NMM from 0.52.+to 0.70.+ ( important info, help, tips & tricks)

Question to those that love NMM and used it for a LOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time. :P

I have quite a bit of "garbage" in NMM now. Loads of mods that have the little triangle! etc.

I'm sorry, what do you mean mods with "triangle"..... I don't remember I ever had any. Can yo explain?

He should be talking about that little yellow (sometimes grey) triangle sign displayed when a new mod version is available on Nexus.

I have quite a bit of "garbage" in NMM now. Loads of mods that have the little triangle! etc.

I know it isn't hurting much having them there but do you guys, gals and aliens :P remove them and clean it up. i have enough that recently I have started renaming some of the files (in the manager) becuase the author can't for some reason keep a consistent naming convention :dodgy: but even with that it is getting quite large. 

I was thinking of at least removing the obsolete replaced mods (keeping the most current versions of course) and any other mods, again most current version even if I am not currently using them.

Thoughts?

I keep most everything I download unless I find a much better executed, higher visual or audio version of it to download, but in order to keep the yellow triangles at bay I try and rename them or renumber them or if that doesn't work I turn off the update notification in NMM for those specific mods and check periodically for updates.

I know it isn't hurting much having them there but do you guys, gals and aliens :P remove them and clean it up. i have enough that recently I have started renaming some of the files (in the manager) becuase the author can't for some reason keep a consistent naming convention :dodgy: but even with that it is getting quite large. 

I was thinking of at least removing the obsolete replaced mods (keeping the most current versions of course) and any other mods, again most current version even if I am not currently using them.

Thoughts?

I've used it for almost 5 years I think.  I created new categories for each of the categories I use (ex. clothing unused) and put the unused mods in that, so that reinstalling everything I want after a screw up is easier.  I just recently started deleting the obsolete versions because it was getting verrrrrrry crowded in there and I just  couldn't give myself a good reason to keep them anymore.  Anything I did want to keep archived I moved from the NMM mods directory and put on another drive.

I've always renamed some files for the reason you gave, and because optional files for the mod are often named differently and I want to keep all parts of a mod together.

I have actually never thought of this but now that you have mentioned it I will most likely follow this tactic in some way to make my lists more streamlined.

I'm sorry, what do you mean mods with "triangle"..... I don't remember I ever had any. Can yo explain?

The triangle is the mod update warning that NMM shows when a different version is available (sometimes it's not even an update relevant to the version of the mod your using, for example if your using a CBBE version of armor and the new updated version is for JaneBod and it tells you it's the newest version this can be problematic for the end user)

Comes to find out, NET Framework 4.6.1 was long already installed.

NMM still didn't work after the fact.

RIP.

But thanks for the assistance nonetheless, looks like I'm forced to use MO for the rest of the time being.

Might as well make use of the knowledge I have in file transferring and stuff.

Thoughts?

I've used it for almost 5 years I think.  I created new categories for each of the categories I use (ex. clothing unused) and put the unused mods in that, so that reinstalling everything I want after a screw up is easier.  I just recently started deleting the obsolete versions because it was getting verrrrrrry crowded in there and I just  couldn't give myself a good reason to keep them anymore.  Anything I did want to keep archived I moved from the NMM mods directory and put on another drive.

I've always renamed some files for the reason you gave, and because optional files for the mod are often named differently and I want to keep all parts of a mod together.

OH.. I can open the NMM folder and find the mods directory and then archive it elsewhere. Thought about that but sometimes it is hard to find the right mod considering the names might be different (if I renamed them earlier. ) However a easy fix would be to just archive the mod folder on a timely basis. Then move the files over to another location.. this takes care of the removed files and gives me a raw backup .. to boot. :)

The warning that is given when the mods are out of day and need update (update available on Nexus)

He should be talking about that little yellow (sometimes grey) triangle sign displayed when a new mod version is available on Nexus.

Yes.. that .

Thoughts?

I keep most everything I download unless I find a much better executed, higher visual or audio version of it to download, but in order to keep the yellow triangles at bay I try and rename them or renumber them or if that doesn't work I turn off the update notification in NMM for those specific mods and check periodically for updates.

Thoughts?

I have actually never thought of this but now that you have mentioned it I will most likely follow this tactic in some way to make my lists more streamlined.

The triangle is the mod update warning that NMM shows when a different version is available (sometimes it's not even an update relevant to the version of the mod your using, for example if your using a CBBE version of armor and the new updated version is for JaneBod and it tells you it's the newest version this can be problematic for the end user)

Yes.. correct.

Comes to find out, NET Framework 4.6.1 was long already installed.

NMM still didn't work after the fact.

RIP.

But thanks for the assistance nonetheless, looks like I'm forced to use MO for the rest of the time being.

Might as well make use of the knowledge I have in file transferring and stuff.

there is a MO thread that i frequent at.. Not so much activity there now that MO has been discontinued but there are some very informative people there that can give you some good advise on your moving to MO. I have some sigs that can give you links to good resources.. Good luck. Hope MO works as good for you as NMM did.

Oh, those triangles. My apologies. I didn't understand what is he talking about because I have them disabled in my manager. I'm having only few greyed ones.

I have a separate folder on the another partition for old mods. Some of them a better then their updates. I also renamed them.

No problems.

These are growing pains for using a new manager. Nothing more. How to handle the files, what to do with the old ones etc. The advanced usage that most never cover under tutorials or guides.

Thank you for your observation. :) You've right.

I'm aware of the need to update OP. It's a big mess. Situation is alarmed. It's a huge job and I don't have a time. But I can promise that I will do it.

I wish if someone else would help me with is. If I do it alone, nobody knows when I would be able to do it. I HEED A HELP.  :)

Your OP is good enough if

• there is a current version available (for those without access to Nexus)
  • version description however you place that in the last most post so might not even need to be there.
  • Perhaps a few sources for tutoirals from Gopher or such so people can find some info on their own.

See it don't need to be very big. Just some sources, current version and what it can do (which can be told would be updated on the last post you make then just occasionally update / copy paste your previous one if a few pages go ) All this is easy to do and keep up with. Most it would take is about 5~10 minutes a day.. perhaps while you check your PMs here or do some emails etc.

Dont get me wrong. it is nice that you have more info like how to backup etc as well. However if you find links it works just as well. If someone here post a nice one in the thread... link to that info. It is great that you use to test all the versions to be sure it worked (at least with Skyrim) however not necessary. The community can chime in. Let the community take charge and direct where this thread goes (provided it is still related to NMM ;)) If you have a few minutes.. chime in with your experiences just like anyone else here with experience using NMM. Much like those above that chimed in and gave info on the triangles, and how they handle their obsolete mods. Useful info from experienced members is always great to have. More the better. Different thoughts and approaches. We did this in MO. I had a different way of handling SKSE and other tools from the main use. Some liked it .. others didn't and went back to the prescribed way.. Both are great. My way was different and to some it was better. Having a different view or report from different users helped many that needed it.

Those that are in a sensitive play  through can ignore the updates unless it is something they need until well later. Those that aren't can run the update and give their thoughts. Much like I do with Fallout.

Speaking of which I ran my Fallout after doing my updates to the most current version and no problems with the assets being missing, dropping out or not working. All is fine with the current version and Fallout4.

Off topic Elf Prince.

Like the avatar however what is on the side?

Thanks ritual.

Sorry I don't understand "what is on the side?". What did you mean by that?

Ah.. your avatar looks like someone wearing a suit with their arm out on the right side as you look at it. The left side (other side) has something but I can't make it out. Not important just curious.. reason I mentioned it as "off topic"

:)

I don't see what you described but here is the original picture

post-894077-0-09304800-1478230074_thumb.jpg

Ah.. your avatar looks like someone wearing a suit with their arm out on the right side as you look at it. The left side (other side) has something but I can't make it out. Not important just curious.. reason I mentioned it as "off topic"

:)

I don't see what you described but here is the original picture

attachicon.gifAnnex - Presley, Elvis (King Creole)_10.jpg

Original

post-89432-0-32959100-1478254294.jpg

Your avatar

post-89432-0-71964500-1478254303_thumb.jpg

You did some editing and there is a line (in red) not sure what you were intending with that.

However the original shows why I thought your avatar was cool :P

However the original shows why I thought your avatar was cool :P

Hahaha - I see now what are you trying to say. Well, in that time I had a problem posting the avatar. LL simply didn't want to accept it and it was always "out of the box" so I found original picture of Elvis and replaced it.

New topic is added to OP: Installing NMM and everything related to mods (Video tutorials for beginners by Gopher)

I'm still working on upgrading OP. I think I did 90% of work. If you still find that something is missing or should be changed, please, post your comments.

Thank you.

Two new tips.

1. Mod Updating warning (small yellow triangle with exclamation mark)

- I personally do not use this option. It is disabled in my manager. I rather press "Check for updates" icon on the left side of the panel (binocular with the curved orange arrow pointed to the right) and if some mod in my load order has available update, I got grey triangle by the mod version and if I want to check update, I just press the link and I was automatically brought to the mod on Nexus. Anyhow, This option can be disabled, partially enabled (single mod) and fully enabled (all mods). - see the picture bellow

- If you like your present version of the updated mod, but still want to test a new one, I would suggest to manually download new version of the mod, not via manager. Save downloaded mod to some folder outside of Skyrim installation directory. Also, do the same for your present mod if you didn't do it earlier - (I always have all my mods saved on another HDD partition and renamed if necessary). Doing it, you will reduce "mess" in mods directory.

post-894077-0-38424100-1478402413_thumb.png

2. Checking the mods for update has now 2 options instead of 3 as before. You can check/fix missing Id's and new updates in one option and check only for missing Id's, under the second option. If you don't want to do your manager to check a new versions of your mod, press the second option, especially if you have problems with your game. Sometimes fixing missing ID helps in resolving your game problem(s). Although I haven't been playing Skyrim for long time now, I always use this function. Doesn't hurt to use from time to time. - see the picture

post-894077-0-16067400-1478402845_thumb.png

So, had a huge instability and I had to clean out my mods and reinstall from the ground up. :/

Let me say right now that A) I'm not a computer novice, B) I'm NOT a modding pro, and C) yes, I am using Nexus Mod Manager. DON'T tell me to switch to MO, unless you are willing to sit down and walk me through how to correct every mod issue so I can use it with MO.

MY PROBLEM

Downloaded the SL framework, tried to install via NMM. Got the following error:

3eHe2uZ.png

Seems to me a file is missing. Downloading the framework again doesn't seem to help. the other links provided don't have the needed file either.

Anybody got a fix? I'd REALLY hate to do a manual install. >.<

[ ... ]

1. Are you running NMM as Admin?

2. option:

If this is for the old Skyrim - use NMM 0.56

Direct download link from Nexus : http://nmm.nexusmods.com/Releases/4.5/Nexus%20Mod%20Manager-0.56.1.exe

You will need to uninstall your mods with the NMM you are using now and install them with 0.56. 

The new NMM has problems with its virtual install. Seems most people don't experience them, but if you do it is safer to move to the last stable version. And also - 0.56 is not only more stable, doesn't destroy your setup when ( if ) crashing and is way faster.

Two new tips.

1. Mod Updating warning (small yellow triangle with exclamation mark)

- I personally do not use this option. It is disabled in my manager. I rather press "Check for updates" icon on the left side of the panel (binocular with the curved orange arrow pointed to the right) and if some mod in my load order has available update, I got grey triangle by the mod version and if I want to check update, I just press the link and I was automatically brought to the mod on Nexus. Anyhow, This option can be disabled, partially enabled (single mod) and fully enabled (all mods). - see the picture bellow

- If you like your present version of the updated mod, but still want to test a new one, I would suggest to manually download new version of the mod, not via manager. Save downloaded mod to some folder outside of Skyrim installation directory. Also, do the same for your present mod if you didn't do it earlier - (I always have all my mods saved on another HDD partition and renamed if necessary). Doing it, you will reduce "mess" in mods directory.

attachicon.gif2016-11-06 03_59_24-Nexus Mod Manager (0.63.6) - Skyrim.png

2. Checking the mods for update has now 2 options instead of 3 as before. You can check/fix missing Id's and new updates in one option and check only for missing Id's, under the second option. If you don't want to do your manager to check a new versions of your mod, press the second option, especially if you have problems with your game. Sometimes fixing missing ID helps in resolving your game problem(s). Although I haven't been playing Skyrim for long time now, I always use this function. Doesn't hurt to use from time to time. - see the picture

attachicon.gif2016-11-06 03_59_55-Nexus Mod Manager (0.63.6) - Skyrim.png

Thanks .. useful info.

Does anyone have an idea when the Nexus servers will be back up reliably?

Edit:

Sorry realized that I wasn't so clear with that quesiton. The servers be up reliably so that one can log on using the NMM and download using it. Which brings me to another quesiton for those that are in the Know :D If you install a mod downloaded manually from Nexus... without changing the name (I.E. the added ID numbers on the end with version etc.) once it does come on line can you repair and get the info from Nexus? I think that should work but not sure.

[ ... ]

1. Are you running NMM as Admin?

2. option:

If this is for the old Skyrim - use NMM 0.56

Direct download link from Nexus : http://nmm.nexusmods.com/Releases/4.5/Nexus%20Mod%20Manager-0.56.1.exe

You will need to uninstall your mods with the NMM you are using now and install them with 0.56. 

The new NMM has problems with its virtual install. Seems most people don't experience them, but if you do it is safer to move to the last stable version. And also - 0.56 is not only more stable, doesn't destroy your setup when ( if ) crashing and is way faster.

1. Yes, I am running NMM as admin.

2. I'm not running the Special Edition, if that's what you mean by 'old', but my version is updated to the newest version available. That being said, THIS DID WORK. Not gonna update NMM again. XD

Thanks!

:D If you install a mod downloaded manually from Nexus... without changing the name (I.E. the added ID numbers on the end with version etc.) once it does come on line can you repair and get the info from Nexus? I think that should work but not sure.

It should. It worked for me. For instance. I had several mods that have been updated. After I tested those mods I didn't like the updates and I uninstall them. When I installed my old mods, NMM checked for their IDs and all worked fine. :)

06 03_59_55-Nexus Mod Manager (0.63.6) - Skyrim.png

Thanks .. useful info.

Does anyone have an idea when the Nexus servers will be back up reliably?

Edit:

Sorry realized that I wasn't so clear with that quesiton. The servers be up reliably so that one can log on using the NMM and download using it. Which brings me to another quesiton for those that are in the Know :D If you install a mod downloaded manually from Nexus... without changing the name (I.E. the added ID numbers on the end with version etc.) once it does come on line can you repair and get the info from Nexus? I think that should work but not sure.

Nope, no literal idea when the servers will be back up reliably or even if they ever will be, as for your 2nd question, that I can answer and very accurately to since I have done just that a few times recently.

It definitely does 100% work as long as the server connection to the nexus is good and not flaky like it has been for the past few days.

10 DAYS OLD NEWS but very important for those who doesn't know

posted by Dark0ne Site News
Hi folks,

As most of you know, Skyrim Special Edition was released on Friday and naturally, a lot of people are clamouring to get mods for the game. Skyrim has always been our most popular game on Nexus Mods and the release of the Special Edition has seen an unprecedented amount of users access our site over the past 36 hours. There are currently 16,500 people online this Saturday afternoon (in the UK) when, on a normal Saturday, it would be around 8,500 people. As you can imagine, our web servers are taking a hammering. Thankfully our download CDN is extremely responsive to these sorts of short-term bursts and it's happily pumping out 15 Gbit of traffic to people downloading mods from the site and counting.

Our previous highest simultaneous user count was back during the Fallout 4 launch at around about the 13,000 mark. With 16,500 users currently online right now at a time that isn't even peak time (peak time being 7-9pm GMT when both the EU and US are online at the same time), I think we're heading to loftier heights yet. Saturday also isn't our busiest day, Sunday is. It's going to be an interesting weekend...

The reason why I'm telling you all this is to manage your expectations of this site over the weekend. Demand for Skyrim mods is obviously ridiculously high right now as many people are coming back to the game and starting on a fresh install. We're doing better than we have done in the past, for sure, and we're carefully shuffling our limited resources around to try and optimise things as much as possible. If the site is slow for you, bear with us. Similarly, if you get a bit of "maintenance" downtime or the like, please, bear with us. We've got staff monitoring the situation 24/7 right now in shifts to make sure we keep on top of it, but we can only manage and shuffle so much before things get overloaded.

Lastly, if things get too bad, we'll have to shut off the NMM services (and potentially other services). While NMM is important to us, it requires a crazy amount of resources to keep up and running and if we find it's affecting the performance of the site too much (to the point the sites aren't able to load) then we'll shut NMM login and download services off until things cool down. You'll still be able to use NMM offline, and install mods manually (download the mod to your hard-drive, then drag and drop the mod from your hard-drive to NMM), you just won't be able to login and download files from within NMM until such time as we turn the services back on.

You don't need to tell us when you can't login or download via NMM because we know, we're the ones who did it! If you see people asking why NMM isn't working for them on our Discord or on the forums, please direct them to this news post for clarification.

Lastly, we're aware of a few minor issues on the Skyrim SE site right now. First, we know the favicon is the wrong colour. You don't need to continue letting us know! Second, we're aware of an issue with the categories on Skyrim SE getting a bit...muddled. This was due to a mistake we made before launching the site. We believe we've corrected it, but some of your mods might currently be in the wrong category. Sorry about that, please move it back to the right category for your mod at your convenience. Because of all these category changes, NMM users might find that the categories they see in NMM don't match with the categories on the site. When you see a category mismatch in NMM, click the Category menu button and select "Categories: Update and reset to Nexus site defaults". This will fix the issue for you.

Thank you for your patience during this time, and the support being offered from many of you.