Elf PrinceI've looked at your post a few times now and I've thought about upgrading since I'm on Fallout 4 and this whole .esl thing is intriguing to me, but I don't want to run the risk of screwing up my whole game by upgrading.

Spoiler

• New features
    • Added new functionality on the mod's tab right-click context menu where the user can now turn off mod update checks (and automatic mod renames) for specific mods.
    • NMM will now try to automatically setup Fallout 4's ini for modding. (thanks to user smaitlx1 on Github)
    • Users can now disable multiple mods at once. (thanks to user Arefu on Github)
  • Bugfixes
    • Remove mod manager column size timer which sometimes results in columns being resized too narrow and not allowing user to expand them. (thanks to user smaitlx1 on Github)
    • Fixed issue where the UI could become unresponsive while parsing the mod's download date. (thanks to user Xebeth on Github)
    • Fixed incorrect trimming of UNC paths. (thanks to user Xebeth on Github)
    • Fixed an infinite loop during the startup UAC checks. (thanks to user Xebeth on Github)
    • Fixed issue causing the state of the Update Warning and Update Checks toggles to be lost or incorrectly set on newly downloaded mods.
    • Removed the codesigned uninstaller since the signature was no longer valid.

The part that freaks me out the most is the "highlighted line" since it seems like it would be counter intuitive to creating and maintaining good ini configurations, what is your experience with this ? I am considering reinstalling my fallout mods since I use Horizon now and will look at remaking all patches but I don't want to upgrade if there is little need, also the functionality of the highlighted line puts me off, also to top it off Vortex is only 2 weeks or so away from a release now, according to the Nexus.

Is there a way to turn that feature off, because that feature sounds annoying as all hell and also because I use bethini which does that little tweak and so much more and with that program I know it's going to happen because I asked for it, my problem is that with NMM the way it's setup is it does that in the background from what I'm understanding which is something I'm not a fan of.

Thanks for clearing that up though, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new version up

New features
        NMM is now able to handle large mod files (2GB+) thanks to the new mod archive management using streams instead of loading the whole file into memory. (thanks to user squid-box on Github)

Bugfixes
        Fixed issue preventing users from closing the manager when there was an ongoing mod installation. (thanks to user Arefu on Github)
        Fixed long-standing issue that caused NMM to be unable to start with a corrupt config file.
        Fixed an issue that could cause the Virtual config setup to be reset when using a fresh NMM install on an already configured virtual folder.
        Fixed inconsistencies with the Update checks/warnings management.

Normally I wouldn't bother upgrading as the old version is fine, but the 2 GB file fix looks like it's worth taking a chance. Saturday being my maintenance day when I take a weekly disk image anyway, I thought I'd try it once that was done.

So far no problems, it installed correctly and seems to work okay though I haven't really tested it that much so far.

Few posts back @Elf Prince mentioned waiting on the NMM/MO2 Hyrbrid.  It's called Vortex and is in limited Beta right now.  I have it and as an NMM and MO2 user, I have a few thoughts on it.

1. The interface is slick, clean, and mostly intuitive - full documentation is still forthcoming, but overall I found it easy to use - as it's similar to NMM
  2. Game directory still affected.  While Vortex does appear to install the actual mod files outside of the game directory, it does not use a virtual data folder like MO does.  In the game directory I found reference files to all installed content, vanilla overwrites, etc. - operating like NMM did.  Mods are not truly "installed" they are now "deployed" which adds the reference links back to the mod files outside the game directory.  They called this "hardlinking" and it was a requirement for Bethesda's engine.  Other supported games, do not use "hardlinking".
  3. No ability to manually sort load order/plugins.  The authors felt that most users don't know how to "properly" do this, and opted to have LOOT do it for the user.  One can still affect a manual sort by creating rules and dependencies in LOOT - but that is very time consuming and unintuitive.  In other words, you cannot pick up a mod and drag it higher/lower like you can with both NMM and MO.

For me, #2 and #3 make Vortex a non-starter for large load orders with complex sets of mods.

2 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

For me, #2 and #3 make Vortex a non-starter for large load orders with complex sets of mods.

Many thanks for posting, that was a really useful review.

For me #3 means it's dead in the water as far as I'm concerned. It's poor design based based on the generalisation that all users are as "thick as shit". Yes some are, but many are not and are quite capable of understanding what their load order should actually be rather than LOOT's generic ordering which is sometimes wrong

4 hours ago, Slorm said:

Many thanks for posting, that was a really useful review.

For me #3 means it's dead in the water as far as I'm concerned. It's poor design based based on the generalisation that all users are as "thick as shit". Yes some are, but many are not and are quite capable of understanding what their load order should actually be rather than LOOT's generic ordering which is sometimes wrong

Agreed - Tannin (author of MO and lead on Vortex) has been of the opinion that most users just group like mods with like mods.  While that may be true - there are other users who prefer the freedom of moving things about, without relying on a third party software to do so.  For example, I have over 400 mods with 250 plugins - all running flawlessly on MO2 for Fallout 4 - and I haven't opened Loot once.  I'm probably in the minority and I recognize that, but as a design decision - to not include the feature, I think is short-sighted.  Time will tell if they include it or not.  We are still in the early days of Vortex, after all.

20 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

Few posts back @Elf Prince mentioned waiting on the NMM/MO2 Hyrbrid.  It's called Vortex and is in limited Beta right now.  I have it and as an NMM and MO2 user, I have a few thoughts on it.

Thanks for the info. I purposely didn't mention the name of (alpha in the time when was released) Vortex manager for it is limited. I didn't receive a test version so I couldn't say anything about it. But you did a great job. Thank you. :smile:  As far as I'm concerned, reading your comment about it, I will stay away from it. :smile:

19 hours ago, Slorm said:

There's a new version up

New features
        NMM is now able to handle large mod files (2GB+) thanks to the new mod archive management using streams instead of loading the whole file into memory. (thanks to user squid-box on Github)

Bugfixes
        Fixed issue preventing users from closing the manager when there was an ongoing mod installation. (thanks to user Arefu on Github)
        Fixed long-standing issue that caused NMM to be unable to start with a corrupt config file.
        Fixed an issue that could cause the Virtual config setup to be reset when using a fresh NMM install on an already configured virtual folder.
        Fixed inconsistencies with the Update checks/warnings management.

Normally I wouldn't bother upgrading as the old version is fine, but the 2 GB file fix looks like it's worth taking a chance. Saturday being my maintenance day when I take a weekly disk image anyway, I thought I'd try it once that was done.

So far no problems, it installed correctly and seems to work okay though I haven't really tested it that much so far.

Thank you for uploading info about latest NMM version. Unlike you, I had opposite experience with it except the two topics you mentioned.

This version of NMM is a hell fucking failure and mistake (at least in my case). First of all, it started to come in conflict with latest Wrye bash 307 beta 2. Second, it doesn't remove .esp from uninstalled mod (Diverse Skyrim) which resulted in locking .esp file as undeletable. There was no fucking way to deleted .esp from Wrye bash and from Windows manager. I had to use special tool to delete it. And it's not the only mod that have such problem. Reverting to older previous version is fucking messy: it doesn't recognize back up file or/and DOT.index in VirtuallInstall. It's not fixed. It even make things worst. Very bad version and fucking annoying. As I say, it didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for others. It's not fixed.

2 hours ago, Elf Prince said:

Thank you for uploading info about latest NMM version. Unlike you, I had opposite experience with it except the two topics you mentioned.

This version of NMM is a hell fucking failure and mistake (at least in my case). First of all, it started to come in conflict with latest Wrye bash 307 beta 2. Second, it doesn't remove .esp from uninstalled mod (Diverse Skyrim) which resulted in locking .esp file as undeletable. There was no fucking way to deleted .esp from Wrye bash and from Windows manager. I had to use special tool to delete it. And it's not the only mod that have such problem. Reverting to older previous version is fucking messy: it doesn't recognize back up file or/and DOT.index in VirtuallInstall. It's not fixed. It even make things worst. Very bad version and fucking annoying. As I say, it didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for others. It's not fixed.

So far I've not had problems here but I've got yesterdays disk image to fall back on if I start getting problems.

I just tested removing an active mod and the esp was cleared correctly, it then installed correctly as well. Bear in mind though, I have a simple set up with only 113 active mods and 80 plugins and no profiles except the default. Also I'm not using Wrye Bash so that may account for our different experiences.

My recommendation for anyone that wants to try this (or anything new) is take a disk image first, it's saved my life a few times over the years

7 hours ago, Slorm said:

So far I've not had problems here but I've got yesterdays disk image to fall back on if I start getting problems.

I just tested removing an active mod and the esp was cleared correctly, it then installed correctly as well. Bear in mind though, I have a simple set up with only 113 active mods and 80 plugins and no profiles except the default. Also I'm not using Wrye Bash so that may account for our different experiences.

My recommendation for anyone that wants to try this (or anything new) is take a disk image first, it's saved my life a few times over the years

I returned to NMM 0.56.1. Can't tell you what a wonderful feeling. That old manager works perfectly with latest Wrye bash. Had no single crash during the mods installation and all went flawlessly. I don't need the latest NMM for I'm not playing FO4 and SE Skyrim. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @daedal

About VORTEX

The new version 0.13.0 was released on 13th of February, BUT:

NOTE: While this file page is now public, the files contained within are updates for users who are already in the limited alpha. If you don't know what that means, or you haven't already downloaded Vortex, then that means these files are useless to you and there is no point downloading them or attempting to use them.

If you are in the Vortex limited alpha, these files will contain fixes for bugs found during the limited alpha. Please download the new version if you do not already have it and install Vortex as usual. It shall update your current installation, but all your files and mod profiles/setups should remain completely intact.

Once again, there is no point downloading these files unless you've already been using Vortex as they will not work for you.

On 2/26/2018 at 10:47 PM, Elf Prince said:

Thanks @daedal

About VORTEX

The new version 0.13.0 was released on 13th of February, BUT:

NOTE: While this file page is now public, the files contained within are updates for users who are already in the limited alpha. If you don't know what that means, or you haven't already downloaded Vortex, then that means these files are useless to you and there is no point downloading them or attempting to use them.

If you are in the Vortex limited alpha, these files will contain fixes for bugs found during the limited alpha. Please download the new version if you do not already have it and install Vortex as usual. It shall update your current installation, but all your files and mod profiles/setups should remain completely intact.

Once again, there is no point downloading these files unless you've already been using Vortex as they will not work for you.

So...

Soon you will have a Vortex  + important info, help, tips & tricks thread :smiley:

8 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

So...

Soon you will have a Vortex  + important info, help, tips & tricks thread :smiley:

Hahaha - My current life is busy as JFK :classic_biggrin:. I doubt I will have a time to do testing of Vortex since I barely have a time to play Skyrim, but who knows. I enjoyed in testing NMM although all versions above 0.61.+ pissed me of sometimes. :smile:

1 hour ago, Elf Prince said:

Hahaha - My current life is busy as JFK :classic_biggrin:. I doubt I will have a time to do testing of Vortex since I barely have a time to play Skyrim, but who knows. I enjoyed in testing NMM although all versions above 0.61.+ pissed me of sometimes. :smile:

Hey, run a few confirmed basic mods through the system to give it some testing. Nothing much, just some quick run through. I do the same sometimes for testing mods for authors... just a quick install and an hour of testing whatever is needed. :smile: If it has any of the features like MO (where you can have different setups etc) then it should be easy. Take it slow add a few simple mods here then there and so forth next thing you know you will have all the mods at Nexus and Lovers. lOL..

Last I heard at the moment Vortex does not allow for installing mods like MO does, it copies a similar install method to NMM where it fills your data folder with links to the original folders, from what I've gathered. It's kind of all confusing as hell to me. I've downloaded the alpha but it looks all "Metro UI" and I don't know if I like it much, also it's not very usable at the moment, in comparison to MO and NMM it's less user friendly imo and way more confusing.

Time may change that opinion though so don't take everything I say for gospel/truth.

1 hour ago, Rebel Marauder said:

Last I heard at the moment Vortex does not allow for installing mods like MO does, it copies a similar install method to NMM where it fills your data folder with links to the original folders, from what I've gathered. It's kind of all confusing as hell to me. I've downloaded the alpha but it looks all "Metro UI" and I don't know if I like it much, also it's not very usable at the moment, in comparison to MO and NMM it's less user friendly imo and way more confusing.

Time may change that opinion though so don't take everything I say for gospel/truth.

Yes, I figured it was going to be setup like that. However, if they have profiles and it works well then it is still good. The Profile option or having the ability to have different setup for different play though. Even tually one could have all the mods found in the net installed and just pick and choose.

I think I'm gonna wait with installing Vortex (when it will be available for public) until they make it user friendly and eliminate anything that is dependent to the third side (original folder link). That's why I returned to 0.56.1. It doesn't remove downloaded and installed mods via NMM unlike other versions with VirtualInstall that removes mods from HDD once you download them and uninstall them via manager. NMM 0.56.1 is the golden version of all NMM versions.

Hey, run a few confirmed basic mods through the system to give it some testing. Nothing much, just some quick run through. I do the same sometimes for testing mods for authors... just a quick install and an hour of testing whatever is needed. :smile: If it has any of the features like MO (where you can have different setups etc) then it should be easy. Take it slow add a few simple mods here then there and so forth next thing you know you will have all the mods at Nexus and Lovers. lOL..

Not a bad idea @RitualClarity :smile:

Thank you!

And now the reason I am writing. Version 64.2:

A mod here at loverslab called "apropos" gets installed just fine,

but if you try to move it from the "unassigned" category, the NMM console becomes unresponsive.

It is the single mod of many that I have installed that exhibits this behavior.

It is not an especially *large* file, but it *does* have a large amount of text files, that is how it works.

It (the picture) shows 63.14 but the new version does the exact same thing.

Also, the tracelog is very old, I am not sure why, and I'm hoping it's newer inside of itself.

It does not affect the game play, but the reason it cannot be moved to a different category would be helpful, thanks.

My guesses would probably just annoy you so I will wait for your cogent responses.

nmm2.JPG

TraceLog20180210131442.txt

I've never tried moving Apropos to a new category as I don't use categories (I personally don't see the point as I know what each mod does, but that's just me).

But I have had to uninstall Apropos once or twice and although it deactivates okay if you then right click on it it does freeze everything for a good few minutes before the right mouse menu appears. I've never seen this with any other mod only Apropos and have assumed it's because of the large database attached to it which NMM is trying to work with.

It's never really worried me after the first time once I realised it's just something to do with the mod, so I expect it now