[CK2] Static Portrait Replacer ver. 4.00 [CKII 2.7.1+ Compatible]

I know those portrait trait graphics aren't appealing to look at, although if you prefer, you can insert your own graphics. I have an example of that in the anime pack, complete with roll-over pop-up of the character and description.

I do wonder though... if I were to create a trait graphic with no graphic inside it, it might show up as a blank space. It would look awkward, but if you prefer that approach, it might be worth trying.

I just moved it to the leader traits slot and deleted them. Unfortunately, any leadership traits that come after (always does) will end up with awkward spaces but it's better than them being in where your traits are. Pretty sure modifiers works but I'm too lazy to bother, lol.

It's actually quite hard looking for images, lol, at least that aren't complete fanart and will look usable inside 152x152.

Yea true, it took me days before I fully completed just the portraits. Then of course, spelling is of MAJOR importance, so occasionally, I'd have a typo. Problem is a lot of my names for the portraits I use are Japanese names, so that made spelling them awkward.

I found a bug in my portraits_muslim_early.gfx file. I had an extra quotation mark near the end of the file, so every time the player opens a Charlemagne Muslim character's portrait, the game would crash! I would imagine this bug followed its way into Dark World, but I'm looking at Dark World's version of it, and it looks fine, so perhaps Dew fixed it already.

Here's the fixed version. Only use this if you're using the early Eastern Clothing pack:

Early Muslim Portrait Fix.zip

I've updated my mod to ver 1.01, adding all the portrait and clothing pack changes from all my post attachments to this point. It was getting a little out of hand with all the separate file fixes.

Just download the portrait pack you want and you should be set. No more separate downloads, until Paradox breaks things again.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617800462&searchtext= Here it is, Remedy, its a very good mod, ..could you make a compatibility patch? I don't understand "Any" of this, I could try, but I'm genuinely afraid I will break something.

I'm looking at the files now, and while I can guarantee I can get at least 21 of my custom portraits working, I'm confused why in the blinded, boils, and red dots property slots why it's associating being a zombie with having blinded, boils, and red dot properties. This is one of those cases I might have to just play the mod to understand it.

The dragons won't conflict with anything, because they're using the cultural method to assign portraits, which do not conflict with my approach.

Edit: Okay, I see now. The zombies are going to be a problem. Zombies take advantage of the blinded, boils, and red dot property slots to make the characters look like zombies. That's a huge issue. I can remove boils and/or red dots and leave the blinded slot on, but they'll look less like zombies. If you prefer to keep the zombies the way they are, the best I can do is 21 portraits atm until I play around with Ruen's ideas a bit more. It's your compatibility patch, so I'll leave it up to you how much zombie content you want to sacrifice if you need more than 21 portraits.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617800462&searchtext= Here it is, Remedy, its a very good mod, ..could you make a compatibility patch? I don't understand "Any" of this, I could try, but I'm genuinely afraid I will break something.

I'm looking at the files now, and while I can guarantee I can get at least 21 of my custom portraits working, I'm confused why in the blinded, boils, and red dots property slots why it's associating being a zombie with having blinded, boils, and red dot properties. This is one of those cases I might have to just play the mod to understand it.

The dragons won't conflict with anything, because they're using the cultural method to assign portraits, which do not conflict with my approach.

Edit: Okay, I see now. The zombies are going to be a problem. Zombies take advantage of the blinded, boils, and red dot property slots to make the characters look like zombies. That's a huge issue. I can remove boils and/or red dots and leave the blinded slot on, but they'll look less like zombies. If you prefer to keep the zombies the way they are, the best I can do is 21 portraits atm until I play around with Ruen's ideas a bit more. It's your compatibility patch, so I'll leave it up to you how much zombie content you want to sacrifice if you need more than 21 portraits.

expand frames from 22 to 27 then add to template 22*152, 5*152. it fucked up the numbering scheme but it's more to work with lol.

also, p2 looks like its not being used.

not using template anymore but it's getting annoying using paint.net to pin point where a multiple of 152 is at and get it wrong, your portraits end up with 5% shift by end of 26 images, and my god does it look horrible on screen

Mostly, i've been trying to use the Maya Cordelia picture, 21 is fine, to be honest. just woudl like to keep the maya cordelia look in 

Her look is in the boils section, dunno the number.

But 21 is fine

Mmm, yes, Maya Cordelia. You have good tastes, but I like my women even bitchier.

Anyways, here is the compatibility patch. I tested it and everything appears to work, including the zombies. I also added the other 20 portraits sharing the same portrait file as Maya, but you can just ignore those if all you want is Maya. Select the Maya trait in your Ruler Designer, or in console type add_trait maya

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dfdg5zr81ljio7p/mythos_ReMeDy_Portrait_Replacer_Patch+ver+0.90.zip

Please note this patch will become outdated once CKII releases another major expansion, or Mythos does a major update, so use it while it's hot.

Oh come on game! Let me use the damned patch....It goes to the paradox loading screen just fine then it stops responding, if I turn the patch off, it loads just fine. This isn't fair. This is not fair! I'm starting to get ticked off at this game...

Let me download my own file and try it myself here in about half an hour. That'd be funny if I forgot another file somewhere, but I'm not seeing any problems on my end.

------

Edit: I have an idea. Are you subscribed to mythos? Try unpacking the mod files from the zip file, unsubscribe to the mod from Steam, and have only the mythos mod folder inside  your documents mod folder. My .mod file is looking for a mythos folder, but since it might be zipped for you, it might not be able to find all the files.

------

Edit #2: I had a chance to test it, and yea, I can confirm you need to unpack the mythos zip file into a folder with the name "mythos," otherwise my patch can't hook properly to the mod. You really should be doing this anyways with all your important mods, because if the modder happens to update Mythos, it might fuck up your save games. Subscribe, unpack the mod into a mythos folder, and unsubscribe.

Having said that... Even when attempting to run my patch with the zip file, my game wasn't crashing. Part of my mod worked, but not all of it, but it certainly wasn't crashing. My theory is you need to go into your documents mod folder and delete anything resembling Mythos, and start over. Maybe you have loose files from an older Mythos version, or loose Mythos gfx's from older saves floating around. Be sure you're also updated to the latest Mythos version (Feb 8th), as that is the version my patch is expecting.

Oh come on game! Let me use the damned patch....It goes to the paradox loading screen just fine then it stops responding, if I turn the patch off, it loads just fine. This isn't fair. This is not fair! I'm starting to get ticked off at this game...

I just realized Mythos is a very small mod, so I'm just going to give you all the folders of both my mod and my version of Mythos. Throw them in your mod folder and enable both. If it still crashes, you've got to clean out your mod folder.

mythos stuff (put everything in your documents mod folder).zip

Updated the files to version 1.02, which includes support for South Indian portraits that I had initially overlooked on Conclave's release. If you already have version 1.01 of my mod, just download the following file and you're set.

Once I get the free time, I'll look at expanding the amount of portraits my mod offers, but right now, I'm still tinkering with some Conclave things.

portraits_southindian for Conclave.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have two questions:

- For your Game of Thrones mod and similar projects, wouldn't it be more sensible to check for the character ID instead of the trait (and completely remove the traits) in the portrait file? Since the portraits are all for 'historical' characters (i.e. none that are created per event or are born later), this would be easier and remove the need for any additional events and stuff.

- I'm a bit confused about this mod being not compatible with custom culture mods. Are you just referring to mods that change the graphical_culture? I thought portraits merely depend on that, and if I just have a mod with many differently named cultures that refer to the vanilla graphical_cultures, shouldn't this still work fine?

- Assuming I read this correctly, yea, what I've been doing with editing GoT characters is I search for their char ID and add a portrait trait, corresponding to their char ID. It's easy for GoT, because like you mentioned, since they're historical characters, I can assign traits to char ID's, so as soon as a new game begins, the portraits are automatically assigned. No events or console usage is required.

- It's funny you mention that, because rea_jak from the Dark World topic managed to successfully implement the anime cultural portrait pack with my own. What we discovered is that, yea, my mod doesn't conflict because my mod uses property slots to integrate the portraits, whereas the anime cultural pack uses a cultural approach. My mod is simply a static overlay, whereas the anime cultural pack deals with overhauling the game's art assets. Furthermore, I've noticed other static overlay mods, such as GoT, use dragons and giant portraits, but because they have unique cultures, they do not conflict with my mod. The only time my mod conflicts with another is when there's a property slot conflict. Because unique cultures use their own sub-set of property slot files, that's not a problem. I'll have to update that info in my topic post.

Quick info update: I'm noticing some people are overlooking the South Indian portrait DLC as a requirement, because it's not on the Steam DLC list and is instead a free DLC provided by Paradox on their website. Basically, even if you own all the Steam portrait pack DLC, you may not be fulfilling all the requirements of my mod.

To obtain the free DLC, visit Paradoxplaza.com, login to your account, go to edit account, then access the "keys" section. What you're looking for is this:

post-204-0-50471300-1456312953_thumb.jpg

Redeem the key on Steam. In the event you can't obtain this DLC for whatever reason, or don't want to bother with this nonsense (I don't blame you, lol), please delete southindian.gfx from the interface folder.

How would I go about adding an additional portrait swapping bar to the existing 4? 

I managed to figure out how to add additional portraits possible for Dark World to randomly choose from.  So I have 20 portraits with a 5% chance to occur for female werewolves and 10 with 10% chance for male werewolves...(the male werewolves required a long time looking through furry websites :mellow: which I am not really into) I then realized that the 84 possible portraits are going to be less than I needed for what i'm hoping to do. Now i'm stuck wondering how to create a new bar.

Edit: Ah, it appears reading the thread answered my question unfortunately. Though i'm still a little confused

# CULTURE_INDEX: 0 = clothes behind, 1 = headgear behind, 2 = clothes, 3 = headgear mid, 4 = clothes infront, 5 = headgear

# african Male
portraitType = {
name = "PORTRAIT_africangfx_male"
effectFile = "gfx/FX/portrait.lua"
layer = { # GFX_TYPE:[d|p]INDEX:COLOR_LINK
"GFX_character_background:p0"
"GFX_african_male_clothes_behind:p3:c0"
"GFX_african_male_headgear_behind:p5:c1"
"GFX_african_male_hair_behind:p1:h:y"
"GFX_african_male_beard_behind:p4:h:y"
"GFX_african_male_base:p2"
"GFX_african_male_neck:d0"
"GFX_african_male_chin:d1"
"GFX_african_male_cheeks:d4"
"GFX_african_male_mouth:d2"
"GFX_african_male_nose:d3"
"GFX_african_male_eyes:d6"
"GFX_african_male_eyes2:d6:e"
"GFX_character_scars:p7:y"
"GFX_character_reddots:p8"
"GFX_character_boils:p9"
"GFX_character_blinded_eyes:p10"
"GFX_african_male_clothes:p3:c2"
"GFX_african_male_headgear_mid:p5:c3"
"GFX_african_male_ear:d7"
"GFX_african_male_beard:p4:h:y"
  "GFX_african_male_hair:p1:h:y"
"GFX_empty:p3:c4"
"GFX_african_male_headgear:p5:c5"
"GFX_character_imprisoned:p6"
"GFX_player_overlay:p11"
"GFX_character_remedy_portrait_swapping:p8"
"GFX_character_remedy_portrait_swapping2:p9"
"GFX_character_remedy_portrait_swapping3:p10"
"GFX_character_remedy_portrait_swapping4:p11"
}

What would happen if I added the line "GFX_character_remedy_portrait_swapping5:p12" in there and created the relevant portrait.dds as well as adding an appropriate p12 section in portrait_properties.txt?

The above quote is from my modified Dark World gfx file which was originally copy pasted from the anime portraits mod. It's probably sloppy but it worked lol.

How would I go about adding an additional portrait swapping bar to the existing 4? 

I managed to figure out how to add additional portraits possible for Dark World to randomly choose from.  So I have 20 portraits with a 5% chance to occur for female werewolves and 10 with 10% chance for male werewolves...(the male werewolves required a long time looking through furry websites :mellow: which I am not really into) I then realized that the 84 possible portraits are going to be less than I needed for what i'm hoping to do. Now i'm stuck wondering how to create a new bar.

Edit: Ah, it appears reading the thread answered my question unfortunately. Though i'm still a little confused

# CULTURE_INDEX: 0 = clothes behind, 1 = headgear behind, 2 = clothes, 3 = headgear mid, 4 = clothes infront, 5 = headgear

# african Male

portraitType = {

}

What would happen if I added the line "GFX_character_remedy_portrait_swapping5:p12"

in there and created the relevant portrait.dds as well as adding an appropriate p12 section in portrait_properties.txt?

The above quote is from my modified Dark World gfx file which was originally copy pasted from the anime portraits mod. It's probably sloppy but it worked lol.

Collect the images first, see if you actually do need that much.

I managed to figure out how to add additional portraits possible for Dark World to randomly choose from. So I have 20 portraits with a 5% chance to occur for female werewolves and 10 with 10% chance for male werewolves...(the male werewolves required a long time looking through furry websites :mellow: which I am not really into) I then realized that the 84 possible portraits are going to be less than I needed for what i'm hoping to do. Now i'm stuck wondering how to create a new bar.

# african Male

portraitType = {

}

What would happen if I added the line "GFX_character_remedy_portrait_swapping5:p12" in there and created the relevant portrait.dds as well as adding an appropriate p12 section in portrait_properties.txt?

Do you only need one more bar? If so, I was going to edit out the scars gfx, since I don't really care for it. That would up the portrait count to 105, and then I still need to test the possibility of adding over 21 portraits to each bar, but in my initial tests on this, CKII wouldn't recognize anything over frame 22 (portrait 21 in each .dds file). Perhaps I overlooked something.

In regards to adding a p12 line, there's more to it than that, but I can almost guarantee you can't simply add new property slots, as CKII seems to have that hard-coded. I'll give it a shot though, just to confirm what happens.

Well it's not that I *need* that much. I really just want to know if its possible. Besides, for what i'd like to do i would need way more than 84 slots  ;)

Theres no harm in trying is there?

It is possible, it depends how much you want to strip from the portraits. If you want all possible slots then you will end up with either character clothing or some other accessory missing either that or they won't even have portraits.

The most you can get away with Remedy's method, without affecting character portraits, is probably 150-250, if you want more slots then replace all property lines except the imprison one, you'll be at 311 with every single character missing character portraits until you assign them.

84 portraits may not seem like a lot but it is tedious to find quality or also resizable images at 152x152 unless you're into some furry or clopping shit.

Might as well collect them before hand before wasting time creating more slots that might not even be used.

I believe there is another method for static portraits that involves culture instead of traits but I'm not sure about that

Well it's not that I *need* that much. I really just want to know if its possible. Besides, for what i'd like to do i would need way more than 84 slots  ;)

Theres no harm in trying is there?

It is possible, it depends how much you want to strip from the portraits. If you want all possible slots then you will end up with either character clothing or some other accessory missing either that or they won't even have portraits.

The most you can get away with Remedy's method, without affecting character portraits, is probably 150-250, if you want more slots then replace all property lines except the imprison one, you'll be at 311 with every single character missing character portraits until you assign them.

84 portraits may not seem like a lot but it is tedious to find quality or also resizable images at 152x152 unless you're into some furry or clopping shit.

Might as well collect them before hand before wasting time creating more slots that might not even be used.

I believe there is another method for static portraits that involves culture instead of traits but I'm not sure about that

I was hoping there might be a way to add extra property lines in some way without replacing scars and such. though 150-250 should be more than enough.

To answer your concern about not finding enough pictures: Theres an endless amount of possible neko eared wolf girls on any Booru so that i could manage to make a portrait for female werewolves be a 1 in 100 chance of being selected lol. Albeit I really had to dig for to find male werewolf portraits to even find 20 =P (trying to find werewolves that don't look like Fursona's was pretty tough). Now if I were to add a similar number for Orcs, Elves, Kitsune's, etc, id need a ton more space.

Do you only need one more bar? If so, I was going to edit out the scars gfx, since I don't really care for it. That would up the portrait count to 105, and then I still need to test the possibility of adding over 21 portraits to each bar, but in my initial tests on this, CKII wouldn't recognize anything over frame 22 (portrait 21 in each .dds file). Perhaps I overlooked something.

In regards to adding a p12 line, there's more to it than that, but I can almost guarantee you can't simply add new property slots, as CKII seems to have that hard-coded. I'll give it a shot though, just to confirm what happens.

From my own testing it seems adding the line doesn't work. The game crashes if I add it. It's disappointing to me that there appears to be a hard limit to the amount of static portraits you can put into the game though.

As far as scars are concerned It would be nice to have extra slots instead, at least for me personally.

Edit: trying to increase the frame count on my own mostly failed. I can't get past 27 frames and if add more it will just restart at 0. So if I give portrait #29 for example then it will actually show portrait #1

From my own testing it seems adding the line doesn't work. The game crashes if I add it. It's disappointing to me that there appears to be a hard limit to the amount of static portraits you can put into the game though.

As far as scars are concerned It would be nice to have extra slots instead, at least for me personally.

Edit: trying to increase the frame count on my own mostly failed. I can't get past 27 frames and if add more it will just restart at 0. So if I give portrait #29 for example then it will actually show portrait #1

So you're saying you managed to get my bars up to 27 frames (up from 22)? So it's confirmed you managed to squeeze another five portraits on each file? That's pretty huge, because if I edit out scars, that's 21 + 5, then 5 x 4 for the other four existing bars, so I'm looking at 130 portraits total. Creampie mentioned having hit a frame cap of 27 portraits also, so that's great news I can push it further.

I'm about to play around with everything over this weekend, as I'm starting a new CKII game here pretty soon. I was stuck on a Conclave game for a while, then got sucked into Street Fighter V, lol.